Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 10:13:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227977 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [UPDATES] April 16, 2016 ? Coachella, Weekend 1
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [UPDATES] April 16, 2016 ? Coachella, Weekend 1  (Read 101009 times)
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #360 on: April 17, 2016, 12:10:47 PM »

Is it just me or does everyone chuckle when you read a reviewer and they comment how great Axl sounds recently or how great he sounded ripping through Whole Lotta Rosie and riff raff... When he's for the most part sounded this good and he's always ripped through ac/dc covers.... I was reading some ac/dc fans comments from last night and they were so happy but also at the same token they'd say Brian lost his voices years ago, etc.

I think many reviews of GN'R in the past 5 years were written with a preconceived bias against Axl, just because Slash wasn't in the band. Even if there were concerts were Axl killed it through the whole set, they felt they couldn't write a 100% positive review. It would somehow validate that version of GN'R, and it would go against their own feelings for the situation.

That being said, even if his vocals were always good in the past few years, Axl's voice is at an higher level now, so far at this year's concerts.

2006, 2010 and 2016 are so far the standout years I think. Looking at that, all of them being the first year of a touring cycle (2009 was at the end of the year, and can be tied in with 2010), let's hope he sustains this high, high level of singing for years to come now.

Yeah I agree mostly. It was more about everyone leaving besides him... then after all that getting a new lineup that changed constantly and just produced 1 album.

That is mainly where the critical stuff comes from. It is universal. I mean if you weren't upset about the changing guitarists and the long wait for the album then you weren't human.

(I'm sure some "people" will act like this is some negative thing, when it is just the truth)

Post 2011 him voice was pretty average. I  mean it was fine, just weaker than it had been. He's back and doing really good now. Best since 2011 for me.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #361 on: April 17, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »

new lineup that changed constantly and just produced 1 album.
you mean the "revolving door" "constantly changing" 2009-2014(15) lineup, which was the same for 5(6) years and was the most stable in GNR history ever? hihi

Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #362 on: April 17, 2016, 12:36:40 PM »

you mean the "revolving door" "constantly changing" 2009-2014(15) lineup, which was the same for 5(6) years and was the most stable in GNR history ever? hihi

What are you talking about? I wasn't slighting the band. It's people like you that are always out for an argument. I was just stating what most of the critics are probably hard on Axl and Gn'R for lately... before the great reunion shows and news.

The same lineup? That doesn't mean anyone when we saw like 6 guitarists in the band man. Like I said... I was just trying to see it through a journalist's eyes man. No need for a tryhard attempt at a flame war here.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #363 on: April 17, 2016, 12:39:44 PM »

The positive reviews keep rolling in..

http://www.spin.com/2016/04/guns-n-roses-coachella-live-review/

http://hollywoodlife.com/2016/04/17/guns-n-roses-coachella-performance-angus-young-weekend-one-video-watch/

http://music.mxdwn.com/2016/04/17/reviews/coachella-2016-day-2-review-excellence-vs-energy-with-guns-n-roses-run-the-jewels-and-chvrches/

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #364 on: April 17, 2016, 12:51:42 PM »

What are you talking about? I wasn't slighting the band. It's people like you that are always out for an argument. I was just stating what most of the critics are probably hard on Axl and Gn'R for lately... before the great reunion shows and news.

The same lineup? That doesn't mean anyone when we saw like 6 guitarists in the band man. Like I said... I was just trying to see it through a journalist's eyes man. No need for a tryhard attempt at a flame war here.
relax, didn't wanna start a flamewar here either. just wanted to make a valid point (of course, not really valid from journalist point of view) Smiley

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #365 on: April 17, 2016, 12:58:55 PM »

From Melissa's twitter:

Melissa Reese ‏@TheMelissaReese
#repost #regram ... ... ... Duff. Sly. Reese. That is all. #PreShowCoachella #fun #gnr?

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #366 on: April 17, 2016, 01:05:37 PM »

Is it just me or does everyone chuckle when you read a reviewer and they comment how great Axl sounds recently or how great he sounded ripping through Whole Lotta Rosie and riff raff... When he's for the most part sounded this good and he's always ripped through ac/dc covers.... I was reading some ac/dc fans comments from last night and they were so happy but also at the same token they'd say Brian lost his voices years ago, etc.

I think many reviews of GN'R in the past 5 years were written with a preconceived bias against Axl, just because Slash wasn't in the band. Even if there were concerts were Axl killed it through the whole set, they felt they couldn't write a 100% positive review. It would somehow validate that version of GN'R, and it would go against their own feelings for the situation.

That being said, even if his vocals were always good in the past few years, Axl's voice is at an higher level now, so far at this year's concerts.

2006, 2010 and 2016 are so far the standout years I think. Looking at that, all of them being the first year of a touring cycle (2009 was at the end of the year, and can be tied in with 2010), let's hope he sustains this high, high level of singing for years to come now.

Spirit-- you hit the nail on the head. Perfectly said! Especially the line "Even if there were concerts where Axl killed it [and there were many] through the whole set, they felt they couldn't write a 100% positive review. It would somehow validate that version of GN'R, and it would go against their own feelings for the situation." That is spot on! We hardcore fans instinctively knew this was the media and rock critic's mindset from day one. Hopefully all the positive press and reviews will open the doors for many people to give Chinese Democracy a genuine "second listen"
You 're also correct in noticing that there seems to be something a little different about these past few shows-- Axl just seems to be in a zone and his vocals or exuding a visceral primal urgency and hunger that we haven't seen or heard in a long time.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #367 on: April 17, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »

Updated first post with the videos I could find.

We're still missing quite a few of the songs.

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #368 on: April 17, 2016, 01:16:32 PM »

Axl just seems to be in a zone and his vocals or exuding a visceral primal urgency and hunger that we haven't seen or heard in a long time.

It's really good to see him showing that hunger on stage. I think it's a decisive factor in wanting to create more music also. Not only creating new music ? but music with a passion.

Sweetness is a virtue
jamillos22
Rocker

« Reply #369 on: April 17, 2016, 01:24:07 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_27qDFfYXA8#t=804

HD

Hell has frozen over.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #370 on: April 17, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »

Beta Lebeis What an amazing show!!!! #NotInThisLifetimeTour #teambrazil #axlrose #slash #duff #frank #richard #dizzy #melissaReese #angusyoung #coachella2016

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Reunion2016
Opening Act

« Reply #371 on: April 17, 2016, 01:54:16 PM »

This is my favorite footage from the reunion thus far! Thanks for posting this!
jamillos22
Rocker

« Reply #372 on: April 17, 2016, 02:09:38 PM »

This is my favorite footage from the reunion thus far! Thanks for posting this!

No problem.  Smiley

Hell has frozen over.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #373 on: April 17, 2016, 02:10:02 PM »

Do we have any pictures of how big the crowd actually was?

From the reviews I've seen conflicting descriptions. Some said LCD had a surprisingly low turnout and this was mirrored during the GNR set. While other reviews said the crowd was considerably larger than Friday night, some even said near capacity.

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #374 on: April 17, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »

1st post updated with Wish You Were Here video.

Nightrain, The Seeker and Paradise City (new source) also up now.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:33:50 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #375 on: April 17, 2016, 02:59:25 PM »

That Nightrain is MEAN!

Paradise City was a statement as well, they're back on the top of the world.

I missed the periscope last night because I switched to the official stream.

Sweetness is a virtue
bjd2944
Headliner

« Reply #376 on: April 17, 2016, 03:13:08 PM »

Nightrain is definitely the highlight of that set, Axl absolutely tore through it - no denying that. While he does sound a little weaker on some songs, we have to remember, they're playing lengthy sets here. Have you ever tried singing these songs? Karaoke? In a band? In the shower? Anywhere... they're not exactly easy songs to sing. If you compare Axl to a lot of singers in his age bracket - or a lot of older singers when they were in his age bracket, he is way, way ahead of the curve.

He's definitely not embarrassing himself like Vince Neil out there.
McKenzie
Headliner

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

« Reply #377 on: April 17, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »

Lots of full songs, great quality here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/bukkakerocks/videos
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #378 on: April 17, 2016, 03:20:26 PM »

Axl took a tumble backing into his throne after the final bow.

Let's hope he didn't break his other foot....

Sweetness is a virtue
alf@melmac
Opening Act

« Reply #379 on: April 17, 2016, 03:26:49 PM »

Just listened to Coma ... Axls voice is awesome - wouldn?t have expected that due to his age! Can?t wait for some proshots from the coming shows drool
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: