Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 02:27:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  elvis presley vs all
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: elvis presley vs all  (Read 7781 times)
patienceforaxl
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: May 12, 2005, 03:04:44 PM »

theres no one that touches this guy in terms of anything musically
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 11:30:07 PM »

ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 02:37:30 AM »

Musically, Elvis songs are really simple, in a bad way. He's great by rock n' roll standards and the standards of his time, but these days we expect dual guitar melodies, solos, and a bassist who knows more than 3 notes. Of course, Elvis was a very great singer, but it's too bad the music itself could have been better.

Had he come 20 years later, his voice would have had much better music to go with it.
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 02:41:45 AM »

Elvis was an amazing performer and deserves a huge amount of respect, but he wasn't exactly a musician.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 04:19:08 AM »

How about songwriting? This guy never wrote a fuckin song in his life. No doubt he had the voice and the talent, but he was nothing but a popstar. If the people that wrote his songs and managed his image weren't so good, nobody would remember the great Elvis now.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 05:34:16 AM »

I don't believe it.

Are u the proof there is someone below 40 who like Elvis?

I can respect him for changing music, but lets face it - the songs are weak and incredibly dated.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 05:57:26 AM »

Yeah, bands like the Beatles and Nirvana may have been influential, but musically they were mediocre. I think the argument in favor of these mediocre pop bands is that the best music was written 200+ years ago, so influence is more important than talent because there's no point in trying to top Wagner and Beethoven, because it's entirely impossible.  Roll Eyes

If the old masters were alive today, I promise you they wouldn't be into Elvis, or any much of Rock n' Roll for that matter. Black metal, maybe. Wink
ClintroN
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 08:08:07 AM »

I don't believe it.

I can respect him for changing music, but lets face it - the songs are weak and incredibly dated.

show some fuckin' respect!! rant

June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 01:57:08 PM »

I don't believe it.

show some fuckin' respect!! rant

May i direct your limited intellect to the final line of my three line post, i can understand how u'd miss it hidden away n'all

I can respect him for changing music

The man helped music develop, before him...well 20, 30, 40's music - its unspeakably bad sentimental nonsense, he put energy into music - but just as the first caveman who wrote something on the wall of his cave was no genius poet, neither is Elvis, as one of the founders of 'modern' music, a great musical talent

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 04:44:25 PM »

Elvis was an amazing performer and deserves a huge amount of respect, but he wasn't exactly a musician.

since when?

first guitar at aged 10, learned by being on Beale St where all the best black musicians played, he was taught at some point in time blues guitar by BB King
he learned piano by age 20
could also play bass guitar and drums

learned harmony by being around gospel groups and introduced backing singers to rock and roll

and he has certainly one of the most distinctive, powerful and versatile voices i have ever heard

listen to the 50's recordings, most of his songs were unique, very few are alike...many have unique intros never ever used before by anyone and they are so unique that they have rarely been used afterwards...elvis was the first to stay in the studio to perfect his music, all other rock and rollers just came in, recorded the music and left...elvis was a great producer...elvis spent all nighters perfecting the songs, noone else did that before elvis...i know because i researched it...listen closer, try and understand why he stood out

he was certainly a musician, and better than most in the 50's...the trouble is that those who judge him judge him from a different era and not the era he lived in...if axl rose was a singer in the 50's he wouldnt have been any different and would have been limited by the techniques and quality of the music at the time...and axl is certainly nowhere near as good a guitar player as elvis...

and izzy, i will tell you there are just as many people under 40 who like elvis as there are over 40...in fact i think there are more under 40's but of course you didnt know that...you just assumed...

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
ClintroN
Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 04:54:21 PM »

I don't believe it.

ok

June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 09:14:13 PM »

Elvis Presley wrote some of his music and lyrics, i mean and lets face it, some of you are talking about image and all that shit, you'll always have image in musicians, come on and cut the crap. Besides being the most influential person in rock history, he is still The King yes

If the world would end today... Wink
Lisa
You talkin' to me?
Legend

Here Today..Gone To The syndicate

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2005, 10:27:08 PM »

my mom really loves/loved him rofl

Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2005, 11:10:23 PM »

my mom really loves/loved him rofl

hihi  Mine too.  I remember when he died, I thought she was going to have a stroke!

Why don't you just....
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2005, 11:54:55 AM »

Elvis was a true artist. He was class.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005, 08:30:48 PM »

there's no point in trying to top Wagner and Beethoven, because it's entirely impossible.? Roll Eyes

I think Mozart would probably have disagreed with you. Either that, or he'd have gone on a three-week drug & booze binge and descended further into depression Tongue
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2005, 08:36:57 PM »

Elvis Presley wrote some of his music and lyrics
He's also alledged to have commissioned songs from other people and passed them off as his own. Not that it matters one bit.

I don't like Elvis, but I'd find it hard to disagree that he was an incredibly charismatic performer whose success had a massive impact on the music industry. Well, it probably created the music industry as we know it today. Which is probably not a good thing. Y'know, the more you think about it, the more reasons there are to stick a pin in your Elvis voodoo doll.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2005, 09:36:56 PM »

I recently got back into Elvis, actually, after I watched this TV movie on him the other day.? The thing is that, in my opinion, Elvis was easily one of the greatest male singers ever.? I have a few of his albums, and I notice that even when his songs are weaker (chief culprit: his 60s movie soundtracks), his voice makes them much better than they otherwise would have been.? Of course, when he got his hands on a good song, it makes for amazing music.? My current thing is some of his 50s album tracks, like "Money Honey" and "Lawdy Miss Clawdy".? They're really fun to listen to.

People can criticize Elvis's music as dated if they want, but that doesn't make one bit of difference to me.? Something can be dated and still be a good song.   Besides, a lot of his music still holds up today.  The best example is his recent mega-hit "A Little Less Conversation".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 09:38:34 PM by Mattman » Logged
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 09:44:18 PM »

People can criticize Elvis's music as dated if they want, but that doesn't make one bit of difference to me.? Something can be dated and still be a good song.? ?Besides, a lot of his music still holds up today.? The best example is his recent mega-hit "A Little Less Conversation".

People who criticize music recorded decades ago for being "dated" have severe mental difficulties. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but when I hear a song recorded thirty years ago I'm not expecting it to sound contemporary.

I don't think that you picked a good example there, Mattman, because ''...Conversation" was a hit after (I think) and therefore probably because it was used on the soundtrack to Ocean's 11. In that scenario, Milli Vanilli could have sung it and it would still have been a hit. That said, I do like that song Tongue
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2005, 09:57:01 PM »

In that scenario, Milli Vanilli could have sung it and it would still have been a hit. That said, I do like that song Tongue

Yeah, but then it would have been only lip sync so it still would have been Elvis.  hihi

Why don't you just....
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: