Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 04:03:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228059 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Prince
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prince  (Read 82631 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #220 on: April 07, 2009, 09:17:59 PM »

Love the album

needs a video and single for "U're Gonna C Me"

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #221 on: June 11, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »

SPIN Mag Goes Crazy With Free 'Purple Rain' Tribute Album

June 11, 2009 11:41 AM ET

David J. Prince, N.Y.

SPIN magazine is going crazy with its July issue, celebrating the 25th anniversary of Prince's "Purple Rain" with a comprehensive oral history of the film and album and a free downloadable tribute that features nine bands doing song-for-song covers of the record's classic tracks.

Dubbed "Purplish Rain," the nine song tribute album boasts a real coup: Apollonia, the one-time Prince protege who starred in the film, contributes a cover of "When Doves Cry" that she recorded with Greg Dulli and his band, the Twilight Singers. Other cover versions on the album include Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings doing "Take Me With U," Of Montreal's take on "Computer Blue," a punk-mariachi version of "I Would Die 4 U" and Lavender Diamond's rendition of the title track.

The Apollonia/Dulli duet is currently streaming at SPIN.com, and the full downloadable album will be available when the magazine hits the streets on June 23. The album download is free, but a clue from the magazine article will be required for access.

"We approached a bunch of bands, and we got nine who were really into it," Doug Brod, SPIN's Editor told Billboard.com. "All these bands did it for free - they paid for all of their recording time and they mastered all the tracks themselves." Unlike several other Prince cover records that have run afoul of The Artist's wishes, SPIN cleared all of the tracks and are covering the royalty expenses.

The 10-page oral history was compiled and written by Brian Raftery, who spoke to most of the key participants in the original project, including Wendy and Lisa, other members of the Revolution and the Time, Bob Cavallo (the film's producer and Prince's manager at the time), director Albert Magnoli, and the original screenplay writer William Blinn. Prince and the Time's main man Morris Day did not participate.

"We did a full court press to get Prince himself involved," said Brod. "He's a pretty tough guy to get a hold of, and he doesn't dwell much on nostalgia."

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/spin-mag-goes-crazy-with-free-purple-rain-1003983658.story

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #222 on: August 03, 2009, 09:20:19 PM »

Not Prince himself, but.

jimmyfallon - Incubus and the Roots celebrate 25th anniversary of Purple Rain by playing "Let's Go Crazy" on Late Night tonight. It's gonna be sick.
about 6 hours ago from Tweetie

jimmyfallon - Due to publishing $$ - we can't air this song on repeats or the web, so tonights a must see for fans of Incubus, the Roots or Prince.
about 6 hours ago from Tweetie

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #223 on: August 21, 2009, 01:36:41 PM »

listening to his B-sides disk

This shit is AWESOME. Really funked out Prince!
Erotic City is awesome

html sucks
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »

listening to his B-sides disk

This shit is AWESOME. Really funked out Prince!
Erotic City is awesome

Yeah it should've been on Purple Rain

Listen to:
Irresistable Bitch
17 Days is one of the best Prince Songs ever
God is awesome
Scarlet Pussy
She's Always in My Hair

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #225 on: September 24, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »

Due to Jacksons death.

There wasnt much attention paid to the 25th Anniversary of Purple Rain.

Did they release a special edition version of the album to coincide with this?

html sucks
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #226 on: September 28, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »

i heard a bootleg of Prince covering Radiohead.

Needless to say it was awesome. So i went n checked Radiohead out, and then found out they sucked. Shame.

html sucks
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #227 on: September 28, 2009, 11:55:13 PM »

Needless to say it was awesome. So i went n checked Radiohead out, and then found out they sucked. Shame.

Do u have this boot?

Id kill to hear it

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #228 on: September 29, 2009, 09:12:20 AM »

Do u have this boot?

Id kill to hear it
Apparently he officiallly posted a pro shot video of it on LotusFlower website. Unfortunately the website isnt working anymore.

so im stuck with google video cam boots of it. But the full length ones are pretty good audio.

html sucks
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #229 on: November 04, 2009, 07:49:58 AM »

Yknow.

Around the World in a Day.

Is definitely a disappointing follow up to Purple Rain.

But i think the album is misunderstood, and intrigueing.

Prince never really toured for this album or played many of the songs live.  Listening to the album more. This is a one of a kind Prince album. He never did anything like this before or after. Its a very 60s inspired album. I hear alot of influences, from The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" to The Beatles "Sgt Pepper". Its quite a psychedelic album, i think perhaps if Prince had spent a little more time on it, it would of been a more focused and acclaimed effort.

What do you guys think? (I guess thats you, D. haha)

html sucks
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #230 on: December 18, 2009, 10:02:32 PM »

Just finishing up spinning the Gold Experience on vinyl in its entirety. Gold is blasting as I type.  My favorite Prince song, my favorite Prince band, my favorite Prince album.  Brilliant.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #231 on: December 19, 2009, 06:55:26 AM »

It is one awesome album.

I think Pussy Control is a little bit out of place and silly though.

"Say it, pussy control. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PUSSY CONTROL...OW"

html sucks
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #232 on: December 19, 2009, 11:14:27 AM »

Pussy Control is THE club song

Gold Experience is my 3rd fave Prince album behind Emancipation,Purple Rain

There is a brilliant song on Around The World in A Day called "The Ladder" 

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #233 on: December 19, 2009, 12:09:18 PM »

everybodys lookin for the ladder something something salvation of the soulll.

haha

html sucks
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #234 on: January 08, 2010, 09:21:38 AM »

FINALLY found a copy of Lotus Flower on Vinyl!  I was skeptical any copies were ever pressed since the release was a Target exclusive.  I had to pay a premium for it but am excited.  It had been the only Prince album I never purchased up until that point. Since Chinese's release I have been a "if it doesn't come out on vinyl, I don't buy it" snob.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!

« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2010, 01:52:32 AM »

Prince is the man! I've been into him since his early albums (pre-"1999" -- the album, not the year; i'm gettin old). Back when he wrote, produced, performed every instrument, etc.  He is a musical genius and IMO one of the most underrated rock guitarists of all time (only because he cannot be classified as a rock -- or any other genre -- musician). Check out his performance of "While My guitar Gently Weeps" on youtube from the rock and roll hall of fame ceremony. His entire band is awesome in concert. I would love to hear him record a song with GnR (as a guitar player)

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2010, 09:10:06 AM »

Damn Prince and Axl Rose working together, i doubt theyd even end up meeting up let alone working together. Their egos would auto cancel any progress out.

"i want to work in my studio!"

"no, i want to work in my studio!"

haha.

Anyways, been listening to the Come album recently. Love that track Loose, unlike anything Prince has ever done.

html sucks
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2010, 09:39:03 AM »

Prince is the man! I've been into him since his early albums (pre-"1999" -- the album, not the year; i'm gettin old). Back when he wrote, produced, performed every instrument, etc.  He is a musical genius and IMO one of the most underrated rock guitarists of all time (only because he cannot be classified as a rock -- or any other genre -- musician). Check out his performance of "While My guitar Gently Weeps" on youtube from the rock and roll hall of fame ceremony. His entire band is awesome in concert. I would love to hear him record a song with GnR (as a guitar player)

It is his guitar playing that made me such a fan, along with all the other talents as you mentioned.  I live in the Twin Cities, so Ihad the chance to see Prince live over 35 times, 30 of which were at Paisley Park, over half were for free.  The first time I went to see him at Paisley Park I thought Prince had some fun tunes, but put him in the "pop" catergory of Michael Jackson, etc....boy was I wrong......when he broke out the guitar I was hooked, best live guitar player I have ever heard.  Tastier to me than Slash, VH, anyone...

I don't know if it is by design, but his studio work does not do his guitar playing justice, which is why many don't know how great of a guitar player he is. My brother in law is a pretty decent guitar player, and a while back I popped in disc 3 from "One night Alone" live, which started with Joy in Repitition....he asks...wow...who is this...I say Prince...his jaw dropped and he didn't believe me...needless to say he has since been converted...That Rock N Roll hall of fame performance was awesome....Prince stole the show...the Super Bowl performance had some great guitar work too...

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2010, 09:40:39 AM »

Damn Prince and Axl Rose working together, i doubt theyd even end up meeting up let alone working together. Their egos would auto cancel any progress out.

"i want to work in my studio!"

"no, i want to work in my studio!"

haha.

Anyways, been listening to the Come album recently. Love that track Loose, unlike anything Prince has ever done.

Not to mention Axl's meticulous nature when it comes to composing, and Prince's write one song a day, record it, and put it out method....that would be be an interesting combo.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #239 on: January 19, 2010, 10:21:26 AM »

Yeah, Princes guitar playing rules, i try to get as many bootleg footage live shows as i can to witness him rip it up.

I got into Prince a few years ago, i was on a school trip and they took us to Planet Hollywood. Some big place where you get alot of American style food and its got all music on and lots of movie posters n models n shit.

While you eat, they have a HUGE TV screen where they play music videos. Well the Purple Rain video came on. I was watching it, what grabbed my attention was Princes cool clothes and guitar. So i started listening aswell as watching and got into the song, and was blown away by the guitar solos on the outro of the song. You can hear the emotion he puts into the guitar solo and it was just great.

Needless to say i went home, stole my dads Purple Rain album and never looked back! Since then ive listened to almost every album he has done, minus some more recent stuff as in my opinion, its not up to standards.

html sucks
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: