Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:23:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  duff claims VR is more talented than gnr
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: duff claims VR is more talented than gnr  (Read 83683 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2004, 05:19:52 PM »

It seems like he's saying VR are more even than GN'R was. GN'R were magic some nights and others they weren't.

What's the big deal? Of course he's gonna say VR is great. Everybody says their latest album and/or current band is the best thing they ever did.

/jarmo

Exactly.. It's the same when tommy says gnr is more advanced now.. Dave will believe this without hearing cd.. The mebers of their new grouips are just being positve... I believe duff is just proud of himself now..
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2004, 05:20:35 PM »

I mentioned this a while back on newgnr.com, but the more Slash and Duff come out in the media and say things like this, it just makes them look stupid.  I used to like Slash and Duff, but everytime they suggest how their band is better then the old gnr, or Axl is just fucked up, I lose a lot of respect for them.  It seems like every other week, the old members have their little digs about Axl, and the new or old band.  I'm tired of it all.  It's almost like there scared of when Chinese Democracy will hit, because when it does, everybody will finally know that Axl is the real genious here.  If the ex-members of GNR are so into VR and like it that much, then they should keep it that way.  They  should let GNR go, because they seem pretty damn excited to be working with Scott in VR.  But the reality of it is, is that they can't let it go.  They really want to be in GNR deep down.  You can tell this by the things they say.  It was only a couple of years ago when Slash said that if Axl called, he would rejoin him, and the same with Duff.  Slash and Duff keep hearing the hype and the rumors about Chinese Democracy and they are getting nervous, and jelous. 

Do I blame The ex-members?  No, GNR was like a family to them.  Whenever you get that close to something or somebody, it is hard to let go.  However, they shouldn't have been so nieve in the first place and quit the band.  Dizzy knows, Matt knows, Slash knows, Izzy knows, Duff knows, and everybody else who ever worked in GNR knows that Axl is the General.  Without Axl, the group and name GNR would would have never have been as huge.  Axl has made everyone in that band.  Slash, Duff, and Matt just made a bad decision in life and now they have to deel with it.           

peace and rock on

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Sterlingdog
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2004, 05:22:16 PM »

What's the big deal? Of course he's gonna say VR is great. Everybody says their latest album and/or current band is the best thing they ever did.

/jarmo

I agree completely.? I just thought the funniest thing was that he said Velvet Relover would be the band, if any, that could be as big as G N' R.? Could he really believe that?
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2004, 05:23:38 PM »

Let me say this.
Duff (and slash) should choose their words more carefully then, because a lot of people reading this article are going to come to the same conclusion as me and others, that think he is saying vr is more talented than the old gnr, and yes some others will see it the way you are mike.? T hey just need to stop bring up the old band and axl in all their interviews, and if the interviewer asks them a question, just say no comment, or IM in VR now not gnr.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2004, 05:28:14 PM »

I don't agree with you  peeps, if they stayed they'd still be sittting around waiting.  The only reason they mention the old group is for the same reason tommy mentions cd all the time of late, because they get interviewed and asked about all these things..

Is it so hard to believe they're happy where they are..? They've been there done that, btm said if it was equal terms they would think about joining.. The guys are out there being interviewed dealing witht the press, axl is missing, it's unfair to compare the guys and say you lose respect becaused they're not in some vcave hiding, they deal with what's going on..

Axl gets interviews from the biggest groupie ever kurt loder so the interviews are tame.. Only with gnr could someone lose more respect for the old guys who actually get out, tour, play, give interviews then to someone who is never around and does none of those things..

I don't think they care about cd, it could have been released at anytime and they would have played..
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2004, 05:30:49 PM »

I don't agree with you? peeps, if they stayed they'd still be sittting around waiting.? The only reason they mention the old group is for the same reason tommy mentions cd all the time of late, because they get interviewed and asked about all these things..

Is it so hard to believe they're happy where they are..? They've been there done that, btm said if it was equal terms they would think about joining.. The guys are out there being interviewed dealing witht the press, axl is missing, it's unfair to compare the guys and say you lose respect becaused they're not in some vcave hiding, they deal with what's going on..

Axl gets interviews from the biggest groupie ever kurt loder so the interviews are tame.. Only with gnr could someone lose more respect for the old guys who actually get out, tour, play, give interviews then to someone who is never around and does none of those things..

I don't think they care about cd, it could have been released at anytime and they would have played..

There is a difference between tommy talking about CD and slash or duff talking about guns n roses.
Tommy is in guns n roses and CD is their album.
That would be like you saying slash and duff shouldnt talk about contraband.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2004, 05:31:58 PM »

Let me say this.
Duff (and slash) should choose their words more carefully then, because a lot of people reading this article are going to come to the same conclusion as me and others, that think he is saying vr is more talented than the old gnr, and yes some others will see it the way you are mike.? T hey just need to stop bring up the old band and axl in all their interviews, and if the interviewer asks them a question, just say no comment, or IM in VR now not gnr.

I've been following eevry vr interview when I can watch tehm, and if you see them through europe you'll see everyone that interviewed them brought up gnr, or axl.. It's not like they sat around just talking about him and his actions, or whatever else.. Part of being in a group like gnr and moving on is getting these questions asked..

I say it's two bands now, at one time or another everyone loved the old group so leave it at that. an interview means nothing.. Lets say duff fells his band can be the biggest since old gnr, then why shouldn't he?? I bet you feel new gnr will be bigger then anyone out tehre since the old gnr.. ? That's ok though, and you haven't even heard one album yet..
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2004, 05:33:45 PM »

I don't agree with you? peeps, if they stayed they'd still be sittting around waiting.? The only reason they mention the old group is for the same reason tommy mentions cd all the time of late, because they get interviewed and asked about all these things..

There is a difference between tommy talking about CD and slash or duff talking about guns n roses.
Tommy is in guns n roses and CD is their album.
That would be like you saying slash and duff shouldnt talk about contraband.

Put it this way, duff and slash will be asked more about gnr today then tommy would.. All I'm saying is that they can't avoid it because it was a huge band they were apart of..
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2004, 05:35:05 PM »

It seems like he's saying VR are more even than GN'R was. GN'R were magic some nights and others they weren't.

A sign of a truly dangerous band hihi

/jarmo

And that's that!

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2004, 05:39:07 PM »

I agree with Jarmo, what's the BFD? Yeah of course he's gonna say VR is gonna be bigger than old GN'R and stuff. It's not like he's gonna come up and say: "yeah our album is ok and we're pretty good live but I have to say we kicked more ass when we were in GN'R." He's gonna say they're going to dominate the world, etc. He's promoting his album and his band, that's normal. I don't see it as a negative comment. I see it as something taken out of context and disproportionate. All I'm gonna say is that the comparison with old/new GN'R is not necessary (but still normal), he should maybe compare VR to today's bands.

Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2004, 05:43:29 PM »

No need to get our pants in a knot. I think he just totally misuses the word "talent".

He probably meant their playing abilities as musicians, which depend on their level of sobriety, whereas talent is a continuous thing.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2004, 05:48:59 PM »

I would like to know the exact context Duff was speaking in.

If he meant live they are at the top of their game better that makes sense, that as an overall band they are better, meaning each member has an equal say whereas GNR was Axl's way i may agree, but if he is speaking musically he is way way wrong.

Slash's guitar work compared to his work on GNR albums is slightly above mediocre.

Im a huge Slash fan and i consider him an all time top 5 guitarist but like ive stated in other threads, his solos on the ballads are more "so fine,yesterday" than NR,estranged,scom or KOHD

So in that regards Duff would be wrong he has zero basslines on CB that compare to RQ,RNDTH,SCOM or Coma

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Dizzy
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2004, 06:28:31 PM »

In other words, he's saying Dave is better than Izzy and Scott is better than Axl.

No he isn't.? He kept using the word "we", so he obviously meant the band as a whole, not individual members.? Try reading more carefully.

Duff is basically stating that contraband is better than AFD and the UYIs.

No he isn't.? He was obviously talking about their stage performance, since he made reference to the way they were drinking and using drugs.

Do You really think the live shows that VR puts out in 2003/04 are better than than the shows that gnr put on from 87-93?

VR blows away GNR's live shows in 1992 and 1993.? Just watch the UYI DVDs.  They were banal, as the entire band was just going through the motions.? After Izzy and Steven were gone, the old band didn't have it live-wise anymore.? However, I will concur that up until 1991, the original GNR will never be equaled by anyone, be it VR or Axl's new band.? So I disagree with Duff even though I understand what he means.

The ritz show in 88, which is widely reguarded as one of the best gnr shows ever,? has VR played a better show than that?

Nope.? There will never be a better show than that from any former GNR members unless they're all together again.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 06:38:59 PM by Dizzy » Logged
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2004, 07:12:59 PM »

In other words, he's saying Dave is better than Izzy and Scott is better than Axl.

No he isn't.? He kept using the word "we", so he obviously meant the band as a whole, not individual members.? Try reading more carefully.

No he isn't.? He was obviously talking about their stage performance, since he made reference to the way they were drinking and using drugs.

Do You really think the live shows that VR puts out in 2003/04 are better than than the shows that gnr put on from 87-93?

VR blows away GNR's live shows in 1992 and 1993.? Just watch the UYI DVDs.? They were banal, as the entire band was just going through the motions.? After Izzy and Steven were gone, the old band didn't have it live-wise anymore.? However, I will concur that up until 1991, the original GNR will never be equaled by anyone, be it VR or Axl's new band.? So I disagree with Duff even though I understand what he means.

The ritz show in 88, which is widely reguarded as one of the best gnr shows ever,? has VR played a better show than that?

Nope.? There will never be a better show than that from any former GNR members unless they're all together again.

That toyko show was just one show not what the whole tour was like.
Look at gnrs last show ever in argentina, that show was simply amazing.
Guns n roses put on over 3 hr shows back in the UYI days, what does VR play for like 45mins to an hour now?>
come no now.
Even if duff thinks they are a better live band from the vids i have seen or heard of vr, they are not better live than the old band. 

damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2004, 07:39:00 PM »

VR blows away GNR's live shows in 1992 and 1993.? Just watch the UYI DVDs.? They were banal, as the entire band was just going through the motions.? After Izzy and Steven were gone, the old band didn't have it live-wise anymore.? However, I will concur that up until 1991, the original GNR will never be equaled by anyone, be it VR or Axl's new band.? So I disagree with Duff even though I understand what he means.

I can't believe you actually think VR live is better than GNR?  What are you smoking? 

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2004, 07:40:01 PM »

Guns n roses put on over 3 hr shows back in the UYI days, what does VR play for like 45mins to an hour now

Yeah, if it's a festival. Their own headlining shows have been around 80 minutes or so.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2004, 07:52:15 PM »

Guns n roses put on over 3 hr shows back in the UYI days, what does VR play for like 45mins to an hour now

Yeah, if it's a festival. Their own headlining shows have been around 80 minutes or so.

/jarmo

Very true, as for dave dude I went to the 2002 tour at msg and the shows werwe 2 hours, this was including all teh tons of new material they had.. I felt tehy could have definetly cut one of those opening acts and did more of their own stuff..

Vr has been doing soime good setlists, some shows are longer then others.. You say 45 minutes to an hour but that more when they aren't the headliners, they played a few festival as mentioned..

Besides to stay on topic I still don't understand how you interpet eevrything new gnr can possibly say but you can't get what duff says? He's just saying the guys play better now because they're clean.. It's real simple dude..

Also if he feels that the band he's in is the best thing since gnr then that's his right to..It's not like he and the others weren't a few reasons the old band was so good..

Topics like this get blown way out of context, ever board I've seen it someone goes wacky over it.. Just take a second to read it and it makes sence.. Wink

Dave you also seem to forget the idea they sign autographs and get involved with the fans,take pics (not all shows) when I saw new gnr they were on and off quick..Revolver plays alot of songs, just gnr's songs are longer so it's about equal..Parts of the gnr show was waiting for axl to come around with the piano..
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2004, 07:53:12 PM »

Some of you treat these musicians like wrestlers from the WWF lol Like you have to pick sides and have to argue your guy's case for them.

What is wrong with these people - adults.  Having opinons??  At least when they are asked, they give their honest and fair opinion.  They don't go telling people what they can or cant ask.

It doesn't matter if you or i don't agree with it.  But you can't let it distract that you like their records and talents lol It's madness.

We all here give our opinions and discuss details of their lives everyday. Why can't they give their opinions on matters that ARE their lives and have been important and personal in their lives like GN'R was?  We are just observers. He actually helped create the reason why we are all here.  Give the guy some repsect.  Certain people are digging in deep to every comment or action made by Ex-GNR guys, creating this  VR vs GNR thing that for most of us does not exist. 

He has been there, done it and lived it. Give him that respect. They are not going to know who you or I are. If you lose interest in them, they are not going to notice are they?

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2004, 08:04:22 PM »

I think it's obvious that he means VR is more technically prolific than in the wasted Guns days.  More "talented" was the wrong word to use though.  But hey, what do you expect him to say?  Things were better when I was drunk and my new band will never be as good as the old one? 
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2004, 08:22:48 PM »

It's a more talented band that we have now, much more talented than Guns ever was

Now make an album to prove it.

As players we weren't really maximising our potential.
Thats why you and the redhead have parted ways.

So, as far as aggression and talent are concerned, this is a much better band.
Thats fine. If you think you are more professional and play much bette rnowadays, I have no proble. They say experience makes you wise...

But that last part about the talent is comical. I dont care if you hate Axl with a passion. Old GNR skates circles around VR. Its not even an issue. And lets not forget someone named Izzy. Tlak about talent....
Duff, you have a nice lil band. Lets not drink too much of the coolaide....

I don't know if another band will ever achieve the kind of world domination Guns N' Roses managed. But if they do, it's going to be us
Sorry but that aint happening buddy. Not even new gnr will reach what the old band once did. FOr starters its a completely different musical landscape. And you also need a ground breaking album as well.

I dont have much of a problem with what Duff said other than the fact that hes putting down old gnr. Ill take a fucked up old gnr band over "experienced" VR any day. But as jarmo said. Its not that big of a deal. Usually everyone talks a big game when they have something current out. Too bad the music side doesnt match the chatter.

Vr has been doing soime good setlists,
I havnt been following them closely lately but when I was the set/ and the Weiland chatter? was the same.

Topics like this get blown way out of context, ever board I've seen it someone goes wacky over it.. Just take a second to read it and it makes sence
I could only imagine if Axl said something like this

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: