Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 08:54:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Will the Greatest Hits outsell Contraband -VR's opening week?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will the Greatest Hits outsell Contraband -VR's opening week?  (Read 10487 times)
5thofwhiskey
Rocker

Estranged............The Guns n' Roses Story

« on: June 09, 2004, 08:33:12 AM »

GH's moved up to #14 on the USA Billboards with 44K units sold. This album has to be pushing 1million units on soundscan by now. Would not be suprised if RIAA ships out another million units by the end of June and then certify it double platinum.

I think VR is going to have to debut in the top 20 to outsell the GH. I bought it yesterday at the record store. It was funny to talk to the girl at the register. She said when it came in that nobody knew who the hell this was. They sent in as many copies as Avril's CD. It was like a big band, but nobody knew who it was. I told her about the GN'R members and she said "o' cool". It is going to be interesting how this does.

-5th
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 08:35:23 AM by 5thofwhiskey » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 08:46:30 AM »

"According to Hits Daily Double, early midday (Tuesday) reports from retail have VELVET REVOLVER's "Contraband" exceeding expectations and debuting at No. 1 on next week's The Billboard 200 chart. Reorders from the majors have reportedly been pouring in all day, with the album slated to easily top 200,000 copies."

I think its safe to say itll debut in the top 20...
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 09:03:47 AM »

I thought we should not be comparing VR and Gnr on either board?

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 09:07:58 AM »

It will definitely be in the top 20 but I don't know about the # 1 spot. I'm kinda familiar with what 5th posted because every time I have called my record store regarding VR's released date, I have had the same reaction than the girl at the register 5th was talking about. No fucking clue who VR was. Living in Spain I thought I don't expect people to know who VR is - hence I never rely VR success expectations based on my compatriots knowledge, but it really does surprise me that an employee of a record store in the US doesnt know who VR is.

We'll see how it turns out. Just for the hell of it, I'll say VR will finish the week at #2.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 09:09:56 AM by Chinasky » Logged
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 09:08:35 AM »

I don't give a fuck if we compare the two as long as it doesn't go to bashing either one, or other members.

And yeah, I think there's a pretty good chance that VR will not be outsold by GH..

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Death Cube K
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 09:52:20 AM »

If Contraband outsells GH I'll eat my boxers with mustard on
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 09:55:22 AM »

You do realise they only mean this week? Be careful with those boxer shorts, it will probably outsell it this week, but not overall.

@#$%Muther
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 10:18:04 AM »

I don't know.  Not everyone knows the name Velvet Revolver but EVERYONE knows who Gun's N' Roses is.  I would say greatest hits sells more.

bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 10:21:29 AM »

I'm sure,velvet revolver album won't sell more than 20k copies in first week.
who can compare guns n roses "greatest hits" and Velvet Revolver "Contraband"
contrband will buy only huge and hardcore gnr and stp fans.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 10:22:21 AM by rale » Logged
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 10:38:01 AM »

I think it will outsell the GH but either way, Slash/Duff are in for a good week because they're making money on both beer.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 10:41:54 AM »

Are they?  I thought Axl owned the name.  Am I wrong?  And I thought GH was released 'cause G'n'R owed Geffen an album.  Do any of the orig members get revinue? I didn't buy it because it wasn't an Axl approved album (And I already have all the songs anyway)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 10:45:02 AM by Neemo » Logged

bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 10:43:18 AM »

no way,contraband won't outsell new aerosmithalbum which sold in 15000 copies in 6 weeks
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 10:48:50 AM »

I think it will outsell the GH but either way, Slash/Duff are in for a good week because they're making money on both beer.
one question:"in how many copies snakepit or loaded have sold htheir albums"Huh??
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 10:49:10 AM »

Yeah, they and Axl will still make money on all old GNR stuff released. They'll get a certain amount of royalties for each album sold. Even though the cd is not "Axl Approved" he still makes money. Same goes for Slash and Duff, they all own the songs together: the 3 of them. Thats why the GNR back catalog is so good for them, they are in another band and will continue to profit off the GNR back catalog. If and when Axl releases CD, a renewed spike of interest in the GNR back catalog will once again put more money in the guys pockets, which I am sure they won't mind.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 10:56:25 AM »

Even though the cd is not "Axl Approved" he still makes money.

I dont exist for Axl to make money though. I support the band and anything they endorse. They didn't endorse GH. I don't buy.

Same goes for Slash and Duff, they all own the songs together: the 3 of them.

If that is the case then Izzy and Steven should get royalties too. I'm pretty sure the name on the song credits of AFD is Guns N' Roses not individual names. Besides I was under the impression that Izzy and Axl were the main song writers of G'n'R before he left.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 10:58:27 AM by Neemo » Logged

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2004, 11:01:21 AM »

steven and Izzy get royalties as well, its that the 3 others are in charge of making all decisions related to the GNR back catalog. Izzy and Adler are not involved in that decision making process.
gnrgoblue
Headliner

how did it come to this?

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2004, 11:03:09 AM »

I bought my copy yesterday evening at a Target on my way home from work. When I was wandering through the music section looking for it, I became somewhat confused because I was expecting to see about a million copies of it everywhere on kiosks and whatnot, but couldn?t spot it anywhere. So then I figured maybe it was a smaller release than I expected, and just went to the ?V? section. No dice. Wasn?t there.

So finally I went to the clerk and explained what I was looking for, and he sighed and said he?d just restocked it, and had been restocking it all day. Then he went to the ?back room? (I love the mysterious ?back room? in stores ... I imagine it to be filled with wonderous goodies, like Santa?s workshop), came out with a box of what appeared to be about 50 more copies, handed me one, and began restocking an empty kiosk that I assume had been home to several hundred copies throughout the day. He said he was getting tired of restocking this album.

Anyway, I suppose everyone is having a different buying experience, but I?m not entirely sure what the sales of the album have to do with its quality (does N?Sync?s outstanding sales make the ?band?s? music good? If G n? R?s Greatest Hits sold poorly, would that make the music it contained worse? I could be wrong, but I don?t think so). I think it?s safe to say, though, that the album will sell very well. Several million over the next several months.

You insecure Axl freaks who are just aching for Contraband to sell like shit (as if that will make Chinese Democracy come out faster or better, or as if that would somehow validate Axl?s neurotic behavior when dealing with former bandmates) need not worry: I think it?s safe to say that Contraband will not come close to matching Appetite?s sales, or even those of either Illusion album. And it shouldn?t. It?s a great album, but few could reasonably argue it?s even in the same realm of those three classics. Plus, the studio music industry is dying, or at least morphing into something completely different, making sales comparisons between any album that comes out today with one released five or more years ago a dubious exercise.

As a side note, I really wish people weren?t so sensitive around here. How nice would it be to have a discussion that went like this:

Me: ?That Contraband, what a cool album! It?s no Appetite, but I like it.?

You: ?I agree. How much better is driving down the expressway with a blasting stereo now that I have TWO bands to like. Aren?t those people who feel the need to ally themselves to one band primairly by ranting mindlessly about how much the other band ?suks? a silly bunch? Boy, not getting emotional and parochial about the business decisions of perfect strangers really opens the door to a lot of good music out there.?

I know. I?m daydreaming.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2004, 11:09:08 AM »

I'm with you 100% gnrgoblue ok

That contraband is a good album.
And I like G'n'R too! wow Huh
and I like Nirvana as well, oh shit! Grin
and Foo Fighters Undecided
and Metallica  no
And Poison nervous

and others. Listening to strictly one band would drive me nuts.
I love G'n'R and all but there is so many more great bands out there.  beer
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 11:09:58 AM by Neemo » Logged

providman
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2004, 11:13:49 AM »

Yea, good post blue. What I'm finding amusing is how some of these Axl people somehow consider GH sales vs Contraband sales as some sort of "competition" between Axl & VR - as if GH is somehow Axl's solo project.
outlawaxl
Rocker

The King of Kings

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2004, 11:20:32 AM »

who gives a shit really?? im not getting rich off the shit...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 11:22:18 AM by outlawaxl » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: