Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 02:02:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228016 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Overdrive vs. Distortion
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overdrive vs. Distortion  (Read 3823 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« on: August 30, 2004, 09:50:16 AM »

Hi,

What's the real difference b/w overdrive and distortion? What does Slash use?

Fuck 'Em All.
darkmonth
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 05:03:04 PM »

Well, generally, they are actually the same thing...

distortion happens, when an amp, or pedal, is overdriven, therefore, breaking up the sound, and causing 'distortion'.  However, some people refer to them as different types of sound.  Overdrive would generally be classed by most people, as a 'warmer' distortion, than what is generally known as 'distortion'.  Here is an example... 70's rockers are using 'overdrive', and metal players are using 'distortion'.  But in essence, they are exactly the same thing.  Depends who you talk to as to what the definition is.
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 02:05:43 AM »

Distortion is something that clips the waves from both ends, kinda like adding square wave to the original sound created of sine wave. The levels of the clipping stay the same, so when you turn down your volume the sound becomes clean (depending on the amount of distortion of course). When used in full volume though, distortion has a lot harder and well, colder feel to it.

Overdrives are not as harsh on clipping thing. They tend to simulate the sound of a tube when the sound begins to saturate. The clipping is more smooth and and if I'm not completely wrong it keeps more of the hamonic freqs alive especially at the low end while saturating the higher ones with an effect similar to distortion.

On the matter of what Slash uses, I have no idea, but I'd have to guess overdrive.. Could be 100% wrong though.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
izzy07
Opening Act

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 10:29:02 AM »

if you take the use your illusion albums you can hear the difference beetween overdrive and distortion, on the left side you have Izzy playing with a overdriven guitar an d on the right you have Slash with a more distorted type sound....

keep on shufflin
Chunkie
Headliner

Here Today... DEAD Tomorow

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 12:20:17 PM »

I miss the old Rock 70's Distortion sound (overdrive?) that jimmy page (one of those (Led Zeppelin for those who have no idea) Nice guitarists) used...

Dont get confused....

I am

God damn Slash The Man
darkmonth
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 12:59:37 PM »

if you take the use your illusion albums you can hear the difference beetween overdrive and distortion, on the left side you have Izzy playing with a overdriven guitar an d on the right you have Slash with a more distorted type sound....

see, you have kind of pointed out what I meant ...

overdrive... distortion.... same thing.... different sound perhaps...

listen to Izzy's side... lower than Slash's, it's got an 'overdriven' sound to it.  And Slash's has a 'distortion' sound...

however, both guitarists were using Marshalls and Vox amps being driven by the tubes in the amp.... Slash doesn't use distortion pedals....

The terms are both used for pretty much the same thing.  Distortion is used as a term, perhaps to describe a more heavily distorted sound than the classic distortion used by 70's rockers...
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 05:13:57 PM »

I always thought they were the exact same thing its just that some amps had Overdrive on it and others had some other word for it. Like my Peavey had Lead on it which in essence is distortion. (or overdrive, whichever one you prefer)

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
So Relax
Opening Act

Have another Beer!!

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 09:49:32 AM »

PLS correct me if I'm wrong but in the front of the guitar book for AFD it says with the exception of Wah and chorus there is no other effects.  the amps Slash used/uses had the gain turned up which is more of an overdriven sound than distortion.  My opinion of the difference between the two - not getting technical here tho.  The sounds of Slash, Angus young, Jimmy Page are more overdrive.  Listen carefully in the live shows (and even AFD studio) and you'll hear although when solos come in the guitars are loud there is only a little extra gain, this seems to create a more bluesy, earthy, heavy picking with distinct intonation sound. distortion on the other hand as used by metallica, pantera etc and most nu metal, rap/metal acts of today seems to have a more airy, yet tighter sound but less distinct intonation thus appears to flow better and mistakes are easier to cover up.  Obviously they are very similar and many sounds in between the two.

Peace out
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004, 04:19:46 PM »

I miss the old Rock 70's Distortion sound (overdrive?) that jimmy page (one of those (Led Zeppelin for those who have no idea) Nice guitarists) used...

Dont get confused....

I am

you can get that sound easily if you use very little "contour" You'll notice the difference immediately. I'm too lazy now to see what the exact set-up is with "bass" "treble" and "gain" but just try out some buttons on you amp. Especially low contour and gain  Smiley I love that old sound too btw. Since I've Been Loving You gives great example  Cheesy

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
darkmonth
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 05:36:23 PM »

70's rock sounds, generated by thrashing an old Marshall valve amp to 10 are easily achievable on modern marshalls and equivalents.

Just adjust your settings.  You wont get a true sound from a solid or valvestate amp but you can get an emulation.
Chunkie
Headliner

Here Today... DEAD Tomorow

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 12:31:50 PM »

Can i get the sound with a Kustom Quad 65 DFX? and my Epi LEs pual standard?

God damn Slash The Man
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 03:47:19 PM »

PLS correct me if I'm wrong but in the front of the guitar book for AFD it says with the exception of Wah and chorus there is no other effects.
Yes, but his guitars also say Gibson on, and he used to say in interviews he used Jim Dunlop Wahs.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: