Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 12:28:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  will the record label prevent Chinese democracy from being classic!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: will the record label prevent Chinese democracy from being classic!  (Read 15806 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« on: July 16, 2004, 01:47:29 AM »

rumor has it the record label told axl to fix some things on Chinese democracy before it could be released, Scott weiland talked how he was censored by the record label on certain lyrics he could say

with the shit music out today will the record label allow axl to be innovative and change the musical landscape? or will they fight axl till he comes out with shit that sounds like everything else out just to fit into todays format

whose to say this isnt the big holdup on CD, maybe axl is frustrated and having a power struggle with the label cause they want shit to sound commercial and axl wants to be new, therefore axl is stubborn and just isnt doing shit until something happens

i just hope the record label, who always fucks shit up, will get out of axl's way and let him do things his way instead of tryin to make it sound like a better version of linkin park or something

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 01:54:28 AM »

if chinese democracy comes out with 12 songs each of 3min 30seconds, you'll know the record company has won.

can't get more radio friendly than a format like that.
estranged.1098
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 01:57:33 AM »

therefore axl is stubborn and just isnt doing shit until something happens

If the scenario were true I believe Axl would be working to release the album under a different label, instead of doing that  ok
estranged.1098
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 02:02:53 AM »

if chinese democracy comes out with 12 songs each of 3min 30seconds, you'll know the record company has won.

can't get more radio friendly than a format like that.

There's a good chance the album will be radio friendly. You're assuming there's an Axl vs Label dispute, which is just an old rumor.

Besides, you really think Axl would let this happen after working on this album for so long?
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 02:44:42 AM »

rumor has it the record label told axl to fix some things on Chinese democracy before it could be released, Scott weiland talked how he was censored by the record label on certain lyrics he could say

with the shit music out today will the record label allow axl to be innovative and change the musical landscape? or will they fight axl till he comes out with shit that sounds like everything else out just to fit into todays format

whose to say this isnt the big holdup on CD, maybe axl is frustrated and having a power struggle with the label cause they want shit to sound commercial and axl wants to be new, therefore axl is stubborn and just isnt doing shit until something happens

i just hope the record label, who always fucks shit up, will get out of axl's way and let him do things his way instead of tryin to make it sound like a better version of linkin park or something

They've given him 10 years - i don't think their intentions are to interfere

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 04:49:31 AM »

Scott didnt say that...

The record company encouraged a "clean" edit of Contraband so that it could be sold at Wal-Mart and such, and that required modifying the lyrics by muting out the cursing.  Weiland wasnt happy with the compromise, but did it anyway.  And radio/TV outlets expressed interest in censoring the word "poppies" in "Slither," which angered Weiland.

But the record company didnt interfere with the lyrical content in the regular, unedited album.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 05:38:24 AM »

I agree with Izzy. If they were going to interfer, they would have done so a long time ago. I think they know they have a good thing and they are willing to wait it out like the rest of us. They didn't give him that much money if he hasn't proved it is worth it.
I hope this cd changes the way rock music is defined.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
darkmonth
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 07:24:19 AM »

Axl wont have a problem doing a clean version I suspect in the end, as we all know there are 'clean' versions of all the GnR albums on the shelves anyway.  It's nothing new.  But if you want the kids to experience your music, you have to make small compromises sometimes... saying (for example) 'bad' instead of 'fucking bad' isn't a big deal....

Anyway, stop worrying.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 12:43:01 PM »

I wouldn't doubt that the label is sticking there collective noses into the production of Chinese Democracy. Think about it, they signed a contract with Guns N' Roses however many years ago, and in their eyes the cd has been in the works since 94'. They lose money and the band loses noteriety with every passing year, of course the label wants it to be comercialy successful. They are in it to make money. If they had some kind of assurances that they would be getting three albums in a respectable amount of time, then they would probably be more comfortable letting Axl be creative, but in his ten years of missed dates and missed opportunities he lost his right to waste their money to creativity. Geffen can't afford a commercial flop that is "creative genius" lost on the masses. If your the Beatles and you have 20 something albums, you can afford to throw a risky album out their.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 02:09:40 PM »

booker i couldve sworn in that rolling stone article how scott talked about being censored, why else would he write that on the website about censorship sucks?

there are plenty of albums that are masterpieces but do not sell well cause they arent easy digestible shit

rhcp's by the way is one of the greatest cds ever from song 1 to 16, it sold just over a million in the US

my point is will the record label try to make axl do some radio friendly garbage just to sell more cds

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 02:48:03 PM »

there are plenty of albums that are masterpieces but do not sell well cause they arent easy digestible shit

rhcp's by the way is one of the greatest cds ever from song 1 to 16, it sold just over a million in the US

my point is will the record label try to make axl do some radio friendly garbage just to sell more cds

Geffens job is to make money, not distribute poor selling masterpieces. The record label (especially in this instance) has every right to set themselves up to make money. If they think that a release with 6 or seven possible radio singles will sell 10 million copies and make them back everything they have lost in ten years of failure from Axl, than God Bless them..... Axl can comeback and release his opus for a second album.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 04:31:47 PM »

The record company probably hasnt lost as much as we think regarding this band. Their old sales alone are raking in big bucks consistently.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 05:12:15 PM »

with the shit music out today will the record label allow axl to be innovative and change the musical landscape?

I don' t think we need to be worried about Axl changing any musical landscape.. Roll Eyes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 05:22:31 PM »

The record company probably hasnt lost as much as we think regarding this band. Their old sales alone are raking in big bucks consistently.

They commited 13 million dollars (confirmed?) for Chinese Democracy. Therefore they are expecting CD to make them that money back alone. I dont think that Gefffen is excited about raking in the 50-100k copies a year that they sell of the back catalog. I'm sure that they have lost all interest in Axl's artistic vision and just want him to release something that will appeal and sell copies. Why live off of old album sales when they feel that a properly groomed "CD" can make them millions...........When Axl becomes the Geffen cash cow again then he can decide to recreate "The White Album."

Think about it Geffen gave him this money based on the fact that he was one of the biggest artists in the world, after all the disapointment (failed tour, missed release dates, poor T.V. preformances) I'm sure that they have lost all trust that he can put out...

I know we worship him, but the rest of the record industry looks at Axl (at this moment) as nothing more than a hair band has been.

in 93-94 he was in this list:
Robert Plant
Jim Morrison
Axl Rose

03-04 he's in this list:
Brett Michaels
Vince Neil
Janni Lane
Axl Rose
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2004, 06:09:18 PM »

in 93-94 he was in this list:
Robert Plant
Jim Morrison
Axl Rose

03-04 he's in this list:
Brett Michaels
Vince Neil
Janni Lane
Axl Rose
Hes somewhere in the middle right now.

If CD is horrible he will be in the latter. If CD is a masterpiece he will either go back to where he was or maybe even rise into the god type section....time will tell.....

As for the money. No doubt the company wants to make money on the album. And they have every right. All im saying is that its not like they broke their back to fund the band since 94. The old catologues has provided a nice lil cushion for them.

HAte to break it to you but Axl is not going to sacrafice anything on this album. This album is his life and a lot is at stake with this band and album. DO you honestly htink Axl will surrcomb to any type of pressure put on by the company? Hell fukin no. He hasnt done it for the past few yrs he wont now. The album will be how it was intended to be.

That is the least of my concerns regarding CD. As Zak Wylde said, Axl is one smart guy.
The music will make or break the band...and that is such a good thing!

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2004, 07:27:08 PM »

03-04 he's in this list:
Brett Michaels
Vince Neil
Janni Lane
Axl Rose

Sorry, but that's wrong.

Give the guy some credit, how many of those would've been asked to headline Rock In Rio 4?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2004, 08:08:32 PM »

03-04 he's in this list:
Brett Michaels
Vince Neil
Janni Lane
Axl Rose

Sorry, but that's wrong.

Give the guy some credit, how many of those would've been asked to headline Rock In Rio 4?

/jarmo

His place is somewhere in between, which isn't a bad place at by any means.

Unfortunately, he's more closely associated with Neil and company merely because of the scene he emerged from, hardly because of his talent

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2004, 08:12:54 PM »

booker i couldve sworn in that rolling stone article how scott talked about being censored, why else would he write that on the website about censorship sucks?

Yeah, the censorship done after the record was finished for the "clean" edit, and the censorship threatened by MTV/radio for "poppies".  That doesnt mean there was any active censorship on the unedited record - Im positive there wasnt any.  Bottom line is, despite any commercial censorship, they still put out the record they wanted to.
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2004, 08:29:54 PM »

To even try to lump Axl in with Jani Lane is laughable...whether Axl releases anyhting or not, the music he did produce had so much more depth then anyone of the hollywood hair scene ever could collectively hope for....as for the topic at hand, I'm with Izzy, if the record company hasn't pushed musical changes on him now (and i've see no credible evidence they have), then they never will...now forcing a release may be another story entirely....

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2004, 09:00:13 PM »

They commited 13 million dollars (confirmed?) for Chinese Democracy. Therefore they are expecting CD to make them that money back alone. I dont think that Gefffen is excited about raking in the 50-100k copies a year that they sell of the back catalog.
100-000*$20*10 years= $20m  Granted, proably less than a quarter goes to the actual label, but still...

Anyway, do you think Mr Perfectionist is gonna lest someone change the music he's spend a quarter of his life creating?

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: