Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:52:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Live Era Mr. Brownstone rant
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Era Mr. Brownstone rant  (Read 8123 times)
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2007, 02:56:44 PM »

'Axl in lafayette', thanx for copying and pasting my 'Live-Era' post as your own. Roll Eyes

You must be John M... I knew it wouldnt be long before you started whining about someone getting info? from your site? hihi
Heh, no dude; I'm not John M. hihi

It's just that I wrote that post, which was later used in the FAQ section of Mygnr, in first-person perspective so when the other guy pasted it, it sounded like it was something he came up with. I'm really not one to complain, but it's just fair to give credit where it's due. That's all. yes

Yeah after the fact i saw the site difference... Thats why I changed my post... ok
moons
Banned
Headliner

Charlie Don't Surf

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2007, 06:22:19 PM »

i'm not an expert on axl's voice or the various "eras" it has gone through. but i do know that it would be extremely hard to go back and "re-record" vocals for a live album such as this.

its not that easy to go back and just delete the vocal track on a live recording. there are open microphones all over the stage (ie duff's vocal mic and slash's vocal mic, and especially the drum overhead mics) that would pick up fragments of the vocal audio. you would be able to tell that theres another vocal being added over it.

the drummer has speakers pumping axl's vocals right at him so he can hear the song himself and keep up with it. those vocals would leak into the drum overheads, and you can't take these leaked vocals out. one example is in estranged - the second part comes from the tokyo shows in 92, and when he says, "now that you've been broken down...you dont talk so loud / you dont walk so proud ./ anymore / and what for?" right after that on the tokyo video you see that he says "wooo!". they try to take the woo out on live era - and the casual listener can't hear it. but if you listen closely or with headphones, you can hear that its still there.

so, i don't buy this talk that the vocals were re-recorded. that would be very very hard to do cleanly.

Big Gulps, huh? Well...see ya later.
-Dumb and Dumber
moons
Banned
Headliner

Charlie Don't Surf

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2007, 06:34:57 PM »

oh also, i should say that there is a difference between "rerecording," literally re-tracking the vocals, and just simply adding effects. it is VERY obvious that effects have been applied to the vocals to make them cleaner and even retuned or pitch corrected, etc.

i think that when you hear differences in the way his voice sounds, its because of the effects that are being applied. the raw bootlegs have no effects on them, and you would be surprised how much of a difference this process has made. in fact, i would venture to guess that the reason you think axl's voice sounds on live era like it did at the 2001-02 shows is because he applied similar effects - after 13 years in the studio, he has found some pretty advanced sounds that he can create by combining his voice with various protools plugins.

in the world of recording, its definitely fair game to go back and apply effects to audio recorded live. i think most people would agree, however, that going back and actually retracking a "live" album in the studio is out of bounds...its like cheating.

Big Gulps, huh? Well...see ya later.
-Dumb and Dumber
axl in lafayette
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2007, 10:39:57 PM »

'Axl in lafayette', thanx for copying and pasting my 'Live-Era' post as your own. Roll Eyes
meant as informational, and all the props to you...
snakepiter
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2007, 11:07:08 PM »

do you think every band member had the chance to re-record the parts they thought needed to be fixed???

pro old gnr
pro new gnr
pro vr
Beefy
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2007, 04:19:21 PM »

Pretty sure Slash rerecorded some parts as well as Axl.
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2007, 07:38:29 PM »

Plus, why is it that there's only Slash's guitar on Rocket Queen? Maybe on Estranged too... I can't quite remember. But I definitely know there is only one guitar on Rocket Queen.

The whole album has signs of being messed with long after the originals were recorded live.
Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2007, 07:52:38 PM »

I agree with that huge post which originated from Idianna Rose (?). It's obvious that the vocals were re-recorded on those tracks to anyone has has heard so many boots over the years. As for Slash re-recording i don't know. But i do know that during RQ and Estragned you could hardly hear Gilby anyway, look at the Tokyo dvds. Is he even playing?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: