Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:20:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Loving the Alien VS Don't Cry
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loving the Alien VS Don't Cry  (Read 20193 times)
madagas
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2004, 04:16:32 PM »

1. Axl did not write Don't Cry-that is why the lyrics are so simple and cheesy-has Stradlin written all over it. Axl's love songs are a little deeper and more negative in general. Axl probably helped with Don't Cry but Izzy has the main writing credit. 2. Don't Cry stinks stinks stinks-it drops Gnr in to the hair metal category and should have been left on the shelf-maybe released as a b-side, along with Back Off Bitch, Get in the Ring, My World and Shotgun Blues (unnecessary petty songs). 3. I would take Loving the Alien overall even though it kind of fell flat with me after a lot of listens. Great solo by Slash and the musical arrangement isn't as cookie cutter as Don't Cry. Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 10:18:31 AM by madagas » Logged
SADIS
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2004, 03:58:49 AM »

I think they and the VR fans are pretty damn happy with Weiland.

I am for sure! Too bad Izzy isn't with them though. He wrote some of my fave GNR tunes....ah, well you can't have it all...
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2004, 08:58:10 AM »

yeah, Izzy mostly wrote Dont Cry, hence it has nothing to do with Velvet Revolver and is not a fair choice for which ones better, but Dont Cry (alt) is my pick ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2004, 06:24:23 AM »

I would rather compare Dont Cry to Fall To Pieces. Fall To Pieces is a Dont Cry sort of song.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2004, 07:05:23 AM »

I personally would take the demo version of Don't Cry over Loving the Alien anyday.  There is so much raw emotion in that version that can't be captured and it doesn't have the cheesy overdubs. It really is a beautiful GNR moment.  Loving the Alien is a cool song but it just kinda played itself out on me i guess.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2004, 09:31:47 PM »

Dont Cry is the prototypical made for MTV cheesy love ballad. That did nothing GNR's reputation, mostly because its a love song. At the time Axl wasnt showing much love for his Gf's anyway, so i dont know why they wrote this. Fake emotions-fake lyrics-made for MTV. The alternate Dont Cry is probably Axl's true feelings, so i like that version much better.

About the fake feeling, thing take a look:
( Taken from www.gnrinfo.tk/ )

Axl: I was sitting outside the Roxy, and you know, I was like really in love with this person, and she was realising this wasn't going to work, she was doing her things, she was telling me goodbye, and I like sat down, and just started crying, and she was telling me 'don't cry'. Next night we got together and wrote the song in 5 minutes. He'd been through some things with her, himself.

Axl: It was [about] a girl that Izzy had gone out with, and I was really attracted to her, and they split up, and we wrote the song.

So, fake feelings, ha?

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2004, 10:52:31 PM »

lol

Still ill go with Don't Cry (original).

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
SisterMorphine
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2004, 11:20:39 AM »

I love Don't Cry and definitely prefer GNR to VR but I think I'll have to go with LTA.
It's my fave VR song.? Smiley
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2004, 11:27:14 PM »

I love Don't Cry and definitely prefer GNR to VR but I think I'll have to go with LTA.
It's my fave VR song.? Smiley

Me too I think.  I love Dirty Little Think and Loving The Alien the best......

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2004, 01:17:38 AM »

LTA is just average its not even close to dont cry, either version.
And saying LTA was not written to be a hit is bullshit.
Every song on VR album they were trying to make a hit.
Give me a break, just when I thought i have read it all, you get a thread like this.
What is next, falling to pieces is better than nov rain  rofl

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2004, 01:19:33 AM »

1. Axl did not write Don't Cry-that is why the lyrics are so simple and cheesy-has Stradlin written all over it. Axl's love songs are a little deeper and more negative in general. Axl probably helped with Don't Cry but Izzy has the main writing credit. 2. Don't Cry stinks stinks stinks-it drops Gnr in to the hair metal category and should have been left on the shelf-maybe released as a b-side, along with Back Off Bitch, Get in the Ring, My World and Shotgun Blues (unnecessary petty songs). 3. I would take Loving the Alien overall even though it kind of fell flat with me after a lot of listens. Great solo by Slash and the musical arrangement isn't as cookie cutter as Don't Cry. Just my two cents.

Axl wrote the ALT lyrics to dont cry, izzy wrote the orginal.

Btw since ur bashing get in the ring, you know its not an axl song right?
its a duff song  ok

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2004, 02:18:19 AM »

its a duff song? ok

What the fuck is wrong with you? You think this guy wouldn't have said he thought GITR should be a B-side if he thought Duff wrote it and only said cause he thought it was an Axl song???  Is this part of your paranoia that everyone is out to get you and Axl?Huh The guy is obviously an Axl fan being his name is Madagas and at the beginning of his post he is saying that Axl's lyrics are deeper than Izzy...

HEY EVERYBODY!!!! JUST INCASE YOU DON"T LIKE GET IN THE RING...........IT"S DUFF"S SONG, NOT AXL'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LTA blows Don't Cry away......

madagas
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2004, 09:00:23 AM »

Dave knows I 'm an Axllite and if I had to choose any version of Don't Cry I like the ALT lyrics much better. ok However, as a song, I just don't like Don't Cry-simple as that. LTA has a Bowie feel to it that catches my attention. Don't Cry has a hair metal feel to it. As for Get in the Ring, every part of the song is embarrassing but Axl's rant is the low point of his career in my opinion. Someone with the success Axl had attained at that point didn't need to stoop so low. Same goes with parts of Shotgun Blues.  Embarrassed
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2004, 12:50:01 PM »

After AFD put GNR a "cut above" the other LA metal bands, the likes of "Don't Cry" (and for that matter, "November Rain") sunk them to the depths of the rest hair metal, no better than Poison's "Every Rose Has it's Thorn", Skid Row's "I Remember You" and the Crue's "Home Sweet Home".  All crap.

I don't care for LTA whatsoever, but it's light years better than Don't Cry.

It's not even close IMO.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
madagas
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2004, 02:07:15 PM »

Now, Falcon, I wouldn't put Nov Rain in there. It is not your cup of tea however, most consider it an epic along the lines of Layla and Stairway. Sure, some people make fun of it, but they also make fun of Stairway. It is a classic rock song with a wicked ending, whereas DC is clearly a sunset strip hair metal weeper. Big difference in my humble- well educated- epic rock ballad opinion. Grin
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2004, 01:42:50 AM »

So I guess LTA and YGNR sinks VR to hair metal right?

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2004, 01:44:46 AM »

its a duff song? ok

What the fuck is wrong with you? You think this guy wouldn't have said he thought GITR should be a B-side if he thought Duff wrote it and only said cause he thought it was an Axl song?Huh Is this part of your paranoia that everyone is out to get you and Axl?Huh The guy is obviously an Axl fan being his name is Madagas and at the beginning of his post he is saying that Axl's lyrics are deeper than Izzy...

HEY EVERYBODY!!!! JUST INCASE YOU DON"T LIKE GET IN THE RING...........IT"S DUFF"S SONG, NOT AXL'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LTA blows Don't Cry away......

yes since the other songs he called petty songs were written by axl.

and LTA is just boring as hell and makes VR sound like hair metal.
BLAH.  VR is very mediorce.

madagas
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2004, 08:18:26 AM »

Dave, 1. I sold the VR album after 2 weeks. 2. LTA and YGNR don't sound anything like hair metal musically, more llike Bowie and the Beatles-obviously inferior versions of these two artists although I do like the musical arrangements of both songs and Slash's solo's are killer. I just don't like most of Weiland's lyrics or his vocal style. 3. My World should not have been put in the petty category-it is interesting but should have been left as a b-side to a single. The other songs are just immature and unnecessary. Back Off Bitch should have been left as what it was-an AFD leftover, same with Don't Cry. Shotgun has great music and chorus but the "kick your ass"  "IQ" stuff again, does not reflect well on Axl. He was much better than that and certainly held a position in the rock community where he had no reason to be verbally sparring with a tool like Vince Neil. peace
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2004, 09:44:06 AM »

So I guess LTA and YGNR sinks VR to hair metal right?

Hardly..

As Madagas said, LTA is pure Bowie and I'd say YGNR has much more of a STP/Nirvana kind of feel, both superior IMO to the epic poo of DC and NR.  Keep in mind, I'm no fan of either VR selection so I have no vested interest in either song.  In DC's and NR's defense, those songs are like 15 years old and were products of their time, created by a band who'd lost any sense of direction and who were at the forefront of the pompous and overblown.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
madagas
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2004, 09:55:16 AM »

Well, the first part of Nov Rain is overblown and pompous. I prefer my piano ballads to be stripped down ala After the Gold Rush Era Neil Young. Too much fluff at the beginning but still a good song with nice guitar solos and again, the ending is incredible. It would be nice to hear a naked version of Nov Rain done around 1990, not the old one from AFD era.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: