Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 11:08:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227937 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [UPDATES] July 1, 2016 ? Soldier Field, Chicago
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [UPDATES] July 1, 2016 ? Soldier Field, Chicago  (Read 33214 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2016, 03:37:17 PM »

To me it's a group effort that is why this so special ... The both of them after all these years still bring the best out of each other.

Image with a band is a big thing ... and the image of these guys on stage together again is priceless.

Agree!

Every show, they seem to up their game. All of them.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2016, 03:38:17 PM »

great show!

Here is a terrible review.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-guns-n-roses-soldier-field-review-kot-20160701-column,amp.html?client=safari#

I emailed the writer to tell him it was an awful review.
He clearly has no clue.

He wrote the same kinds if reviews about them 25 years ago. In a nutshell Kot leans heavily to the hipster avant garde side of the rn'r spectrum. It's not wrong or right, just a particular viewpoint. What's most interesting is an emerging theme of Slash being the strength of the live show. A lot of people outside the Axls hardcore fan base would probably agree.
I see no such "emerging theme" among the reactions I've read through.

Ali

Me either.

And especially for last nights show.
Yup.

By the way, I loved your comment on the Periscope last night about no Dolphins being allowed in Bears stadium. Well done sir.

Ali

Thanks!! I think the sports reference got a little lost on many folks. Glad you thought it was funny!

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2016, 03:44:50 PM »

I agree it's a terrible review, but I agree with him about GNR playing too many cover songs.  Roughly 1/3 of the songs in the current setlist are covers, whether they were played 25 years ago or not.  I'd prefer more GNR originals, and it's not like they don't have the original material to play.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2016, 03:48:27 PM »

I agree it's a terrible review, but I agree with him about GNR playing too many cover songs.  Roughly 1/3 of the songs in the current setlist are covers, whether they were played 25 years ago or not.  I'd prefer more GNR originals, and it's not like they don't have the original material to play.
Agree, although LALD and KOHD are long time staples. I think it would make more sense to swap out The Seeker for an original.

Ali
Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2016, 04:12:51 PM »

Just saw Richard Fortus at Shedd, but I don't want to interrupt him and his family.

11/17/02 Mark of the Quad Cities
11/27/06 Rosemont Horizon
2/19/2012 House of Blues Chicago
7/1/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
7/3/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
10/13/2019 Exit 111 Festival
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2016, 04:17:23 PM »

Better review

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/07/live-review-guns-n-roses-light-up-chicagos-soldier-field-71/
Scottyl333
Headliner

« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2016, 04:53:56 PM »

Where do you think the band is hanging out?  Any chance of a surprise show tonight?  What hotel are they at?
Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2016, 05:03:25 PM »

I just met Richard at Shedd.  I kept it a low key thank you and a handshake, but it was awesome.  Who woulda been bought the coolest thing I'd see at the aquarium wasn't even in a tank.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2016, 09:04:28 PM »

I just met Richard at Shedd.  I kept it a low key thank you and a handshake, but it was awesome.  Who woulda been bought the coolest thing I'd see at the aquarium wasn't even in a tank.
That's awesome! He seems like a really nice cool guy.
Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2016, 11:20:23 PM »

Yeah it was pretty awesome.  Honestly my wife saw him first and she's not a guns fanatic like I am - she goes "if I didn't know better I'd say that guy was in Alice in chains"...

I turn around and go Holy shit that's Richard Fortus!!

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2016, 11:30:09 PM »

Agree, although LALD and KOHD are long time staples. I think it would make more sense to swap out The Seeker for an original.

Ali

I have been saying for years.  No more covers!  Kohd will be used for my washroom break. 

No more covers
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2016, 12:00:40 AM »

Yeah it was pretty awesome.  Honestly my wife saw him first and she's not a guns fanatic like I am - she goes "if I didn't know better I'd say that guy was in Alice in chains"...

I turn around and go Holy shit that's Richard Fortus!!
What did he say to you?
Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2016, 12:38:23 AM »

The whole conversation was pretty much me gushing. 

Something along the lines of

Me:  Hey Richard, sorry to interrupt you with your family but it's not very often you get to tell someone in your favorite band thank you for an amazing show.

Him: (handshake and smile) Thanks man, I really appreciate it

Me: I really love what you bring to the band, and Wish you were Here - love it man

Him: Thank you

It was probably less than thirty seconds, but he was sitting at a table in the lower level cafe with his wife and kids.  I was pretty quiet when I approached him so as to not draw a ton of attention to him.  I hope it worked...

Had he been in line for an exhibit or something I would have gotten as close as possible and started a full blown conversation in line.  I really didn't want to intrude though.  Just wanted to tell him thanks.  I'm sure that doesn't happen too often.  Most jerks woulda been asking for pictures and an autograph.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2016, 02:35:17 AM »

The whole conversation was pretty much me gushing. 

Something along the lines of

Me:  Hey Richard, sorry to interrupt you with your family but it's not very often you get to tell someone in your favorite band thank you for an amazing show.

Him: (handshake and smile) Thanks man, I really appreciate it

Me: I really love what you bring to the band, and Wish you were Here - love it man

Him: Thank you

It was probably less than thirty seconds, but he was sitting at a table in the lower level cafe with his wife and kids.  I was pretty quiet when I approached him so as to not draw a ton of attention to him.  I hope it worked...

Had he been in line for an exhibit or something I would have gotten as close as possible and started a full blown conversation in line.  I really didn't want to intrude though.  Just wanted to tell him thanks.  I'm sure that doesn't happen too often.  Most jerks woulda been asking for pictures and an autograph.
That's awesome. I am sure he appreciated you not drawing attention to him while he was just trying to enjoy time with the wife and kids.
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2016, 12:16:47 PM »

great show!

Here is a terrible review.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-guns-n-roses-soldier-field-review-kot-20160701-column,amp.html?client=safari#

I emailed the writer to tell him it was an awful review.
He clearly has no clue.

Sounds like he had an agenda there! Or he didn't even attend the show, just read the start time, finish time, set list and wrote it in between jerking off sessions.

Axl was f'n spot on and was the best I've heard him!

The only "mess up" which I thought was awesome, was Frank during Rocket Queen. But don't get me wrong, I love Frank and think he played a hell of a show! I love him as the drummer of the band, I think he fits well and he seems like an awesome person as well!
Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2016, 12:33:16 PM »

Axl sounds beyond amazing on this tour.  People bitching about his voice really need to go back and listen to some of the late 80s and early 90s recordings.  Even the Tokyo Dome show he didn't sound half as good as this tour.

SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2016, 12:39:02 PM »

Agree, his review is complete bullshit. I was there, and it was mind blowing. Epic, bombastic, balls to the wall fuckin rock n roll indulgence.
Axl was spot on-- and Slashed killed it.
I was way up in the top deck and the place was packed! All ages! families in khakis to nose ringed punks. I bet 70% of the 60,000 people there were sporting GNR T shirts. I saw gray haired empty nesters dancing and singing and I saw meat head jocks raising their beer cups and completely digging Axl.
I didn't hear a single bad word from anyone around me. One 50 something lady was saying how she saw Van Halen and Kiss and how those shows were great, but couldn't compare to GNR. She said is was just amazing.

I heard one young, cute girl say that Axl was a bit fat and how "hot" he used to be when he was young. That was the closest thing to a negative comment I heard. The place was roaring at all four levels.
Stopped at a hotel about 30 minutes out of town and ran into a big group of young Gunners (all college aged) at the hotel and was talking to them. They were all blown away and kept saying "Axl is fucking back."
I talked to a few casual, "skeptical" fans who were very impressed with Axl. The show is unequivocal evidence that GNR are the biggest and best hard rock band in the world and in the last 25 years.
I seriously can't think of a blues based, hard rock band who could fill up a stadium with 60,000 + fans in a stadium with people of all ages in 2016. It was very evident that GNR have vindicated their legacy and proven that they are one of the all time great bands with inter-generational appeal. The show was evident that GNR belong in the same breath as The Rolling Stones and Zeppelin.

This whiny bitch doesn't know what he was talking about.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:44:00 PM by SkeletorSerpent » Logged
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2016, 05:14:12 PM »

Agree, his review is complete bullshit. I was there, and it was mind blowing. Epic, bombastic, balls to the wall fuckin rock n roll indulgence.
Axl was spot on-- and Slashed killed it.
I was way up in the top deck and the place was packed! All ages! families in khakis to nose ringed punks. I bet 70% of the 60,000 people there were sporting GNR T shirts. I saw gray haired empty nesters dancing and singing and I saw meat head jocks raising their beer cups and completely digging Axl.
I didn't hear a single bad word from anyone around me. One 50 something lady was saying how she saw Van Halen and Kiss and how those shows were great, but couldn't compare to GNR. She said is was just amazing.

I heard one young, cute girl say that Axl was a bit fat and how "hot" he used to be when he was young. That was the closest thing to a negative comment I heard. The place was roaring at all four levels.
Stopped at a hotel about 30 minutes out of town and ran into a big group of young Gunners (all college aged) at the hotel and was talking to them. They were all blown away and kept saying "Axl is fucking back."
I talked to a few casual, "skeptical" fans who were very impressed with Axl. The show is unequivocal evidence that GNR are the biggest and best hard rock band in the world and in the last 25 years.
I seriously can't think of a blues based, hard rock band who could fill up a stadium with 60,000 + fans in a stadium with people of all ages in 2016. It was very evident that GNR have vindicated their legacy and proven that they are one of the all time great bands with inter-generational appeal. The show was evident that GNR belong in the same breath as The Rolling Stones and Zeppelin.

This whiny bitch doesn't know what he was talking about.

Great review and comments!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2016, 08:22:23 PM »

Axl sounds beyond amazing on this tour.  People bitching about his voice really need to go back and listen to some of the late 80s and early 90s recordings.  Even the Tokyo Dome show he didn't sound half as good as this tour.
Exactly! People seem to expect him to be full rasp on every single song for the whole song, but if you actually listen to the studio versions there are many songs he doesn't sing like that at all!
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2016, 06:56:47 PM »

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-parking-lot-a-mini-documentary/
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: