Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:27:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Loving the Alien VS Don't Cry
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loving the Alien VS Don't Cry  (Read 20197 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2004, 10:10:36 AM »

and LTA is just boring as hell and makes VR sound like hair metal.
BLAH.? VR is very mediorce.

But wait a second...

On the subject of Contraband...
The ballads are some of the? best music out there

I still think loving the alien should have been the next single, its the best song on the album.

Loving the alien 8/10
Scott sounds good on this song too.? Slashs guitar melody is awesome and the solo is top notch on this song; this song could also be a hit.

Shocked

hihi

Dave, Im afraid your hypocrisy and dishonesty is reaching Slash-like proportions...Very disappointing.? no? But after witnessing your noble efforts to to expose Slash as a liar and hypocrite, youve inspired me to do the same.? Thanks man... beer

I personally like both songs a lot.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 10:16:00 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2004, 01:36:56 PM »

But wait a second...

I still think loving the alien should have been the next single, its the best song on the album.

Loving the alien 8/10
Scott sounds good on this song too.? Slashs guitar melody is awesome and the solo is top notch on this song; this song could also be a hit.

Shocked

hihi

Dave, Im afraid your hypocrisy and dishonesty is reaching Slash-like proportions...Very disappointing.? no? But after witnessing your noble efforts to to expose Slash as a liar and hypocrite, youve inspired me to do the same.? Thanks man... beer

The above expose' might just throw someone into the same type exile grunge did Axl years ago... 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2004, 03:33:02 PM »

beer 

way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too funny.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2004, 04:14:32 PM »

But wait a second...

Loving the alien 8/10

Shocked

hihi

Man, you are surely obsessed  hihi But I like it  ok

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2004, 04:48:01 PM »

Man, you are surely obsessed? hihi But I like it? ok

Not at all...I remember these statements because when they were made, I recall thinking they were no more than a superficial attempt to appear somewhat "objective"...And since Dave is a firm believer in pointing out hypocrisy and dishonesty, I figured Id make him proud and try my hand at it.  Grin
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2004, 10:17:43 PM »

The above expose' might just throw someone into the same type exile grunge did Axl years ago... 
Why do you single out Axl and not the rest of GNR?

both superior IMO to the epic poo of DC and NR
YGNR or LTA will not even come close to the impact NR had. NR elevated GNR into another level in term sof making a ballad. Whether you prefer ballads or not is not the issue. Fact is GNR's stock rose for the most part when that song was introduced.

YGNR is VR;s best song, IMO, but it doesnt come close to NR. I doubt it will even "crossover" and be VR's SCOM or whatver like many around here predicted FTP would have.

The fact that NR was and still is played on radio despite it being a long ass song, says it all.

I don't care for LTA whatsoever, but it's light years better than Don't Cry
Of course it is...it has a modern sound whereas DC was released more than a decade ago.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2004, 11:59:45 PM »

Dont Cry is the prototypical made for MTV cheesy love ballad. That did nothing GNR's reputation, mostly because its a love song. At the time Axl wasnt showing much love for his Gf's anyway, so i dont know why they wrote this. Fake emotions-fake lyrics-made for MTV. The alternate Dont Cry is probably Axl's true feelings, so i like that version much better.

About the fake feeling, thing take a look:
( Taken from www.gnrinfo.tk/ )

Axl: I was sitting outside the Roxy, and you know, I was like really in love with this person, and she was realising this wasn't going to work, she was doing her things, she was telling me goodbye, and I like sat down, and just started crying, and she was telling me 'don't cry'. Next night we got together and wrote the song in 5 minutes. He'd been through some things with her, himself.

Axl: It was [about] a girl that Izzy had gone out with, and I was really attracted to her, and they split up, and we wrote the song.

So, fake feelings, ha?

Baby Slash//

So the song is Axl telling himself Dont Cry? Thats deep  confused
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2004, 04:56:36 AM »

YGNR or LTA will not even come close to the impact NR had. NR elevated GNR into another level in term sof making a ballad. Whether you prefer ballads or not is not the issue. Fact is GNR's stock rose for the most part when that song was introduced.

YGNR is VR;s best song, IMO, but it doesnt come close to NR. I doubt it will even "crossover" and be VR's SCOM or whatver like many around here predicted FTP would have.

I don't really like NR, although you are right, it had a very big impact on GN'R (more than it had on the musical scene). NR is a special song for a rock band, but kills a 'street rock band'. OK, they changed their musical direction, you can't play the same music for decades (only Rolling Stones can do it). But IMO NR is a boring song... there isn't anything musically interesting thing in the first minutes. The solos are among the best guitar moments of history and the end of the song is pure genius, but the lyrics, the piano and the vocal melodies are below the level of an average GN'R song. Sorry. (Estranged is much better.)

I cannot compare NR to YGNR. Both of them are ballads, but that's all, these are quite different songs. YGNR can 'battle' with Don't Cry or Patience.

Rollin' on the streets
SADIS
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2004, 06:48:08 AM »

You are so right. Even the acoustic demo of NR is so much better then YGNR or LTA. I even prefer that one over the UYI version.

The thing is with the VR songs is that they are great songs, but only in the way they are produced right now. And like NR and other GNR songs, if you take away everything and just play it on an acoustic guitar you still have really great songs. And that's what's missing in VR songs. They're great, but only in the way they are right now. They miss the emotion Izzy and Axl could put into a song. Most were written acousticly, even WTTJ. And that's how most great songs are written, cause if they work that way, you have a great song.
Mattgnr
Rocker

I'm a llama and very proud

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2004, 08:15:21 AM »

Care to reply Dave?

Good work Booker  yes
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2004, 10:08:15 AM »

Why do you single out Axl and not the rest of GNR?

Because the other members kept active and Axl didn't, too worried about keeping up with the musical Jones'.

As for Don't Cry having more of an "impact" the LTA, that's in the ears of the listener, we're not talking about career makers or breakers, just a song comparison and DC had a major negative"impact" on this fan.  Just because I'm not a fan of the bad 80's power ballad genre in general doesn't mean I can't dislike that piece of crap on it's own lack of merit...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Mattgnr
Rocker

I'm a llama and very proud

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2004, 10:52:43 AM »

You are so right. Even the acoustic demo of NR is so much better then YGNR or LTA. I even prefer that one over the UYI version.

The thing is with the VR songs is that they are great songs, but only in the way they are produced right now. And like NR and other GNR songs, if you take away everything and just play it on an acoustic guitar you still have really great songs. And that's what's missing in VR songs. They're great, but only in the way they are right now. They miss the emotion Izzy and Axl could put into a song. Most were written acousticly, even WTTJ. And that's how most great songs are written, cause if they work that way, you have a great song.

I disagree, i love the demo of loving the alien - that's a different version

How can you say that when you have not heard the acoustic versions of LTA and YGNR?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2004, 10:58:42 AM »

Because the other members kept active and Axl didn't, too worried about keeping up with the musical Jones'.
Kept active doing what? Snakepit?Cmon man.Snakepit bombed. All old GNR members were inactive until they decided to do VR. Axl has been active since 1999 making music.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2004, 11:17:42 AM »

Kept active doing what? Snakepit?Cmon man.Snakepit bombed. All old GNR members were inactive until they decided to do VR. Axl has been active since 1999 making music.

Well, yes. 

Whether you question the quality of the work, Slash, Duff and Matt expecially have kept going, not letting the musical trends of the time dictate their activity.  Hell, even Adler is out there doing it....

Even if Axl's has been "active making music since '99",  what the hell would call late 93 until then, vacation?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2004, 01:02:49 PM »

what the hell would call late 93 until then, vacation?
Unfortunately, Yes. From 94-99 GNr was inactive. the first part of those yrs the old band took a break, lawsuits, etc....then as it went on they started to disagree. then they left. New gnr began making music in 99/2000 and the band as it is today began in 2001...

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2004, 03:27:43 PM »

Kept active doing what? Snakepit?

Yes...

Come on, youre not that dense to believe your opinion of quality equals acitivity, are you?  Whether you like Snakepit, Blues Ball, Loaded, Neurotic Outsiders, Slashs session work, or Izzys solo records is irrelevant - theyre all evidence of activity.
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2004, 04:17:09 PM »

Comparing anything by VR to GnR? Blasphemy!

Dont Cry is a freaking awesome song...let us never mention the two in the same sentence ever again. LTA is so damn cheesy...I knew that a lot of you would think that "sometimes blah blah blah...sometimes is all the time and never means maybe" ding-a-dong is profound and genius. If he must write crappy lyrics, I salute him on having the same consistency on performing them.

BTW, the only decent VR song is Superhuman and that's because Weiland isn't in his typical tortured martyr persona, surprisingly. That guy should go play in an emo band.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2004, 09:13:59 PM »

But wait a second...

Loving the alien 8/10

Shocked

hihi

Booker wow you went back that far to find an old quote of mine? Good work, do you copy and save all my replies or did you search post by post to find that? Just curious.
As for LTA, at first I really liked the song, that was after a few listens, but the song after hearing it more times over the last few months the song just got stale and old.? The song just does not stand the test of time like Madagascar or the blues. The more times I heard the song the less I liked it.? ? And yes like I said the ballads are some of the best out there but that is because music sucks these days so its going up against bands like good charlotte, nickelback and jet.
Oh yeah VR should be so proud to be barely better than those guys.

Here is a question for y ou booker.? ?Since songs can grow on you, like oh my god did to a lot of gnr fans, don?t you think its possible for a song to have the opposite effect?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 09:45:08 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2004, 09:42:59 PM »

It's difficult to compare the two songs right now, because they are both products of their time.

I personally prefer LTA; Don't Cry, though a good song, always sounded a little dated and cliched to me, even given the time that it was written.

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2004, 03:04:05 AM »

what the hell would call late 93 until then, vacation?
New gnr began making music in 99/2000 and the band as it is today began in 2001...

I'm surprised...Axl said in 1999 that they have 72 songs or something... Brian May worked with Axl (in 1999) and said they had 3 albums. Axl said that CD will be released in 2000. Did they lie to us?

Today's band doesn't have Buckethead and Paul Huge/Tobias.

Rollin' on the streets
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: