Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:34:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Why does VR play the same setlist?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why does VR play the same setlist?  (Read 8326 times)
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« on: August 09, 2004, 04:41:07 AM »

Why does VR play almost the same setlist every night? I think it'd be better if they changed the selection sometimes. OK, here in Europe they play Cheap Trick instead of Nirvana, but that's all. Where are the other VR songs?  Huh

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 05:42:42 AM »

Damn, I really miss You Got No Right live...  I'm cool with the other songs.

Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 08:34:48 AM »

Yeah fuck, they are totally cockblocking the ballads big time... why no YGNR and LTA?? They must be waiting to spring those or something? Im sorry but Scott's belief that FTP is that strong and will become classic is wrong. YGNR sounds far more classic to me. They gotta start milking those songs... girls are the people who buy albums, and those songs appeal to girls most.
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 10:38:29 AM »

they played surrender in the us too.

keyboards, who will play keyboards if they play the ballads?

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 11:08:34 AM »

o Jizzo, you and your facts... always clouding the argument with facts....
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 11:29:48 AM »

they played surrender in the us too.

keyboards, who will play keyboards if they play the ballads?

Doug Grean, Im sure..
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 03:21:51 PM »

That is the obvious answer, since he did play them at the smashbox

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 04:04:56 PM »

because they are too busy working out instead of rehearsing their new songs
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 05:26:24 PM »

They def need to play You Got No Right!!!

EEEERRRR Little boy
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 05:30:26 PM »

Wasn't it Duff who said in an interview back in the GnR days UYI tour, that if you play the same setlist night to night things get boring and old?

Personally seen they played 11 songs on thier last show it seems there is alot missing I dont think they could any, but I think they should add some on to it. The songs they are playing come in at about 1 hour of songs, I know they are old but they should be playing 90 minutes, so they can play more of their songs

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 05:30:55 PM »

Mabey it's because the rest of the material is too difficult for Slash to play, a la Superhuman hihi

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 06:44:46 PM »

I have 2 theories: maybe they're doing the same mistake then back in the GN'R days, when they played almost the same setlist, 'cause it doesn't need too much additional work. (But I don't know that learning other 3 songs and then rotate why would be hard for these professionals.) Second, they're holding some 'big guns', for example YGNR will be the 3rt or 4th single, and they'll play it only then. Third (nobody expects the Spanish inquistion  Grin) they wanted to do some GN'R covers, but only a few suited to Scott, so they picked UTLH, and they play Scott's favourite FTP, so they can't play more slower songs - but why don't they play other rockers?

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2004, 07:50:22 PM »

For one thing they don't have that much material.  And they haven't been together that long, they probably didn't have time to rehearse a bunch of different material and covers together so they play what they're comfortable with.  I'm sure that the next time they tour, they'll play a lot wider range of stuff.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2004, 09:56:36 PM »

This is by no means a Sorum bash so please take it for what it's worth...

In 1999 when The Cult reformed (thanks to Matt and Steve Jones) they closed their reunion tour with a (still record) 9 night stand at The House Of Blues on Sunset.? They did in fact play the exact same set each night.? It was widely rumored Matt would not take the time to learn additional songs to vary the sets.

In 2001 on their "Beyond Good And Evil" tour, The Cult played their homecoming show at Brixton Academy in London, during the show Ian Astbury says something to the effect "We'll play some of our older material, if our drummer knows them".? Billy Duffy broke into the intro of an early single entitled "Spiritwalker" which Matt proceeded to botch horribly.

In 2002, Matt was not asked to participate in a short west coast tour to promote The Cult's DVD, "Music Without Fear - Live in Los Angeles", a DVD in which Matt was a featured part of the band.? The short 6 date stint featured? a 23 song retrospective of their entire career with very limited rehearsal time to prepare.

As I said above, this is in no means a slight to Sorum or his ability, but maybe some insight on the lack of variation with VR's setlist.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2004, 10:05:49 PM »

Sorum didnt have a problem learning and playing 30-40 GNR songs back in the Illusion tour, so im not sure this is a valid point.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2004, 10:18:33 PM »

Sorum didnt have a problem learning and playing 30-40 GNR songs back in the Illusion tour, so im not sure this is a valid point.

I realize that, and that's why I qualified my post.  I have the utmost respect for Sorum's abilities.

That said, the Illusions tour was a long time ago, maybe there's been a shift in work ethic since then, who knows?

Again, I don't want to point drumsticks, just some insight on possibilities, that's all. 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2004, 10:34:48 PM »

most bands really limit the ballads in concert

bon jovi are probably best known for their ballads but u wont find more than 4 sometimes 5 in there 22 song setlist

i just think they dont want to kill the energy of the show is why they dont play more ballads

personally ballads get me as fired up as fast rock songs

im glad they dropped "used to love her" im not sure that song would be good if new gnr played it, its one of the few occassions where a gnr song just didnt translate and stand the test of time in my opinion

when i think of "its so easy" i think of axl beating and mistreating his ladies, sounds weird when scott sings it even though izzy wrote it didnt he?

i think they would be great just doing their VR stuff the GNR stuff although is cool to see slash and co play those songs again i sing GNR better than scott does, scott's style isnt made for any GNR song he could probably maybe pull off november rain but we know they'd never play that or you aint the first or something

i want SUPERHUMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn it!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2004, 10:55:47 PM »

i just think they dont want to kill the energy of the show is why they dont play more ballads

I agree with this 100%.

At the VR show I attended,  momentum definately stalled when FTP was played, and again later with UTLH.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2004, 12:20:42 AM »

I realize that, and that's why I qualified my post.? I have the utmost respect for Sorum's abilities.

That said, the Illusions tour was a long time ago, maybe there's been a shift in work ethic since then, who knows?

Again, I don't want to point drumsticks, just some insight on possibilities, that's all.?

Its certainly a possibility but who knows, maybe they just decided they would play the 12-14 songs they have played in the club tour and when they hit the bigger arenas they will play longer shows therefore add more material.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2004, 04:33:02 AM »

They will get there.......

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: