Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:38:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227886 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR vs VR (Player By Player)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR vs VR (Player By Player)  (Read 55757 times)
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 03:43:29 PM »

There are no reasons why to compare, Velvet Revolver, with the new line-up of Guns N Roses, the answer is pretty obvious...    the old line up kicks ass.

@;---,-----.----,-----------
deliverthecow
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 08:35:14 PM »

It is hard to compare bands, one exists the other who knows but oh well.

Vocals: Axl and Scott are two of the best frontmen ever, when it comes to taking the stage and controlling a crowd noone can do it like Scott and Axl. They both have two very distinct styles so it is hard to compare especially since Axl hasnt been on stage . They are both two of the best ever. Presently Scott wins. Let's see if Chinese Democracy is released and see if Axl can keep it together.

Lead Guitar: Slash

Rhythm : I honestly havent seen enough of Fortus to compare the guy to anyone, i do like his style, and Kushner is damn good, i didnt think he was the best choice for VR initially but after seeing them live the guy fits perfect, and his effects are killer. Gotta go with Kushner for now, ill have to wait on the verdict on Fortus, hopefully he will be taking the stage for nu GnR soon.

Bass: I love Duff's sound , the guy is talented and a great musician. His influences and stage presence is killer. That is one thing I have noticed about the live VR shows? , Duff is right there with Scott as the star of the band. I gotta go with Duff all of the way. Stinson is cool and i like where he comes from. The Minneapolis scene was awesome, all of those bands where great The Jayhawks, Soul Asylum, Wilco, The Replacements etc. That is one thing Duff and Stinson have alot in common both come from great musical backgrounds, two of the best musical backgrounds in any band past or present, period.

Drums: Toss up both are total wise cracking jack ass', ill go with Sorum, his heart is in the right place, all Brain is in it for is the cash it seems.

Keyboards: Weiland, just for the fact he rarely plays them, no need for keyboards in rock.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 08:44:38 PM by deliverthecow » Logged
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2005, 01:03:47 AM »

no need for keyboards in rock.

I think the doors, stones, beatles and queen will all disagree.

I was not going to answer this thread but what the hell.
Vocals is Axl easily.
Lead guitar, slash is better than finck but BH is better than Slash
Rythm, Fortus is? better than Dave
Bass, Tommy is better than Duff, just listen to tommys solo album then duffs
drums, Brain is better- just listen to matts boring solos on the UYI tour then listen to brain with les, bh and bootsy. Brain is great.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 01:11:47 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2005, 10:27:07 AM »

Cool thread

Axl
vocals 10
apperance 8
style 8
presence 10
energy 10
lyrics 10

Scott
vocals 8
appearance 8
style 9
presence 10
energy 10
lyrics 8

Axl wins 56-53

guitar

Slash
stage presence 10
energy 8
ability 10
cool factor 9

robin
stage presence 9
energy 9
ability 9
cool factor 10

Draw (and I honestly did not plan this, I didn't know 'till I added) 37-37

Dave
stage presence 6
energy 10
ability 8
cool factor 8

richard
stage presence 5 (all he does is try his damned hardest to break a fucking hole in his guitar, settledown Fortus)
energy 10
ability 8
cool factor 7

Dave wins 34-30

Duff
stage presence 8
energy 8
ability 8
cool factor 9

Tommy
Stage presence 8
energy 8
ability 9
cool factor 5

Duff wins 33-30

Drums
Matt
ability 8
presence 7
energy 8
cool factor 4? (0 hihi)

Brain
ability 8
presence 6
energy 8
cool factor 3

Matt wins 27-25

Someone else can add it up if they want? hihi

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2005, 10:32:49 AM »

Hard to make any objective comparisons for me, one's a functioning rock band with a record, singles and tour while the other is, well, not.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Surfrider
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2005, 10:53:07 AM »

GnR's strenghts are Velvet Revolver's weaknesses, and vice versa. 
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2005, 08:22:09 PM »

richard
stage presence 5 (all he does is try his damned hardest to break a fucking hole in his guitar, settledown Fortus)

your kiddin' me, now he gets put down for goin' off hihi

Richard n' Robin are the duo weve been all waitin' for ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
DOASHK
p00p yea
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2005, 10:36:45 PM »

sorum sucks, his drumming on illusions is lame

contraband he got a bit better though, but i think brain is better than him
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2005, 01:00:59 PM »

quite a system you made there D, I liked it, even though I don't agree on everything there. ok

VOCALS: Axl vs Scott...Axl wins this one, like pointed out before, he's one of the best frontmen of all time, and the voice is amazing. Scott is fantastic too, but Axl wins this prize!

LEAD GUITAR: Slash vs Robin Finck...Slash is clearly the winner here, hands down. my alltime fav guitarplayer!

RHYTHM GUITAR: Richard Fortus vs Dave Kushner...this is a pretty close call, they are pretty equally skilled. but I like Kushner better, so he's the winner!

BASS: Duff vs Tommy Stinson...Tommy is a good bassist, but what about the opponent? Duff wins!

DRUMS: Brain vs Matt Sorum...I don't like the way UYI sound drumwise, but I love the way Matt sounds in VR. but he doesn't stand a chance agains Brain! Brain is maybe my fav drummer all together, so in other words, Brain wins!

so that places VR at the top with beating GN'R 3-2! peace

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
deliverthecow
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2005, 01:08:06 PM »

Vocals is Axl easily.
drums, Brain is better- just listen to matts boring solos on the UYI tour then listen to brain with les, bh and bootsy. Brain is great.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but minus the Doors not one of the bands you mentioned had a "Full Time" keyboard player.

Yor answers really show your resentment toward the ex members.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2005, 02:59:26 PM »

Vocals is Axl easily.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but minus the Doors not one of the bands you mentioned had a "Full Time" keyboard player.

Yor answers really show your resentment toward the ex members.

How does it show resentment? You really think that Duff is better than Tommy? Its not even close. I said slash is better than Robin.  Also Fortus is much much better than Dave. How is that even close? As for sorum, everyone always say that Adler is better anyways.  And only one album of gnr has key boards, those are the UYIs, AFD and lies dont use keyboads.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2005, 03:32:29 PM »

About the drums: Steven Adler drums on AFD are FANTASTIC.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
usurper
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2005, 03:41:30 PM »

Vocals: Axl (Weiland doesn't hold a candle to Axl)
L. Guitar: Slash (Robin sucks)
R. Guitar: Fortus (Kushner is no virtuoso)
Bass: Duff (Tommy is just not my favourite)
Drums: Brain (Matt is too annoying)

GNR: 3
VR: 2
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »

I find this thread comical.

Anyone on here who thinks that any player in New GNR (Bucket included) is better than Slash or Duff are smoking crack.

It doesn't matter what their playing abilities are because their musical catalogs don't equate to even 1/10th of what Slash and Duff acomplished with GNR.

I find it funny that Tommy is somehow a better bassist than Duff when he has never played on anything that would place in the top 10 of any GNR song ever written. Duff may not be as technically "skilled" of a player in the sense of the word. But at the end of the day I will take classic songs over technical ability any day of the week.

Bucket may be a more "skilled" player than Slash, but when his solo's show up in the top 10 of every poll ever taken the way SCOM and NR do, give me a call. I measure greatness in timeless music, not how many notes a second one can play.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2005, 04:18:38 PM »

I find this thread comical.

Anyone on here who thinks that any player in New GNR (Bucket included) is better than Slash or Duff are smoking crack.

It doesn't matter what their playing abilities are because their musical catalogs don't equate to even 1/10th of what Slash and Duff acomplished with GNR.

I find it funny that Tommy is somehow a better bassist than Duff when he has never played on anything that would place in the top 10 of any GNR song ever written. Duff may not be as technically "skilled" of a player in the sense of the word. But at the end of the day I will take classic songs over technical ability any day of the week.

Bucket may be a more "skilled" player than Slash, but when his solo's show up in the top 10 of every poll ever taken the way SCOM and NR do, give me a call. I measure greatness in timeless music, not how many notes a second one can play.

You need to lay off the crack pipe. The question was asked who is better, player-by-player. So doesn?t that mean what person can PLAY better? Also, just because BH or Tommy?s work is not "known" does not mean its not as good. You really think never mind is better than AFD? Look at any shitty poll like you just mentioned and nevermind is always ahead of AFD so in your little world I guess that makes nevermind better than AFD right? OH and that poll for RS that had Kurt Cobain at #4 for best guitar player ever and slash was not even on the top 200, I guess that means slash is not as good as Kurt right?

Anyways when someone ask who is a better guitar player or better drummer or better bassist, they are asking skill wise not song writing ability. 

Read the question asked. The poster asked whom the better PLAYER is which means what person can play the instrument BETTER. So that means that BH is better than slash, brain is better than matt and Tommy is better than Duff.

If you want to ask who writes better songs than ask that question. But anyone who thinks that slash or duff are more skilled than BH or Tommy has no clue what they are talking about.

As for their writing ability, what have slash and duff written since leaving Axl? Nothing that even comes close to classic gnr. Nothing that is even better than the stuff on Tommy?s or BHs solo albums.
Also wait for CD to come out and I will be willing to bet that the songs Tommy, BH and Robin wrote will be right up there with classic gnr. Madagascar and the blues are in the top 20 gnr songs ever and they helped write those songs. So any point you have is invalid. Your logic is also very flawed.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 04:25:15 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2005, 04:36:38 PM »

Dave i think your wrong. I think most peoples translation of the thread was player by player means taking things like - style, skill precance, writing ability etc. etc. ALL into account. Not just pure skill. Hence why people are doing the tallys that looks like this -

vocals 10
apperance 8
style 8
presence 10
energy 10
lyrics 10

Therefore the above poster does have a point with Slash and Duff's proven success in writing and playing on all time classic songs. I do agree that id take Gn'R songs writen by Slash and Duff over anything any of the Nu-Gn'R members have done anyday.

Id like to add as well that the songs written by Slash and Duff with either very little or non of Axls imput are better than any of the songs that ive heard by the Nu-Gn'r members. I also disagree with this attitude of "Wait till CD comes out then youll see that they songs and writing will be amazing" - with the acceptance of 3 or so songs you you simply dont know that, its pure speculation. Its just like saying wait for VR's next album - itll have the best songs ever, and passing it of as fact. Finally - how do you know any of the members bar Axl had any writing input into the new songs at all? Or if they did - more than the old members did on the songs - of which you are and have in the past played down as insignificant compared to Axls contrabution.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 04:41:35 PM by Lineker10 » Logged

Riot In Everyone!
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2005, 04:43:37 PM »

Dave i think your wrong. I think most peoples translation of the thread was player by player means taking things like - style, skill precance, writing ability etc. etc. ALL into account. Not just pure skill. Hence why people are doing the tallys that looks like this -

vocals 10
apperance 8
style 8
presence 10
energy 10
lyrics 10

Therefore the above poster does have a point with Slash and Duff's proven success in writing and playing on all time classic songs. I do agree that id take Gn'R songs writen by Slash and Duff over anything any of the Nu-Gn'R members have done anyday.

The above poster has no vaild point if he is going to bring in known songs and lists.  Like I said, just because he does not like the work tommy and bh did, does not mean they are not as good as what he likes.  Skill has much more to do with who is better than what someone looks like or engery or anything like that.  Also, its all what you like or what your taste is for what song  you think is better but skill is something you can measure easily and its not contest when it comes to BH vs slash or tommy vs duff skill wise.  Also like I said, take duff and slashs solo work and its awful, while BHs and Tommys is much better and excellent.

Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2005, 04:55:44 PM »

vocals 10
apperance 8
style 8
presence 10
energy 10
lyrics 10

The above poster has no vaild point if he is going to bring in known songs and lists.? Like I said, just because he does not like the work tommy and bh did, does not mean they are not as good as what he likes.? Skill has much more to do with who is better than what someone looks like or engery or anything like that.? Also, its all what you like or what your taste is for what song? you think is better but skill is something you can measure easily and its not contest when it comes to BH vs slash or tommy vs duff skill wise.? Also like I said, take duff and slashs solo work and its awful, while BHs and Tommys is much better and excellent.

Thats your opinion though - i happen to like Slashs solo work - ive heard some of BH's and think its terrible. Plus  skill has to take into account that little can be more. Alot of people would argue that for example Slashs simpler solos compared to BH's super fast tapping is far more soulfull and means something - that can also be described as skill. And finally - i know guitarists who are super fast and can play any song note for note - there still not great guitarists though just becasue they can play techincally well - to be great youve gotta have the ability to write and play timeless and powerfull songs - so far i dont see much evidence of that from any other the Nu-Gn'R members apart from the opinions of a small group of die hard fans. Tommy is probably the closest with his work in The Replacements. Still not the kind of legend that Gn'R have.

Riot In Everyone!
providman
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2005, 04:59:55 PM »

Dave, you've made it abundantly clear through the years that you  are not qualified to judge who has more talent than who-else.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2005, 05:05:24 PM »

Dave, you've made it abundantly clear through the years that you? are not qualified to judge who has more talent than who-else.

Yeah I know because your little brain cant take the fact that BH is better than slash. Its ok tho,? I know to just ignore your little comments like that since? you have no clue what you are talking about.

and Lineker10 go listen to BHs electric tears, and if  you dont think that is soulful. If you dont think it is then you have never heard it.  And BH is is so much better than slash, plus BH can play more than just fast. He made slashs solos BETTER. Just listen to the night train outtro. Its better than slash ever did. Listen to BH play the KOHD solo.

I love when people like you claim BH just plays fast, it shows you really have no clue at all about him.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 05:08:57 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: