Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 12:58:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Sound of CD...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Sound of CD...  (Read 9119 times)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« on: November 29, 2004, 05:30:06 PM »

What type of progression will you be pleased with for CD? Do you want something like AFD, UYI, a combination, something drastically different, etc?

Often on this board people say that some of the new songs sound as if they could come right off UYI, so wheres the change? The songs sound outdated, GNR trying to be something they are not, this is what we waited for, trying to be like Prodigy/NIN, too many ballads etc.....

My point is what kind of sound/style do you want from the band? Will you be judging the content soley on the waiting process or where it stands against old gnr and or current music? Stuff like that.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 05:34:45 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 05:37:11 PM »

I definitely want some progression, and the new songs that I've heard seem to fit that, particularly Madagascar and Rhiyads and the Beduoins.  I certainly don't want AFD part 2, or UYI 3.  Something that takes more than a few listens to really enjoy and get the full worth of the song.   The style itself isn't as important as it being unique and original, while still retaining all the greatness of past Gn'R songs.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 05:37:52 PM »

dead horse

ps: crybaby

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 05:47:51 PM »

I wanna hear some old guns sounding and the new guns sounding I think it will be more like UYI for some reason just with this epic sound

EEEERRRR Little boy
Longbow
Opening Act

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 05:54:16 PM »

I agree with loretian on this one. It took me some time to really appreciate Rhiad and the Bedouins but now I think it's a great song. Can't wait to hear the studio version....if they choose to relase it on CD. Roll Eyes

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a
straight razor. That's my dream,
it's my nightmare. Crawling, slipping along
the edge of a straight razor and surviving...."
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 06:07:02 PM »

a blend of the styles...

kylie Lips Sealed uses some intresting stuff (overdubs, filter, effects) to her vocal recordins on body language

Those would be killer on some tracks, axl done overdubs and filters be4 so i guees we'll hear some of that

And killer hardrock and lots of axl screams peace

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 06:13:56 PM »

The point to me is to not expect anything in terms of sound or style, or rather expect the unexpected. I'd like to be surprised (pleasantly if possible). The only thing I'm asking is a lot of variety, and I'm not too worried on that point  Wink

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 06:49:06 PM »

I think "a lot of variety" wouldn't be a good thing in fact...good records are not those who have "a lot of variety" but those who are coherent, and that's the hardest thing to do when you make a record. That's the difference between Appetite (less variety but way more coherent) and the Illusions (a lot of variety, but not really coherent) for example. Think about that...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 07:03:23 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 07:01:45 PM »

Evenb though I like afd the best I could defiently live with something like uyi, the albums were great as well, I just want one piano ballad, one epic rocker n one smaller ballad like dc, and a rocking ballad like scom..
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 07:03:14 PM »

I think "a lot of variety" wouldn't be a good thing in fact...good records are not those who have "a lot of variety" but those who are coherent. That's the difference between Appetite and the Illusions for example. Think about that...

I agree, it is important there is some cohesion but I still think that is possible with diversity..

I am heartened by comments Tommy has made regarding the depth specifically the in the lyric department. Axl has had a lot of time to ponder both his own world and the world at large and I'm looking foward to hearing some of his observations/thoughts etc..

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 07:08:23 PM »

obviously the best is a coherent record which is also diversified....but this is extremely difficult to make. Unless you release a "thriller" (Mickael Jackson) or a "the wall" (pink floyd).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 08:28:22 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 07:15:45 PM »

Or maybe chinese democracy Cheesy

we'll see how it goes, a diverse record i think but still in the rock genre i hope

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 07:29:13 PM »

I'm not expecting or hoping for anything really.  I know and I think you all know how "great" Axl is.  Do you really think he is going to let us down?  I truly believe that whatever he releases, I'm going to enjoy. 

Theres going to be some songs with really great lyrics, some songs that hit really hard, some songs that touch your heart, some songs that will be different than anything we have ever heard, and some songs that are just absolutely amazing.  This is what Axl and GNR are all about.   

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 11:52:13 PM »

I'm not expecting or hoping for anything really.? I know and I think you all know how "great" Axl is.? Do you really think he is going to let us down?? I truly believe that whatever he releases, I'm going to enjoy.?

Theres going to be some songs with really great lyrics, some songs that hit really hard, some songs that touch your heart, some songs that will be different than anything we have ever heard, and some songs that are just absolutely amazing.? This is what Axl and GNR are all about.? ?

well said and I love your user name  ok

i believe the sound of cd will be varied.. some hard rockin'... .some epic pieces... etc.
i also believe there will be some truly innovative sounding tracks
strength.. beauty.... inspiration... comfort... and excitement
those are the 'sounds' i'm expecting
coldenim
Headliner

Who's gonna save you now

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 01:39:56 AM »

well, I hope, although its just a fools hope that this could be a double album. You know

they make such big statements.  I would like to hear a mixture of songs, like axl said "it will

be a melting pot".  I can at least put my hope in that.  I hope it tells  a story, so some great

epic songs. Then of course some balls to the wall rock and roll, with axl's screaming vocals.

I hope it can be very diverse and will definately hold up to the old stuff.  I wouldnt mine

hearing a little of axl's rants either, I havent heard his voice in so long, and I dont have a

playstation 2  dammit!  I would like to have an album that is diverse as Queens: A Night at

the Opera. peace

grog mug
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 02:09:56 AM »

Being GN'R fans were going to like ANYTHING Axl puts out.  Madagascar is the best new song by far.  Well thought out and sounds really epic, over 6 minutes.  In the first minute of The Blues/Chinese Democracy it sounds like a taste of UYI I & II mixed with a little of Appetite.  The album will progress and surpass, don't worry.
SADIS
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2004, 03:05:21 AM »

I wouldn't even matter if it sounds like AFD, since that style is really "in style" again.

I just, really, don't care what style it is as long as it is honest music. Oh yeah, and of course there should be guitars....
SLCPUNK
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2004, 03:23:23 AM »

Too bad we'll never get to hear it.... hihi

I guess "smile" did come out....there is hope. confused
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2004, 03:47:50 AM »

Afd aaare only one,uyi only one too,uyi2 only one two,i don't want a copy of old albums,because we have it...
I want something new,mix gnr,rnr,new music(i mean new rnr) and some great composer!!
I think that Axl do it,so i can wait to hear it!!1
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2004, 05:04:29 AM »

I think "a lot of variety" wouldn't be a good thing in fact...good records are not those who have "a lot of variety" but those who are coherent, and that's the hardest thing to do when you make a record. That's the difference between Appetite (less variety but way more coherent) and the Illusions (a lot of variety, but not really coherent) for example. Think about that...

Duh, you can have a lot of variety and still be cohesive. Of course it needs to be worked on, but there lies the difference between a good album and a great album.
The songs on Tommy's album are varied, yet they are cohesive. And that's just a recent example, I could give you tons, some being very extreme in their diversity.
Btw, whatever the critics say, I prefer UYI to Appetite. That record doesn't sound that uncohesive to me.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 05:08:45 AM by Pandora » Logged

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: