Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 08:24:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227976 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  What Weiland Brings To Velvet Revolver...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Weiland Brings To Velvet Revolver...  (Read 31580 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2007, 08:58:31 PM »

Jim Morrison, Ian, Scott, all come from the same tree.  Scott can probably "sing" better than say an Axl Rose or Robert Plant in the sense the has phenomenal control of his voice.  Like singing church choir music or something.  However, its those high to low notes like Plant, Rose, and Cornell pull off that make them who they are.  He is limited in his range, but when he gets in his zone, like on Psycho Killer or The Last Fight, he is pretty damn good. 

The Van Halen Tribute was a mockery.  But, that being said, his range was much better than a DLR.  He could have song that song well, but he chose to be weird.  Whatever. 

I never got how Plush sounded so much like Eddie Vedder.  Whatever.  I think Scott Stapp imitated Scott Weiland.  Scott was also big in making singers of the 90's have the errrr voice in all thier songs.  As was Axl. 
madagas
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2007, 09:22:33 PM »

Falcon, I do acknowledge Weiland has his moments and has hung in there when others did not.....Staley and Cobain for example. Undecided As I said though, something about him has always rubbed me the wrong way.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2007, 09:28:15 PM »

As I said though, something about him has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Even back to the STP days?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
madagas
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2007, 07:40:47 AM »

yes. Although a few of the STP songs are undeniably good, again, overall, I just don't see the "natural" passion in him. I see someone who tries very hard to be a rock star and fill all the cliches of being a rock star. He seems to force things. His lyrics tend to try to be too clever and artsy and end up being shallow. His singing lacks fire and passion. His stage moves all seem well choreographed and morphed from some weird Mick Jagger/Iggy Pop/David Bowie wannabe clone.

I can see why people like him because he has just enough talent and chutzpah to lure people in. I just am not one of them.  Undecided  ps this is not a cut down to his fans and is obviously only my opinion. He is a succesful artist and I commend him for that.
kingcanute
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2007, 07:58:18 AM »

What Weiland lacks in range, he more than makes up for in diversity of styles.? Few singers in the past 20 years have managed to sound totally different from song to song, and album to album better than Scott.? Dead and Bloated to Atlanta, Big Bang Baby to Sour Girl, Glide to Don't Drop that Dime...the man does so much more with the range he has than singers who are technically more rangy.

exactly that hits the nail on the head right there

Definitely. Just listen to 12 bar blues and you get an idea of where he is coming from and the diversity of styles that he wants to explore/approach and seems to master.

Does this fit in with Velvet Revolver? Depends what the band wants to do. Many Slash and Duff fans would want a more straightforward rock n roll singer with a raspy voice etc., which would limit the band in one way, whereas they now have Scott who, due to among other things his range, cannot do Axl-style songs - which will limit the band in another way.

Also, I suspect that he is the most open minded member when it comes to exploring new territories (don't tell me the hidden track on Libertad was Slash's idea, although it's a bit Stonesy).
This undoubtedly affects the band's choices of direction, which may sometimes be successful, sometimes not. And this is what some fans maybe are a bit uncomfortable with, as they initially saw VR as a monster super hard rock band, but then Libertad came out with signs that this is maybe too boring for the band hence not what they are planning to do in the future (if there is any).
Juanjay
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2007, 03:09:41 PM »

What Weiland lacks in range, he more than makes up for in diversity of styles.  Few singers in the past 20 years have managed to sound totally different from song to song, and album to album better than Scott.  Dead and Bloated to Atlanta, Big Bang Baby to Sour Girl, Glide to Don't Drop that Dime...the man does so much more with the range he has than singers who are technically more rangy.

exactly that hits the nail on the head right there

Definitely. Just listen to 12 bar blues and you get an idea of where he is coming from and the diversity of styles that he wants to explore/approach and seems to master.

Does this fit in with Velvet Revolver? Depends what the band wants to do. Many Slash and Duff fans would want a more straightforward rock n roll singer with a raspy voice etc., which would limit the band in one way, whereas they now have Scott who, due to among other things his range, cannot do Axl-style songs - which will limit the band in another way.

Also, I suspect that he is the most open minded member when it comes to exploring new territories (don't tell me the hidden track on Libertad was Slash's idea, although it's a bit Stonesy).
This undoubtedly affects the band's choices of direction, which may sometimes be successful, sometimes not. And this is what some fans maybe are a bit uncomfortable with, as they initially saw VR as a monster super hard rock band, but then Libertad came out with signs that this is maybe too boring for the band hence not what they are planning to do in the future (if there is any).

I agree the solo album shows all kinds of things with his voice. "Divider" is one of my favorites of all time.
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2007, 06:55:24 PM »

I'll say this; the guy has a great talent for mimicry.  That's not a slam.  Whether he's singing early nineties style, Bowie or a redneck country singer.  He can change styles very well, and yes he has nice, catchy melodies.  Beyond that.....I don't like him, never have. 

He's beyond pretentious, that's reason enough to hate him.  I think he knows what he would aspire to be, but simply doesn't have the qualities of the people he admires, so he stretches on every level.  Simply put, he tries too hard.  His stage show is too over-the-top, you can almost see him thinking; "must... be... whirling... dervish".  His lyrics suck.  And this crusty, pissed off persona he portrays to the press is weak. 
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2007, 02:59:09 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ7unxbCHVQ&mode=related&search=
From that performance, Scott can be quite versatile.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
nesto111
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2007, 09:10:40 AM »

Id love to see the huys jam with Ginger frm the Wildhearts, just think it could be an interesting combination
rds.06
Jackie!!!
Rocker

"I'm Melting"

« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2007, 12:38:27 PM »

Nothing from what I can see, judging by the last record......... Cry

"to live with fortune and fame"
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2007, 04:09:03 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUimElsi8Ag
I love that video, enjoy the trip

If the world would end today... Wink
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2007, 12:14:31 PM »

I actually heard Weiland sing the other day - his vocal range is very limited. He's got some good tone.

I've never got the "limited range" angle, he's never had a high end screech but seems to hit every note he's ever needed to hit.

Agree on the tone, not as rich as a few of his peers although good for the most part.

So you're saying just because he can't hit certain notes, he doesn't have a limited range?

What exactly is a limited range then?

/jarmo

I've been training my voice for about 18 years now. I took me about 10 years to fully master my instrument. As my voice developed I was able to access more notes and I finally found my lower register about 10 years ago. When I do the practice and the voice exercises my range spans about 2 1/2 octaves.

I think Scott sings within an octave, that's 8 notes to an octave. When I heard him sing the other week I thought he moved between 5 notes only and there was a downward slide on one of the notes. Of course, I understand that you can only work with the chest and vocal chords that god gave you.........I also can hear that Scott sings right on the note - maybe that's the effect he wanted. Some singers are able to sing the note but also add some colour or shade to that note.

However, as a singer one likes to make the notes "sing" (for want of a better word)! The voice is an instrument and a singer with a trained voice would have more range.? With more training Scott may be able to span more octaves........

But then again, I was clasically trained, so I started singing opera.......That's why it took me so long to find my lower register. For some people, if you have a trained rock voice you can only sing rock or if you have a trained Jazz voice you can only sing jazz. Those who have trained clasically are taught to use the voice as an instument.

Hope that helps shed some light on "range".

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 05:54:31 AM by stolat » Logged

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2007, 01:32:02 PM »

I agree with many posts that Scott brings many different styles in which to sing.  I've made the Bowie reference before and he can cover bands quite well, and hold his own stuff too.  He does have some an odd poetic lyrical arsenal at times but I guess many do.  He does bring a small megaphone like someone posted earlier and he can wear a boa with the best of them; Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, David Bowie.  He is kind of creepy with the whole leather gear circa Erwin Rommel.  I think Axl pulled the hat off better 20 years ago.  He was great for STP and will be for VR.  He is talented.  I hope he stays clean and does well because he is his own worst enemy.  I hope for the bands sake that a power struggle isn't going on between Scott and Slash, because that would end it.  That is also just rumor though.

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2007, 01:42:14 PM »

I actually heard Weiland sing the other day - his vocal range is very limited. He's got some good tone.

I've never got the "limited range" angle, he's never had a high end screech but seems to hit every note he's ever needed to hit.

Agree on the tone, not as rich as a few of his peers although good for the most part.

So you're saying just because he can't hit certain notes, he doesn't have a limited range?

What exactly is a limited range then?

/jarmo

I've been training my voice for about 18 years now. I took me about 10 years to fully master my instrument. As my voice developed I was able to access more notes and I finally found my lower register about 10 years ago. When I do the practice and the voice exercises my range spans about 2 1/2 octaves.

I think Scott sings within an octave, that's 8 notes to an octave. When I heard him sing the other week I thought he moved between 5 notes only and there was a downward slide on one of the notes. Of course, I understand that you can only work with the chest and vocal chords that god gave you.........

However, as a singer one likes to make the notes "sing" (for want of a better word)! The voice is an instrument and a singer with a trained voice would have more range.? With more training Scott may be able to span more octaves........

But then again, I was clasically trained, so I started singing opera.......That's why it took me so long to find my lower register. For some people, if you have a trained rock voice you can only sing rock or if you have a trained Jazz voice you can only sing jazz. Those who have trained clasically are taught to use the voice as an instument.

Hope that helps shed some light on "range".

I've been training my voice off and on for the last 15 years, and what I've learned is that as you grow older and change physically, your voice can change to, so can you really ever completely master your instrument? ?I don't believe so. ?I also believe that there are always things you can work on and improve on.

Ultimately, it's not how much range you have that defines whether or not your voice has an impact, it's how you use it. ?I think Scott uses what range he has well.

Ali
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2007, 01:48:02 PM »

Yes, as you grow older your voice does change and so does your understanding of how to access different notes.

I also do believe that confidence also grows as you get older too - I'm pretty confident, that's why I say that I have mastered my instrument. Singing now is pretty effortless.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: