Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 08:57:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Doors
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Doors  (Read 19438 times)
blowin smoke
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2006, 02:30:32 PM »

What a band? What a frontman?
All the songs they did, if released today would stand up against any of the current bands and artists.
Riders of the Storm and Roadhouse blues for me.

no time for questions, no time for games. Start kickin' ass and taking down names!
FortusGNR21
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2006, 06:12:31 PM »

Absolutely awesome band, from the psychadelica of Strange Days to the stripped down blue of Morrison Hotel and LA Woman! Morrison had so much to give, such a shame for his candle to burn out so early! As a lyricist, there are few better!

And The Stone film sucked, It portrayed a troubled but caring, sensitive, funny and incredibly talented poet as nothing but a egotistical drunk!? Angry

And I also like Riders On The Storm, Astbury is a great frontman and I enjoyed them when I went to see them in Glasgow a couple of years ago! Remember that Jim didn't write any of the Doors music, so I don't see why Ray and Robby can't go out and play the music they created. Jims words are being sung, I kinda feel like the poet in Jim would be happy for his words to be brought to a new generation? Smiley
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 09:11:10 AM by FortusGNR21 » Logged

I get up around 7, get outta bed around 9, and I don't worry bout nothin no because worryin's a waste of my fuckin time!
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2006, 06:59:54 PM »

I appreciate the Doors. love
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2006, 07:26:54 AM »

Best.Band.Ever.

Its a shame now that Manzarek and Krieger seem intent on raping the wallets of their fans and spewing out endless reissues etc. Also dragging the name through the mud with Ian Astbury doesnt help either.

Too many bands tarnish their legacy these days dont they. Nothing to do with this site of course.

Fave tunes: The Crystal Ship, When the Musics Over, LA Woman. Amongst others....

beer

I can't stand that Ian fucker on vocals to Doors tunes man. I bought the live dvd, and couldn't even watch the full fucking thing. Idiot.
Ray is a fucking sell out. And Morrison is rolling in his grave right now.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
SuperMike
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2006, 03:57:54 PM »

And The Stone film sucked, It portrayed a troubled but caring, sensitive, funny and incredibly talented poet as nothing but a egotistical drunk!? Angry

I don't like that movie at all either. And I actually think that movie turned people off from giving their music a chance. I've heard quite a few people say "Nah, I don't like that band after I saw that movie about them, the lead-singer was a real asshole."
Decadence
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2006, 09:31:42 AM »

I fucking love The Doors!  Well done whoever opened this thread Smiley

I'd be hard pushed to choose between GnR and The Doors, to be honest. 

I also went to Jim's grave in Paris a couple of years ago and wrote a little bit about being there and the thoughts I had about it.  Here it is, for anyone who's interested:

A thousand riders on the storm and their cameras, each lining up for their chance to pose with the Lizard King in his final guise.  Gone are the leather trousers and long hair, the flares, the beads and the peace signs. 

One person remains as a reminder of the King's original court.  An ageing hippy in faded denim and tie dye bears his idol's face across his chest in a gesture that borders on the arrogant. 

Seems Jim ain't the only one to notice the shift in mourners. 

Now, Mr Mojo Rising is attended by hordes of foreigners standing proud and ignorant in their shorts and designer tshirts.  Not one toast is raised, few flowers are laid. 

Instead, jovial tourists line the grave, grinning inanely for the camera.

The gravestone is covered by a sheet of white paper.  A backpacker is chalking.

Letter by letter, Morrison's final resting place is revealed.

Bringing to mind a resurrection...

Oh, and fuck the Stone film.  Read 'Strange Days' by Patricia Kennealy Morrison.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2006, 09:46:33 AM »

I thought that was great. Almost channelled Jim there ok

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Decadence
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2006, 10:11:45 AM »

I thought that was great. Almost channelled Jim there ok

Thanks, dude Cheesy
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2006, 02:19:55 AM »

I don't like that movie at all either. And I actually think that movie turned people off from giving their music a chance. I've heard quite a few people say "Nah, I don't like that band after I saw that movie about them, the lead-singer was a real asshole."

I on the other hand, fucking love the movie. I know that is wasn't really true, but yes Jim did act like an asshole from time to time though. I just enjoy the movie for what it is. Fuck, it could be about a fictional character and still be good.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
Melrose Chick
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2006, 05:55:15 AM »

From what Ive read Jim preferred the 'back' doors if you know what I mean..... hihi
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2006, 01:11:18 PM »

From what Ive read Jim preferred the 'back' doors if you know what I mean..... hihi

Really...?  Grin
Decadence
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2006, 01:49:58 PM »

Really...?? Grin

I think Jim Morrison had no preference, he'd probably just take any 'door' that came his way, back or front Wink  Rock n roll's all about experimentation, y'know Wink
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2006, 02:44:42 PM »

Was it the cover of "Back Door Man" that gave you the first clue?

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
guitarpatch
Headliner

"Holding back the Big Guns!"

« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2006, 07:02:07 PM »

Just to give some Doors updates. The Doors had a 40th anniversary party in LA last week, to celebrate the release of the The Doors Box set and their new book. Lots of cool people showed up, including Slash. There are some photos floating around the web I think. John Densmore, the drummer, has a new project called Tribaljazz. Their myspace www.myspace.com/tribaljazzdensmore, has an interesting cover of Riders on the Storm. The celebrations were held at The Whiskey, The Cat Club, and Book soup on the Sunset Set Strip. It was cool to see the remaining members being civil, and could celebrate this occasion together.

Aerosmith, DreamTheater, Jeff Beck, Andres Segovia, Leo Brouwer, Guns, and Bach. Oh yeah, Bach, what else to you need in Life?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2008, 06:47:44 AM »

Time to ressurect the doors thread.

I watched the doors movie last night, loved it, i love the way its filmed i know people say its historically inaccurate but if you look at it just as a movie and a story its brilliant.

Now heres a question, The doors basslines are importent to alot of there songs, especially riders of the storm, but they didnt actually have a bass player so how did they do it live :S

html sucks
Angel Down
Banned
Rocker

Some Kinda Magic

« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2008, 06:49:12 AM »

Why, that would be Ray on the keyboard.

(I watched The Doors movie in a cinema with just 5 people........good visuals on the big screen)!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:50:50 AM by Angel Down » Logged

War is over, if you want it.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2008, 06:54:03 AM »

(I watched The Doors movie in a cinema with just 5 people........good visuals on the big screen)!

He plays the bass parts as well as the keyboard parts at the same time on the organ machine?

damn he must be a good multi tasker!!

Visuals LOL, i tell ya, that desert scene is enough to make someone naturally high!

html sucks
Angel Down
Banned
Rocker

Some Kinda Magic

« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2008, 06:57:38 AM »

Um..........I was talking about Val.  rofl

War is over, if you want it.
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2008, 11:19:53 AM »

There was never the intent to have a bass player live until "L.A. Woman" was released. Unfortunately that tour didnt happen with Jim.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2008, 04:14:09 AM »

He plays the bass parts as well as the keyboard parts at the same time on the organ machine?

damn he must be a good multi tasker!!

Visuals LOL, i tell ya, that desert scene is enough to make someone naturally high!

No, he's got  a bass which sits on top of his organ. He plays the organ with his right and the bass with his left.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: