Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 03:59:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Bitch about other governments here- I'm sick of reading Anti-Bush Threads
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bitch about other governments here- I'm sick of reading Anti-Bush Threads  (Read 30097 times)
Surfrider
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2005, 02:54:09 PM »

Are we really arguing over use of the term "Europe" and the term "America"?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2005, 02:58:58 PM »

It seems to be true, but the Dictionary was brought out in a nick of time...... hihi
Surfrider
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2005, 03:04:45 PM »

It seems to be true, but the Dictionary was brought out in a nick of time...... hihi
Grin Yah, I guess some disputes are quickly sovled with the click of a button and a little cutting and pasting,
SLCPUNK
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2005, 03:17:27 PM »

Grin Yah, I guess some disputes are quickly sovled with the click of a button and a little cutting and pasting,

haha, although this might be the only case where it was resolved..
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »

Btw, are guests allowed to post here?

Maybe we should start deleting their posts when they're not even here to continue the discussion.

/jarmo

I'm curious, are you going to do this?

I guess we are since these people are only here to start shit and then they delete their accounts.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2005, 04:32:35 PM »

Btw, are guests allowed to post here?

Maybe we should start deleting their posts when they're not even here to continue the discussion.

/jarmo

I'm curious, are you going to do this?

I guess we are since these people are only here to start shit and then they delete their accounts.

/jarmo
People do that?, that's so coward!  Undecided

No man can be my equal
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2005, 05:19:49 PM »

when the proof has been given, no more arguing is needed 

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
POPmetal
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2005, 05:47:08 PM »

Then you need to get your terms straight. Right now, Europe and the EU are two different things.

FYI Europe is synonymous with the European Union and they often used interchangeably,

Uhhhm, no! Many nations including Ukraine, Moldova, Switzerland, Serbia and Montenegro, Albania, Iceland, Belarus, and Norway are in Europe but are not a part of the EU? (these are just a few off the top of my head, there are more if you want to look them up). Maybe someday the two will be interchangeable, but right now they are not.

like America is synonymous with the USA...

That's because America is often used as shorthand for the United States of AMERICA .

nope wrong

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Europe

Europe

n 1: the 2nd smallest continent (actually a vast peninsula of Eurasia); the British use `Europe' to refer to all of the continent except the British Isles [syn: Europe] 2: an international organization of European countries formed after World War II to reduce trade barriers and increase cooperation among its members; "he took Britain into Europe" [syn: European Union, EU, European Community, EC, European Economic Community, EEC, Common Market, Europe] 3: the nations of the European continent collectively; "the Marshall Plan helped Europe recover from World War II" [syn: Europe]

The source of that dictionary.com entry is Princeton's WordNet project, that's not even a real dictionary Roll Eyes

here's the full Oxford American Dictionary entry for Europe:

Europe |?yo?r?p| a continent in the northern hemisphere, separated from Africa on the south by the Mediterranean Sea and from Asia on the east roughly by the Bosporus, the Caucasus Mountains, and the Ural Mountains. Europe contains approximately 10 percent of the world's population. It consists of the western part of the landmass of which Asia forms the eastern (and greater) part and includes the British Isles, Iceland, and most of the Mediterranean islands. Its recent history has been dominated by the decline of European states from their former colonial and economic preeminence, the emergence of the European Union among the wealthy democracies of western Europe, and the collapse of the Soviet Union with consequent changes of power in central and eastern Europe.

This is from an actual DICTIONARY, not a science experiment.

and rubbish, the united states didnt exist when the name america was coined

from wikipedia

"Both North and South America are named after Amerigo Vespucci, who was the first European to suggest that the Americas were not the East Indies, but a previously undiscovered (by Europeans) New World."?

Where's the Strawman Police now?
POPmetal
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2005, 05:56:52 PM »

To Popmetal dude : When I said that we achieve peace in Europe it was in relation with the creation of the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC) in 1954 that led to the Rome treatyin 1957 and the creation of the European Union. Since then no wars between its members ... that was the first aim of Robert Schuman and Jean Monet (but I have the feeling you never heard of them).
Yougoslavia was in no way in the EU ... and the faillure that took place down there is to all to endorse.

Then you need to get your terms straight. Right now, Europe and the EU are two different things.

It depends on the context ... it's an ability you seem to lack obviously. In France when you talk about the EU you talk about l'EUROPE. Europe can have a geographic meaning or a political meaning. Try to find which one I was talking about.
And this confusion of you isn't the actual topic at hand. I was trying to explain to you that the first aim of the founder fathers of the EU was to achieve peace between its members : it's done !? Tongue

OK, in that case this is a cultural misunderstanding. Sorry, but I don't live in France. The EU has certainly been a success in that sense. Then again the idea of a war between France and Germany seems laughable now. Gloating about it would be similar to? the US gloating about achieving peace with Mexico.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2005, 06:26:01 PM »

The source of that dictionary.com entry is Princeton's WordNet project, that's not even a real dictionary Roll Eyes

From the Oxford English Dictionary, the definitive source of English
European - relating to Europe or the European Union.

from wikipedia
In practice, the borders of Europe are often drawn with greater regard to political, economic, and other cultural considerations. This has led to there being several different Europes that are not always identical in size, including or excluding countries according to the definition of Europe used.
In another usage, Europe is increasingly being used as a short-form for the European Union (EU) and its members, currently consisting of 25 member states.

Besides since you are "American" and have no idea of the terminology that is used over here...nonetheless the word Europe and the EU are used interchangeably over here...

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
POPmetal
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2005, 06:49:44 PM »

From the Oxford English Dictionary, the definitive source of English
European - relating to Europe or the European Union.

from wikipedia
In practice, the borders of Europe are often drawn with greater regard to political, economic, and other cultural considerations. This has led to there being several different Europes that are not always identical in size, including or excluding countries according to the definition of Europe used.
In another usage, Europe is increasingly being used as a short-form for the European Union (EU) and its members, currently consisting of 25 member states.

Besides since you are "American" and have no idea of the terminology that is used over here...nonetheless the word Europe and the EU are used interchangeably over here...

I'm European who lives in America (though I can't wait to get citizenship so I can proudly claim that I am American). I still think that saying Europe can be ambiguous (I guess that can also be true when saying America to refer to the US). Either way, we're arguing over semantic details that are pretty much irrelevant to this topic. To restate my point using terms we can agree on, as late as the late 90s of the 20th century, Europe, as in the EU, was incapable of pacifying violent conflicts on the continent Europe without American intervention.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 06:55:32 PM by POPmetal » Logged
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2005, 08:57:32 PM »

I'm European who lives in America (though I can't wait to get citizenship so I can proudly claim that I am American).

You and millions of others.   ok  Welcome!
POPmetal
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2005, 01:19:05 AM »

I'm European who lives in America (though I can't wait to get citizenship so I can proudly claim that I am American).

You and millions of others.? ?ok? Welcome!

Thanks? beer That's the difference between Europeans who say they like America and want to come here, and Americans who constantly criticize American and say they'll move to Europe or Canada. We don't just talk, we actually do it.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2005, 01:42:40 AM »

America can still be a great country. There is a lot of work to get it back again.

Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2005, 08:47:16 AM »

America can still be a great country. There is a lot of work to get it back again.

America IS a great country.  Look around at other countries on this planet and tell me that america isn't amoung the great places to live from almost every aspect of life.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2005, 10:33:57 AM »

Yes, America is still a great country but we have to do some house keeping in our own house before we hire ourselves out to clean everywhere.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2005, 12:50:56 PM »

America IS a great country.  Look around at other countries on this planet and tell me that america isn't amoung the great places to live from almost every aspect of life.

It can be better. Our government needs to learn to rule by law again, not force. Some people forget the principles this country was founded on.
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2005, 08:52:43 PM »

Ok off topic at this point...
I started this thread to see what the problems are in other countries... we simply don't get much news of them here.  This is turning into an american thread again.  Someone bitch about Norway, Iceland, Hong Kong please....

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2005, 01:16:32 AM »

I started this thread to see what the problems are in other countries... we simply don't get much news of them here.  This is turning into an american thread again.  Someone bitch about Norway, Iceland, Hong Kong please....

haha, this turned American almost immediately.... hihi
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2005, 06:10:26 AM »

I started this thread to see what the problems are in other countries... we simply don't get much news of them here.? This is turning into an american thread again.? Someone bitch about Norway, Iceland, Hong Kong please....

I can bitch about Sweden. The country where people are always condemning other countries for things they do wrong but nobody seems to bother fixing the things that are wrong here.

People seem more upset about the prime minister building a new mansion than about the problems with unemployment, health care and education etc.

People here go to Germany and Denmark to buy alcohol because the alcohol taxes are so high here. Yet we have politicians who think it's not a good idea to lower the alcohol tax. They still believe the "Swedish way" is the only way to battle problems with drinking. Hight prices = less drinking.

No wonder only about 25% of the alcohol consumed in this country is actually legally bought in the state owned liquor stores.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: