Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:20:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  What happened to Paul Tobias?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What happened to Paul Tobias?  (Read 29725 times)
mrsaxlrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2005, 09:21:55 PM »

Slash was not happy about Tobias being on SFTD, that's partly why he left GNR

Yes, dammit, I WILL be Mrs. Axl Rose someday soon....
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2005, 09:29:41 PM »

Playing on a song that never should have been covered and was characterized by a former GNR member as "the sound of the band breaking up" is nothing to champion the guy about...

Yeah, but consider who said it was the sound of the band breaking up, and their unhappiness with how the decision was made for Paul to be playing on it.? That former member saying that is in no way relevant to the quality of the playing.? Same thing for whether it should have been covered or not, Paul's playing still compliments Slash very nicely.? Similar to what Dave pointed out, I've yet to hear any complaints about the performances on that song.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2005, 10:13:16 PM »

Paul "Huge" Tobias is the Yoko Ono of Guns N Roses. I say good riddance!? he wasn't all that good anyway.

He was not that good? Its funny since he played on SFTD and no one ever said the playing on that sucked. He was not the Ono of gnr since he was just there until they found a new player. Slash, duff or matt NEVER brough in or gave Axl any names to consider.

well, SFTD was a studio recorded song, he probably did more takes than Steven Adler did on Civil War to get it right..
and how do you know if Slash or Duff gave Axl any names or not?
and if Im not wrong, Matt gave the well known name Robin Finck to Axl..

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 10:36:13 PM »

Paul "Huge" Tobias is the Yoko Ono of Guns N Roses. I say good riddance!? he wasn't all that good anyway.

He was not that good? Its funny since he played on SFTD and no one ever said the playing on that sucked. He was not the Ono of gnr since he was just there until they found a new player. Slash, duff or matt NEVER brough in or gave Axl any names to consider.

well, SFTD was a studio recorded song, he probably did more takes than Steven Adler did on Civil War to get it right..
That was after Slash left. Matt pointed out Robin with the idea of him playing rhythm, and Slash coming back to GNR (given that Slash and Matt are supposed to be good friends, perhaps Slash actually did want to come back at this point? I don't know.)
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 11:10:43 PM »

Bah. Who cares. Fortus is a MAJOR upgrade.

I wouldn't worry about Paul Tobias anyway. He's probably selling steak knives door to door until CD hits it huge and he can start raking in some royalties. ok

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
suicide
VIP

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2005, 04:42:28 AM »

Regarding Paul Tobias Axl said:

"The public gets a different story from the other guys - Slash, Duff, Matt - who have their own agendas. The original intentions between Paul and myself were that Paul was going to help me for as long as it took to get this thing together in whatever capacity that he could help me in. So when he first was brought into this, he was brought in as a writer to work with Slash. At the time those guys never suggested one name. Nobody else. Ever.

Paul was one of the best people we knew who was both available and capable of complimenting Slash's style. You could bring in a better guitar player than Paul. You could bring in a monster. I tried putting Zakk Wylde with Slash and that didn't work. It brought out some interesting things in Slash but it was a different approach that ended up being overpowering and didn't bring out the best in Slash. It brought out some interesting things and it would've worked to do some songs. But Paul was only interested in complimenting Slash, laying down a foundation of a riff or something. That would accent or encourage slash's lead playing. Now whether or not Paul was going to be officially on the album or on the tour that really wasn't an actual consideration at the time. It was in the air as a possibility but Paul was a friend trying to help us and he had a huge respect for Slash. He is and this is the bottom line a good man and that's the reality behind things. That doesn't change what took place with old Guns. I feel that some of the recordings we did in that limited amount of time had some of the best playing that Slash had done at least since Illusions. I was there. I know what I heard and it was pretty exciting."

On Richard Fortus replacing Paul Tobias:

"Paul helped us a lot in the writing and the recording of this record and to me was a vital part of not only the band but also my life. The world tour really wasn't his cup of tea whereas he's much more comfortable in a studio setting. We're fortunate to have found Richard who has this vibe kind of like Izzy but with amazing feel. The first thing I heard Richard play was the beginning of "Stray Cat Blues" by the Stones and he did it with the right feel. Richard likes to play rhythm. He's an amazing lead player and very technically skilled. He really likes the pocket that Brain sets and the two of them click with Tommy so we finally have the real deal rhythm section, as Richard is a proven professional. Basically, Richard's the guy that we always were looking for. I think that we'll go on to write some very interesting things with Richard and he's already done some rhythm work and some leads on the album."

Source: GUNS N' ROSES LAUCH "CHINESE DEMOCRACY" TOUR IN CHINA - GNRONLINE.COM

---

I think Paul will be on the Democracy-album, I guess he didn't like the pressure of playing live in front of 250.000 people.
usurper
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2005, 05:23:53 AM »

I think Paul will be on the Democracy-album, I guess he didn't like the pressure of playing live in front of 250.000 people.
n when Slash left, not when Gilby was fired

That can be respected, I doubt any of you have ever played in front of 200,000 people and to be hated by most GNR fans. That must suck
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 05:27:10 AM by usurper » Logged
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2005, 09:41:56 AM »

That was after Slash left. Matt pointed out Robin with the idea of him playing rhythm, and Slash coming back to GNR (given that Slash and Matt are supposed to be good friends, perhaps Slash actually did want to come back at this point? I don't know.)

I don't think Slash ever considered coming back...
and, so what? Robin Finck is still a name isn't it?

usurper
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2005, 01:59:44 PM »

Before the 2002 tour and the VR thing I think he wouldn't have minded a reunion, but after is a whole different story
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2005, 08:34:56 AM »

He was not that good? Its funny since he played on SFTD and no one ever said the playing on that sucked.

I'll go ahead and say it now then. There is some pretty ragged and badly played rhythm guitar on SFTD. And Paul's little 'answer' part of the guitar solo ain't a whole lot to get hard over either.

Slash, duff or matt NEVER brough in or gave Axl any names to consider.

Yeah, according to Axl. One mans comment does not the truth make. There is Axl's truth, and the there is the rest of the old band's truth. Somewhere in the middle of that is the real truth.
usurper
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2005, 11:25:08 AM »

He was not that good? Its funny since he played on SFTD and no one ever said the playing on that sucked.

I'll go ahead and say it now then. There is some pretty ragged and badly played rhythm guitar on SFTD. And Paul's little 'answer' part of the guitar solo ain't a whole lot to get hard over either.

Yeah, according to Axl. One mans comment does not the truth make. There is Axl's truth, and the there is the rest of the old band's truth. Somewhere in the middle of that is the real truth.

Read all the Slash, Matt and Duff interviews, nowhere will they say they gave Axl any names to consider for the rhythm guitar spot.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2005, 11:35:19 AM »

Read all the Slash, Matt and Duff interviews, nowhere will they say they gave Axl any names to consider for the rhythm guitar spot.

and that proves it? no

HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2005, 07:27:03 PM »

Yes, it's a name, but that's at least a year AFTER SLASH LEFT. You'll notice that Tobias was brought in to work with Slash, so that's BEFORE SLASH LEFT. Tobias was brought in because none of the other members had offered any other name. It doesn't matter if Sorum picked out Finck after Slash left, it has no bearing on the decision to bring in Tobias years before that.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2005, 07:47:36 PM »

Yes, it's a name, but that's at least a year AFTER SLASH LEFT. You'll notice that Tobias was brought in to work with Slash, so that's BEFORE SLASH LEFT. Tobias was brought in because none of the other members had offered any other name. It doesn't matter if Sorum picked out Finck after Slash left, it has no bearing on the decision to bring in Tobias years before that.

you do know that Axl brought Paul in without consulting the others, right?

HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2005, 09:40:27 PM »

you do know that Axl brought Paul in without consulting the others, right?

Yes. Big deal. They all knew the guy, so it was hardly as though Axl just picked someone off the street. And if they didn't like it, there's a simply way to deal with that; "Hey, Axl, we hate Paul. Why don't we get X guy from X band instead?"

Of course, there's always the "throw a hissy fit and go crying to the press" option too.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2005, 12:05:58 AM »

First point, no one ever bitch about that song when they thought it was Gilby playing on it, just now when people know its paul do they say his guitar part sucks on the song.

2nd point. Show me one interivew or just name me one person slash duff or matt named as a replacemnt for Gilby.
Here is a hint, there is none because they never gave axl one.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 01:15:19 AM »

First point, no one ever bitch about that song when they thought it was Gilby playing on it, just now when people know its paul do they say his guitar part sucks on the song.

2nd point. Show me one interivew or just name me one person slash duff or matt named as a replacemnt for Gilby.

rubbish. I have stated all along that Huges parts on Sympathy are a disgrace on principal alone.

The fact that Slash etc.. hadn't suggested a replacement means nothing in the context of this point(if infact they didnt? suggest anyone as it cant be corroborated either way). Slash wasn't informed Huge was going to do those parts, he found out after the fact - that is a disgrace no matter how you look at it, to treat the only real guitar "icon" of the last 25 years in such away. It's as much an insult as if say Slash had? brought in one of his old buddies from back home to sing over Axls vocals without telling Axl. I'm sure Axl wouldnt have been happy about that regardless of if he'd suggested someone else or not.

Both Axl and Slash are two of the greatest icons/legends etc.. the rock n' roll gods have ever created. That Axl chose to treat Slash with such disrespect amazes me.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 02:27:45 AM by jimmythegent » Logged

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
mrsaxlrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2005, 07:42:37 AM »

rubbish. I have stated all along that Huges parts on Sympathy are a disgrace on principal alone.

The fact that Slash etc.. hadn't suggested a replacement means nothing in the context of this point(if infact they didnt? suggest anyone as it cant be corroborated either way). Slash wasn't informed Huge was going to do those parts, he found out after the fact - that is a disgrace no matter how you look at it, to treat the only real guitar "icon" of the last 25 years in such away. It's as much an insult as if say Slash had? brought in one of his old buddies from back home to sing over Axls vocals without telling Axl. I'm sure Axl wouldnt have been happy about that regardless of if he'd suggested someone else or not.

Both Axl and Slash are two of the greatest icons/legends etc.. the rock n' roll gods have ever created. That Axl chose to treat Slash with such disrespect amazes me.

Exactly!!.  I remember reading somewhere that Slash said that was the worst thing Axl ever did to him, bringing in Tobias on SFTD w/o telling him first.  It is an insult, as Slash and Tobias are nowhere in the same league.

Yes, dammit, I WILL be Mrs. Axl Rose someday soon....
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2005, 08:24:51 AM »

I've always thought that SFTD sucked. Mostly due to the guitar playing. My first reaction to that song was something along the lines of 'this is pretty sub-par for a GnR release....'. I just didn't happen to be around here to express that to you. Sorry. I'll be sure to check all my opinions with you from here on in.  Grin

And because it was never expressed in print or an interview it never happened? That logic make no sense: 'I never saw it expressed in any interviews therefore it never happened....'. C'mon dude, thats just silly.

Your argument holds no water. Who knows what went on with them during that time. You don't know any more than I do about it so don't feed me some bullshit argument trying to prove that you do.
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2005, 08:29:56 AM »

So the fuck what? So its only true if you can read it somewhere? Bullshit.

I've been reading since 1999 that Chinese Democracy is almost done. And we all know what a pile or horseshit that is. Don't beleive everything you read, and don't assume if you didn't read it that it never happened.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: