Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:43:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Dream Theater
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dream Theater  (Read 11580 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« on: January 29, 2005, 02:59:55 PM »

I've heard a lot about this bunch and thought i might check some of their stuff out - can someone recommend an album i could use as my introduction to the band?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 04:22:14 PM »

I'll try to help. I'm a fan of Dream Theatre, although admittedly they're not to everyone's taste. But Mike Portnoy is a truly awesome drummer and the same can be said for John Pertrucci the guitarist. If you can try to get to see them live, its jaw dropping to watch their proficiency.

'Metropolis Pt 2 - Scenes from a memory' is probably their most famous album. Its very melodic and very prog rock. I like it a lot, but its definitely an album you listen to in its entirety. 4.5/5

Train of Thought - latest album, has more of a metal feel. A good starting point, some of it sounds a little Metallica. 4/5

They have also done some interesting bootlegs which are available to order over the web. One of them is a complete live rendition of the Master of Puppets album, which was played in Spain after already having played 2 and a half hours of their normal show! I Don't think the audience could believe it.

They have also done some cover of Led Zep live, check out 'Seasons of Change' which is also a good starting point.

Tell me what you think - I always thought the guitarist would work well in Axl's new band....

Here today...ready to rock
nevermore
Headliner

Verg I Veum / Varg I Veum

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 04:38:07 PM »

individually they're pretty much of the best. Petrucci is for sure one of the greatest 5 guitarists in the world right now. They have a perfect understanding of jazz and classical while giving it a great metal work out. Images and Words is my fav albumthough i can't think of a DT miss. They're hard to get into especially if u're not willing to put in some good hours of listenin', but they are masters of muscial expression.
 Metropolis showcases there qualities as instruments, primarily. Petrucci goes all out on technique here and to my mind sacrifices a lot of feeling for the music in exchange.
 A great band, with a big following (though the number of records sold has gone down over the years).
 "Pull me under" is one my favorites and the first Petrucci song that I seriously started studying.

WECOMEFROMTHELANDOFTHEICEANDSNOW/From the midnight sun,where the hot springs blow/The hammer of the gods/Will drive their ships to new lands/To fight the horde, singing and crying:/ WALHALLA IM coming
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 04:55:34 PM »

Your first should be Images And Words

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 05:35:27 PM »

I have to tell you that the first time I heard Dream Theater I bought Awake without knowing the group, I just bought it cause the cover was cool, At first i didn't like it but as the weeks went going by I learnt to like the band and I'm a fan since then, I mean Buy Awake and go step by step on this group you gonna love it eventually it's really good to hear this group My fave Album is Falling Into Infinity and fave song is Anna Lee. Hope my opinion help  ok

No man can be my equal
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 03:49:59 AM »

As it was said before, they are the best musicians in one band. Since you are a huge Pantera fan, I suggest you should start with the harder albums (my choice'd be Awake, but Train of Thoughts is good, too), although IMO their best album is Metropolis II - Scenes from a Memory followed by Images and Words, but I'm not sure if you'd like IAW since it's more like ELP than Pantera or Metallica.

BTW their live DVDs show how superioir they are.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 07:52:46 AM »

DreamTheater is definitely the best (musicians wise), but i don't think you can enjoy their music unless you're interested in guitar or drums. Most of their songs are too long with whole minutes of instrumental music. They use weird timings(20/8 ?) and scales and to sum it up, their vocalist sucks! Buf if none of this bothers you, go right ahead! ok

Fuck 'Em All.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 08:21:21 AM »

Your first should be Images And Words

Yep, in my opinion (and many others, too) this album is the "Master of Puppets" of Dream Theater. Especially check out the songs Metropolis pt. 1, Surrounded, and Learning To Live.

This is the album that made me tolerate James LaBrie's vocals, because it's just that good.

edit: Scabbie, you're a fan of "Dream Theatre", but don't even know how to spell the bands name? Good luck Tongue
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 08:26:26 AM by Skeletor » Logged

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 08:49:00 AM »

edit: Scabbie, you're a fan of "Dream Theatre", but don't even know how to spell the bands name? Good luck Tongue

Doh! English spelling is 'Theatre', always gets me!

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 09:51:50 AM »

Thanks for the responses - 101cd.com is selling them all for 4.99, so i can hardly go wrong, i've heard so much about their guitarist i gotta find out what all the hype is about, i ordered 'Images and Words' and 'Awake'

Are the band English? I heard they were from Manchester.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 10:00:40 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 01:47:40 PM »

Thanks for the responses - 101cd.com is selling them all for 4.99, so i can hardly go wrong, i've heard so much about their guitarist i gotta find out what all the hype is about, i ordered 'Images and Words' and 'Awake'

Are the band English? I heard they were from Manchester.

I think they are from US somewhere - Mike Portnoy (drummer) and John Petrucci studied at the Berkely school of music or something.

DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 11:33:28 PM »

Most Overrated Band Ever!! you better try Liquid Tension(Mike Portnoy's side project ) ,almost the same musicians but no vocals wichs rocks, James Labrie Can't fuckin sing!  no

If the world would end today... Wink
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 06:30:31 AM »

Most Overrated Band Ever!!

Can you describe how they're overrated? Just interested - I can see how someone might not like them, but I still think they deserve all the respect they get.

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 05:30:57 PM »

My copy of Awake arrived!

Despite what people have said i rather like the vocalist's style, maybe the keyboards are a little too pronounced but it's all good stuff, and the guitarist seem's capable of a few tricks.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 03:37:08 PM »

Actually when I heard Awake I like the  keyboards, specially on space-dye vest, so melancholic I rather like Moore instead of Sherian (dunno how to spell it  Undecided). Agree with Dead Horse on LaBrie can't sing, but I forgive him with Anna Lee.  ok

No man can be my equal
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2005, 09:02:44 PM »

Actually when I heard Awake I like the? keyboards, specially on space-dye vest, so melancholic I rather like Moore instead of Sherian (dunno how to spell it? Undecided). Agree with Dead Horse on LaBrie can't sing, but I forgive him with Anna Lee.? ok

James was great, but during the Awake tour he suffered of a serious illness, and he lost some of his voice. But he still can be great, I still consider him as one of the best singers around, but 'unfortunately' he is in DT and comparing with the musicians he's way behind them.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2005, 12:32:06 AM »

i love Dream Theater i first heard them when i downloaded their concert from madison square garden last april. they are easily one of the best bands musically petrucci and portnoy are excellent. james' vocals don't bother me at all. i rather like them. one of my favorites songs of theirs is trial of tears. oh ad someone asked where they are from i think at least a few of the band members are from new york.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2005, 03:37:58 AM »

James was great, but during the Awake tour he suffered of a serious illness, and he lost some of his voice.

Yeah, I believe he puked so hard it damaged his vocal chords.. pretty brutal.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 10:51:02 PM »

New album comes out soon. Who here is looking forward to it? I know i am.
VIP

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 07:36:17 PM »

Dream Theater are great, but according to me, its music for those who are muscisians and enjoys strange rythmkeys and melody progressions.

JP kicks the shit out of anyone!

What they lack the most is James LaBrie.

Train Of Thought is their easiest album to get into.

Listen to some Symphony X if you like DT.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: