Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:02:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This I Love - discussion/comments
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This I Love - discussion/comments  (Read 172962 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 07:06:43 AM »

This will probably be the only negativity I'll have

This song is incredible, probably my favorite GNR Song ever

that guitar solo though.............................................. that is the only thing wrong with this. If Finck had done a "Street of Dreams" type thing or just something with a bit more melody and movement, this song would be a one million out of 10

instead its just 990,000 out of 10  hihi

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
iloozion
Rocker

...we had the strength to choose...

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 07:15:21 AM »

that guitar solo though.............................................. that is the only thing wrong with this. If Finck had done a "Street of Dreams" type thing or just something with a bit more melody and movement, this song would be a one million out of 10

i totally agree. i love the song but the solo kind of........ruins it a bit (just a little bit!)
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 07:17:33 AM »

I promised myself not to hear "Sorry" or "This I Love" until I have the album in my hands and I won't.

But my girlfriend did listen the song and said that was beautiful and very emotional (and she always says shit about GN'R to make me anger hihi)

Waldorf
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 07:26:11 AM »

patti's rocking it! I LOVE HARP!
this i love is beautiful. love
thomas
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 07:34:07 AM »

Before I forget...

Major props go out to Patti Hood.

i don't hear the harp or whatever she use on the song
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 07:40:44 AM »

Before I forget...

Major props go out to Patti Hood.

i don't hear the harp or whatever she use on the song

you don't hear a harp  Huh ... I hear it very well!

i totally agree. i love the song but the solo kind of........ruins it a bit (just a little bit!)

well I absoultely adore the solo ... it couldn't be any better ... but just my opinion Smiley

v. ..

gonella
Opening Act

Wake up.... Try..... And Dieeeeeeeeee

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 08:04:53 AM »

the sound of song seems that came from 93.. it sounds very similiar with the sonority of UYI..Smiley
hooliganscomics
Banned
Headliner

Kool Aid free since '93

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 08:18:14 AM »

I guess I'm the minority here. A very blah song to me. It's too Broadway for my taste. The piano melody is beautiful but the lyrical rhythm is too predictable. I really detest rhyming every line. Very Phantom of The Oprea. I imagine if it's a single it would do very well because the masses love sappy ballads. Every heartbroken girl will play it hugging their pillow. But as far as masterpieces go for me it's no "Estranged"

If you don't like what I have to say stop reading my posts.
Lurk
Headliner

Here Today... Gone to KFC

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 08:21:15 AM »

I was never a fan of Robin, and I have always preferred GN'R when they are rocking hard. Shockingly, this song is by far my favourite on the album. I especially like the guitar work, and when everyone is unhappy about Robin being out (allegedly), I wasn't at all bothered. Now I am a little annoyed I won't get to hear him play this solo live.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 08:28:09 AM »

Here's more I didn't expect from GN'R. This effort knocks is completely out of the park. The lyrics are so direct and sang with such heart that they express more then what's just being sang. What I didn't expect was the fairly basic production. I love how the song could have SO much more going on, but it doesn't. That says alot to me about the message of the song. The solo is incredible for many reasons. The feeling in the vocal performance & lyrics is clearly felt in the solo as well. I love the fact that the song fakes a huge ending only to stop and get back to the heart of the matter
5/5

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 08:35:59 AM »

This I love.

It's very powerful, and emotional, and you can practically feel the emotion emanating from Axl.  It's one of the most intimate "artist/consumer" connections I've ever felt and Axl should be commended, IMHO, for putting himself out there like that.

It's not my favorite song on the album...I'm leaning toward Sorry for that...but I think it's the most powerful piece of music I've heard in a LONG time.  My wife listened to it...it actually made her cry.  I suspect you might see that reaction from a lot of people.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 08:40:35 AM »

This is going to sound really gay, but this song nearly made me cry. It might just be the excitment from the album being out but at the moment, I think this is better than Estranged. Its a big call, especially for me, but this song is just amazing. I can't really describe the way I feel but I think you have an idea of what I'm talking about.

This is on par, the the greatest day of my life. The other being the time I partied with the boys in Adelaide until 7am.

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
Axlative
Rocker

All Better now!

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 08:42:31 AM »

The song reminds me of a musical, like Cats or Phantom Of The Opera... and some of the lyrics make me cringe. But a great solo, hopefully the song will grow on me.

I'm exactly in the same place when it comes to TIL.
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 09:19:09 AM »

Just listened few more times and I am enjoying it as much as nothing before... to me it is one of the best solos Finck ever did. If he is out of the band I guess both Axl and Finck will feel sad when playing/hearing solo part of this song ... but life goes on ...

This song and Sorry are the best songs GNR ever did. This album is better than any album GNR ever did. My period. It is... to me Smiley ...

v. ..
Journeyman
VIP

Not like you, unlike me...

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 09:35:34 AM »

Its a masterpiece without a doubt! Its genius work the way Axl worked the song to grow anxiety to the listener

2/7/92 -  Alvalade, Portugal
27/5/06 - RIR, Portugal
30/7/06 - Wembley Arena, London
6/10/10 - Meo Arena, Portugal
7/5/16 - AXL/DC Algés, Portugal
2/6/17 - Algés, Portugal
5/6/22 - Algés, Portug
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 09:38:54 AM »

I don't know how anyone can say the solo is bad! I think the solo takes the song to a much higher place and it totally fits the song!
Methanol
Rocker

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 09:43:35 AM »

Along with "If The World" it's hands down the worst track on the album. The whole piano theme sounds like a variation of some old classic song I just don't remember right now. But it certainly sounds very familiar.

mikestone
Opening Act

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 09:46:04 AM »

its o.k Undecided not what i expected from this song!

as stated before the lyrics are too predictable !! (why,cry,lie,die)

i've got a funny feeling
Lurk
Headliner

Here Today... Gone to KFC

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 09:57:36 AM »

My wife is Korean, and it takes a while for her to understand English lyrics. She hates rock music, tends to dislike most western music, and thinks my fascination and excitement with GN'R is an amusement at best, and annoying at worst (our 4 months old daughter loves Appetite now Cheesy ). That said, she recognises that this song is a masterpiece. She had the melody down after the first listen. She is hooked on the song and not only thinks it is amazing, but she reckons the track is so powerful that anybody can understand it without knowing what the lyrics are. This is the real hit on the album, and the one that will kick people in the balls no matter how old they are, no matter what their musical tastes are, and regardless of whether they have heard of GN'R before or not.

This is Your Song, Without You, Just the Way You Are, and any other classic rock ballad you care to name. It is a song your mothers wives and daughters are going love, and in 20 years time, it will probably be the song most people recognise from this album.
TWT
Rocker

GNR's next lead guitarist

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2008, 10:00:51 AM »

I like it and it's a brave song because it will be the one that ends up getting the most hate from detractors of the new GNR. Integral to the flow of the album.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: