Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:09:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [UPDATES] July 3, 2016 ? Soldier Field, Chicago
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [UPDATES] July 3, 2016 ? Soldier Field, Chicago  (Read 28518 times)
Bazfreak
VIP

Wololoo

« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2016, 11:39:09 AM »

I honestly dont care if they play the very same setlist when I get to see them! As long as Coma is there!!  beer

14/apr/2010 @Apoteose Rio | 02/oct/2011 @Rock in Rio 2011 | 20/mar/2014 @HSBC Arena Rio | 12/nov/2016 @Alllianz Park S?o Paulo | 15/nov/2016 @Est?dio Engenh?o Rio | 23/sep/2017 @ Rock in Rio 2017
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »

Well done Annie!!

Thank you  beer love ok

Glad that everybody enjoyed it. I adjusted my settings to save my broadcasts. I will be scoping AXL/DC in MSQ in September

GNR in July, Axl/DC (the name grew on me) in September!
Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2016, 02:35:07 PM »

I think maybe I'm the only one who's not excited at all about them playing Slither.

I never really cared for it. It's cool and all, but extremely forgettable. It's got a nice solo, though.

Slash has tons of better songs (I Hold On, By The Sword, Nothin' To Say, Anastasia, You Got No Right, etc.)

But I don't think they should play any of those either. Stick to GNR songs and a few covers by other bands other than Slash, Duff, etc.

No, you aren't.  I can't stand Slither.  Honestly, the velvet revolver albums were quite underwhelming to me.  If Slash insists on a non GNR song that he wrote...I'd kill to hear this band play World on Fire.  That song was just meant to be a Guns song.

We all have our favorites as far as post-'93 GNR alumni songs, but in terms of popularity, it's Slither.  None of the others come close, except Fall to Pieces.  So for concert purposes, I think you go by what most in the audience know. 

Popularity doesn't make it a good song.  It just means some exec decided to give it a bunch of AirPlay.

11/17/02 Mark of the Quad Cities
11/27/06 Rosemont Horizon
2/19/2012 House of Blues Chicago
7/1/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
7/3/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
10/13/2019 Exit 111 Festival
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2016, 03:12:37 PM »

I think maybe I'm the only one who's not excited at all about them playing Slither.

I never really cared for it. It's cool and all, but extremely forgettable. It's got a nice solo, though.

Slash has tons of better songs (I Hold On, By The Sword, Nothin' To Say, Anastasia, You Got No Right, etc.)

But I don't think they should play any of those either. Stick to GNR songs and a few covers by other bands other than Slash, Duff, etc.

No, you aren't.  I can't stand Slither.  Honestly, the velvet revolver albums were quite underwhelming to me.  If Slash insists on a non GNR song that he wrote...I'd kill to hear this band play World on Fire.  That song was just meant to be a Guns song.

We all have our favorites as far as post-'93 GNR alumni songs, but in terms of popularity, it's Slither.  None of the others come close, except Fall to Pieces.  So for concert purposes, I think you go by what most in the audience know. 

Popularity doesn't make it a good song.  It just means some exec decided to give it a bunch of AirPlay.

No, it doesn't (and I did not say it did) but it does make a song more likely to be well-received at a concert performance.  I like World on Fire too, but I don't see the value to Slash, or the band in general, of having me, you and 3 other guys at the show recognize the song when they start playing it.  Slither, on the other hand, is very well known, they'll get a good crowd response from it, which will add to the energy of the show.  For example, SCOM is far from my favorite GNR tune, but it's great to see a venue light up as soon as that guitar intro is played. 

jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2016, 04:02:24 PM »

I was at both shows and had a great time.  Sat fairly close for the 1st show.  Got home seen that tix for 2nd show were pretty cheap so I jumped on it and drove back.  They rocked both nights!  I was a little disappointed that it was the same set list except for Duff's song, but that's only because I knew of the alternates.  Awesome fireworks at the end of Paradise City!  I like that they are playing all the songs with good tempo but it seemed some of the songs may have been shortened or I just wanted them to keep going.
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2016, 04:10:21 PM »

No, it doesn't (and I did not say it did) but it does make a song more likely to be well-received at a concert performance.  I like World on Fire too, but I don't see the value to Slash, or the band in general, of having me, you and 3 other guys at the show recognize the song when they start playing it.  Slither, on the other hand, is very well known, they'll get a good crowd response from it, which will add to the energy of the show.  For example, SCOM is far from my favorite GNR tune, but it's great to see a venue light up as soon as that guitar intro is played. 

I do understand that in a stadium show, they must play more the "crowd pleasers". There's lot of casual fans over there that only know a bunch of songs.

That's why they play the more famous songs, but some more obscure (like Coma) for the diehards.

But if you ask those casual fans which song they'd rather hear, between Slither or any other GNR song, I definately think they'd go for GNR.

And also, if you're gonna do a cover, there's literally thousands of better and more known choices to go with (Zeppelin, Stones, Who, etc). That's why the "Slither is famous" argument doesn't convince me.

IMO the only reason they are considering playing it is to please Slash and Duff.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2016, 04:49:48 PM »

I do understand that in a stadium show, they must play more the "crowd pleasers". There's lot of casual fans over there that only know a bunch of songs.

That's why they play the more famous songs, but some more obscure (like Coma) for the diehards.

But if you ask those casual fans which song they'd rather hear, between Slither or any other GNR song, I definately think they'd go for GNR.

And also, if you're gonna do a cover, there's literally thousands of better and more known choices to go with (Zeppelin, Stones, Who, etc). That's why the "Slither is famous" argument doesn't convince me.

IMO the only reason they are considering playing it is to please Slash and Duff.

Right, but it's not exactly just any other random cover, it's a hit song from within the expanded GNR universe or at least a related galaxy, specifically involving the 2 guys whose recent re-joining has elevated the band's popularity. 

Plus, you'll have a good number of younger fans there who might prefer something other than another GNR song that's older than them and would rather hear something they have more of a direct connection with.  Of course, they could play another CD song instead of Slither, which would get no complaints from me, but I think I'd be in the minority on that. 

As far as pleasing Slash and Duff, I don't think that would be the only reason, but if it makes them happy, then great. 
Annie
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2016, 04:51:56 PM »

Is it the venue's wifi or whatever network provides internet ?
Remember the Vegas shows,every periscope link was perfect.
No WiFi. Cellular signal from an outside venue.

Ali
Yes it was very frustrating, the first night I could not get periscope to work at all until the nice guy next to me told me to turn the wifi setting to off on my phone. Then I was able to broadcast with LGE. It said live the whole time. Soldier Field is also right next to the lake.
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »

As far as pleasing Slash and Duff, I don't think that would be the only reason, but if it makes them happy, then great. 

Maybe not the only reason, but one of them. Axl must like the song, otherwise he wouldn't agree to sing it. If he's the person singing it.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2016, 06:28:28 PM »

Yes it was very frustrating, the first night I could not get periscope to work at all until the nice guy next to me told me to turn the wifi setting to off on my phone. Then I was able to broadcast with LGE. It said live the whole time. Soldier Field is also right next to the lake.

Thank you so much for periscoping Annie!!!
Great job!!!  Much appreciated!!! ok

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2016, 07:14:27 PM »

Yes, thank you, Annie.  Very gracious of you to go to the trouble of doing that.

Ali
Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2016, 07:30:08 PM »

Right, but it's not exactly just any other random cover, it's a hit song from within the expanded GNR universe or at least a related galaxy, specifically involving the 2 guys whose recent re-joining has elevated the band's popularity. 

Plus, you'll have a good number of younger fans there who might prefer something other than another GNR song that's older than them and would rather hear something they have more of a direct connection with.  Of course, they could play another CD song instead of Slither, which would get no complaints from me, but I think I'd be in the minority on that. 

Honestly, I'd take any song over Slither.  Another Guns song or not.  Hell, he wrote Locomotive too.  Go with another GNR deep cut.

I wouldn't be dissatisfied by any means if they had played it, just prefer billions of songs over it.  GNR could go out and play a setlist filled with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Mary Had a Little Lamb and I'd eat it up.  I'd still much prefer other songs though.

I could go for a few more CD songs too.  I did get frustrated when people in my section sat down during This I Love, Chinese Democracy, and Better.  I'm also in the minority....but I prefer the recorded version of This I Love to Slash's so far.  He may change my mind yet, though.

11/17/02 Mark of the Quad Cities
11/27/06 Rosemont Horizon
2/19/2012 House of Blues Chicago
7/1/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
7/3/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
10/13/2019 Exit 111 Festival
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2016, 08:40:31 PM »

Honestly, I'd take any song over Slither.  Another Guns song or not.  Hell, he wrote Locomotive too.  Go with another GNR deep cut.

I wouldn't be dissatisfied by any means if they had played it, just prefer billions of songs over it.  GNR could go out and play a setlist filled with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Mary Had a Little Lamb and I'd eat it up.  I'd still much prefer other songs though.

I could go for a few more CD songs too.  I did get frustrated when people in my section sat down during This I Love, Chinese Democracy, and Better.  I'm also in the minority....but I prefer the recorded version of This I Love to Slash's so far.  He may change my mind yet, though.

At least you recognise you are in the minority... thats something i guess.  Undecided
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2016, 09:20:22 PM »

Would like to see them play "Slither" - and subsequently the live fans' reception to it.

Then would like to see certain posters' reaction to that reception.  hihi

I would personally like to see Slash vary from the Godfather theme during his solo section ("Safari Inn," "Watch This," or "Anastasia" if there's no chance of a band cover). I would also be happy to see Duff switch it up ("Dust N' Bones," "14 Years," or "I Don't Care About You")

As for playing "Slither" or any other VR cover, there's certainly enough overlap of GNR and VR fans to justify them doing so. Besides its obvious novelty (like hearing Slash play Chinese Democracy songs), "Slither" (and several other VR songs) has considerable stature in the GNR universe. I'm positive most fans would respond very favorably to seeing it played.

As for the setlist discussion, it's only natural for fans who follow the band as closely as we do to discuss songs we would like to see played, paticularly when we see setlists that include some of those songs for inclusion. Most of the discussion I have seen has been reasonable and respectful, and certainly not worthy of the outrage some posters have expressed in this thread. I'm sure most of us are still shocked and thrilled that this is even happening, and most of us think the current setlist is great; but that doesn't mean we can't offer opinions on additions, deletions, or changes we would still like to see. It's fun to discuss, and maybe there's an off-chance that the feedback actually gets consideration.

With that said, it would be great to see, at some point, "Locomotive," "Breakdown," and "The Garden." Same goes for a number of the Chinese Democracy songs: "I.R.S," "The Blues," "There Was A Time," "Shackler's Revenge," and "Catcher In The Rye" would be cool to see.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:24:13 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2016, 09:43:39 PM »

Would like to see them play "Slither" - and subsequently the live fans' reception to it.

I would personally like to see Slash vary from the Godfather theme during his solo section ("Safari Inn," "Watch This," or "Anastasia" if there's no chance of a band cover). I would also be happy to see Duff switch it up ("Dust N' Bones," "14 Years," or "I Don't Care About You")

As for playing "Slither" or any other VR cover, there's certainly enough overlap of GNR and VR fans to justify them doing so. Besides its obvious novelty (like hearing Slash play Chinese Democracy songs), "Slither" (and several other VR songs) has considerable stature in the GNR universe. I'm positive most fans would respond very favorably to seeing it played.

As for the setlist discussion, it's only natural for fans who follow the band as closely as we do to discuss songs we would like to see played, paticularly when we see setlists that include some of those songs for inclusion. Most of the discussion I have seen has been reasonable and respectful, and certainly not worthy of the outrage some posters have expressed in this thread. I'm sure most of us are still shocked and thrilled that this is even happening, and most of us think the current setlist is great; but that doesn't mean we can't offer opinions on additions, deletions, or changes we would still like to see. It's fun to discuss, and maybe there's an off-chance that the feedback actually gets consideration.

With that said, it would be great to see, at some point, "Locomotive," "Breakdown," and "The Garden." Same goes for a number of the Chinese Democracy songs: "I.R.S," "The Blues," "There Was A Time," "Shackler's Revenge," and "Catcher In The Rye" would be cool to see.

Jesus, Booker where you been?  Spot on?couldn?t have said it any better.  Regarding Slither, the crowd would go ape shit if they played that.  Much like hearing Axl sing an AC/DC set, it?s cool to hear him sing new songs?a song with an obvious nod towards Slash and Duff would make it that much cooler.  That it?s even on the setlist show to me that that?s not lost on Axl.
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2016, 10:42:50 PM »

I don't think we're ever gonna see songs like Shackler's Revenge and Rhiad played by this band. It's just too different from Slash's style. And I don't think they really work live.

In fact, I don't think Better works live either. Axl's vocals on the studio version are amazing, especially on the verses, but he doesn't seem to be able to replicate that live.

On a side note, has Breakdown ever been played live?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »

I don't think we're ever gonna see songs like Shackler's Revenge and Rhiad played by this band. It's just too different from Slash's style. And I don't think they really work live.

In fact, I don't think Better works live either. Axl's vocals on the studio version are amazing, especially on the verses, but he doesn't seem to be able to replicate that live.

"Breakdown" has been performed twice I believe, once in Boston and once in New York City. Someone at MyGNRForum recently made a good post discussing some of these live rarities, and it was a reminder that GNR has a record of occasionally including these surprise deep cuts in their setlists. That's the kind of positive unpredictability many of us would like to see in this tour. If we don't, it's still an awesome show; but if we do, it's just that much better.  yes
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2016, 11:20:14 PM »

"Breakdown" has been performed twice I believe, once in Boston and once in New York City. Someone at MyGNRForum recently made a good post discussing some of these live rarities, and it was a reminder that GNR has a record of occasionally including these surprise deep cuts in their setlists. That's the kind of positive unpredictability many of us would like to see in this tour. If we don't, it's still an awesome show; but if we do, it's just that much better.  yes

I hope so. Coma, Locomotive and Breakdown are IMO the most underrated GNR songs ever
Annie
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2016, 11:26:18 PM »

Yes, thank you, Annie.  Very gracious of you to go to the trouble of doing that.

Ali

It was my pleasure. I was so grateful to all the people who scoped the Axl/DC shows from Europe. And i wanted to share with my Brazilian homie Rodolfo.  When my arm got tired I just thought about how brave he is! Smiley
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2016, 09:39:23 AM »

Ali

It was my pleasure. I was so grateful to all the people who scoped the Axl/DC shows from Europe. And i wanted to share with my Brazilian homie Rodolfo.  When my arm got tired I just thought about how brave he is! Smiley

There's always a Brazilian. hihi
But hey, thanks. Much appreciated also how you got rid of the flood of comments - even tho you can dismiss it in the app, it's just not possible when watching it on a desktop browser. Thank you. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: