Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:26:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slither has NO chorus
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slither has NO chorus  (Read 15123 times)
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2004, 08:02:35 AM »

I think the lyrics of Be The Ball are funny. The paralel between pinball and life...Amazing.   Grin Anyway, it's not bad at all, however not a GN'R lyrics.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
luciano
Banned
Rocker

Axl-Izzy-Slash-Duff-Steven!

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2004, 11:54:49 AM »

Dizzy,
"Estranged" and "Coma" both don?t have chorus and they are both GREAT ok. The PROBLEM is that everyone in VR thinks that Slither has a chorus (the part "Here comes the water") but that part is so boring that is doesn?t deserve to be repeated as a chorus and it can not be considered a proper chorus. So it?s like chorus was non-existent on the song, and there could be one, believe me, right after that part!

Kockstar99,
The ones Izzy wrote will NOT be the best ones because they will NOT be on the album  no (Slash said that in a recent interview)

oldleadbelly,
When I say "no chorus" I mean the chorus is so WEAK that it doesn?t even look like one. And if the guys in the band had tried just a little bit harder Grin  they could CREATE a proper chorus right after that part they consider the chorus.

And when you say that "if Izzy and Duff were singing, VR wouldn't be taken nearly as seriously as they are now", really man, I think this should not be important - to be taken seriously. The important thing is to have great music. Izzy, Slash, Duff & Matt could record ten albums by themselves and tour EASILY wherever and whenever they wanted, and I am sure there would be lots of recording companies trying to hook up with them.

Falcon,
When you said "Weiland gets them into places they couldn't even sniff with Izzy or Duff fronting the band (IE KROQ and other Modern Rock heavyweights)", would it really bother you if they were NOT on KROQ and had Izzy & Duff singing?

Back on topic... I give a fuck.  I wish the songs was better (had a better structure) and I couldn?t care less if it WAS NOT getting played all over the place. Appetite had to be around for a year until it got airplay. And it gets airplay up till today, because it is great. I don?t think Slither will be playing on radio too much in the future...

Bitching about structure is bitching about what needs to be bitched about.

Booker Floyd,
I am telling you that the part of the song you've liked all this time is not actually A chorus, because it sucks so bad to be one, it sound more like a bridge, and there could/should be a GREAT chorus right after it.

PeterCoffin,
Slither is totally standard music: intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus.

tomass74,
I have a hobby already. Discuss GNR related stuff here, that is.

metallex78,
Try Sweet Caress to see how good Izzy solo is. Oh, there ain?t much solo stuff from him that is on par with GN'R material he wrote because it was Axl & Slash & Duff & Steven that made Izzy material MORE than special on GN'R.

SLCPUNK
I'm just glad to have a song too! But I can?t help think how Slash & Duff & Matt were stupid to throw away Izzy?s call. Because they can not even make a decent chorus on their first single.

madagas,
I agree that radio airplay and format don't mean shit. Good music means a lot. What I am pissed about is that this song has a totally standard comercial format intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus but the chorus is so bad that it doesn?t even look like a chorus!

mrfarr,
BELIEVE ME I know there is no law into how to write a song. BELIEVE ME I KNOW it's not just verse - chorus - verse chorus - solo. But Slither is just verse - chorus - verse - chorus - solo. The thing wich I am trying to say is that the chorus sucks.

Oh, just for the record, I, alone, can NOT do better. But if I was the producer of VR I?d push them to WAY better stuff, no doubt about that.

blues_rock_axeman,
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU THAT No chorus=no issue. The problem is that the band thinks that the part "Here comes the water" IS the chorus, since it?s repeated several times on the song.

Kockstar99,
songwriting is where they fall short and Izzy does not...

mrfarr,
I love instrumental songs. The Blues Jam on Pasadena 87 is a must-listen on all the instrumental jams GNR has played. The Indiana 91 instrumental jam is great too. Just as much as the extended-intro and extended-final of DTJ on 1991-93 gigs.
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2004, 12:04:12 PM »

You make me laugh  Grin
When I heard Slither for the first time (El Rey version) I thought it's the best chorus in about 10 years, so don't tell me that it sucks  Grin
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2004, 12:08:47 PM »

luciano,
OK, point taken.  I disagree, but at least i know what you meant by no chorus.  I was a little worried about your ability to define song structure there for a sec Grin.  It's completely understandable if you dont like it though.
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2004, 12:20:14 PM »

Slither is a great song! I agree with alot of you in that it definately grows on you the more you listen to it.  I was the same way with some songs on the UYI albums.  IMO, SLither blows away any of the stuff we have heard from nuGNR.  But that is just my opinion.  I can't wait for Contraband to hit the stores. I have a feeling that we are in for a real treat finally.

VR simply rules!!

-TyRod-
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2004, 12:36:39 PM »

Falcon,
When you said "Weiland gets them into places they couldn't even sniff with Izzy or Duff fronting the band (IE KROQ and other Modern Rock heavyweights)", would it really bother you if they were NOT on KROQ and had Izzy & Duff singing?

Back on topic... I give a fuck.  I wish the songs was better (had a better structure) and I couldn?t care less if it WAS NOT getting played all over the place. Appetite had to be around for a year until it got airplay. And it gets airplay up till today, because it is great. I don?t think Slither will be playing on radio too much in the future...

Bitching about structure is bitching about what needs to be bitched about.

Booker Floyd,
I am telling you that the part of the song you've liked all this time is not actually A chorus, because it sucks so bad to be one, it sound more like a bridge, and there could/should be a GREAT chorus right after it.

I don't know if it would "bother" me if they weren't getting run on
modern rock radio, however, it pleases me that they are though.
And yes, it would bother me if Izzy or Duff were singing.  Nothing against Izzy, but I can always get the enjoyment of his vocals on his solo records.  As for Duff, my ears bleed at the mere thought of it.

As far as Slither having any staying power, who knows?  I never compared it to anything AFD anyway..

As for the "Bitching about structure is bitching about what needs to be bitched about" comment, didn't you just shoot yourself in the foot on that one in your response to Booker?  Your reasoning
it's not a chorus being "because it sucks so bad to be one"...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2004, 03:14:17 PM »

ok i stand corrected... maybe it will be a decent album then... not like the Snakeshit

I thought all the songs were written prior to finding a lead singer.. thats why i dreaded hearing any lyrics written by Slash or Duff or Matt...

STP had some good tunes....

nope, they only wrote the instrumental parts before Scott joined, I don't think they wrote all of them before, but most of it I guess.
I doubt they wrote lyrics for the songs they jammed out with Izzy either. from what Ive heard, it just sounded like they played together, making instrumental parts. but who knows, Izzy might have lyrics ready for the songs now, after all, it might end up on his next solo album! yes

on topic, OH DEAR GOD...it doesn't have a chorus??? nervous DAMN! it can't possibly be any good then, even though I like it..is it me there's something wrong with?? nervous

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2004, 06:44:34 PM »

As for the "Bitching about structure is bitching about what needs to be bitched about" comment, didn't you just shoot yourself in the foot on that one in your response to Booker?  Your reasoning
it's not a chorus being "because it sucks so bad to be one"...

Thank you for saving me the time and effort, Falcon.

"I am telling you that the part of the song you've liked all this time is not actually A chorus, because it sucks so bad to be one"

Haha, what the fuck?  confused
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: