Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 05:03:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Al Gore: An Inconvienient Truth
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Gore: An Inconvienient Truth  (Read 24795 times)
nateinthehon
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: December 03, 2006, 02:52:14 PM »

If you have not yet seen this movie, I highly reccomend seeing it. I think everyone should. It will open your eyes. We all take this planet for granted, and when you see some photos from the 70s compared to today, you will be like "holy shit".

It's out on DVD, check it out. I guarentee you will turn your thermostat down a little, and shut off lights more often, and think about getting abetter MPG car
Edward Rose
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 03:34:36 PM »

I agree. Unfortunately nothing will ever change. That Noah's Ark story in the Bible... true or not, is very significant in that it shows how people were still laughing at Noah even as they were knee-deep in water and he was closing the hatch. This will happen again. I promise you. It's because "freedom" gives people the right to ignore scientific facts, and use loop holes and special interest to do what they please.

Neighborhoods in the U.S. are already having tide water intrude up to front doors during the Full Moon and New Moon tides. This is NOT being reported in the media even though it's been happening since the 90's. "Free" country? "Free" press? HAH!

There's a reason why Grandma is putting weird food in those jars in the basement.  hihi
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 04:40:23 PM »

Thanks for posting about this, it is really an important issue.

Take the time to watch this film. peace
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 04:47:15 PM »

Think I'm gonna rent it now, when I go out to get dinner............
Edward Rose
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 05:03:05 PM »

Think I'm gonna rent it now, when I go out to get dinner............

I think it'll be one of those movies that'll do really good "on video" compared to theaters.
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 05:05:10 PM »

I have it but haven't watched it yet.  If it's as informative as people say then it should definately be shown in schools.
Hysteron
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 05:17:13 PM »

^ As above, I think it's a movie that people (Especially those crazy yanks) should check out.
Edward Rose
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 05:32:30 PM »

^ As above, I think it's a movie that people (Especially those crazy yanks) should check out.

I don't mean to get political, but how sad is that this is the guy who got shafted in the 2000 election, and we got Bush Jr. instead.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 05:50:16 PM »

I don't mean to get political, but how sad is that this is the guy who got shafted in the 2000 election, and we got Bush Jr. instead.

Well it was great for SNL writers that is for sure. Bush handed them endless lines to use.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 05:58:58 PM »

They showed a preview for this at the Bon Jovi and Nickelback concert on 7/29/06 at Giants Stadium. Just remember getting like a 10 minute preview of it before Bon Jovi went on stage.
nateinthehon
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 07:54:59 PM »

yeah, it is really sad to see the images in this movie, of the natural glaciers and springs and the mountains.

Bush JR was a huge blow to us over Gore. Like Gore says in the movie, creating more enviormentally friendly poewr sources and vehicles will stimulate the economy, not hurt it...

It's tough, because I am guilty of driving 4wd trucks(although I drive a Saturn to work and back, gets 30+mpg), and enjoying electronic luxurys in life...but so much stuff has dumbed us down, to wear we are blind to issues like this and so many more important.

Why do you think Bush went for the throat for the gay marriage and gun issuesin the election? It's because that is how he won the teeter tottering votes. Because not everyone who can votes, if they did, Bush would not be around, because more important issues would rise to the top.

There too busy dumbing us down with reality TV, Tom Cruise's wedding and Britney Spears' moneymaker.

I am 26, and like I said, I love the Internet, Music, and other technologies. But it saddens me to look at even many of people I know, and see how blinded they are, by shallow entertainment...and how far out of touch they are. Everything is like "oh well" or "it'll get worked out"

I know, as small part I can play in this, like telling you all here this, or posting on myspace page...and other things I am gonna do, like by energy saving lightbulbs, turning lights off more often...turning the heat down 2 degrees, turning AC up 2 in the summer, and driving my saturn more often

It's not much but it is a start, and something we all can do. Spread the word!
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 08:01:01 PM »

I'm not that keen to see it ... from what I gather, it's pretty convincing but the pot shots taken at Bushy sort of derail the impartiality a bit ...
The earth has been constantly changing for a few billion years, with ice ages coming and going ...
I feel it is extremely arrogant of us to say that we are definitely causing all these phenomena (glaciers melting, temperatures rising etc.) when there is scientific data from like 100 out of a few billion years.

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 08:08:30 PM »

I'm not that keen to see it ... from what I gather, it's pretty convincing but the pot shots taken at Bushy sort of derail the impartiality a bit ...
The earth has been constantly changing for a few billion years, with ice ages coming and going ...
I feel it is extremely arrogant of us to say that we are definitely causing all these phenomena (glaciers melting, temperatures rising etc.) when there is scientific data from like 100 out of a few billion years.

Don't just dismiss global warming like it's not a big deal.  It's definately going on and the real arrogance would be to ignore it, assuming that the human race can deal with whatever nature throws at us.

Watch the film, dude.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 08:08:54 PM »

Finally somebody said it...

The movie seems more like an agenda than something meant to be informative.

I'm not saying it can't be true.. just that believing everything said in this movie and blindly following it seems ignorant. You should get multiple sources for everything. Or Manbearpig will get you...

hihi

PS. I'm not trying to knock the movie.. just adding a different view point.

gnrevolution.com
Bud Fox
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 08:15:18 PM »

We tend to listen to the THOUSANDS OF SCIENTISTS from around the world who are not politically aligned who have drawn these conclusions based on that funny thing called Scientific Method.

The only "scientists" who are not on board tend to be funded by large corporations that have a vested interest in not changing their ways. Most of the top Global Warming "debunkers" have their research paid for by companies like Exxon or ADM or Dow and that is nicely documented.

Protesting violence requires violent language.
-Lenny Bruce
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 08:16:17 PM »

I want to watch this movie, but alot of this global warming stuff is worst case scenario meant to grab attention. ?25 years ago, all the "experts" said the Earth was getting colder. ?Now they're saying warmer. ?The reality is that we're not sure what's happening, and moreso what causes it. ?The Earth will continue to get warmer as our Sun grows brighter. ?For my senior thesis in college, I wrote a paper on the human impact on global warming, which analyzed the issue itself, the impact of humans and possible solutions. ?Before life inhabited this planet, the average surface temperature was around 180 F. ?We've improved emmisions drastically the past 30 years and it's only going to get better. ?I think that I read that one volcanic explosion is equal to all teh pollution man has done. ?That really puts our impact into perspective and how minimal it may be.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 08:17:48 PM »

We tend to listen to the THOUSANDS OF SCIENTISTS from around the world who are not politically aligned who have drawn these conclusions based on that funny thing called Scientific Method.

The only "scientists" who are not on board tend to be funded by large corporations that have a vested interest in not changing their ways. Most of the top Global Warming "debunkers" have their research paid for by companies like Exxon or ADM or Dow and that is nicely documented.

There's alot of truth to what you say BF, but Al Gore is a politican.  Anything and everything he says is going to be biased by nature of his profession.  Shouldn't that merit at least some deeper observation into his claims?
Bud Fox
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2006, 08:23:03 PM »

Shouldn't that merit at least some deeper observation into his claims?

There is this cool concept called "Core Sampling" and is has proven to be spiffy accurate. Something about Scientific Methods and Logic and Critical Thinking.

-Lenny Bruce
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 08:26:15 PM »

Shouldn't that merit at least some deeper observation into his claims?

There is this cool concept called "Core Sampling" and is has proven to be spiffy accurate. Something about Scientific Methods and Logic and Critical Thinking.

I'm arguing that people use logic and Critical Thinking.  Everyone wants the world to be a better place but how many are willing to actually make sacrifices to their convienence?  The concerns and ideas alot of academics advocate, even if they were practical, are cost prohibitive to most Americans.  The poor and working class aren't worried about glaciers in the Artic circle, they're worried about putting food on the table and keeping the heat on.
Bud Fox
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006, 08:39:40 PM »

The concerns and ideas alot of academics advocate, even if they were practical, are cost prohibitive to most Americans. 

Where are your examples of these?

Obviously de-industrialization is not the answer. The car manufacturers, as an example are taking the steps necessary to get to point X. It is going to take a while and interim solutions are going to be necessary to fill the gap before technology catches up to where X is possible. Right now it may be that biodiesel/hybrid is the best interim step to get to X with a hydrogen or hydrogen/electric being the target. There is not a Step 1, Step 2, and Finish. There are many sub steps that are to be had that are evolutionary that reduce the costs because the costs are built into normal R&D of progressive development.

The same processes will apply for power plants as for automobile power but on a bigger scale, with more variables, and more risks. The risks will be both monetary and environmental. That is where smart people are going to have to make decisions as to which door to pick.

-Lenny Bruce
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: