Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 11:34:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228006 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Typing "should of" instead of "should've"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Typing "should of" instead of "should've"  (Read 20783 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2004, 12:14:12 PM »

Thanks a lot, Will. I love this GNR nation too.? love

i didn't mean to offend anyone.

Na, and the first part of my previous post was an attempt to be funny, but, baw! apparently failed.? crying?
Maybe Skeletor got it?
I love reading broken English. It?s so amusing to image each poster speaking "liek" they write.

But the last bit was all serious. It's a question for all musicians.
the reason i took up music was exactly that, it can communicate to anyone.
And that?s the answer I wanted to hear.
May your music resound through the world! One day, Someday..? beer

Then, I think there?s something in what Dizzy and Skeletor say.
We are trying to UNDERSTAND WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE SAYING!.......and it's unfortunate, because I honestly do believe that you're intelligent and have interesting things to say.
It reminds me of "I want to know you".... whose song was it?

(Comments on a trial lesson: Thanks Dizzy. Somehow an element of doubt about the view on my "being kindly corrected" arose in my mind. I may well follow SCL?s advice. Undecided)?

For the benefit of all those who speak English as a second language, I'm not even touching this topic
................................ Hmm MCT, your language is very difficult.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2004, 12:34:35 PM »

You all need to get off your high horses and just enjoy the site. English teacher or not no one's perfect.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Eeebs
I was kissed by Matt Sorum!!
VIP

Riot Act

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2004, 02:39:05 PM »

To each their own, I say.  Everyone has different ways of expressing themselves.  There is no right or wrong way... all that matters is that you are able to get your message across.  Grammar and spelling should be of secondary concern in my opinion. 
Dizzy
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2004, 06:14:35 PM »

Grammar and spelling should be of secondary concern in my opinion.?

Bollocks.  Language is the basis of all communication.  We would have nothing without it.  Not even the ever so precious element that fools call "love" could be possible without language.  If you can't take the time to correctly formulate your expressions, why should I take the time to read them?  In layman's terms, if you're going to type a half-ass post, why should I give it more than a half-ass glance?
Eeebs
I was kissed by Matt Sorum!!
VIP

Riot Act

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2004, 06:21:45 PM »

Grammar and spelling should be of secondary concern in my opinion.?

Bollocks.? Language is the basis of all communication.? We would have nothing without it.? Not even the ever so precious element that fools call "love" could be possible without language.? If you can't take the time to correctly formulate your expressions, why should I take the time to read them?? In layman's terms, if you're going to type a half-ass post, why should I give it more than a half-ass glance?

Apparenly, you only gave my response a "half-ass glance"... like I said, it was just *my opinion* Smiley Smiley

Dizzy
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2004, 06:27:29 PM »

Apparenly, you only gave my response a "half-ass glance"... like I said, it was just *my opinion*

Yeah, and I refuted "your opinon" by stating "my opinion".? So how did I only give your post a lackadaisical glance?? Just because I didn't acknowledge the "it's my opinion" sentiment?? Isn't it a given that any post you make in this sense is "your opinion"?

Sheesh, sometimes I think I'm the only one posting here who doesn't use the rather superfluous phrase "in my opinion" for fear of the ramifications which might ensue.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 11:20:20 PM by Dizzy » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2004, 07:21:43 PM »

i rarely use that but i honestly can think of about a hundred better things to do with my time than to bitch about peoples grammar, but thats just me!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Dizzy
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2004, 11:14:13 PM »

i rarely use that but i honestly can think of about a hundred better things to do with my time than to bitch about peoples grammar

Ah, I see.  So instead of spending your time bitching about grammar, you spend your time sitting there thinking of 100 better things to do with your time.? No wonder you have no time to type properly.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 11:19:22 PM by Dizzy » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2004, 11:37:45 PM »

to elaborate on my previous post, (sorry, my brother was outside to pick me up to watch alien vs predator) i am intelligent enough, that if someone misspells a word but is close enough it's *u like that* no big deal.

i think anyone with an I.Q. over 50 can tell the difference in a contraction and when something is possessive.

axls a dick. I think it's pretty evident that I am saying, axl is a dick.

axls hair is not real.? That is pretty easy to figure out whose hair im talking about.

i dont capitalize shit because i guess im too lazy to hit shift, i dont use apostrophes cause i have no problems understanding what people are talking about, so i guess i assume everyone is intelligent enough to figure out when a contraction compared to possession is being shown.

I mean i think everyone knows dont is do not, i mean fuck does typing don't really make that much of a difference? does capitalization change the word? does it make it mean something else?

who knows if anyone is goin to read what i post, so i sure as hell am not gonna sit here and make a 5 minute post take 10 minutes just so i can have proper sentence structure and grammar.

when i post i could care less if im quoted or people read or respond, but considering most people read my threads, read my posts, id say the majority is like me and could give a shit either way.

if proper grammar makes some people happy, by all means use it! i frankly dont care enough to bother

am i wrong? probably, do i care? hells no!

I could sit here and give u proper grammar all day long if i really wanted, but ive never seen anyone congratulated for grammar on a message board.

"Dude i totally dont agree with your post but holy fuck your grammar is amazing."
I've never seen that!

great posts are great posts and i guarantee only a small minority even thinks twice about grammar etc etc or cares.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 11:56:25 PM by D » Logged

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2004, 01:31:26 AM »

to elaborate on my previous post, (sorry, my brother was outside to pick me up to watch alien vs predator) i am intelligent enough, that if someone misspells a word but is close enough it's *u like that* no big deal.

i think anyone with an I.Q. over 50 can tell the difference in a contraction and when something is possessive.

axls a dick. I think it's pretty evident that I am saying, axl is a dick.

axls hair is not real.  That is pretty easy to figure out whose hair im talking about.

i dont capitalize shit because i guess im too lazy to hit shift, i dont use apostrophes cause i have no problems understanding what people are talking about, so i guess i assume everyone is intelligent enough to figure out when a contraction compared to possession is being shown.

I mean i think everyone knows dont is do not, i mean fuck does typing don't really make that much of a difference? does capitalization change the word? does it make it mean something else?

who knows if anyone is goin to read what i post, so i sure as hell am not gonna sit here and make a 5 minute post take 10 minutes just so i can have proper sentence structure and grammar.

when i post i could care less if im quoted or people read or respond, but considering most people read my threads, read my posts, id say the majority is like me and could give a shit either way.

if proper grammar makes some people happy, by all means use it! i frankly dont care enough to bother

am i wrong? probably, do i care? hells no!

I could sit here and give u proper grammar all day long if i really wanted, but ive never seen anyone congratulated for grammar on a message board.

"Dude i totally dont agree with your post but holy fuck your grammar is amazing."
I've never seen that!

great posts are great posts and i guarantee only a small minority even thinks twice about grammar etc etc or cares.

Good job. ok

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2004, 03:21:30 AM »

I've never seen that!

rofl that was a good one..

And what it comes to me is, you've all seen that my grammar isn't that good now and then..english isn't my native language but I always try to put my words that way that others here in messageboard could get something out of my message. Sometimes my grammar is so poor that later on I can't even myself figure out what I tried to explain with that post of mine? Grin......

...and what I've noticed is that, what i've learned at school how to spell etc. is sometimes giving me hard time here. I mean, there are many posters here that are americans or british..or just have good english skills, and some of the people of that group spells words wrong or have bad grammar. And I'm thinking that, damn is that sentence right??..well, I guess it's got to be 'cause his native language is english..and then I'm just confused 'cause I remembered that it was taught different way back in school. So often I got mixed up the things what I've learned at school and what I've "learned" at here.
journey
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2004, 03:50:53 AM »

I really admire people who can speak and write in a language that's not their first. I took a year of Spanish, and it was strange to learn a different way of speaking and forming sentences. My biggest problem with English sentences, are commas. I'm always making comma splices. I try to catch myself, but it's a slippery slope.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2004, 09:03:48 AM »

i guess i assume everyone is intelligent enough to figure out when a contraction compared to possession is being shown.

It's not a question of intelligence, and it's not a question (at least in most cases) whether the reader can understand the meaning. It's the million other things already discussed earlier in this thread.

does capitalization change the word? does it make it mean something else?

No you're right, let's fuckin' change all the rules of the English language because they're no good!

...Capitalization doesn't change the word, but it makes the text EASIER and FASTER to read. Is that honestly so hard to comprehend??

i sure as hell am not gonna sit here and make a 5 minute post take 10 minutes just so i can have proper sentence structure and grammar.

Roll Eyes If it really takes you that long, I feel sorry for you.

It doesn't need to be congratulated, because it should be taken for granted.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2004, 02:53:15 PM »

point being its a message board, more of an informal type deal.

i guess its the same reason u type "lol" instead of spelling out laugh out loud

Im not disagreeing with you english buffs, i mean true i should use proper grammar etc, i mean i know how etc, im not saying im right, im just saying I,and the majority of the board dont really care.

i exaggerated, it would probably take a minute 15 seconds opposed to 1 minute to post, i guess i never really thought about it.

my next 5 posts after this, i will try my hardest to capitalize,use proper grammar etc etc etc

this could be fun!

Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2004, 03:16:41 PM »

no d, liek stay wif tdda ungrammar ppl.

dun bcum a idiot n gif in 2 da btastaruds

gramrer nspelin is for losers man. juz lok at diz n skelotar.

soon u be wearin big glases wif tap on dem to keep em togta so tgey dont vreak again n u go to dungeon n dragon meetingssv wearin a brown robers or somethings wif dizzy.

i that wearesun u wansndbae..........goin da doengens n dragons with glasses and arrobe......cuz sthats wiat fgerammsr wiikll doo to u.........gsdo do soem drugs......hta'st exxcellentsaa atm makin syous lsoe gramer.

yosuv ovudl gets liesk me.

stewie griffon from family guy after telling a joke: "thats right.....................i went there"

smoking
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2004, 03:31:08 PM »

no d, liek stay wif tdda ungrammar ppl.

dun bcum a idiot n gif in 2 da btastaruds

gramrer nspelin is for losers man. juz lok at diz n skelotar.

soon u be wearin big glases wif tap on dem to keep em togta so tgey dont vreak again n u go to dungeon n dragon meetingssv wearin a brown robers or somethings wif dizzy.

i that wearesun u wansndbae..........goin da doengens n dragons with glasses and arrobe......cuz sthats wiat fgerammsr wiikll doo to u.........gsdo do soem drugs......hta'st exxcellentsaa atm makin syous lsoe gramer.

yosuv ovudl gets liesk me.

stewie griffon from family guy after telling a joke: "thats right.....................i went there"

smoking

Is it scary that i could read everything you wrote word for word?HuhHuhHuh?

Elrothiel
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2006, 10:34:58 PM »

Jeez, I FUCKING hate it when people say "should of".

In some of the programs I watch here in England, occasionally a character says that, and I find myself screaming "ITS "SHOULD HAVE" YOU STUPID BITCH!" at the TV... its slightly scary how something so trivial pisses me off so much!!

Its the same with "would of", and "could of".

"would of", "could of" and "should of" make NO sense whatsoever!!

AAARRRRGHHH!!! rant

Another grammatical error which pisses me off is when people mix up the usage of "to", "too", and "two", and also when people say "alot" instead of "a lot".

This is why it is so important for kids to read, and to like reading for leisure. The more people read, the less errors they will make with their spelling and grammar.

Oh yes, that's another one!! The mix up of "there", "their", and "they're"!!! rant Angry no
SLCPUNK
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2006, 11:17:35 PM »

That is quite the bump.............
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2006, 11:20:43 PM »

also when people say "alot" instead of "a lot".

I think this is actually the most common misspelt word in the english language.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2006, 11:22:09 PM »

That is quite the bump

Yep. Reading this stuff reminded me it's a shame Dizzy's gone...

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: