Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 04:36:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Formula One 2005 season thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Formula One 2005 season thread  (Read 130086 times)
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2005, 05:44:14 PM »

These past couple of races Kimi has just freakin' exploded on everybody. Shocked yes

ok

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2005, 06:01:58 PM »

Barrichello tired of support role

Ferrari's Rubens Barrichello has warned team-mate Michael Schumacher not to expect any favours in Sunday's European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring.
The Brazilian was angry after being overtaken by the world champion on the last lap in Monaco, a move he feared would knock both cars out of the race.

"I'm no longer in the situation of 2002 when I had to give him the win in Austria," said Barrichello.

"I'm racing in Germany with a clear objective: to win the Grand Prix."

Schumacher's controversial last-lap overtaking manoeuvre in Monaco also drew fierce criticism from his brother, Ralf.

But it is Barrichello's reaction which is the most significant.

The Brazilian has played second fiddle to Schumacher for several years and famously slowed down during the Austrian GP in 2002 to allow the German to pass and win.

"Michael and I have had two, three or four situations of this kind," said Barrichello.

"I have always had to think in two ways: to think of what I should do for him and what I should do for the team.

"In future I will consider him not as a team-mate but a driver like any other."

http://news.bbc.co.uk

I wonder what Rubens will say once he is ordered to let Michael pass (again).....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2005, 09:55:13 AM »

A Williams in the pole position. Wonder what kind of strategy they have? They have improved since Imola, so it's not a surprise that they're up there.

I think Toyota might be on a lighter fuel load than the rest of the top cars.

We'll see tomorrow.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2005, 06:07:16 AM »

A Williams in the pole position. Wonder what kind of strategy they have? They have improved since Imola, so it's not a surprise that they're up there.

I think Toyota might be on a lighter fuel load than the rest of the top cars.

We'll see tomorrow.

/jarmo

Lighter fuel load for williams as well. Their strategy is mainly marketing. Williams is german right? well, there you have it. They've done nothing this other than a second and third place last week. Now with qualies back on only-saturdays, the newspapers today have announced Williams first pole of the year.

As in the last few races, kimi is the guy to beat. Montoya is also there...

My guess

1.- Kimi
2.-Montoya
3.-Alonso
4.-Trully
5.-Webber
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2005, 06:30:49 AM »

Williams is English, but their engine supplier BMW is German.

Just like McLaren's engine supplier Mercedes.

Toyota is based in Cologne, Germany.

/jarmo

Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2005, 09:44:18 AM »

My comments on the latest race:

FUCKING HELL.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2005, 09:53:08 AM »

This year's over.....

It was interesting for a short while. Now McLaren has given the championship to Alonso by not giving Kimi a reliable car at the start of the season.

/jarmo

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2005, 10:32:26 AM »

All I can say is what a race!  Shocked

Bad luck for kimi, but then again, he had blocked his tyres twice early on, so that may explain what happened.

As for Alonso, he did what he had to do. After the first pit lane stop, he?s been the fastest overall. Fast lap included. He pushed Kimi and that may have been the reason for those two errors I was mentioning earlier. Alonso also lost 4-5 seconds right before his second stop as he didn?t make that turn and had to get back on track.

It?s not over yet. 32 points difference when there are 13 races left?

Alonso?s finished every race, I?m sure he will not complete all the races we have left
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2005, 10:57:11 AM »

Alonso?s finished every race, I?m sure he will not complete all the races we have left

12 races left. 120 points to fight about. 96 points for the second places. So if Kimi by some miracle would win the rest of the races and Fernando was second in all races, it wouldn't be enough.

McLaren needs to start taking bigger risks to win, while Renault don't. They can "cruise" and just make sure they get points. Fernando doesn't have to win races to win the championship.

/jarmo

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2005, 11:21:58 AM »

12 races left. 120 points to fight about. 96 points for the second places. So if Kimi by some miracle would win the rest of the races and Fernando was second in all races, it wouldn't be enough.

/jarmo

Well, that's very unlikely. there's no way Alonso is going to finish every race left. Besides, although Mclaren and Renault are the strongest teams right now, God knows what could happen next. Maybe Ferrari decides is time to do something about it so it's not a two team competition.

Still a long way to go...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2005, 01:05:15 PM »

Still a long way to go...

That's true.

But this was the "worst" thing that could've happened.

/jarmo

John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2005, 01:14:31 PM »

It's not over for Kimi bad sure it doesn't look good and it doesn't help that alonso seems to be in top positions in every race..damn it pissed me off when Alonso showed 4 fingers for his for victories. Alonso was undertaker and would never won that race if it would not have been that accident.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2005, 06:52:23 AM »

when Alonso showed 4 fingers for his for victories.

C'mon! this is Formula 1 racing not the sisters of the poor. Most of these drivers are cocky bastards. Look at Schumi, Button, Montoya, Ralf...they are always doing things like that.

Alonso was undertaker and would never won that race if it would not have been that accident.

I knew somebody was gonna post that sooner or later.

Fact: Kimi and his car had been unbeatable in the past few races.

Fact: Kimi was leading this race from the beginning.

Fact: In Formula 1 every small detail counts.

Kimi's accident wasn't unfortunate. Well, it was cause it happened with 1 lap left to go, but as I said earlier, kimi had locked his tyres early on, so his suspension collapsed after 15-20 laps of vibration. That caused the accident, kimi had made a few mistakes during the race, hence the flat spotted tyre. Alonso had been pushing hard? before pit stop number two (even he made a mistake that cost him about 5 seconds) so Kimi felt a bit pressured. Besides, Alonso had close the gap to 1.5 sec with a lap to go so there's no telling what could've happened.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2005, 07:51:19 AM »

Kimi's accident wasn't unfortunate. Well, it was cause it happened with 1 lap left to go, but as I said earlier, kimi had locked his tyres early on, so his suspension collapsed after 15-20 laps of vibration. That caused the accident, kimi had made a few mistakes during the race, hence the flat spotted tyre. Alonso had been pushing hard? before pit stop number two (even he made a mistake that cost him about 5 seconds) so Kimi felt a bit pressured. Besides, Alonso had close the gap to 1.5 sec with a lap to go so there's no telling what could've happened.

He locked his tyre because he was lapping Villeneuve. It's not the first time lapped cars cause problems in F1. I was surprised to see penalties being given out yesterday for them ignoring the blue flags. I guess the problems were a bit more serious yesterday or something.

Kimi did have some bad luck. Saying otherwise is kinda ridiculous. With a bit of luck, his suspension could've just as well held together for one more lap.

Fortunately he didn't get hurt and the tyre didn't come off the car.

But, it's racing and these things happen. Happened to Mika H?kkinen too back when he was driving for McLaren.? nervous

COULTHARD ATTACKS "DANGEROUS" TYRE RULES

David Coulthard has spoken out against the new-for-2005 tyre rules in the wake of Kimi Raikkonen?s dramatic late race accident at the Nurburgring.

Drivers are no longer allowed to change tyres during the race unless the tyre is damaged.

Raikkonen had badly flat-spotted his right-front tyre and the resultant vibration eventually led to a violent suspension failure on the final lap.

The McLaren team had the option to bring Kimi into the pits for a replacement tyre, but decided to leave him on track as he was leading the race.

?In one way the rules have been good for overtaking and entertainment, but there is no question that it is more dangerous," Coulthard told The Times newspaper.

?It is a major worry.

?The FIA position is that the drivers make the decision, but they are asking us to throw away our races by coming into the change tyres.?

DC revealed that he had suffered tyre problems of his own in the closing stages.

He didn?t consider pitting for new tyres because he was running in such a competitive position.

?I could hardly see from the vibrations late in the race, but I couldn't afford to lose my fourth position,? said Coulthard.

http://www.itv-f1.com

/jarmo

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2005, 08:05:07 AM »

He locked his tyre because he was lapping Villeneuve. It's not the first time lapped cars cause problems in F1. I was surprised to see penalties being given out yesterday for them ignoring the blue flags. I guess the problems were a bit more serious yesterday or something.

Kimi did have some bad luck. Saying otherwise is kinda ridiculous. With a bit of luck, his suspension could've just as well held together for one more lap.

Fortunately he didn't get hurt and the tyre didn't come off the car.

But, it's racing and these things happen. Happened to Mika H?kkinen too back when he was driving for McLaren.? nervous

COULTHARD ATTACKS "DANGEROUS" TYRE RULES

David Coulthard has spoken out against the new-for-2005 tyre rules in the wake of Kimi Raikkonen?s dramatic late race accident at the Nurburgring.

Drivers are no longer allowed to change tyres during the race unless the tyre is damaged.

Raikkonen had badly flat-spotted his right-front tyre and the resultant vibration eventually led to a violent suspension failure on the final lap.

The McLaren team had the option to bring Kimi into the pits for a replacement tyre, but decided to leave him on track as he was leading the race.

?In one way the rules have been good for overtaking and entertainment, but there is no question that it is more dangerous," Coulthard told The Times newspaper.

?It is a major worry.

?The FIA position is that the drivers make the decision, but they are asking us to throw away our races by coming into the change tyres.?

DC revealed that he had suffered tyre problems of his own in the closing stages.

He didn?t consider pitting for new tyres because he was running in such a competitive position.

?I could hardly see from the vibrations late in the race, but I couldn't afford to lose my fourth position,? said Coulthard.

http://www.itv-f1.com

/jarmo

At one stage, there was footage of the Mclaren team getting ready to what appeared to be a tyre replacement. But kimi was in the lead and that would've probably cost him about 15 seconds.

Yeah, it is indeed unfortunate that kimi had the accident with one lap to go, but then again, would alonso have overtaken him had he remained on the track?

If I remember correctly, kimi made two mistakes, not one. TV showed how he had severly locked his tyres twice.

Tell me Jarmo, why would you say they were more serious yesterday with the blue flags?

Slightly off topic....speaking about bad luck, I don't know if you ever heard of rally racing driver Carlos Sainz. Spanish driver, won two world championships but could've won 5 more. Well, the story goes back I think to the late 90's. Last race, Carlos was in the lead, a 2 minute lead, his car stalled with 300 meters left. He lost the championhip in favor of Finnish Mackinenn sp?- It was funny, there were conducting an interview with the finn, he was at the ariport already, talking about his impressions on the championship, when his brother called in the middle of the interview to tell him he had just won the championship. The first thing he said it was.."oh Carlos...."

Anyway, I thought it was just funny to mention that... Cheesy
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2005, 08:10:34 AM »

If I remember correctly, kimi made two mistakes, not one. TV showed how he had severly locked his tyres twice.

I know one of them was lapping Villeneuve.

Tell me Jarmo, why would you say they were more serious yesterday with the blue flags?

Because I saw penalties being given to cars not respecting the flags. I don't recall seeing that in Monaco?

Slightly off topic....speaking about bad luck, I don't know if you ever heard of rally racing driver Carlos Sainz. Spanish driver, won two world championships but could've won 5 more. Well, the story goes back I think to the late 90's. Last race, Carlos was in the lead, a 2 minute lead, his car stalled with 300 meters left. He lost the championhip in favor of Finnish Mackinenn sp?- It was funny, there were conducting an interview with the finn, he was at the ariport already, talking about his impressions on the championship, when his brother called in the middle of the interview to tell him he had just won the championship. The first thing he said it was.."oh Carlos...."

Yeah, I remember that. It was in the RAC rally in the UK. Tommi M?kinen was on his way home and his mobile rings. It's his brother and Tommi can hardly believe what he hears.....

/jarmo

John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2005, 09:47:12 AM »

Yeah, it is indeed unfortunate that kimi had the accident with one lap to go, but then again, would alonso have overtaken him had he remained on the track?

R?ikk?nen said he would have kept the 1# position without the accident.
Alonso said his back tires were little bit bad as well and he would not have started to fight about the 1#position in the last lap, he would have been pleased to 2# postion, that's what he said.

I remember that as well, that was funny as hell. Sainz was one of the greatest rally drivers.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 09:49:29 AM by John Daniels » Logged
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2005, 10:47:32 AM »

Fortune was with Alonso this time, but truth is Kimi and his team made some crucial mistakes. Mclaren should have called him to the pits and changed the damaged tyre, by not doing it (with the approval of kimi), they put him in a very risky position. Ok, everyone wants to win, but when you have to loose time and change tyres, do it!!!.

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2005, 01:15:27 PM »

Taking risks is part of F1.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Everybody involved knows that.

McLaren and Kimi has to take bigger risks than Renault/Alonso if they want to keep fighting for the championship.

Someday Kimi will probably win a race due to somebody else's misfortune. It's all part of racing.

You can guess what would've happened if the suspension wouldn't have failed. Would Alonso have tried to overtake or settled for second place? Would Kimi just let Alonso pass or tried to keep him behind even though the car was in a bad shape? We don't know.

The championship is a little less exciting thanks to Kimi retiring. That's a shame in my opinion, but I'm sure all the Alonso supporters disagree.....  Tongue

/jarmo
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 07:20:32 PM by jarmo » Logged

Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2005, 03:46:32 AM »

Taking risks is part of F1.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Everybody involved knows that.

McLaren and Kimi has to take bigger risks than Renault/Alonso if they want to keep fighting for the championship.

Someday Kimi will probably win a race due to somebody else's misfortune. It's all part of racing.

You can guess what would've happened if the suspension wouldn't have failed. Would Alonso have tried to overtake or settled for second place? Would Kimi just let Alonso pass or tried to keep him behind even though the car was in a bad shape? We don't know.

The championship is a little less exciting thanks to Kimi retiring. That's a shame in my opinion, but I'm sure all the Alonso supporters disagree.....? Tongue

/jarmo

It would be a lot more fun if Kimi could've stayed closer to Alonso in the championship table, as long as Fernando prevails....  hihi

As for the risks taken, I think there is a limit in which ones should be taken. The suspension broke, that could have caused a very very serious accident. Remember williams underwent and investigation following senna's fatal crash.....what could have happened here? Kimi was lucky afterall..... beer.

I agree F1 is a risk itself, they drive cars at 310 km/h......but in the mclaren team I'm sure they knew what could happen, as it finally did. It's not comparable to Alonso driving with worn out tires in Monaco, this situation was clearly a lot worse and imo, Kimi should have been ordered to stop and change tires. Just my opinion anyway beer

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: