Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:40:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash is working on his new record
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash is working on his new record  (Read 19683 times)
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 10:52:46 PM »

^Anything that is available to the public for purchase counts. A release is a release and I don't see why a DVD or a live show would not count. The work still had to be performed. If nothing else it shows that the artist has his shit together enough to get something released for the public to buy.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 11:50:10 PM »

LOL, ok then I guess Pearl Jam released 50 albums in 2003 then.  Most productive band in history! 
suicide
VIP

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 06:16:43 AM »

In that case: don't forget the Abbey Road shows: http://www.disclivenetwork.com/detail.cfm?artistid=43
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 10:07:55 AM »

In that case: don't forget the Abbey Road shows: http://www.disclivenetwork.com/detail.cfm?artistid=43

Totally forgot about that, and you're right! We need to include those albums in his count also!   Tongue

On a side note I was at that Terminal 5 show.  I think I might get it haha. 

Purchased today! 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:38:28 AM by WAR41 » Logged
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »

Yeah, in a previous post (scroll up) you'll see that I already mentioned the live Slash shows from 2010-11. I forgot the URL at the time but it is disclivenetwork.com (previously Abbey Road distributors). If anyone is interested, they are having a 60% off sale right now and you can order the Slash shows, or shows from a number of bands who were also professionally recorded live. These CDs are 100% official release quality and come with artwork and a real CD case, just like a regular CD that you would purchase at Best Buy or anywhere else.

Here's the thing, when talking about artists' production, the music industry does not arbitrarily exclude a live show or DVD. It says, for example, "Neil Young has released 24 albums in 30 years, including X number of studio albums." That is the standard. So I don't understand the reason for changing the standard, and I don't see why live shows or DVDs are "illegitimate" and do not count.

Whether you agree with the standard counting method or not, and irrespective of agreement with me and my argument, the fact is that Slash has been consistently productive since his departure from GNR. And for the record (no pun intended) we have not even mentioned Slash's Blues Ball that came during the 1997-1998 period, coterminous with Snakepit. They had several live albums released abroad (not in the US), which raises the question what is an official release? US only? What about releases in Japan, UK, or Germany? I remember buying several "official" releases of GNR in Russia in the 1998-2000 period, so would those count any less than a live show or best of compilation (which is what they were)?

My broader point is that instead of getting bogged down in 6 vs 7 or 8 vs 9, the fact is that some former GNR members  have put out numerous studio albums, DVDs, live shows, etc, whereas the current composition of GNR has one album and a long awaited live DVD that may or may not see the light of day.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 12:08:52 AM »

I am not denying or arguing that Slash has been consistently productive over the years since GNR.  I've always supported that notion.  Ditto for Duff and Izzy as well.

Nevertheless, I stand in agreement with all those who count studio albums only in terms of being "productive".  The songwriting, recording, mixing, producing parts of creating a new record far outdistance those of merely capturing a recording of one night live, performing songs they've already mastered.  Hell, by the logic of including live albums (especially ones the band has nothing to do with beyond playing the show), the GNR Greatest Hits album may as well count for them all too.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:11:24 AM by Bridge » Logged
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 10:49:15 PM »

^And I think that is a very narrow point of view that is not supported by facts in the real world.

russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 11:55:22 PM »

My original statement, that set off a debate, was that Slash and Izzy have been the most "productive" of ex-Gunners, and I had in mind the totality of their work. My words were subsequently reinterpreted/misinterpreted so that "productive" was redefined as studio albums, something that I did not say and did not mean. To me, it was an empirical question that could be substantiated and verified by concrete evidence, and I referred to this evidence in previous posts. Like most everything on this board, every little statement is picked apart and argued ad nauseaum. My evidence was rejected by certain people who found it inconvenient to their narrow point of view. At this point, I don't care how other people define productive. I know what I had in mind, and I know what the standard definition is. It is what it is, so whatever, I am done with this conversation. Think what you want, I don't care.

Oh, and by the way, I have not received any tweets from any rock n' roll bands saying that they will return the royalties from live albums and DVDs because they do not "count" in their catalog of output. 

The end.

GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 06:51:38 AM »

My original statement, that set off a debate, was that Slash and Izzy have been the most "productive" of ex-Gunners, and I had in mind the totality of their work. My words were subsequently reinterpreted/misinterpreted so that "productive" was redefined as studio albums, something that I did not say and did not mean. To me, it was an empirical question that could be substantiated and verified by concrete evidence, and I referred to this evidence in previous posts. Like most everything on this board, every little statement is picked apart and argued ad nauseaum. My evidence was rejected by certain people who found it inconvenient to their narrow point of view. At this point, I don't care how other people define productive. I know what I had in mind, and I know what the standard definition is. It is what it is, so whatever, I am done with this conversation. Think what you want, I don't care.

Oh, and by the way, I have not received any tweets from any rock n' roll bands saying that they will return the royalties from live albums and DVDs because they do not "count" in their catalog of output. 

The end.
And what about the 100 or so guest appearances that Slash has done on various studio albums over the last 20 years?

Slash is, BY FAR, the most productive member of Guns N' Roses. Always has been.

Here is what Marc Canter had to say about Slash in the 'Legendary Rock' interview:

"I remember when he (Slash) worked at Tower Records ... he talks in the book about how he was always drinking on the job but I know he really did a good job just like he always did a good job in the band, he always took his job seriously and was never a fuck up. He was an ace at the business end of things as far as the band went and was always working, always on the phone 24/7 and busted his ass to make sure rehearsals and sessions went smoothly and cost effectively. He was really very aware. When they were out on the road, he was busting his ass working and waking up at 8 o'clock in the morning to talk to 100 different reporters for press and everything. He was a terminator and there was nothing he would not do in the name of Guns N? Roses. He?s always been able to handle an extremely heavy workload and multiple jobs and somehow balance everything. I mean, I don?t know how he does it now but he does and he does it well."

:thumbsup:
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »

They are back to work tonight. I don't know about you, but I can feel the buzz.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 05:16:23 AM »

Slash is a work-animal, it's really crazy!
and i love not all but lots of songs he did write and release over the years  peace

Re-Union time, baby!!
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »

From Slash's Twitter just now:

I think we have a release date for the new SMK&C record. Will be announcing soon! iiii]; )'
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: