Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:20:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  I appreciate GNR even more...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: I appreciate GNR even more...  (Read 7651 times)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« on: May 27, 2004, 06:12:55 PM »

After going to the VR show in NYC and listening to their studio tracks I have come to love Axl and the new band even more. Dont get me wrong, some of the VR tracks are very good and the show was excellent but it just isnt magical or great. ANd I dont mean that in a negative way. VR rocks and they have a lot going for them right now...but its only so much they can offer ya know....

Axl writes such beautiful lyrics and the way he is on stage is amazing. After absorbing all of Vr these past few days I have realized how lucky I am in discovering such a unique talent.

Gnr still has to prove everyone wrong and put out a masterpiece type album. I understand that. They still have to prove to everyone they arent a joke. ANd hopefully they will. They certaintly got a talented band and more importantely they have one the greates frontmen that has ever graced the stage. Theres something about Axl and this band that makes it so magical. ANd for that I am excited and grateful......cant wait till the bell rings for gnr....its gonna be fun

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
MIIKA
Headliner

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 06:27:54 PM »

I totally agree with you. To be honest, i think VR is kind of boring. Nothing special really  Embarrassed
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 06:35:20 PM »

Not to diss VR, because they are a good rock band, but that's exactly it: all they are is a good rock band. They lack the magic touch, besides Slash's solos, there is absolutely nothing to differentiate them from, say, Creed or Fuel.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 06:39:27 PM »

I totally agree with you. To be honest, i think VR is kind of boring. Nothing special really  Embarrassed

yeah because playing apetite's songs live again and again 15 years after IS special.
we'll talk when AXL will do half of what VR has done.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 06:53:14 PM »

yeah because playing apetite's songs live again and again 15 years after IS special.
we'll talk when AXL will do half of what VR has done.

Seems like it's special to some people since they paid money to see the show. Weren't you one of them?  Grin

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
privatereserve
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 07:51:04 PM »

I agree.  If anyone hasn't seen the new gnr don't know what they are talking about.  They should have no opinions on the posts if the new gnr sucks or not.  Because they have know clue how good this new band is until they have seen them live.  Yes I've seen the new gnr 4 times.  Velvet Revolvers ok, but just that and they won't make a dent in the music industry like Axl will with the new band.  I would rather wait for a masterpiece, than a medicore album like Velvet Revolver.   smoking
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 08:53:37 PM »

Im not even trying to amke a vr vs gnr thread. Im mostly discussing like how special Axl is. Once you see both bands you will understand what I mean. Axl just lifts any band into another universe. Idk its really hard to explain

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 08:59:49 PM »

Maybe Nu-GNR with Bucket was special, and they were fantastic when I saw them in Cleveland.....but he's gone now. Even if they keep his parts on the album.. no other guitarist will be able to play half of them I bet as he plays with such speed and precision. Finck can barely play Slash's stuff.....I doubt all of the sudden he will suddenly have an epiphany that allows him to start shredding and playing a cleaner guitar. That to me was the big dissapointment with Bucket leaving is that they have all this material that will sound awesome on the CD, but they won't be able to properly replicate the songs live as they won't have a guitarist capable of playing his stuff.

If anything, seeing VR re-emerge makes me appreciate the magic the old band even more. Having seen Axl live and just how down right cool Slash and Duff are now, It just makes me realize how they were all so perfect for eachother....and that none of them will ever be able to surpass or create the same magic they had as a unit. I never realized how special they really are until now. They will all go on to have future successes(assuming Axl comes out to play), but I just don't ever see either band ever being what GNR once was.  
SlashFan
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 10:00:43 PM »

This thread is stupid.All of you people that like to bash GN'R or VR are just trying to get people hating each other over who is better than who.I like both bands and I won't say anything bad about either one.

Atleast VR has a record out and are playing live and I hope that GN'R will be doing the same soon,that would be so cool. peace
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 10:58:20 PM »

and that none of them will ever be able to surpass or create the same magic they had as a unit.
You have a valid point and it might very well turn out ot be true...but we have one more members work before we close the book on that theory. so once gnr release thier stuff then you can say what you said...or maybe it wont be tru...

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 11:19:38 PM »

Younggunner.....while the music Axl may could potentially be on par with music he has made in the past, GNR will never rule the world the way in which they once did. The atmosphere is just too different...Hip hop rules the world now as well as Clear Channel. GNR will never be on TRL or Kiss FM. They just don't fit the format. The same goes for VR. They could right the second coming of Appetite and there will never be stadium tours or 24/7 GNR/VR simply because this is such a different musical atmosphere than it was from 87-93. I hope Im wrong as I would love to see GNR/VR rule the world, but the cards are stacked heavily against Rock N' Roll being so main stream. That, and if a song like November Rain was released today, it would never make it to radio as they don't put songs of that length in heavy rotation. I don't like the way radio is run now, but the rules have just changed so much.
SlashFan
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 11:28:45 PM »

Younggunner.....while the music Axl may could potentially be on par with music he has made in the past, GNR will never rule the world the way in which they once did. The atmosphere is just too different...Hip hop rules the world now as well as Clear Channel. GNR will never be on TRL or Kiss FM. They just don't fit the format. The same goes for VR. They could right the second coming of Appetite and there will never be stadium tours or 24/7 GNR/VR simply because this is such a different musical atmosphere than it was from 87-93. I hope Im wrong as I would love to see GNR/VR rule the world, but the cards are stacked heavily against Rock N' Roll being so main stream. That, and if a song like November Rain was released today, it would never make it to radio as they don't put songs of that length in heavy rotation. I don't like the way radio is run now, but the rules have just changed so much.

Here the radio stations still play November Rain,not that it has anything to do with what you said tho. smoking
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 11:45:35 PM »

I still here it once in a while, but I doubt we will ever see a situation in which a 9 minute epic would ever get played every hour the way Jay-Z and Lincoln Park do, regardless of how good a song is. I think its a damn shame, but it is factors like that wren't around when GNR initially rose to prominence I argue will keep them or any band for that matter from reaching the heights they once had.
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2004, 12:48:27 AM »

haha, you guys are dumbasses!  If November Rain was released a new song today, of course it would get played 24/7.  Songs that good do get recognized, bottomline.  GNR was so fucking good, that yes, if they came out in 2004 instead of 1987, they would still be huge.  Definitly.  
badapple81
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2004, 01:25:18 AM »

haha, you guys are dumbasses!  If November Rain was released a new song today, of course it would get played 24/7.  Songs that good do get recognized, bottomline.  GNR was so fucking good, that yes, if they came out in 2004 instead of 1987, they would still be huge.  Definitly.  

DRUNK, perhaps cocaine would help them think more clearly?  hihi
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2004, 09:36:29 AM »

Maybe Nu-GNR with Bucket was special, and they were fantastic when I saw them in Cleveland.....but he's gone now. Even if they keep his parts on the album.. no other guitarist will be able to play half of them I bet as he plays with such speed and precision. Finck can barely play Slash's stuff.....I doubt all of the sudden he will suddenly have an epiphany that allows him to start shredding and playing a cleaner guitar. That to me was the big dissapointment with Bucket leaving is that they have all this material that will sound awesome on the CD, but they won't be able to properly replicate the songs live as they won't have a guitarist capable of playing his stuff.

If anything, seeing VR re-emerge makes me appreciate the magic the old band even more. Having seen Axl live and just how down right cool Slash and Duff are now, It just makes me realize how they were all so perfect for eachother....and that none of them will ever be able to surpass or create the same magic they had as a unit. I never realized how special they really are until now. They will all go on to have future successes(assuming Axl comes out to play), but I just don't ever see either band ever being what GNR once was.  

I used the feel the same way about Slash, that he was the best in the world and guys like Kirk Hammet, Marty Friedman and Zakk Wylde couldn't come close to him! But then I grew up, years had passed and my guitar knowledge got better and I realised that there are thousands of guitar players that can play like Slash or even better. Buckethead plays Slash's parts cause he could and others can also. I'm sure Axl has alot of talented guitarists applying for the position.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 09:40:18 AM by volcano62 » Logged

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 10:43:16 AM »

GNR was so fucking good, that yes, if they came out in 2004 instead of 1987, they would still be huge.  Definitly.  

I disagree. People would probably look at them as wannabes who tried to do the whole 'recapturing an era' thing, and they'd probably get slammed like The Darkness.

And the press sure wouldn't be happy with delays in concerts or album releases or whatever...they'd get savaged.

GN'R were so effective because they were the antithesis (nearly) of their own scene...a time period and a set of bands that have now long gone...the only bands that come out of LA now are pop morons like Maroon 5...

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2004, 03:16:45 PM »

I agree with younggunner!!

'Slither' is an awesome song with a great solo. The song is cool and I do think that VR will do good. But there is something more with the New Guns N' Roses songs. When I listen to 'The Blues,' 'Madagascar,' 'Chinese Democracy,' 'Oh My God,' and even 'Riyadh And The Bedouins,' its something special. Its really magical when I listen to those songs and they have so much energy, and so much emotion in them. It's hard to describe, but there is something more with the New GN'R songs than the VR songs.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 03:18:23 PM by ChineseBedouins » Logged
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2004, 03:23:53 PM »

The Blues and Maddy are very very good songs but quite frankly I see nothing special in CD, Rhiad or Silk Worms. I think VR stuff blow them away. But hey its a matter of taste anyway. You could only wish they where still together and we got The Blues and Fall to Pieces in the same CD Wink
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2004, 04:10:48 PM »

If there's enough airspace for crap like Linkin Park,Good Charlote or Blink 182, we'll see and hear VR and GNR on TV and radio.

VR is a great rock band,but clearly they need Axl more than Axl needs them. I love ther attitude,though!! I've missed that bad-ass I don't give a fuck attitude.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: