Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 08:41:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227878 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Anyone else hope Steven ISN'T involved?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone else hope Steven ISN'T involved?  (Read 48998 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #280 on: March 02, 2016, 03:50:49 PM »

It would be Slash doing Axl and the fans a MAJOR, MAJOR solid if he's recording for Chinese Democracy II, or whatever it's called.  However unlikely it may be, I honestly believe that's the only way we'll get a proper album from GNR again.  Axl hasn't recorded, at length anyway, since the early 00s. I just don't see him writing and recording a new album again...with any lineup.  Has to be songs he already recorded vocals for.

I share all of those opinions.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #281 on: March 02, 2016, 03:53:50 PM »

Call me crazy... id rather see the musicians behind the songs on stage. That's all.

Nothing against Frank. Guy has done solid work in concert all the times I have seen him.

What songs?
You're aware that different people were involved with different songs?

HOWEVER ... I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHY MATT SORUM WAS NOT ASKED OR CONSIDERED

Do you know this as a fact?

Could be many reasons.
For one, if you know Adler isn't going to play the full tour, or full shows, why bring in Sorum when you already have someone who knows all the material? Just to please some people who desperately want to see the Use Your Illusion tour line up? That might not even happen if Izzy isn't involved? So then what? Get Gilby (another replacement)?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #282 on: March 02, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »

I know I'm kind of in the minority on this, but this doesn't look like a reunion to me, but a continuation with Slash and Duff rejoining the band.  Maybe I'm just crazy.

I don't think so. 

But it seems that its important to you that's all seen as a straight line evolution.  Would that be fair to say?

Honestly doesn't make a difference to me how it is seen by people, I don't get involved in all that perception nonsense.  I care about the music.  I will be there April 8th and 9th and I couldn't care less how anyone else in the arena interprets how we arrived at this point when the lights go down.  I am just stating what at least to me seem to be some facts.  DJ, Ron and Tommy left, and Slash and Duff came back in.  No?

It seems to me like some fans on here and the media mostly are pretending GNR haven't played a gig since 1993 and Axl is randomly assembling this band out of nowhere and not including certain members because he just met these guys Richard, Chris and Frank last weekend.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:58:06 PM by Bodhi » Logged
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #283 on: March 02, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »

Call me crazy... id rather see the musicians behind the songs on stage. That's all.

Nothing against Frank. Guy has done solid work in concert all the times I have seen him.

What songs?
You're aware that different people were involved with different songs?

HOWEVER ... I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHY MATT SORUM WAS NOT ASKED OR CONSIDERED

Do you know this as a fact?

Could be many reasons.
For one, if you know Adler isn't going to play the full tour, or full shows, why bring in Sorum when you already have someone who knows all the material? Just to please some people who desperately want to see the Use Your Illusion tour line up? That might not even happen if Izzy isn't involved? So then what? Get Gilby (another replacement)?

/jarmo

I'm assuming he wasn't asked... can't see him saying no to this.  Smiley

He is also very close with Duff and Slash ... so he makes sense on lots of levels. They have been playing music with him for a very long time.

Again... I'm 100 percent on board with whoever is the drummer... and if Izzy doesn't want to be a part of this... Richard is the perfect guy. Just some thoughts I've had.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2016, 04:02:11 PM »

Bodhi, your facts don't make for a nice romantic alternative history of GN'R that some fans seem to believe in! Wink

He is also very close with Duff and Slash ... so he makes sense on lots of levels. They have been playing music with him for a very long time.

That's true.
But those other bands aren't GN'R...

The one real band he was in with those guys broke up...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2016, 04:08:51 PM »

It seems to me like some fans on here and the media mostly are pretending GNR haven't played a gig since 1993 and Axl is randomly assembling this band out of nowhere and not including certain members because he just met these guys Richard, Chris and Frank last weekend.

Well, yeah, there is going to be some of that.  Not so much here, but more in terms of general public perception.

Not really sure anything can be done about it either.

But who cares?  This should be the best summer for us in forever.  Worrying about how people that aren't us haven't kept tabs on the coming and going of the past 15 years shouldn't really detract from that.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2016, 08:12:21 PM »

Could be.  I'm only basing this on the recent rumors that Slash is currently recording for Guns.  Who knows what's real with the complete lack of concrete info.

If true, and like you say...who the hell knows, that's the wildest part of all of this.

Slash on as yet unreleased stuff under the GNR banner is, at least to me, even more improbable than him playing with Axl live again.

Would be one insane turn of events, and good fortune for we fans.

I disagree with this. Here is Why.

1. There is no evidence to suggest that Axl doesnt want new music released. To me.. at least... he has recorded and tried to get what he wants out there in the past. Now... for what reasons it hasnt been released, well thats up to debate... but if he had no intention of ever releasing new music.. why record anything with the old band?

Now... at a guess (and its my personal opinion only) Axl either didnt trust the previous members in guns to get the album he wanted out.. for whatever reason... maybe it didnt sound right? maybe he didnt think there was enough interest without the classic members? who knows... but its not out and we know hes worked on stuff.. so the intention is there.

The other reason i think its not that improbable is, that Slash and Duff like to work. When this first came up.. and they got talking, i dont think its unreasonable to assume that making new music together was a topic that was discussed. They are all musicians.. Slash is well known for wanting to keep getting his work out there. Axl is on record as saying he has wanted Slash's sound on new music in the past (a long way back) and duff is pretty easy going and would be up for anything presumably...

So once the issues were fixed between Axl & Slash... and deciding they COULD work together, making new music isnt that much of a stretch really.  again... thats just my personal opinion. It may or may not happen... and we arent in 1996 anymore... but if something comes out we havent heard and slash and axl is on it, i wouldnt be surprised from here.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2016, 10:26:35 PM »

The Adler zealots have totally worn me down.

At this point, I want him involved just to stop these impassioned "won't someone PLEASE think of THE CHILDREN?!" caliber pleas on his behalf.

So please : Fernando, TB, Axl...whoever.  Please include him.  Don't subject the rest of us a to a full summer of having to hear how Steven was done wrong.

I hope he's not, just so they all finally jump off whatever ledge they're standing on.  hihi

Ha! If every Adler fanboy I've seen demanding that he be involved were to jump off a ledge if he isn't it might rival the stock market crash ledge jumpers of 1929.  hihi

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #288 on: March 03, 2016, 07:16:03 AM »

1. There is no evidence to suggest that Axl doesnt want new music released. To me.. at least... he has recorded and tried to get what he wants out there in the past. Now... for what reasons it hasnt been released, well thats up to debate... but if he had no intention of ever releasing new music.. why record anything with the old band?

Now... at a guess (and its my personal opinion only) Axl either didnt trust the previous members in guns to get the album he wanted out.. for whatever reason... maybe it didnt sound right? maybe he didnt think there was enough interest without the classic members? who knows... but its not out and we know hes worked on stuff.. so the intention is there.

The other reason i think its not that improbable is, that Slash and Duff like to work. When this first came up.. and they got talking, i dont think its unreasonable to assume that making new music together was a topic that was discussed. They are all musicians.. Slash is well known for wanting to keep getting his work out there. Axl is on record as saying he has wanted Slash's sound on new music in the past (a long way back) and duff is pretty easy going and would be up for anything presumably...

So once the issues were fixed between Axl & Slash... and deciding they COULD work together, making new music isnt that much of a stretch really.  again... thats just my personal opinion. It may or may not happen... and we arent in 1996 anymore... but if something comes out we havent heard and slash and axl is on it, i wouldnt be surprised from here.
Well put.

I don't expect anything from the band, but I sure hope they release stuff again. I just don't get why people think Axl follow any particular pattern on releasing and recording stuff when he clearly showed different behavior towards that. For one thing, Chinese Democracy was a totally different situation and it will never be happen again.

I think the question of the sound he wants on an album is interesting. When Bumblefoot came in to replace some guitar tracks, Axl was more than happy to do it, but still left out plenty of Robin and Buckethead solos - I assume because he felt they were the best of all the recordings. Still, I guess he felt responsable for the new GNR sound and had a very hard time to get it up with all those guys with their own styles to be at a place where the original band was naturally. Maybe with Slash he feels comfortable enough to let him do it what he does because he is the original GNR sound, it's only natural. And maybe this whole writing/recording/mixing thing could be way faster and seamless.

Hope I made sense haha

Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #289 on: March 03, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »

You do realize that Steven Adler was the drummer when the vast majority of the the Illusions songs were written, yes?  And you do realize that Sorum learned the songs from Illusions, he didn't write any of it...yes?

But Sorum didn't lay down the drum tracks looking at sheet music of Adler's performance in the same fashion Brain did with Josh's tracks.

Surely there were demos of the Illusion songs, but most of them with a drum machine I would imagine. There were some early live performances as well, but I haven't compared those with what Sorum ended up recording on the albums. They don't have to be the same.

As far as I know, Sorum wrote all of the Illusion drum parts with the exception of Civil War and some fills which he was given input on.

That's a huge misconception.  Sorum learned the songs, according to Izzy himself.  Adler was in when most of it was written.  Yes, Adler would have been the one doing the songs an performing them YEARS before Illusions was even recorded.  Most of Illusions was written shortly after Appetite was out...some even before.  Just because he wasn't the guy recording the songs in the studio, doesn't mean he wasn't the guy who helped write it YEARS before.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:39:02 PM by Kasanova King » Logged

-KK
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #290 on: March 03, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »

You do realize that Steven Adler was the drummer when the vast majority of the the Illusions songs were written, yes?  And you do realize that Sorum learned the songs from Illusions, he didn't write any of it...yes?

But Sorum didn't lay down the drum tracks looking at sheet music of Adler's performance in the same fashion Brain did with Josh's tracks.

Surely there were demos of the Illusion songs, but most of them with a drum machine I would imagine. There were some early live performances as well, but I haven't compared those with what Sorum ended up recording on the albums. They don't have to be the same.

As far as I know, Sorum wrote all of the Illusion drum parts with the exception of Civil War and some fills which he was given input on.

That's a huge misconception.  Sorum learned the songs, according to Izzy himself.  Adler was in when most of it was written.  Yes, Adler would have been the one doing the songs an performing them YEARS before Illusions was even recorded.  Most of Illusions was written shortly after Appetite was out...some even before.  Just because he wasn't the guy recording the songs in the studio, doesn't mean he wasn't the guy who helped write it YEARS before.

You're right, there are some demos with Adler.

Back Off Bitch
Don't Cry
You Could Be Mine
Civil War
Don't Damn Me
Dust N' Bones
Garden Of Eden
Locomotive

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/misc/recordingsessions.html

Other than that, I can't see them transcribing drum parts for the rest of the songs for Sorum to play.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #291 on: March 03, 2016, 05:12:14 PM »

You're right, there are some demos with Adler.

Back Off Bitch
Don't Cry
You Could Be Mine
Civil War
Don't Damn Me
Dust N' Bones
Garden Of Eden
Locomotive

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/misc/recordingsessions.html

Other than that, I can't see them transcribing drum parts for the rest of the songs for Sorum to play.

I don't know the specifics.  My initial post was to clarify that Sorum was not responsible for writing any of the illusions material....according to Izzy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI5yVZGmDr8

Starts talking about Sorum about 50 seconds into the video.

-KK
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #292 on: March 03, 2016, 05:25:53 PM »

I don't know the specifics.  My initial post was to clarify that Sorum was not responsible for writing any of the illusions material....according to Izzy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI5yVZGmDr8

Starts talking about Sorum about 50 seconds into the video.

But writing songs isn't the same as putting your own drum parts in the song. You usually don't get writing credits for drum parts. Neither Adler or Sorum have writing credits on the Illusions.

Izzy mentions Matt's been busy learning the songs, as well as the band. I think he's talking about rehearsals for the live shows.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: