Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 01:55:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy is $1.99 at Best Buy
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy is $1.99 at Best Buy  (Read 58103 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #260 on: August 10, 2011, 01:41:37 PM »

I covered this earlier in the thread

CD is 1.99 cause Best Buy was the only retailer with their exclusive deal thus they have a lot of copies left HOWEVER every band has hundreds of thousands of excess copies its just they are spread around many many many other stores.

One thing to cover is that Best Buy is getting rid of many of their exclusive titles by MANY artists. I just picked up a triple live vinyl by The Police the other day at Best Buy for the price of $1.99 as well. I looked into it and found out this was also a BBY exclusive. I asked around at a few stores and was told that Best Buy is seriously reducing the size of their packaged media departments between now and Christmas and a big part of that is clearing out ALL exclusive titles they have a bunch of.

So again, it's a great album for a steal of a price. Why not just be happy with that instead of claiming the sky is falling over it?

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #261 on: August 10, 2011, 01:44:38 PM »

CD is 1.99 cause Best Buy was the only retailer with their exclusive deal thus they have a lot of copies left HOWEVER every band has hundreds of thousands of excess copies its just they are spread around many many many other stores.

One thing to cover is that Best Buy is getting rid of many of their exclusive titles by MANY artists. I just picked up a triple live vinyl by The Police the other day at Best Buy for the price of $1.99 as well. I looked into it and found out this was also a BBY exclusive. I asked around at a few stores and was told that Best Buy is seriously reducing the size of their packaged media departments between now and Christmas and a big part of that is clearing out ALL exclusive titles they have a bunch of.

So again, it's a great album for a steal of a price. Why not just be happy with that instead of claiming the sky is falling over it?

That's an interesting point.  It may be that the CD sell-off is related to more of an overall corporate strategic decision.

I'm sure that point will be ignored by the haters, though.  Haters love to hate, bitch and moan, so that's why they look at the situation from a negative perspective.

Ali
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #262 on: August 10, 2011, 04:09:15 PM »

That's an interesting point.  It may be that the CD sell-off is related to more of an overall corporate strategic decision.

I'm sure that point will be ignored by the haters, though.  Haters love to hate, bitch and moan, so that's why they look at the situation from a negative perspective.

Ali

Yeah, I hear that.

But having said that, I think that's exactly the plan. Part of my job is to visit several Best Buy locations each day. One of them has a friend I've known for years. He's the one that tipped me off the the media area getting smaller. He looked up a ton of Best Buy Exclusive skus for me and showed me all the price drops. That's how I got in on The Police live LP for so cheap. The Rolling Stones, Elton John and several other artists are effected, not just Guns N' Roses.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
Stoned_In_L.A.
Headliner

« Reply #263 on: August 10, 2011, 06:09:34 PM »

It seems to me that (at least) some Best Buy employees were put off by the whole Chinese Democracy saga, and so if given the chance they'll say anything to disparage the album. 

And regardless, I wouldn't trust anything a Best Buy associate has to say concerning why there aren't any copies left on the shelves because there's no demand vs. their abundant supply.  Do you really think they have that kind of knowledge? 

Really?

I'm sure most BB associates couldn't care less about Chinese Democracy or how well it sold.

I think its a long shot to suggest that these are just jaded employees who have an axe to grind.

And yes, I think it's HIGHLY possible that the album's price was reduced by 80% because they were trying to get it off the shelves. What other reasonable explanation is there?

Do you think they reduced it because it was selling extremely well?
Buddy, where did I say it was reduced because it was selling extremely well?  Re-read my post(s) and show me where I said anything remotely close to that.  I'll save you the trouble, you won't find it.  I NEVER said that. 

If you take the time to re-read what I wrote, you would see that I never stated that you said the price was reduced because it was selling well. I asked if you thought the album was reduced by 80% because it was selling well.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #264 on: August 10, 2011, 07:16:29 PM »

In my Best buy store they've shrunk music dept in half already. very tiny space now.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #265 on: August 10, 2011, 07:46:49 PM »

In my Best buy store they've shrunk music dept in half already. very tiny space now.

Certain people are gonna ignore this, as well as other facts, and just keep going with the "only Chinese Democracy's price was lowered" phrase.

It's more convenient than facing facts!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #266 on: August 10, 2011, 07:58:58 PM »

I'm curious, did other cds got on sale for that price, or was it just a Chinese Democracy promotion in the US?

Oh My God i cant deny this...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #267 on: August 10, 2011, 08:04:14 PM »

Certain people are gonna ignore this, as well as other facts, and just keep going with the "only Chinese Democracy's price was lowered" phrase.

/jarmo

when i say shrunk.. I'm talking so small It took me a while to find it... Blu Ray has taken all the shelf space. Mine had maybe 2 shelves front and back and that was it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #268 on: August 10, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »

/jarmo

when i say shrunk.. I'm talking so small It took me a while to find it... Blu Ray has taken all the shelf space. Mine had maybe 2 shelves front and back and that was it.

Is your Best Buy still stuck with no running water and electricity thanks to a generator? hihi

Haven't visited my Best Buy in months, but last time I was there (January-ish) there was only about 4/5 sections of CDs now...not sure what it is now.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #269 on: August 10, 2011, 08:38:51 PM »

I'm curious, did other cds got on sale for that price, or was it just a Chinese Democracy promotion in the US?

I feel bad for disappointing you (NOT!), but it's not just GN'R: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=61869.msg1296659#msg1296659

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #270 on: August 10, 2011, 08:42:18 PM »

I feel bad for disappointing you (NOT!), but it's not just GN'R: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=61869.msg1296659#msg1296659

/jarmo

You're not disappointing me, i was just curious. Something strange is happening here in Portugal too. I bought a couple of cds for 3.50 euros

I wish i could buy some new cds for just 2 dollars. I would buy a ton!  hihi
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 08:48:50 PM by Halo69 » Logged

Oh My God i cant deny this...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #271 on: August 11, 2011, 12:00:43 AM »

It seems to me that (at least) some Best Buy employees were put off by the whole Chinese Democracy saga, and so if given the chance they'll say anything to disparage the album. 

And regardless, I wouldn't trust anything a Best Buy associate has to say concerning why there aren't any copies left on the shelves because there's no demand vs. their abundant supply.  Do you really think they have that kind of knowledge? 

Really?

I'm sure most BB associates couldn't care less about Chinese Democracy or how well it sold.

I think its a long shot to suggest that these are just jaded employees who have an axe to grind.

And yes, I think it's HIGHLY possible that the album's price was reduced by 80% because they were trying to get it off the shelves. What other reasonable explanation is there?

Do you think they reduced it because it was selling extremely well?
Buddy, where did I say it was reduced because it was selling extremely well?  Re-read my post(s) and show me where I said anything remotely close to that.  I'll save you the trouble, you won't find it.  I NEVER said that. 

If you take the time to re-read what I wrote, you would see that I never stated that you said the price was reduced because it was selling well. I asked if you thought the album was reduced by 80% because it was selling well.

Why ask a question we all know the answer to?  Just trying to be smart?

The answer is no.  Next question.

And as other people have stated, there are MANY reasons as to why the price was reduced other than it was selling poorly.  But if you want to harp on that one and only reason, be my guest.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:02:55 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #272 on: August 11, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »

Is your Best Buy still stuck with no running water and electricity thanks to a generator? hihi

Haven't visited my Best Buy in months, but last time I was there (January-ish) there was only about 4/5 sections of CDs now...not sure what it is now.

Your comparison is an oxymoron... His Best Buy is being realistic by not carrying CD's... You'd be more likely compared to no running water, while listening to your cd player powered by a generator... Digital is the way it is now
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #273 on: August 13, 2011, 02:11:03 PM »

For what it's worth, all of the vinyl copies of Chinese in the Detroit area Best Buys have been sent back to BBY headquarters.

If you see one and you've ever remotely thought about owning the vinyl, grab it while you can!

Stoned_In_L.A.
Headliner

« Reply #274 on: August 13, 2011, 08:24:27 PM »

For what it's worth, all of the vinyl copies of Chinese in the Detroit area Best Buys have been sent back to BBY headquarters.

If you see one and you've ever remotely thought about owning the vinyl, grab it while you can!

Interesting.

I went to my local BB today to pick up a 3D tv that I've been wanting.

While briefly looking at the small inventory of albums, I noticed that there were still quite a few vinyls of CD available.

I didn't buy one, but I did pick up the only AFD vinyl that was on the shelf.

Aside from the cd, the only copy of AFD that I own is the vinyl with the banned cover and it's sealed.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:27:04 PM by Stoned_In_L.A. » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #275 on: August 13, 2011, 09:34:19 PM »

The good thing is that they won't sell any more of the vinyls with the sub par sound...

Would love to see a proper edition of it. With no distortion.

/jarmo

russtcb
Legend

« Reply #276 on: August 13, 2011, 11:29:34 PM »

The good thing is that they won't sell any more of the vinyls with the sub par sound...

Would love to see a proper edition of it. With no distortion.

/jarmo

You and me both! I'd easily drop another $20-$30 on another vinyl copy if I knew that it was going to sound the way the band wanted me to hear it. Here's hoping.

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #277 on: August 14, 2011, 05:16:51 PM »

MY NEW COLLECTION

beer peace beer

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »

what's this?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/CD/19470459.p?id=2247759&skuId=19470459&st=guns+n%27+roses&lp=1&cp=1

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2011, 09:49:40 PM »

Just run the UPC number through google....

It came up with "Use Your Illusion 2 (Japan) SHM"

In other words, nothing new.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: