Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 10:25:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227937 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Anyone else hope Steven ISN'T involved?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone else hope Steven ISN'T involved?  (Read 49218 times)
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #220 on: February 29, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »

Why do people keep talking like this is 1987 and they are just going out to support Appetite for Destruction. This whole thing is more then just about AFD Steven has not played UYI material and certainly not Chi Dem stuff I want the guy who can play everything and that is Frank. If Axl, Slash or Duff came out and said this is just an AFD tour then i could possibly understand wanting steven but really cmon people get your head out of the ground and realize there is more to GNR then just AFD.

Exactly.  Slash and Duff are rejoining Guns N Roses, which has been an active band for the last 30 years.  They are probably going to be playing "Chinese Democracy" material as well.  I understand it being a big deal that Slash and Duff are playing in the band for the first time in 23 years so people are going to romanticize the past.  That being said, the last time Slash and Duff played in Guns Steven was long gone anyway!  It's not like he was anywhere near the band in 1993, the "Appetite" era was long gone and the band already evolved into writing more complex (and better IMO) music at that point.

Like I said, if  Steven gets a guest spot great, but its definitely not weird if he doesn't. It certainly shouldn't be some requirement that he is involved.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:14:05 PM by Bodhi » Logged
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #221 on: February 29, 2016, 12:25:31 PM »

Like I said, if  Steven gets a guest spot great, but its definitely not weird if he doesn't. It certainly shouldn't be some requirement that he is involved.

Couldn't agree more.  It's annoying as it is bizarre to see these vocal minorities clamoring for Steven's involvement as if the lack of it somehow illegitimizes the lineup. If he jumps up there for, say, Rocket Queen, great!  But these people hoping to relive some show they paid 20 bucks to see in 1988? Gimme a break. Not gonna happen.

IMO, the band has gone out of their way in the marketing to not sell this as a full on "reunion", only that Slash and Duff are "regrouping" with Axl and GNR. Anyone hoping for more are basically going out of their way to make sure they are disappointed with whatever happens.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #222 on: February 29, 2016, 12:38:48 PM »

I never knew he was confirmed to show up with Slash? Isn't that just a rumor? Who knows.

Also, you're hate for Adler is disgusting. He's just as good as Frank or Matt. Different.

I wouldn't want him back in full time either. I think he would at some point make a mistake. Who knows? Maybe he would need something like this to get back on track.

For the last 2 years or so, for all we know he is sober finally. He does pose the most risk, which isn't what Gn'R need. Frank is the drummer so relax. We are just talking about him being involved in a part time or special guest manner, which he should be.

To say he should at least appear and play something with everyone is just dumb. Why would anyone be against the guy playing like 3-4 songs at 1 show at least? I personally think he should be allowed to close the shows by playing 2-3 songs to end it. Every show or most of them. I think he deserves that in a lot of ways.

He might get 1 full show or just a couple appearances so the Adler haters can just chill it out. If this was a Chris Pitman thread dedicated mostly to bashing him we'd all be banned and scolded...

#lame

Rumor? His name was advertised on the poster for the event.

No hate for Adler here, simply a realistic attitude about all his many drug issues, his lying and the divisive and unfortunate things he has said publicly over the years.

Adler "deserves" nothing- he was fired and has done nothing but relapse and run his mouth for years- if they included him for some special guest spots it would be very gracious and benevolent of GNR members and mgmt- hope it doesn't come back to bite them.

Honestly don't think you are cognizant of all Pitman contributes, He serves a role in CD songs and he's got song writing credits, too- and he made the film clip used in promos this year-

If anyone has an irrational prejudice it is you.

#lameignorance
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:04:57 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #223 on: February 29, 2016, 05:09:05 PM »

LoL

Pitman does things. I know he does the technological stuff, plays keyboards "somtimes" and did lots of "sub bass" on CD  rofl

I respect him, but I'm glad he mouthed off and it probably out. You on the other hand are just another mouse on a wheel. You tend to ignore Steve and his contributions which are easy to forget 25+ years after he was fired.

It's easy to sit here in 2016 and say this and that. Yeah he's a screw up, but he still belongs in a get together with the guys.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #224 on: February 29, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »

LoL

Pitman does things. I know he does the technological stuff, plays keyboards "somtimes" and did lots of "sub bass" on CD  rofl

I respect him, but I'm glad he mouthed off and it probably out. You on the other hand are just another mouse on a wheel. You tend to ignore Steve and his contributions which are easy to forget 25+ years after he was fired.

It's easy to sit here in 2016 and say this and that. Yeah he's a screw up, but he still belongs in a get together with the guys.

I don't think Pitman is "probably out" at all.

I may be a "mouse on a wheel" but this mouse actually saw the AFD lineup back in the day and isn't blind nor fanboy fantasizing over Adler while ignoring the reality of the situation.

His being fired did nothing to GNRs popularity at the time, it was a story on MTV that nobody really cared about. He didn't write a thing and only has courtesy credits on songs.

I hope if GNR are gracious enough to allow him to guest that it doesn't come back to haunt them. Fingers crossed!

"Shut the fuck up."
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #225 on: February 29, 2016, 05:45:44 PM »

I think with the little evidence that we do have, its safe to say Frank is the Number 1 drummer for these shows. Anything else would be a huge surprise at this stage. So that discussion is as good as done. Adler getting any time behind the drums will probably be down to how his behaviour is leading up to the shows. My gut feeling is he we will see him do 3 or 4 AFD songs, and that will be it. This keeps his involvlement to a minimum (minimises risk), it keeps him and the die hards happy and provided he delivers a performance on those songs everyone goes home relatively happy.

If anything outside of this scenario happens (other then addler not being involved at all).. id be surprised.

I dont think there is much left to say on this topic to be honest.. other then.. lets wait and see.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #226 on: February 29, 2016, 06:07:46 PM »

I think with the little evidence that we do have, its safe to say Frank is the Number 1 drummer for these shows. Anything else would be a huge surprise at this stage. So that discussion is as good as done. Adler getting any time behind the drums will probably be down to how his behaviour is leading up to the shows. My gut feeling is he we will see him do 3 or 4 AFD songs, and that will be it. This keeps his involvlement to a minimum (minimises risk), it keeps him and the die hards happy and provided he delivers a performance on those songs everyone goes home relatively happy.

If anything outside of this scenario happens (other then addler not being involved at all).. id be surprised.

I dont think there is much left to say on this topic to be honest.. other then.. lets wait and see.

Great overview- I think you are right, good summation and conclusion, best bet is definitely to take a wait and see approach.  ok

We will know in 6-7 weeks!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:12:53 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #227 on: February 29, 2016, 07:59:28 PM »

Great overview- I think you are right, good summation and conclusion, best bet is definitely to take a wait and see approach.  ok

We will know in 6-7 weeks!

I am coming around to Frank lately.. he seems like a loyal guy, and his drumming is more than competent. I can see why Axl has trusted him for so long.

6 weeks to go...... bring it on.  beer
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #228 on: February 29, 2016, 08:45:18 PM »

"still i look to find a reason, to believe bitch."

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #229 on: February 29, 2016, 11:54:18 PM »

Says the guy with CD 2 plasted in his sig?

No one wants CD2 at this moment in time. Especially if it takes another 3 years or more. (since CDI took 10+ years)

I think original music with this lineup would be great!

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #230 on: March 01, 2016, 12:17:12 AM »

Says the guy with CD 2 plasted in his sig?

No one wants CD2 at this moment in time. Especially if it takes another 3 years or more. (since CDI took 10+ years)

I think original music with this lineup would be great!

How do you know that "no one" wants CD2, did you take a legitimate poll, or are you pretending to speak for everyone?

"Shut the fuck up."
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #231 on: March 01, 2016, 07:17:02 AM »

youre trippin man. i want it to come out, sure, but i aint bitchin about it. why would i want to darken the mood just because my own personal preferences may not be met? i'd rather just join in on the celebration.

i would say that there are people that want cd2, but im just going to get some generic "this is how it is, and thats a fact, and if you disagree you're wrong" type stuff, so, yknow.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
gunslipk
Opening Act

« Reply #232 on: March 01, 2016, 07:42:12 AM »

CD 2 being released before new fresh songs would be a perfect treat. This material can't be left behind, even though I'm afraid that's what's gonna happen.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #233 on: March 01, 2016, 03:21:49 PM »

It could always be released as an Axl Rose solo album....better to have all that material in the can than not have it.  beer

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Ringoturtle
Headliner

« Reply #234 on: March 01, 2016, 04:27:46 PM »

I'm happy about Slash and Duff being back in GNR.  I would be even happier if Steven was somehow involved.

To bash some (former) drug addict is just pitiable and says a lot about some boardmembers character.
please get a life and try to build up some self-esteem. fuckin loser.

All my statements represent MY OPINION. If not, I'll say so by posting references or the like
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #235 on: March 01, 2016, 04:45:05 PM »

Why do people keep talking like this is 1987 and they are just going out to support Appetite for Destruction. This whole thing is more then just about AFD Steven has not played UYI material and certainly not Chi Dem stuff I want the guy who can play everything and that is Frank. If Axl, Slash or Duff came out and said this is just an AFD tour then i could possibly understand wanting steven but really cmon people get your head out of the ground and realize there is more to GNR then just AFD.

You do realize that Steven Adler was the drummer when the vast majority of the the Illusions songs were written, yes?  And you do realize that Sorum learned the songs from Illusions, he didn't write any of it...yes?

So obviously, for any G N' R purist, Adler would be great to see on stage at some point with the other guys....not just because of AFD....but because he was the drummer when most of the AFD AND Illusions catalog was written.

That being said, I like Frank and how he represents most of their songs.  But if it came down to Sorum vs Adler for a few guest spots, it would be Adler all the way for me.

-KK
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2016, 05:12:40 PM »

You do realize that Steven Adler was the drummer when the vast majority of the the Illusions songs were written, yes?  And you do realize that Sorum learned the songs from Illusions, he didn't write any of it...yes?

So obviously, for any G N' R purist, Adler would be great to see on stage at some point with the other guys....not just because of AFD....but because he was the drummer when most of the AFD AND Illusions catalog was written.

That being said, I like Frank and how he represents most of their songs.  But if it came down to Sorum vs Adler for a few guest spots, it would be Adler all the way for me.

Adler played on civil war... and i think (Dont cry)... that was it. He may have been the drummer when all this stuff was written and put together.. but he had almost zero input into Illusions because he was useless in this time period. In fact, from everything that's been said, its a minor miracle he got his parts down for civil war at all... and even that was pieced together.

Look, im not an Adler basher, and im not a fan boy either... i'm somewhere in the middle.. but people who are championing for Adler really hard to get a spot are missing some fundamental points which even Axl has addressed publicly with steven. Its not as easy as just saying... yeah no worries stevie boy.. your in/ There us a myriad of issues to be sorted through, both legally and non-legally. This tour cannot afford any circus sideshows derailing it. As most people have said on here.. if he gets a few songs.. awesome... minimises the risk to the whole project... if he doesn't.. then its understandable given the situation.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #237 on: March 01, 2016, 05:25:03 PM »

But Sorum didn't lay down the drum tracks looking at sheet music of Adler's performance in the same fashion Brain did with Josh's tracks.

Surely there were demos of the Illusion songs, but most of them with a drum machine I would imagine. There were some early live performances as well, but I haven't compared those with what Sorum ended up recording on the albums. They don't have to be the same.

As far as I know, Sorum wrote all of the Illusion drum parts with the exception of Civil War and some fills which he was given input on.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #238 on: March 01, 2016, 06:03:23 PM »

I'm happy about Slash and Duff being back in GNR.  I would be even happier if Steven was somehow involved.

To bash some (former) drug addict is just pitiable and says a lot about some boardmembers character.
please get a life and try to build up some self-esteem. fuckin loser.

This is the best thing I have read in weeks. 

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »

If you had told me several years ago that Axl, Duff, and Slash would be doing shows but some people would be whining about Adler not being involved I'd think you were high.

Totally mind blowing, it wasn't this big of a whine fest when he got fired. It wasn't a big deal at all at that time and a great deal of the whiniest whiners admit they never saw him perform with the band.

I don't get it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:13:21 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: