Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:29:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227882 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Anyone else hope Steven ISN'T involved?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone else hope Steven ISN'T involved?  (Read 49009 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #260 on: March 02, 2016, 02:41:23 PM »

I really struggle to understand how one would PREFER to have Frank be the drummer in Guns N Roses With Axl, Slash and Duff. 

I don't.

I'd struggle to understand anyone that was super pro-Frank that was also not seriously invested in making sure the 2001 line-ups get their just due.

But, since I have yet to see a person make that argument that was not part of both groups, I get it.  Don't agree with it, but get the rationale.

Well yeah I get that about the stance...

but Slash and Duff are back... so fighting that fight is a little bit moot now.
As zombux pointed out, Brain was the drummer in 2001.

Frank is the current drummer for GNR and so there's nothing moot about fighting the fight that he, along with Dizzy, Chris, and Richard, are very deserving of their places on that stage along side Axl, Slash and Duff.

I didn't say he isn't deserving or has done a bad job since he took over... but I see no reason why any fan would be attached to Frank as the drummer over one of the TWO drummers that were prominently featured on 90 percent of GNR's music.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #261 on: March 02, 2016, 02:46:01 PM »

I see Frank, Richard, and Chris as concessions to Axl.

As in, if that's what Axl needs to give the appearance that he isn't simply turning his back on the past 15 years...so what?  Cost of doing business.

Yep, and it would make Slash & Duff rejoining seem somewhat organic.  And you also have to consider that those guys are on the unreleased music as well, and might make playing those songs easier live depending on how involved they are.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #262 on: March 02, 2016, 02:59:23 PM »

but I see no reason why any fan would be attached to Frank as the drummer over one of the TWO drummers that were prominently featured on 90 percent of GNR's music.

You mean you don't see why someone would be attached to the present, or at least close to the present, rather than something from say two decades ago?
To put it in another way, people know Frank can play any of those songs. He's been part of GN'R for almost ten years by now.

Now, before anybody's underwear starts getting uncomfortable, I'm not saying anything about whether or not Steven should or shouldn't be included. Only pointing out why Frank is a favorite for some fans. Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #263 on: March 02, 2016, 03:03:55 PM »

but I see no reason why any fan would be attached to Frank as the drummer over one of the TWO drummers that were prominently featured on 90 percent of GNR's music.

You mean you don't see why someone would be attached to the present, or at least close to the present, rather than something from say two decades ago?
To put it in another way, people know Frank can play any of those songs. He's been part of GN'R for almost ten years by now.

Now, before anybody's underwear starts getting uncomfortable, I'm not saying anything about whether or not Steven should or shouldn't be included. Only pointing out why Frank is a favorite for some fans. Smiley

/jarmo

Mr Reliable, you get exactly what's required, he doesn't fuck up, he doesn't put you on edge he delivers, what's not to like... End of
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #264 on: March 02, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »

As in, if that's what Axl needs to give the appearance that he isn't simply turning his back on the past 15 years...so what?  Cost of doing business.

Yep, and it would make Slash & Duff rejoining seem somewhat organic.  And you also have to consider that those guys are on the unreleased music as well, and might make playing those songs easier live depending on how involved they are.

The more of those guy Axl can keep around, the less you are hit with questions about how you gave up the ghost and retreated back to safer ground.

Suppose Axl, in addition to Slash and Duff, brought back Gilby and Matt and told Chris he wasn't needed any longer.  The obvious impression would be that he cashed out and went back to last thing that connected with the public.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #265 on: March 02, 2016, 03:18:17 PM »

How are they concessions when they are already in the band?  Slash and Duff appear to be rejoining Axl, Richard, Dizzy, Chris, and Franks band..  That might be uncomfortable for some to acknowledge, but those are the facts.  Those guys have played every single show with the band for over a decade.

I know I'm kind of in the minority on this, but this doesn't look like a reunion to me, but a continuation with Slash and Duff rejoining the band.  Maybe I'm just crazy.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #266 on: March 02, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »

Concessions??

It will be more of a concession on Axl's part if Steven is thrown a bone and allowed to participate in the upcoming shows in any way, shape or form.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #267 on: March 02, 2016, 03:20:26 PM »

I know I'm kind of in the minority on this, but this doesn't look like a reunion to me, but a continuation with Slash and Duff rejoining the band.  Maybe I'm just crazy.
no, you're absolutely right.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #268 on: March 02, 2016, 03:22:33 PM »

I don't think so. 

But it seems that its important to you that's all seen as a straight line evolution.  Would that be fair to say?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #269 on: March 02, 2016, 03:23:35 PM »

/jarmo

Call me crazy... id rather see the musicians behind the songs on stage. That's all.

Nothing against Frank. Guy has done solid work in concert all the times I have seen him.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #270 on: March 02, 2016, 03:25:44 PM »

The more of those guy Axl can keep around, the less you are hit with questions about how you gave up the ghost and retreated back to safer ground.

Suppose Axl, in addition to Slash and Duff, brought back Gilby and Matt and told Chris he wasn't needed any longer.  The obvious impression would be that he cashed out and went back to last thing that connected with the public.

I'm just really hoping that Slash being on the next official GNR release was part of the "package".  I know he lives outside of time in terms of putting shit out, but I have to believe that Axl and all involved parties understand that after the upcoming shows that Slash not appearing on the next record is not an option.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #271 on: March 02, 2016, 03:25:51 PM »

Concessions??

Think of it like this.

When talking to Slash and Duff about coming back, it no doubt came up who the other guys would be.  Would it be Izzy and Steven?  Would it be Gilby and Matt?  Would it be the guys who have been manning both posts most recently?

I think its important to Axl to have it be the latter, for appearances sake.  To help sell how organic and totally natural this all is.

And if you are Slash and Duff, maybe you care, maybe you don't.  But you might also not have enough of a dog in the fight to care, so you just shrug your shoulders and tell Axl it's fine by you.

Everyone wins in that scenario, no?  Axl, Slash and Duff, the fans who get to see the shows.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #272 on: March 02, 2016, 03:27:22 PM »

I'm just really hoping that Slash being on the next official GNR release was part of the "package".  I know he lives outside of time in terms of putting shit out, but I have to believe that Axl and all involved parties understand that after the upcoming shows that Slash not appearing on the next record is not an option.

Assuming there even is one.

I think its hardly outside the realm of possibility this tour could be a victory lap of sorts for all involved.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #273 on: March 02, 2016, 03:28:59 PM »

Assuming there even is one.

I think its hardly outside the realm of possibility this tour could be a victory lap of sorts for all involved.

Could be.  I'm only basing this on the recent rumors that Slash is currently recording for Guns.  Who knows what's real with the complete lack of concrete info.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »

I don't believe it has anything to do with appearance or whatever you want to call it.

I just don't think they view Steven has a viable full time option... and for whatever reason... Matt isn't wanted...

As for the other guys... Richard is the perfect guy for Izzy's spot and there you go...

I don't think there is a lot more to it than that.

HOWEVER ... I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHY MATT SORUM WAS NOT ASKED OR CONSIDERED .

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #275 on: March 02, 2016, 03:31:53 PM »

Could be.  I'm only basing this on the recent rumors that Slash is currently recording for Guns.  Who knows what's real with the complete lack of concrete info.

If true, and like you say...who the hell knows, that's the wildest part of all of this.

Slash on as yet unreleased stuff under the GNR banner is, at least to me, even more improbable than him playing with Axl live again.

Would be one insane turn of events, and good fortune for we fans.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #276 on: March 02, 2016, 03:32:43 PM »

I don't believe it has anything to do with appearance or whatever you want to call it.

I just don't think they view Steven has a viable full time option... and for whatever reason... Matt isn't wanted...

As for the other guys... Richard is the perfect guy for Izzy's spot and there you go...

If we really are to believe that DJ & Tommy left on their own with no prior knowledge of the upcoming reunion, then I think it's safe to assume that Frank, Richard & Chris were kept out of respect for their time in the band and for their loyalty to Axl over the years.  Really don't think it's more complicated than that.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #277 on: March 02, 2016, 03:34:04 PM »

If we really are to believe that DJ & Tommy left on their own with no prior knowledge of the upcoming reunion, then I think it's safe to assume that Frank, Richard & Chris were kept out of respect for their time in the band and for their loyalty to Axl over the years.  Really don't think it's more complicated than that.

Yeah you are probably right.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #278 on: March 02, 2016, 03:36:57 PM »

If true, and like you say...who the hell knows, that's the wildest part of all of this.

Slash on as yet unreleased stuff under the GNR banner is, at least to me, even more improbable than him playing with Axl live again.

Would be one insane turn of events, and good fortune for we fans.

It would be Slash doing Axl and the fans a MAJOR, MAJOR solid if he's recording for Chinese Democracy II, or whatever it's called.  However unlikely it may be, I honestly believe that's the only way we'll get a proper album from GNR again.  Axl hasn't recorded, at length anyway, since the early 00s. I just don't see him writing and recording a new album again...with any lineup.  Has to be songs he already recorded vocals for.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #279 on: March 02, 2016, 03:42:48 PM »

Yeah you are probably right.

That's gotta be it.  Duff already gets along great with them, knows their styles, etc. I'm sure he told Slash they're solid players, and we know he already had Richard on his radar from back when he tried to poach him to play in his touring band. It probably was a very short conversation between the big three that ended with them settling on the lineup we'll be seeing. 

Steven won't be more than a guest, if that.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: