Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 01:02:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227881 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Parenting
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Parenting  (Read 23677 times)
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2009, 09:03:25 PM »

Plenty of studies (yes, I do read) break the stereotype of that breast is best thing.  I can't do it anyway for medical reasons and of all things I can worry about this doesn't bother me at all.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200904/case-against-breastfeeding

Besides, Tap knows that I will just tell him he's giving me a headache anyway. Wink

love

Holy shit TAP!  I'd expect much better from you, honestly.  As I was reading that article I considered copying and pasting all the mistruths, half-truths, and flat-out false statements...but I figured it would fall on deaf ears.  The hilarious part of this was the minimilazation of studies that consistently either show a benefit or a small benefit...it's not as if there are studies showing it's less beneficial than formula.  Priceless. 

I had to include this gem:  "It is a serious time commitment that pretty much guarantees that you will not work in any meaningful way."  Fucking false.  Absolute bullshit. 

It's funny how you do that, damning with faint praise or something. I'm not advocating the article, in fact I don't think I've given a single piece of parenting advice in the whole thread. Just something I'd seen recently. I will say there seems to be a whole secular religion built up around parenting, complete with stonings....

What?  There was no faint praise or praise at all!   hihi

...and yes, breasts are awesome.

..and yes, if the baby's not latching, that can be a problem.  But, using the right techniques, this can be remedied. 

...and yes, many of the folks posting here (I'd imagine the overwhelming majority) were formula-fed...that was the wisdom of the day...and, well, now doctors know better.  Who knows, maybe if I was breast-fed, I wouldn't be such a dick about this shit!   hihi

btw, I am not condemning women who can't breastfeed.  I do have an issue with women who choose the lazy way out.  That bitch who wrote that anti-breastfeeding article absolutely disgusted me.  "How long it takes me to nurse the baby...add that time up...it's wasting your time."  Fuck her! 

My wife wanted to inerject with a compliment to kmorgan with the " Whatever makes mom happy will make baby happy"
(I told my wife that wasn't confrontational or inflammatory at all!  Dammit!)   Grin   

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2009, 09:56:07 PM »

..and yes, if the baby's not latching, that can be a problem.  But, using the right techniques, this can be remedied. 

and you know because you breastfed someone? rofl
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2009, 11:17:58 PM »

and you know because you breastfed someone? rofl

I know waay too much, trust me.   Smiley
No, not in the Peter Griffin/Stewie Griffin way...but yes, about the latching, that's true.

Grr, I'm still ticked off at that lady from TAP's post.   rant  So she had some friends that were jerks!  The problem she should have had was with the way those mothers ostracized her (or made her feel like she was being ostracized), not with the act of breast-feeding itself.  She went on further sticking her foot in her mouth to imply she could be doing more important or better things than breastfeeding her child.  Honestly, breast or formula, that time spent, the nurturing, the close affection, it is more valuable than that cold bitch will ever know.  I don't care if she's a powerful woman, hell, she could be governor of Alaska for all I care!   Grin  Nothing else is more important.  Nothing. 
...and yes, a woman can be incredibly effective, working 40 hrs./week and breastfeeding...it isn't for the lazy that's for sure.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2009, 11:32:57 PM »

I didn't read the article, but I do agree that if someone is choosing not breastfeed because of the time it takes, that's probably not the best reason.  If someone is choosing not to because of health reasons, or even just because they are uncomfortable with it, well, that's their personal choice, and they have the right to decide.  I know a lot of people are simply grossed out with the whole process, and that's fine, but if that's the case, just say that!  To me, that doesn't seem selfish, like the whole "saving time" idea.

I mean, you get six weeks at home with your newborn, so if it's a matter of having time to "do better things", then why  not use that six weeks to at least give it a try?  I have had a couple of friends that just didn't like the idea of it, and they opted for formula, and I thought they were making the right decision for them.  I had another friend that tried, and it was just so hard on her that she was really unable to continue, (she had a horrible time giving birth and spent a long, long time trying to recover), and again, completely up to her.  But making that choice just to save time?  I don't know about that.  I mean is this the same idea this lady will adopt later on when her kids' different activities keep her busy?  I could keep my kids out of a lot of different things right now and get back some time to do the things I need to do, but getting to watch them enjoy the things they are involved in is where a lot of my fun comes from!

Again, I didn't read the article.  I'm just going on what you've said here.  I still think it's each woman's choice, and from what I can see on here, everyone that has decided to go for formula has done so with good reason, and not just to save themselves some time!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:49:06 PM by kmorgan » Logged
kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2009, 11:36:01 PM »

Is anyone on here dealing with a teenager right now?
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2009, 11:58:03 PM »

I'm not but I was one! Wink
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2009, 12:04:06 AM »

Again, I didn't read the article.  I'm just going on what you've said here.  I still think it's each woman's choice, and from what I can see on here, everyone that has decided to go for formula has done so with good reason, and not just to save themselves some time!

Going off this, I have a girlfriend who has 4 children and she needs to save all the time she can.  She actually had to run her breast pump while driving the car if you can believe that.

This is FULLY a woman's choice and I don't believe any of the studies.  They all say MAY cause this, MAY do that.  Hell, everything MAY do something. 
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2009, 09:28:09 AM »

Bingo!! I have a 17 year old right now Wink, and last night was one of those prize moments where she decided to lash out irrationally Shocked.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2009, 10:35:26 AM »

My son is 13, and man, it all seems to be hitting at one time.  He went from sweet, wonderful little boy to smart aleck know-it-all overnight!!!!
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2009, 10:35:42 AM »

I doubt it makes a tangible diference if you breastfeed or use formula (my wife did both) so any reason or no reason is good enough to do one or the other.  But what I loved about the breastfeeding was (1) the extended period of big tits; (2) it's free (formula is fucking expensive); and (3) it tastes much better.  Yes, I tasted it, big fucking deal.  I was curious!

JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2009, 12:34:53 PM »

I've been breast feeding TAP for a couple of weeks now and he does seem to be happier.

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2009, 01:54:09 PM »

I've been breast feeding TAP for a couple of weeks now and he does seem to be happier.

I can't imagine why, Smirnoff Nipples.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2009, 01:58:59 PM »

My issue with breastfeeding isn't that it's not proven to be better, because it obviously is better - but the cult/religion built up around it. You have

1. A propaganda machine suggesting breastfeeding is some folksy activity being oppressed by the big, bad formula companies.
2. Guilt and social stigma if you aren't in the religion.
3. Charlatans (lactation consultants, authors, etc etc) making large amounts of money preying on emotionally fragile women who are already experiencing the guilt and stigma.

Reminds me of Christianity.  Grin

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2009, 07:21:46 PM »

No, but I've been suggesting to my wife we hire a 19 year-old Swedish nanny.   Grin

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »

I doubt it makes a tangible diference if you breastfeed or use formula (my wife did both) so any reason or no reason is good enough to do one or the other.  But what I loved about the breastfeeding was (1) the extended period of big tits; (2) it's free (formula is fucking expensive); and (3) it tastes much better.  Yes, I tasted it, big fucking deal.  I was curious!

Wow Steele, you're a brave man!  I'm not as adventurous. 

...but the question remains...did you feel smarter after the ingestion?  Enhanced immunity??  Greater bonding with your wife???   hihi

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »

My issue with breastfeeding isn't that it's not proven to be better, because it obviously is better - but the cult/religion built up around it. You have

1. A propaganda machine suggesting breastfeeding is some folksy activity being oppressed by the big, bad formula companies.
2. Guilt and social stigma if you aren't in the religion.
3. Charlatans (lactation consultants, authors, etc etc) making large amounts of money preying on emotionally fragile women who are already experiencing the guilt and stigma.

Reminds me of Christianity.  Grin

TAP, you have to agree, the money behind the breastfeeding community is nothing compared to the formula companies.  Money in many instances equals power.  If you notice the advertising angles of formula companies, it doesn't take a "breastfeeding propaganda machine" to show me the formula companies use this money to their advantage.

Speaking of breasts, what is with the morons out there who freak out when they see a woman nursing a baby?  I just don't get it.  What normal person equates breastfeeding with something "obscene?"  Craziness.

Out of curiosity TAP, I checked out median salaries of lactation consultants.  Very nice, 68k/year.  Now, considering what their avg. workload is per day, every client they help will save upwards of $1000 in formula costs.  It seems like they're a net benefit.

One more thing, "guilt and stigma."  I don't know who I like less, those that use guilt and stigma to carry their message, or those that fall victim to that cheap ploy.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2009, 08:24:37 PM »

Out of curiosity TAP, I checked out median salaries of lactation consultants.  Very nice, 68k/year.  Now, considering what their avg. workload is per day, every client they help will save upwards of $1000 in formula costs.  It seems like they're a net benefit.

It's a pointless profession and a pointless market.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2009, 08:24:56 PM »

"My cat has nipples. Could you milk my cat?"

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2009, 08:33:38 PM »

rofl

enough about how you spend your free time!
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2009, 08:35:57 PM »

One more thing, "guilt and stigma."  I don't know who I like less, those that use guilt and stigma to carry their message, or those that fall victim to that cheap ploy.

Which one is emotionally fragile after just giving birth?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: