Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:08:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227924 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Survey Reveals Geographic Illiteracy USA
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Survey Reveals Geographic Illiteracy USA  (Read 11084 times)
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« on: May 04, 2006, 05:48:49 AM »

NEW STUDY
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/0502_060502_geography.html

TAKE THE SURVEY
http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/roper2006/question_01.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 06:12:39 AM by WAT-EVER, i'm totally buggin » Logged

Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 05:53:31 AM »

shame that for the question

Which of the following ranges contains the correct population of the United States today?

Between 10 million and 50 million
Between 150 million and 350 million
Between 500 million and 750 million
Between 1 billion and 2 billion
I Don’t Know

AMERICAN KIDS HAVE THE LOWEST SCORE (25% got it rigth ... their OWN country ...) !!!

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 06:01:56 AM »

We know our public education system is a joke, we don't need Europeans mocking us because of it.  I got an idea, I'll be respectful of France's internal affairs, and you can be respectful of ours.   ok

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 06:03:17 AM »

take ?the survey really , pay attention to scores for questions 11, 12, 13,14 ... striking.

it's old, but they re-did the survey recently

http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/roper2006/answer_01.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 06:06:56 AM by WAT-EVER, i'm totally buggin » Logged

Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 06:03:38 AM »

We know our public education system is a joke, we don't need Europeans mocking us because of it.  I got an idea, I'll be respectful of France's internal affairs, and you can be respectful of ours.   ok

nah, we're stupid too Smiley
we're all stupid Smiley

Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 10:14:09 AM »

I went to private schools my whole life and got 17/20 on that test.

HOWEVER, on my first day of American Civilization my junior year, the teacher handed us a map of the US and told us to label all the states and capitals that we could.  Only one of us got all of them right-- me.  Schools don't do enough to teach kids about the world around them.  In 6th grade, by the end of the year we were supposed to be able to fill in all the countries on a map of the world after studying world history from 5000 BC to 1980.  No one could do it.  The best score was 68% (once again, mine).  Granted, the fact I won the school's geography bee in the two years they held it was enough proof that no one knows geography anymore.

Schools don't give a shit about students learning anything more than what they want to teach.  In times of students being suspended for telling a teacher about finding a flaw in the school's computer security systems, we need to expand the sphere of what learning is acceptable in schools.  Learning goes beyond what is taught.  If a student wants to learn something on their own they should be allowed to.  At the same time, they shouldn't be expected to learn things just on their own, like geography these days for example.

"Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?" --Alan Keyes

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 12:51:37 PM »

those questions were easy. I got about 3 wrong

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 01:08:58 PM »

We should be mocked...........

Your response is a good indication of why we are.

Please pass the freedom fries........... hihi
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 01:12:12 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 01:09:06 PM »

those questions were easy. I got about 3 wrong

i got 0 Smiley i think ...

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 01:24:39 PM »

I only missed the CSI one. What what that one doing there?  hihi
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 02:19:02 PM »

I only missed the CSI one. What what that one doing there?  hihi

yeah i thought it was kinda wierd, i got lucky on that one, dont even know what i picked Smiley

jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 02:39:29 PM »

did well 20/20 Smiley

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 03:00:15 PM »

SLC sure hates this country, but loves his homes and freedom. Roll Eyes

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 03:08:29 PM »

did well 20/20 Smiley

Thats what I got too. yes beer

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 06:04:26 PM »

I only missed the CSI one, soory I don't watch that much TV.  I'd love to see our younger European crowd take this test, just to see how it compares.  I'd be willing to wager it'd be the same.  The problem isn't that Americans are stupid, the problem is that very few people seek out higher education.  I'm not saying you have to goto college to be educated, but it makes access to information alot easier as well as providing you a base as to how to obtain that information.  If Americans are so stupid, they why is America the world's only superpower?  It seems kind of contradictory and illogical to claim that the stupid rule the world. Roll Eyes
Sterlingdog
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 09:06:18 PM »

I think a lot of those questions you would know if you are someone who pays attention to current events and world affairs.  You aren't going to know which country had an earthquake in 2005 because you got an A in geography in high school or college.  You'll know it if you keep up on world news though. 
SLCPUNK
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 12:14:46 AM »

SLC sure hates this country, but loves his homes and freedom. Roll Eyes

SLCPUNK doesn't like dumb people, who cry when somebody dares to say anything remotely negative about the USA. SLCPUNK also dislikes the mind numbing finger pointing at the French whenever those dumb people can't think of anything else to say. SLCPUNK also thinks that this type of behavior only reinforces the stereotype that we are a bunch of illiterate tools who don?t know our asses from a hole in the ground.

If Americans are so stupid, they why is America the world's only superpower?  It seems kind of contradictory and illogical to claim that the stupid rule the world. Roll Eyes

Please examine that statement and explain to me how it is not stupid.........
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 12:17:30 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 12:28:49 AM »

SLCPUNK doesn't like dumb people, who cry when somebody dares to say anything remotely negative about the USA.

So, I'm a dumb person who cries?  Feeling a little judgemental?

Anyway, I only ask for some level of respect.  Immature mockery isn't cool, and I won't stoop to that level to trash some other society I don't live in.  I have no problem with pointing out facts, but mockery is stupid.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
SLCPUNK
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 12:47:24 AM »

Anyway, I only ask for some level of respect.  Immature mockery isn't cool, and I won't stoop to that level to trash some other society I don't live in.  I have no problem with pointing out facts, but mockery is stupid.

He was not mocking us, that was my point.

On the contrary I found your response was embarrassing.
godiva
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 01:48:42 PM »

On the Dutch news I saw today that most Americans have no clue where Iraq or Afghanistan are. For people who can read Dutch it?s on www.rtlnieuws.nl, under ?opmerkelijk?.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 05:41:57 PM »

On the Dutch news I saw today that most Americans have no clue where Iraq or Afghanistan are. For people who can read Dutch it?s on www.rtlnieuws.nl, under ?opmerkelijk?.

I just giggle everytime someone tries to point out how dumb and uneducated Americans are.  You never see an American poster trying to post some study claiming how unaware or uninformed some Europeans are.  It's funny that these media outlets have nothing better to do than try to report on America.  It just goes to show how important America is and how big its influence and control is over the rest of the world.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 05:47:04 PM »

If Americans are so stupid, they why is America the world's only superpower?? It seems kind of contradictory and illogical to claim that the stupid rule the world. Roll Eyes

Maybe I'm missing somethign here, but it appears that the common conception from fellow board members (and I infer Europeans) is that Americans are idiots.  So in other words, a country of Idiots is the world's superpower and most influential country.  It seems foolish to me that the "smart" people would allow themselves to be coerced and threatened by people who are intellectually inferior.    In the words of ol' Ben Kenobi, "Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows the fool."
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 06:42:51 PM »

did well 20/20 Smiley

Good job, Jaz!  I got one wrong.  Hell, we didn't do bad for Americans! Wink  Roll Eyes

Why don't you just....
SLCPUNK
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 06:46:37 PM »

If Americans are so stupid, they why is America the world's only superpower?  It seems kind of contradictory and illogical to claim that the stupid rule the world. Roll Eyes

Maybe I'm missing somethign here...

You are.........

funny how you always get the American posters thinking that just because their government has influence, they think that they themselves have more influence...all that brings is delusional arrogance...all you are is a very unimportant small cog unattached to the big machine

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 06:54:23 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 06:50:08 PM »

I just giggle everytime someone tries to point out how dumb and uneducated Americans are.  You never see an American poster trying to post some study claiming how unaware or uninformed some Europeans are.  It's funny that these media outlets have nothing better to do than try to report on America.  It just goes to show how important America is and how big its influence and control is over the rest of the world.

maybe because Europeans answered more questions correct than Americans

and there is a difference between "important" and "oversaturation"

funny how you always get the American posters thinking that just because their government has influence, they think that they themselves have more influence...all that brings is delusional arrogance...all you are is a very unimportant small cog unattached to the big machine

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 06:56:07 PM »

You are.........

You have to explain it so people can understand.......

If Americans are so stupid, they why is America the world's only superpower? It seems kind of contradictory and illogical to claim that the stupid rule the world. Roll Eyes

That mentality is about the equivalent of "O'Doyle Rules!!!!" from Billy Madison

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
SLCPUNK
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 06:58:19 PM »

You are.........

You have to explain it so people can understand.......

It was just too much for me to bring myself to the keyboard to do it.............Although Q nailed it for me.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 07:01:10 PM »

So in other words, a country of Idiots is the world's superpower and most influential country.  It seems foolish to me that the "smart" people would allow themselves to be coerced and threatened by people who are intellectually inferior.    In the words of ol' Ben Kenobi, "Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows the fool."

so what youre saying is America is coercing and threatening other countries?

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 07:02:30 PM »

^ I cant wait for the answer to that one hihi

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 07:03:33 PM »

so Americans are dumb if they dont know where the original CSI takes place?

I never watch that show.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2006, 07:05:14 PM »

That was a stupid question for that test. Not sure what the point was. I'm glad I missed that one. The other 12 not so much

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
SLCPUNK
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2006, 07:13:41 PM »

That was a stupid question for that test. Not sure what the point was. I'm glad I missed that one. The other 12 not so much

I think the point was that more people would know about the TV show then about more important facts. Which is probably true.
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2006, 07:15:32 PM »

They should have asked what city Jerry Springer films his show in, if thats their intent

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2006, 08:16:02 PM »

So in other words, a country of Idiots is the world's superpower and most influential country.? It seems foolish to me that the "smart" people would allow themselves to be coerced and threatened by people who are intellectually inferior.? ? In the words of ol' Ben Kenobi, "Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows the fool."

Well yea.  Ever hear of economic sanctions?  How about peace keeping missions?  America uses its economy and military to secure its well being in the world.  I have no problem with this and even support it.  Thus why I'll be a commissioned officer in 2 months in the Army.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2006, 08:18:15 PM »

I just giggle everytime someone tries to point out how dumb and uneducated Americans are.? You never see an American poster trying to post some study claiming how unaware or uninformed some Europeans are.? It's funny that these media outlets have nothing better to do than try to report on America.? It just goes to show how important America is and how big its influence and control is over the rest of the world.

maybe because Europeans answered more questions correct than Americans

And where did you come to that conclusion?
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2006, 08:40:51 PM »

So in other words, a country of Idiots is the world's superpower and most influential country.  It seems foolish to me that the "smart" people would allow themselves to be coerced and threatened by people who are intellectually inferior.    In the words of ol' Ben Kenobi, "Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows the fool."

Well yea.  Ever hear of economic sanctions?  How about peace keeping missions?  America uses its economy and military to secure its well being in the world.  I have no problem with this and even support it.  Thus why I'll be a commissioned officer in 2 months in the Army.

secures its well being, yes, to the detriment of other countries yes...

well its good for you to have such a well defined job...frees you from the morality of your orders

(Winston Churchill)"
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2006, 08:51:44 PM »

And where did you come to that conclusion?

previous surveys that involved other countries and their comparison...america was bottom of the list on one of them and on another they were near the bottom...the last 2 i remember

(Winston Churchill)"
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2006, 09:41:19 PM »

That test was easy
only questions I missed were the CSI one and I missed where one of those counties were located, the SRI something?? i had no idea

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jagged Little Pill
Cheap Heartbreaker
VIP

You were born an original. Don't die a copy

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2006, 04:16:03 AM »

lol no one knows the csi one? i must be the only one...not somethin to be proud of though...lol sri lanka D..i only knew that one cuz i know someone whos parents are from there...but i got about 3 wrong.

Never be bullied into silence.  Never allow yourself to be made a victim.  Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2006, 12:25:03 AM »

It is worse than you can imagine. I read a survey in US News and World Report that asked high schoold seniors in Los Angeles to find the US on blank map of the world, and one-half  could not! Think about  it: find the country in which you live! And one-half could  not. [Of  course, that  half  was from Mexico so they were  confused, but still, you would think they could find the country to which they migrated. This part is a  joke, the  rest is factual.] 
JennaSide
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2006, 01:02:28 AM »

I missed a few (including the CSI one hihi )  but I try to keep up-to-date with world news and I had a good enducation growing up. I went to private schools. Although, I'll admit I'm not too great with geography...  Embarrassed
In any case, it's the education system that's failing kids, but some of that is also our society's laziness. They'd rather play video games than watch the news. They'd rather read Cosmo than the newspaper. It's a selfish ignorance that people have - thinking they are the center of the universe and nothing else matters.

I'm the luckiest girl alive.
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2006, 01:12:46 AM »

It's a selfish ignorance that people have - thinking they are the center of the universe and nothing else matters.

Nah.

It's more like most people don't give two shits.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2006, 01:24:08 AM »

It's a selfish ignorance that people have - thinking they are the center of the universe and nothing else matters.

Nah.

selfish ignorance = don't give two shits ?

or

don't give two shits = selfish ignorance ?

Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2006, 01:31:56 AM »

Nah.

selfish ignorance = don't give two shits ?

or

don't give two shits = selfish ignorance ?

don't give two shits = selfish ignorance

Even though I don't think it has any thing to do with selfish ignorance.Cause selfish ignorancewould be it doesn't have anything to do with you.Were just not giving two shits means you just don't care.

Hell I'm buzzed and don't really know what the hell i'm talking about. beer

SLCPUNK
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2006, 01:32:50 AM »

Hell I'm buzzed and don't really know what the hell i'm talking about. beer

If it makes you feel any better, I am not buzzed and just as confused............
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2006, 05:35:34 AM »

im sure they werent forced to answer the questions...would people that dont care take the test?

(Winston Churchill)"
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: