Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:09:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227941 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Melissa Reese as second keyboardist
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Melissa Reese as second keyboardist  (Read 32125 times)
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2016, 12:25:15 PM »

They wanted to be a two guitar player band back in the late-90's. They added a third guitar player (Robin) because of Buckethead.

Yeah, it made sense for the type sound they were going for. One lead player to play the more traditional guitar solos, and one to do the shredding type.

I think it's safe to say there won't be any super-fast shredding solos on any songs recorded from here on out. It backs the argument they might now go for a more classic hard rock GN'R style of sound.

That was not my point. They wanted to keep the two guitar player concept even without Slash.
And I believe that there are two lead guitarists in GN'R now  Slash and Richard.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:26:54 PM by Sosso » Logged

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »

They wanted to be a two guitar player band back in the late-90's. They added a third guitar player (Robin) because of Buckethead.

Yeah, it made sense for the type sound they were going for. One lead player to play the more traditional guitar solos, and one to do the shredding type.

I think it's safe to say there won't be any super-fast shredding solos on any songs recorded from here on out. It backs the argument they might now go for a more classic hard rock GN'R style of sound.

That was not my point. They wanted to keep the two guitar player concept even without Slash.
And I believe that there are two lead guitarists now in GN'R. Slash and Richard.

At one point that changed though, they went with three guitarists in 2000 and has stuck with it ever since. When Buckethead left, they brought in a replacement for him. They could've continued with two players, but didn't.

I don't know if Richard is classified as a lead player now?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2016, 12:36:17 PM »

And I believe that there are two lead guitarists now in GN'R. Slash and Richard.

At one point that changed though, they went with three guitarists in 2000 and has stuck with it ever since. When Buckethead left, they brought in a replacement for him. They could've continued with two players, but didn't.

He has played some lead guitar parts on Chinese Democracy and Better according to some reviews.
He plays rhythm guitar on the old songs and some lead guitar on songs from CD.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2016, 12:38:13 PM »

He has played some lead guitar parts on Chinese Democracy and Better according to some reviews.
He plays rhythm guitar on the old songs and some lead guitar on songs from CD.

But he's always played some lead parts in GN'R right?

Rocket Queen, November Rain, You're Crazy and KOHD comes to mind.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »

I guess both sides are making concessions to make this happen.
And if they plan on keep working together, maybe release new material, they'll have to keep doing so. That's why Melissa being in the band doesn't seem very feasible (if her role has to do with effects and stuff like that as I imagine). I can't see Duff and Slash persuing that kind of sound and they also have been quite vocal about having 20 people onstage in the past. It's fine to have her now, since they've agreed on playing CD songs, which is something that Axl must have insisted on doing.
But then Axl joking about the setlist and how he was just following their lead, maybe shows that he's more manageable and ready to make a few concessions to them. So it's working both ways. But who knows?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »

In 2005 they wanted to tour and reached Bumblefoot for that, but it went sour. In 2006, Richard and Robin actually rehearsed to have only 2 guitars in the band  but then something changed right before the Hammerstein shows, so Bumblefoot was called again and got the gig. As far as I know, Richard was supposed to play Bucket leads in 2006 just like he's doing now.

zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2016, 01:47:57 PM »

yes, but like this it looks weird. Buckethead was in fact Robin's replacement (his contract ended, so he went back touring with NIN), Paul Huge was the other guitarist. so they had Paul Huge and Buckethead. but after NIN tour ended, Robin was interested in getting back into GNR so they ended up with 3 guitars. Robin in fact wasn't out for long, just a few months or a year at most, he left in late summer 1999 and in 2000 he was already back. see the link in my signature for details and enjoy the reading Smiley

Sosso
VIP

« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »

yes, but like this it looks weird. Buckethead was in fact Robin's replacement (his contract ended, so he went back touring with NIN), Paul Huge was the other guitarist. so they had Paul Huge and Buckethead. but after NIN tour ended, Robin was interested in getting back into GNR so they ended up with 3 guitars. Robin in fact wasn't out for long, just a few months or a year at most, he left in late summer 1999 and in 2000 he was already back. see the link in my signature for details and enjoy the reading Smiley

Originally it was gonna be a two-guitar player group. I split forever so I thought and went back to Nine Inch Nails. In my absence they were looking to replace me and Josh Freese, the drummer at the time, had brought Buckethead in to essentially fill the slot I had left. They really liked him but he's kind of a stunt guitar player. He does a very specific thing and he has a real genius sensibility about him. But he rarely plays the same thing twice ever and when you're trying to cruise through "Nightrain" that just makes it a little (laughs) too different. So they needed someone to anchor the songs. They kept Buckethead to do what Buckethead does and they needed someone else to play alongside.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/robin_finck_ive_been_very_blessed_with_the_opportunities_and_ive_enjoyed_saying_yes_to_them.html

zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2016, 02:25:52 PM »

yes, that's right. Buckethead (and Bumblefoot) were solo virtuosos, the additional spice of their music. not replacements for lead guitarist, but adding something completely different. interesting times Smiley

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2016, 06:41:52 PM »

yes, that's right. Buckethead (and Bumblefoot) were solo virtuosos, the additional spice of their music. not replacements for lead guitarist, but adding something completely different. interesting times Smiley

Yeah, Lead Guitar Was Robin /// I Believe From 2009-2014, Lead Guitar Was BBFT & ASHBA

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: