Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:32:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227938 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Merck writes a letter to the NY Times
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Merck writes a letter to the NY Times  (Read 84024 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #320 on: March 13, 2005, 09:09:06 AM »

Merck's letter is NOT in today's (March 13) Sunday NY Times ... but I'm wondering if it's because Merck chose NOT to edit his original letter down to the 300 words or less for the free space and chose NOT to pay to have the entire letter posted?

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #321 on: March 13, 2005, 09:30:04 AM »

Merck's letter is NOT in today's (March 13) Sunday NY Times ... but I'm wondering if it's because Merck chose NOT to edit his original letter down to the 300 words or less for the free space and chose NOT to pay to have the entire letter posted?

again, i don't think the leeds article was so bad and i think it would have been kind of childish for merck to post that letter... kind of like two kids in the sandbox, fighting over the new shuffle or whatever he he...

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #322 on: March 13, 2005, 10:20:33 AM »

kids in the sandbox, fighting over the new shuffle or whatever he he...
That's the mentality dominating this thread and the other one. Undecided

That's not protecting anything at all. -------"if you beat em' enough, they'll die."

gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #323 on: March 13, 2005, 11:46:19 AM »

I got the impression Merck's letter was written for GnR fans and the New York Times itself rather than for publication. I may be wrong. But that's the impression I got...  Huh
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #324 on: March 13, 2005, 12:08:35 PM »

kids in the sandbox, fighting over the new shuffle or whatever he he...
That's the mentality dominating this thread and the other one. Undecided

true, but the difference is that we're not posing as anything but wannabes and obsessed fans, ergo we are the kids in the sand box.. hihi

I got the impression Merck's letter was written for GnR fans and the New York Times itself rather than for publication. I may be wrong. But that's the impression I got... Huh

i got the same impression too and i think that's cool, unlike printing it in the times or someting else huge... it's would be really fuckin' stupid if Axl or Merck would start to comment on every stupid thing beeing said about them in the press and thats why i'm kind of surprised that merck commented on this nyt article at all in the first place....

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #325 on: March 13, 2005, 12:32:35 PM »

I'm really baffled by everything regarding GNR at this point in time, but it's been really great to see the wide spectrum of responses in this thread...
For me personally, while I commend Merck for coming to Axl's defence (and earning his salary), any words coming from that camp at this point seem to ring hollow in my ears.? Kudos to the journalist for not selling his sources down the river.? This is just another example of Axl and co's determination to control beyond control.? At the end of the day, this is the tale of a meglomaniacal artist consistantly overestimating his own importance, regardless of how much of a genius we believe him to be.? I do not expect a point by point repudiation of the information in the article, but if they are so indignant over the whole thing, let's hear the whole story from the only people that they seem to deem worthy of telling it.? Once again, the energy and focus is completely misguided.? Controlling through veiled threats, harsh words, legalities, and brute force has been the MO for years now.? Going by past events, I have to assume that the "offer" to hear CD was yet another attempt to hold people at bay, or at the very least, to delay the publishig of an article which Axl might have suspiciously suspected may not paint him using the brightest of colors.? 24 hours, 48 hours, irrelevant.? We ALL know Axl would have redacted the hell out of that article, most likely persuing legal action against those who exercised their right to speak.? In all honesty, I think it was just a matter of the journalist hitting too close to a nerve, however, in Axl's defence, most of the "info" was certainly outdated, and at the very least, probably irrelevant to current circumstances.
It's like a trial by jury.? If the defendant does nothing to refute the charges against them except shift focus and point fingers, you would have to logically make the assumption that by choosing not to prove the charges against them inaccurate through fact that they are conceding that there is some level of truth to the charges, and may, in fact, be indirectly lending creedence to these assumptions through lack of an alternative...I'll stop now

Getting a bit out of hand, no? Settle down folks...Truth is, no one here was privy to the phone conversations...let it go... the earth will continue to rotate, largely unaffected by the latest in a large string of earth-shattering revelations

So now we can only consider conversatoins to which we have witnessed/heard with ouir own ears?

In that case then, Leeds was witness to none of the accounts he related, was he? ?So then he was not 'privy' to what he reported on was he?
Yet its offered for our consumption. ?
Considering Merck himself WAS PRESENT for the phone conversation which he related to us I'd say that info has 1000 times more weight than anything Leeds reported.... Thus my discussion of the account Merck related in his letter as fact has more merit than any of the second and third hand accounts Leeds reported.

As for the continued rotation of the earth, I'm waiting for the NY Times to report on it. ?LOL!

You obviously chose to disregard my point....

I take it that your point is/was that this thread does/did not merit further discussion - due to our not being there to witness anything.
I did address your point - so it was not disregarded.

Just because YOU chose pages ago in this thread to "stop now", apparently no longer finding "its great to hear the wide spectrum of responses',
does not mean that the topic no longer merits discussion amongst those that choose to. ?You made your comments. ?If you have found my continued replies are not to your liking, as I advised noizzynofutre, I have no remedy to offer you in that regard.

now, once again... back on topic:

I got the impression Merck's letter was written for GnR fans and the New York Times itself rather than for publication. I may be wrong. But that's the impression I got... Huh

I get what you're saying gigger. ?In any event he may feel, much like you did about your article, satisfied that the ones who matter did receive it:
the parties to whom it was addressed (Leeds and the Times editors) and the other most interested parties (the fans whom he knew it would reach through Mysteron posting here at HTGTH.) ?If the Times chose to print it - that would have been a bonus I suppose, but seeing how it exposes the treatment he received from their writer and editor - I'm not surprised it was not printed - even in part.

Which brings me to the 300 words or less thing - the Times could have edited it themselves, no?
...with a note indicating it was edited for space constraints. ? Though, hmm, ?I wonder: ?which parts would they edit?
The whole thing was a great read.... and I'm really pleased that Merck made sure that we were privy to it.

estranged.1098
« Reply #326 on: March 13, 2005, 01:29:33 PM »

If the Times rejected the letter for having over 300 words then it was definately sent for publication. However I think that maybe Merck is glad they didn't print it.

erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #327 on: March 13, 2005, 02:04:20 PM »

If the Times rejected the letter for having over 300 words then it was definately sent for publication. However I think that maybe Merck is glad they didn't print it.

why was it defenetly sent for publication?

and why do you think merck is glad they didn't print it?

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #328 on: March 13, 2005, 02:07:09 PM »

i got the same impression too and i think that's cool, unlike printing it in the times or someting else huge... it's would be really fuckin' stupid if Axl or Merck would start to comment on every stupid thing beeing said about them in the press and thats why i'm kind of surprised that merck commented on this nyt article at all in the first place....
Me too.
And I thought if Axl himself dared respond to the article with a threat he'd spoil everything.
At the same time that could mean he wasn't ready and CD wasn't coming out.

Regardless of the intent, the article gives art/music fans anticipation for the birth of genuine music. They know real artists n artistes often go down in history as idealistic nutcases. Some reader may relate with his quandary.

I hope Merck will tell the readers CD's comming out this year.
estranged.1098
« Reply #329 on: March 13, 2005, 02:13:00 PM »

1) Because the Times rejected it. You can't reject something for publication if it wasn't sent for publication.

2) Because he didn't send a new letter with 300 words. If he really wanted the NYT readers to read his response he would have done it.
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2005, 02:21:51 PM »

Regardless of the intent, the article gives art/music fans anticipation for the birth of genuine music. They know real artists n artistes often go down in history as idealistic nutcases. Some reader may relate with his quandary.

exactly! you couldn't have put it better!

Axl is so fucking genious like, he won't let ANYTHING get in the way of what he believes in, and it's cool to kind of follow the prosess unlike discovering it after axl is dead or something, like you do with mozart, bach or fuckin' jimmy ?Grin...

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2005, 02:24:19 PM »

1) Because the Times rejected it. You can't reject something for publication if it wasn't sent for publication.

2) Because he didn't send a new letter with 300 words. If he really wanted the NYT readers to read his response he would have done it.

what do you think that means? what you say basically gives cred to the nyt article afterall no?

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
estranged.1098
« Reply #332 on: March 13, 2005, 03:56:23 PM »

No I don't think so.

If Merck actually decided not to post a reply on the NYT (which is pure speculation on my part) then it means (in my opinion) that he just decided the album itself will be the best reply Gn'R could have for this article, when it comes out.

erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #333 on: March 13, 2005, 06:51:34 PM »

No I don't think so.

If Merck actually decided not to post a reply on the NYT (which is pure speculation on my part) then it means (in my opinion) that he just decided the album itself will be the best reply Gn'R could have for this article, when it comes out.

sounds reasonable! ok

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #334 on: March 14, 2005, 08:06:33 PM »

"If the times rejected..."

well.., FUCK THEM!

PUT THIS ON GNR OFFICIAL SITE GODAMNIT!
IT?S TIME TO UPDATE THAT PIECE OF CRAP
 rant

MonkeySama
Opening Act

Brad is dead. And no one cares.

« Reply #335 on: March 15, 2005, 02:10:50 AM »

this is a fake.

probably written by 'Mysterion'

Belie... dat.

smoking
Warren
« Reply #336 on: March 15, 2005, 04:51:12 AM »

When people read Merck's comments they are disappointed seeing what kind of people are around Axl...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 05:07:21 AM by Pepe Da Rosa » Logged
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #337 on: March 15, 2005, 10:13:18 AM »

When people read Merck's comments they are disappointed seeing what kind of people are around Axl...

what people??
allow me to correct you "some people"... some people worry about Axl having someone around him who believes in him.
I suppose some people would prefer if Axl? had a management representative that didn't express belief in Axl as an artist and support Axl in the press.? nervous
Whereas some people - myself included - are pleased with Merck's expressing belief in and support of Axl as "the heart and soul of GN'R".? ?ok
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 10:16:09 AM by Eva GnRAxlRosette » Logged
Intercourse
Banned
Rocker

BED WETTER

« Reply #338 on: March 15, 2005, 01:16:04 PM »

some people - myself included - are pleased with Merck's expressing belief in and support of Axl as "the heart and soul of GN'R".   ok

When you're the lead singer and last original member of the band you earn that title by default. No big deal. If he truly is the heart and sould of the band then we should see songs that eclipse those on AFD since he's got his wish and taken Guns to himself.  I cannot wait to see what we will all think...
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #339 on: March 15, 2005, 10:18:33 PM »

some people - myself included - are pleased with Merck's expressing belief in and support of Axl as "the heart and soul of GN'R".   ok

When you're the lead singer and last original member of the band you earn that title by default. No big deal. If he truly is the heart and sould of the band then we should see songs that eclipse those on AFD since he's got his wish and taken Guns to himself.  I cannot wait to see what we will all think...

"Axl is one of the most extraordinary artists of all time.  When people hear this album, they will realize what [Axl] did in this band, versus what Slash says he did.  It will be evident to everyone who the heart, soul and passion of Guns N' Roses is."

I don't agree that Axl earned any such title by default.  On the contrary I believe what he did 'earn' (unfortuantely) was a lot of GRIEF from fans who blame him for the departure of his former bandmates. 
Like your comment that "he's got his wish..." 

Persoanlly IMHO I believe that when Merck said how it will be evident that Axl is the heart, soul, and passion of GN'R when the people hear CD, in the context of 'they will realize what Axl did in this band versus what Slash says he did' it may have been a rebuttal of the theory that GN'R is not GN'R without Slash. 

I can't say I agree with your comment that GN'R's new material must 'eclipse AFD' to prove (or disprove) anything.  I'm not even sure I understand what you meant by that.

In any event... my quoting Merck was only to relate another example of how Merck has expressed a positive outlook for Axl and GN'R...
And how, contrary to the previous poster's coments (which i quoted), some people are pleased that Merck expresses such confidence in Axl, GN'R, and the forthcoming material. 

How some people would find reason to be dissapointed that such a person as Merck is 'around Axl' is not something I can say I understand.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: