Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:16:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227882 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  smokers vs non-smokers
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: smokers vs non-smokers  (Read 39787 times)
axls_locomotive
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2004, 06:14:23 PM »

I've never heard of a single death certificate being filled out with the cause of death being "second-hand smoke".  Never.  To put it in the most simple terms possible, the smoker is inhaling all the bad stuff and exhaling all the not-bad stuff.

no but ive seen plenty cases for cancer in non-smoking adults, go figure

Also, if smoking is so bad, why don't the rabid non-smokers work instead to just ban cigarettes completely?  I don't get it.  If they were illegal, problem solved, right?

you are naive in thinking this way...there are millions of people who all have a variety of different opinions on what should be done, most realise that banning smoking infringes on your right to smoke, but many dont like being subjected to smoke fumes day in day out...thats why the majority want to limit smoking to areas where it doesnt affect non smokers...it means no infringment of smokers rights and no infringement on non smokers rights
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2004, 06:27:59 PM »

LUNG cancer?  I don't think so.

Thousands of GNR fans have died waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released.

www.wonderfulworldofdanny.com
axls_locomotive
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2004, 06:45:01 PM »

LUNG cancer?  I don't think so.

...200-300 people die every year in the UK because of lung cancer caused by passive smoking...

take a good read
http://www.ash.org.uk/html/passive/html/passive.html
Dizzy
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2004, 06:51:47 PM »

I've never heard of a single death certificate being filled out with the cause of death being "second-hand smoke".? Never.?

That's because you have no earthly idea what you're talking about. ?People don't die from "secondhand" smoke. ?Their health can be harmed by secondhand smoke, causing them to come down with various illnesses and conditions. ?Since you're a fan of putting things in simple terms, I'll put this in simple terms for you; Secondhand smoke doesn't kill people. ?It gives them illnesses which can.

To put it in the most simple terms possible, the smoker is inhaling all the bad stuff and exhaling all the not-bad stuff.

Do you even know what secondhand smoke is? ?It isn't the smoke that smokers are exhaling.

Once again, I'll put it in the simplest terms so even you can understand....

The burning tip of a cigarette emits secondhand smoke. ?It is damaging to anyone around it, even more damaging than the smoke the smoker is inhaling, because it is not filtered. ?That's an indisputable, proven fact, whether you like it or not.

? If they were illegal, problem solved, right?

Wrong. ?Outlawing is not going to make smoking disappear. ?There are no easy solutions to any problem of this magnitude. ?Besides, the state governments makes a fortune off cigarette tax, so they're never going to outlaw it, so lobbying for it would be an exercise in futility from the onset.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2004, 07:14:55 PM »

LUNG cancer?? I don't think so.

Not true in recent years Airline stewardess who never spoke sued (and won) settlementss against the BIg Tobacco companies. Even though they never smoked, the passengers on the planes back in the day did and this caused this lung cancer.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2004, 02:57:10 AM »

LUNG cancer?? I don't think so.

Maybe you could post a link to a search engine to back up your claim...... Roll Eyes

hihi
SLCPUNK
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2004, 03:01:42 AM »

I've got a little more, for y'all.? This is fact:

Upon looking at all 50 states, the states with the 10 highest smoking rates had an average smoking rate of 27%.? The states with the 10 lowest smoking rates had an average smoking rate of 19%. The rate of asthma in the 10 lowest smoking states was 6.6%. The rate of asthma in the 10 highest smoking states was 6.3%.

Go figure.

links.....?

You can't corelate asthma entirely with smoking. Asthma usually has more to do with quality of air in the community....pollution, emissions, etc etc.

You probably just made that up anyway.....
RichardNixon
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2006, 01:18:14 AM »

I have never been a smoker, just once and a while. But I've started it up again for the last six weeks or so, don't know why really. I have no idea why I smoke.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2006, 01:55:55 AM »

I have never been a smoker, just once and a while. But I've started it up again for the last six weeks or so, don't know why really. I have no idea why I smoke.

You should quit now while you're young.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2006, 02:41:37 AM »

I thought you were a runner?

What are you doing smoking that crap?
axelle rose
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2006, 02:52:28 AM »

I smoke , but my husband doesn't and there for I go outside so he and my kids don't have to sit in my smoke . I have tryed many many times to quit , I even been very sick because of it. But its just not working. I can't quit. If anyone knows a good way to stop please tell my. I smoke for about 12 years now .
SLCPUNK
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2006, 03:19:01 AM »

I smoke , but my husband doesn't and there for I go outside so he and my kids don't have to sit in my smoke . I have tryed many many times to quit , I even been very sick because of it. But its just not working. I can't quit. If anyone knows a good way to stop please tell my. I smoke for about 12 years now .

Have you tried the gum or the patch?

My dad quit using the gum and smoked for well over 30 yrs.
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2006, 03:19:17 AM »

U smokers should be hung from the nearest lamp-post.

Kill urself by all means - but its outrageous u can get away with killing the rest of us through passive smoking, it makes me livid - to say smokers are selfish is not nearly going far enough

rant over.

ahmen.said to perfection ?ok

take note smokers "were onto you" hihi "your goin dowwwnnnnnnnnn"

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
axelle rose
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2006, 03:24:12 AM »

Yes I did , I eat the gum and smoke the same time  no and the patches don't work neither.
RichardNixon
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2006, 04:05:22 AM »

I thought you were a runner?

What are you doing smoking that crap?

Yup, just got back from a 12 mile run! peace
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2006, 05:55:26 AM »

Yes I did , I eat the gum and smoke the same time? no and the patches don't work neither.
I've quit stopped 'bout 3 months since.  I had a goal though, i wanted to because i am really into health and fitness stuff now and i am entering a course and college so i had to quit so i could be in the shape need to pursue my career.

With a lot of these things it's a mental thing, mind over matter and all that.  Just think about what it's doing to your body, to your health, then think about how much you care about your husband and kids and how either of you would feel without the other, a loving family should be inspiration enough, is it really worth the risk?

Think about that everytime you smoke and it should put you off and make you feel guilty,  it worked with me in the sense that i thought everytime i smoked i was wrecking my career prospects.......
Sterlingdog
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2006, 10:00:45 AM »

I don't smoke, but I never used to complain about those that did.

Then I had an Aunt who smoked heavily.  She got cancer and died, and so did her husband - who hadn't smoked for over 10 years.  That made me more disapproving of smoking, but I used to figure people had the right to kill themselves, etc.

Then I had a child.  And even though I live in California where smoking is banned almost everywhere, we still run into people smoking - usually right outside the entrance to a store.  And when I see my child breathing in that smoke, even for a second, it infuriates me.  Now I get it.  Why should my child have that stuff in her lungs?  I've started telling her that smoking is bad, and we don't let people who smoke be around us.  And I tell her right in front of the smokers that are puffing away right outside the store entrance.  I tell her to hold her breath while we hurry past.  I'm sure they think I'm a bitch, but I don't care.  They deserve the health problems they are going to get. 

And when I see a mother smoking in front of her kids, or perhaps worse, when she's pregnant, I want to ask her what kind of mother she is.  To harm your own children that way is inexcusable. 
Evolution
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2006, 10:35:01 AM »

How do you think the public smoking ban will pan out?

Pub doors are going to be crowded in a few weeks with people having a smoke, inside with smell probably worse of sweaty old bastards and stale beer  hihi

That said I think it's a very good thing.
JAC185
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2006, 11:11:05 AM »

Maybe to decide who gets what they want we should all have a long distance race, non-smokers vs smokers
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2006, 03:04:16 PM »

I don't smoke, but I never used to complain about those that did.

Then I had an Aunt who smoked heavily.  She got cancer and died, and so did her husband - who hadn't smoked for over 10 years.  That made me more disapproving of smoking, but I used to figure people had the right to kill themselves, etc.

Then I had a child.  And even though I live in California where smoking is banned almost everywhere, we still run into people smoking - usually right outside the entrance to a store.  And when I see my child breathing in that smoke, even for a second, it infuriates me.  Now I get it.  Why should my child have that stuff in her lungs?  I've started telling her that smoking is bad, and we don't let people who smoke be around us.  And I tell her right in front of the smokers that are puffing away right outside the store entrance.  I tell her to hold her breath while we hurry past.  I'm sure they think I'm a bitch, but I don't care.  They deserve the health problems they are going to get. 

And when I see a mother smoking in front of her kids, or perhaps worse, when she's pregnant, I want to ask her what kind of mother she is.  To harm your own children that way is inexcusable. 

i think im in lurrrve hihi ...i agree with everything you say Smiley

How do you think the public smoking ban will pan out?

Pub doors are going to be crowded in a few weeks with people having a smoke, inside with smell probably worse of sweaty old bastards and stale beer  hihi

That said I think it's a very good thing.

most people probably dont know about it evo!

smoking ban in scotland starts tomorrow in all enclosed spaces...at last common sense has endured

if people leave beer on the table while they go outside then it wont be there for long hahaha...so it looks like the smokers will still smoke and drink stale beer...but drinkers that dont smoke will drink more...healthy times ahead...hahaha

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: