Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 10:42:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227886 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Reactions/opinions from non-die hard fans
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reactions/opinions from non-die hard fans  (Read 24529 times)
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2006, 01:18:27 PM »

I think 75% of the people who don't like the music simply don't like it because of the ill will they harbor against Axl.... whenever someone has said they don't like it, they follow it up with a sentence or two of ripping on Axl for the old gnr's break up... which makes me just not even value their opinion.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2006, 01:20:43 PM »

Alot of people on general rock forums have said the stuff is average, very mediocre

And what songs/bands do they seem to like? 

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
YouCouldBeMine
Rocker

Nirvana Sucks

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2006, 01:44:24 PM »

My brother stole IRS from me, and hasn't stopped listening to it.  ok

I've heard real good things about 'Better', its just that everyone is confused by the intro.

I haven't/won't downloaded T.W.A.T.

"Get your ass inside right now and do what your mother says!"
"She's not my mother, Todd!"
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2006, 01:47:43 PM »

My brother stole IRS from me, and hasn't stopped listening to it.? ok

I've heard real good things about 'Better', its just that everyone is confused by the intro.

Everyone I know, who is hearing IRS, say that it grow's on them, and they love the Zepplin feel!
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2006, 02:04:13 PM »

My brother stole IRS from me, and hasn't stopped listening to it.  ok

Everyone I know, who is hearing IRS, say that it grow's on them, and they love the Zepplin feel!

I'm surprsied more people don't like IRS more, I love the intro, lyrics are cool and of course the solo.  I think I like it so much b/c I hear a diff song then whats coming out of my speakers - I would be shocked if the guitar in the pre-solo parts isn't reworked and if the song isn't sped up a bit.  Maybe I like the potential of this song more then the actual demo.  But this song has attitude for sure - Axl is stirred up about something and this song is therapy for him.
Better is def growing on me, but as I said somewhere else, it just doesn't have that attitude to it.  Hard to describe what I mean.  But it is catchy.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2006, 02:52:38 PM »

My wife is not a music fan at all, but I enjoy asking her opinion on everything, so here goes:

She hated OMG, Silkworms, Rhiad and old IRS.  The newer version from the last 24 hours of IRS is good she says.

Better and TWAT are actually very good in her eyes. 

Just her 2 cents.  I'll soon hear from my buds who used to listen to GNR back in the day.  But ya know what?  I could give a fuck what anyone else thinks...these songs are fucking brilliant.   drool

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Rocket_queen125
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2006, 03:00:16 PM »

my buddy at first said that better was aight and then the second time he said it was pretty good!
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2006, 03:10:47 PM »

my girflfriend thinks TWAT is good-she says she likes the intro on it alot-since ive been playing it over and over she hasnt had a real chance to listen to the other songs Grin

But to echo what other people said, there are going to be alot of people who hate it based on the fact slash isnt there and because it doesnt sound trendy-but these people are the ones brainwashed by the god-awful shit the media conglomerates shove at them, so fuck em!

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
user FKA webmoster
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2006, 03:12:57 PM »

My friend who is a die-hard Old GNR fan hates just about everything about New GNR. I had him listen to the song and all he had to say was "wow". He thought it was a "pretty damn good song".
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2006, 03:39:19 PM »

I post on a couple rating sites like face the jury and other ones like that. Most my gnr threads over the years have had 4-5 people come in ripping on gnr and then like 2 others really interested in some news. Surprisingly, even some of the people who ripped on me for claiming Axl could get back on top, they are admitting now they think the album will be a commercial success and stating the songs "aren't bad."

A few have outright said they liked them after ripping on Axl for the last couple years..
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2006, 04:08:35 PM »

Played Better for my wife....she could not believe it was GNR, then said she wasnt sure if she liked it. I told her Axl has moved beyond the biker shorts  hihi

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2006, 04:14:37 PM »

if the ppl who aren't big on GNR hear the new songs without being told they are by gnr or axl.
and as ones by some unknown new band, maybe they appreciate them quicker.

Well, even so it's just a matter of time. same difference.
The Bedouin
Rocker

only god can judge me

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2006, 04:24:15 PM »

friends who heard the songs find it very disappointing or average
and yes most them have seen the old band a few times so they compare it to AFD or UYI
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2006, 04:30:49 PM »

Here's the company line for the "average" rock fan about Guns.  "AFD was a great album, a classic, the Illusions had some good songs but weren't as good and it's not Guns N Roses without Slash".  I wouldn't expect many of the "average" rock fans to give credit where credit is due, no matter how good the album is, at least at first.  When the average rock fan hears "this is GnR" they automatically expect AFD and when they hear something drastically different like "Better" or "IRS", it catches them off guard
Shoco
VIP

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2006, 04:33:04 PM »

my mam liked twat
shaun
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2006, 04:34:40 PM »

Here's the company line for the "average" rock fan about Guns.  "AFD was a great album, a classic, the Illusions had some good songs but weren't as good and it's not Guns N Roses without Slash".  I wouldn't expect many of the "average" rock fans to give credit where credit is due, no matter how good the album is, at least at first.  When the average rock fan hears "this is GnR" they automatically expect AFD and when they hear something drastically different like "Better" or "IRS", it catches them off guard

The idea behind the 2 UYI albums was to clear the backlog and to start fresh afterwards. And aferwards we got a punk cover album and a live album. Not good, and the band fell apart. They should have released just one UYI album containing only the good tracks and not included cover songs.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2006, 04:36:29 PM »

Here's the company line for the "average" rock fan about Guns. ?"AFD was a great album, a classic, the Illusions had some good songs but weren't as good and it's not Guns N Roses without Slash". ?I wouldn't expect many of the "average" rock fans to give credit where credit is due, no matter how good the album is, at least at first. ?When the average rock fan hears "this is GnR" they automatically expect AFD and when they hear something drastically different like "Better" or "IRS", it catches them off guard

You have just described the reason why 99.9999999% of bands rename their solo projects when the band breaks up instead of keeping the original name. To avoid the comparisons you mentioned.

Axl had to know that calling the band GNR would hamper him as much as it helps when he decided to carry on with the name, so he can't complain about people comparing the 2 because he gave them the invitation to do so by releasing this as a GNR record. You can't always have your cake and eat it too.
Nick722
Headliner

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2006, 04:40:29 PM »

Everyone that called in on 101 Wrif (Detroit radio station) liked it, including the DJ's.
I called my friend who is a GNR fan himself (New Guns too) and said IRS was gonna be on the radio
at five. When I sent him the last rough scratchy demo, he said it was okay. I don't know what he thought
of the the clear full song yet, though.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2006, 04:42:41 PM »

You have just described the reason why 99.9999999% of bands rename their solo projects when the band breaks up instead of keeping the original name. To avoid the comparisons you mentioned.

Axl had to know that calling the band GNR would hamper him as much as it helps when he decided to carry on with the name, so he can't complain about people comparing the 2 because he gave them the invitation to do so by releasing this as a GNR record. You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

At the same time, as long as the music is good it's still going to do well.  You know that no matter what the hardcore fans are going to buy the album anyway.  GnR has such a huge international fanbase that people will buy the album, especially outside of the US where the fans are much more open minded.  And a lot of the Axl haters are going to end up buying the album anyway just so they can complain about it because that's what they live for, complaining.  He's got a big task redefining GnR but songs like "Better" could bring in a whole other fanbase.  Axl said in his last interview that it's not going to sound like old GnR with the exception of a few songs.  If it's good music and people are too close minded to enjoy it because it "doesn't have Slash" that's their loss
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2006, 04:46:21 PM »

I saw some posts on another forum not anything related to gnr but there was a post for it and the songs linked....the non die hard fans were expecting the old gnr sound there fore not really liking it...the only song that got a positive response was Better. 

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: