Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 03:43:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228017 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Copy bloker on contraband
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Copy bloker on contraband  (Read 19626 times)
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« on: June 02, 2004, 08:33:39 PM »

I read that RCA is puting copy block on the album to prevent burnig and shit.Anyone know any more on this?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 10:10:54 PM by chineseillusions » Logged
Dizzy
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 08:35:42 PM »

Most labels do nowadays, and that's fine with me.  I will shell out my $$$ to buy it, and everyone else can too.
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 08:50:56 PM »

Most labels do nowadays, and that's fine with me.  I will shell out my $$$ to buy it, and everyone else can too.
Well said
Imfuckincrazy
Headliner

Slash is God.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 08:54:50 PM »

Good! Fine with me. I don't want the band getting ripped off. If someone wants the album then they can haul their asses to the stores and buy the damned thing.

I'm a west coast struttin', one bad mother, got a rattle snake suitcase under my arm
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 02:02:06 AM »

I can see the benefits but I disagree. Im not a cheap ass I plan on buying the album, But I want to keep it in my car and sometime cds fall out of the wallet when I keep taking them in and out. I have went through two AFD over the years and now I like to just copy the cd and take the copy with me. This is legal. I dont plan on giving anyone a free copy cause I want VR to succeed. But my legal right to have a copy shouldnt be blocked.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 03:09:00 AM »

Copy protection sucks. When they add it the album stops being a cd....

Great idea. One Foo Fighters "cd" was supposed to unlock all these special features on their site when you put the cd in the CD-drive, instead it just crashed my computer.  no

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
junglegunner
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 06:37:17 AM »

copyright protection? last night there are many contraband copies on IRC mp3 channels ....  rant
darkmonth
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 07:38:34 AM »

Jarmo... copy protection is a good concept.  A shit implementation will ruin it of course... but to stop the masses going out and ripping the bands off, well, if it secures a few more sales and a few less copies, it's worth it
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 07:56:35 AM »

Jarmo... copy protection is a good concept.  A shit implementation will ruin it of course... but to stop the masses going out and ripping the bands off, well, if it secures a few more sales and a few less copies, it's worth it

I'm being punished for buying the album. That's nice.

If I buy it, I want to be able to make copies of it. Some people like to listen to music on their mp3 players while others like to keep burned copies in their car so they don't ruin/lose their original cds.

I still think it sucks.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 08:05:26 AM »

Never understood this copy protection stuff - loads of my albums say it has it on it and yet i am copying them onto computers, burning copies - hell i didn't even realise it was there untill months later.

Doesn't seem to do anything.........

Quick! To the bandwagon!
coondogg
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 08:18:55 AM »

Copy protection sucks. I agree with what others have been saying; I want a copy for the house as well as my car. Plus if I ruin/lose a copy, I can just make another one. Once I buy the cd, those songs are mine. I paid for the right to have them and should not have to buy another one if something happens to it. I understand it's there to prevent people from giving or selling copies to others, but why should someone who does nothing illegal be penalized? Anyway, the few people that would make copies will be offset by the ones dumb enough to buy all of the different color cds.
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 10:55:10 AM »

I agree, copy protection sucks.  I've downloaded some music, but generally speaking, I buy all my music.  I just prefer to have the actual CD.

But, I like to make copies so I don't have to bring my CDs everywhere.  Like jarmo says, it's lame to get punished for buying a CD.  I really don't think the music industry is losing that much money due to copying.  I mean, how many people that take or make a burned CD actually would have purchased the CD anyway?

Not to say burning and giving aways CDs isn't wrong, but I question whether the music industry is actually losing enough money due to CD burning and downloading (instead of because of the shitty, stagnant state of popular music) to fuck over their customers that actually pay money for their music.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2004, 11:20:28 AM »

bullshit! If you know anything about computers then ripping this album shouldn't be a problem  Smiley
liquidvirus
Mechanical Animal
VIP

Gettin Down and Dirrrty

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 11:47:33 AM »

bullshit! If you know anything about computers then ripping this album shouldn't be a problem  Smiley
exactly!
also, the album is already available through most online sites that offer album downloads.
copy protection just fucks up who want to have an MP3 of a song on their on comp.
the people who actualy cause piracy will leak it, regardless.

Life is like a penis most people don't know it
But most people suck so they usually blow it.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 11:50:23 AM »

Its easy to hack that blocker.
Just use a black marker around the edge of the cd and there ya go its off.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 11:56:56 AM »

Like liquidvirus is saying, whether it's possible to actually grab the music isn't the issue.  Of course almost all copy protection is easy to get past, but does your grandma know to hit shift, or use the black marker, or whatever other little trick?  Probably not.

The people that are doing the massive piracy are going to get past the protection anyway, and basically the only people that are prevented are probably doing something completely legal anyway (like ripping to their own computer)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 11:58:58 AM by loretian » Logged

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 01:01:51 PM »

I think that's dumb too. Obviously like someone said if you know how to use a computer you will be able to make a copy, but that's not the point. The point is you should be able to make a hassle-free copy of your own CD you b-o-u-g-h-t, like for your car, for different stereos in your house or whatever. I think this is fucked up, and like many said, it actually doesn't even change anything, because those who are responsible for the piracy will just find a way to hack that "protection". In the end those who are screwed are the persons with little computer knowledge. That's not the way it should be.

Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 03:15:44 PM »

I think an artists' intentions are in the right place when they use the copy blockers, but unfortunately it becomes a hassle for the fans with innocent intentions. It's sad that the innocent have to suffer because of a handful of greedy people. Especially when those greedy people will find away around it, so in the end it just becomes pointless.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2004, 01:18:47 AM »

There is one simple solution to stop piracy of albums.
Simply make the albums cheaper.
In a lot of places a CD cost between 14.99-1799 that is a fucking riff off and why people steal music.

Yes you can get cds for about 10.99 at best buy and such but giant music chains you cannot.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
bill213
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2004, 03:41:42 AM »

I'm like very sure that this album doesn't have a copyright.  I admit I did download it from a person who has it and copied it to mp3 easily.  I'm still gonna buy it but lets say I couldn't wait.  But yeah he said it burned easily......it's the UK version with the Bodies from El Rey on it
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: