Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 02:32:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Most overrated Band ...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Most overrated Band ...  (Read 37344 times)
Jack_N_Coke
Opening Act

Bon Jovi can suck my dick!

« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2005, 02:20:37 PM »

Out of that list i'd say take your pick out of Van Halen, Nirvana, or Def Leppard.  Van Halen's lyrics never really did anything for me while musically they're pretty damn good.  Def Leppard is similar to VH because I find they're lyrics to be simple but their sound is awesome (it's also bullshit how the commercial for their new cd proclaims them the "originators of modern rock" or something to that effect).  As for Nirvana, not to sound like a morbid asshole, but Kurt Cobain probably made his best career move when he offed himself because had he not done that, there's no way Nirvana would have reached the legendary status they have today.
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2005, 02:24:50 PM »

Dream Theater. they think they would be the next "Yes".....come oooonnnnnnn!!!   Roll Eyes

If the world would end today... Wink
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2005, 02:05:31 AM »

but Kurt Cobain probably made his best career move when he offed himself because had he not done that, there's no way Nirvana would have reached the legendary status they have today.

you know dame well how big they were before he died. Plus, noone has that legendary status unless you are dead anyway!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2005, 05:09:57 AM »

People dont wanna give Kurt credit, now overrated guitarist maybe but I dont think he is overrated at all.

Nirvana crushed hair bands, I mean think about that, Nirvana crushed the hair bands and ushered in a new wave of music, how many times has a musical revolution like that happened? just a few im sure.

Oasis outside of Champagne Supernova have never appealed to me, granted I havent heard a shitload of their songs so Im probably missing out on them and radiohead, I do dig Creep by radiohead

i downloaded a few Radiohead songs a while back though and never could really get into them.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 05:11:40 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2005, 05:11:42 PM »

Cobain didn't single handedly crush hair bands.  GN'R had already changed the scene when they came in.  Most of the hair bands at least tried to become more agrressive and less poppy after Guns hit the scene.  Once again Cobain gets too much credit.  What crushed hair metal was that it became way too over exposed and formulaic.  People got tired of it, and it began to become stale.  The good bands from that era (Motley Crue, Poison, Tesla, L.A. Guns, Def Leppard, and some others) live on, and the Autographs and Dangerous Toyz were never heard from again.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2005, 03:21:42 AM »

actually Bon Jovi were really the only band that truly survived. Motley have now but they were gone in the 90's. Bon Jovi were successful through it all.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2005, 09:08:25 PM »

hey guys I started this THREAD why, my name is not First?

I STARTED THIS THREAD MMMM
Actually estranged88 started pretty much the same thread on 24 October 2003 so he beat you to it by way over a year dude, and i'm guessing one of the mods or jarmo thought rather than have several threads on the same subject lying around why not put them together...saves people repeating their views in thread after thread....does it bother you that much that your name is not first?

It doesnt bother me at all man... I just thought.. there wasnt a thread like this before... Its a mistake o' mine
gnrmadagascar
Headliner

Broken glass and cigarettes...

« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2005, 09:56:55 PM »

I know everybody has their own opinion but I have got to say that The Beatles are the greatest band of all time. Their later material (i.e. The White Album, Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper's, pretty much everything from Rubber Soul on) is absolutely mind-blowing (the older stuff is pretty good too) and it's effects are still in music today. Those albums are the ones that created popular music and it sounded so different from everything at that time.
     If it wasn't for The Beatles, a lot of the bands out there today would not be around (For example, Ozzy's a huge Beatles fan and his favorite song is A Day In The Life)

The Poster Formely Known as estranged13
"While I'm sitting here, doing nothing but aging, still my guitar, gently weeps..." - George Harrison
boston
Rocker

diytvrocks.com

« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2005, 10:00:41 PM »

most of the bands on the list have earned there keep, since there are so many bands, and so few good ones that can pass the test of time , i dont think any of these bands deserve to be considered overrated, however i think AUDIOSLAVE would be good place to start for most overrated

D.I.Y. TV SITE LINK

http://www.diytvrocks.com
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2005, 11:35:04 PM »

Poison still plays arenas and ampitheaters, so I'd say they survived.  I guess Crue didn't survive, but they've been resurected.  However, I think if they stayed together and didn't try to go industrial with the Generation Swine album they would've stayed pretty big like Bon Jovi.  Even their tour for New Tatoo, which Tommy Lee didn't participate in was pretty big back in 2000.  But yeah, Jovi definitely did the best job of surviving, and I think its because they basically stuck to their guns.  So many hair metal bands tried to become either grunge or industrial during the 90's and fell flat on there faces.  Bands like Poison and Bon Jovi stuck to their guns and retained a pretty loyal fan base over the years.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2005, 02:59:26 AM »

People dont wanna give Kurt credit, now overrated guitarist maybe but I dont think he is overrated at all.

Nirvana crushed hair bands, I mean think about that, Nirvana crushed the hair bands and ushered in a new wave of music, how many times has a musical revolution like that happened? just a few im sure.

Oasis outside of Champagne Supernova have never appealed to me, granted I havent heard a shitload of their songs so Im probably missing out on them and radiohead, I do dig Creep by radiohead

i downloaded a few Radiohead songs a while back though and never could really get into them.

D... you are giving Kurt and Nirvana WAYYYYYYY too much credit (hense, the title of this thread is very appropriate when speaking in terms of Nirvana.)

Nirvana did NOT kill hair bands... they were pretty much destroyed when GnR hit the scene and made it ok for rock to be nasty again.? Before GnR... thanks to Bon Jovi and the other hair bands, the hard rock sound had become too mainstream and too nice.

What Nirvana (along with others -- Pearl Jam & Alice in Chains come to mind) did do, is usher in a new style of music.? They helped create the grunge sound -- the angst ridden sound that reminded us that life sucks -- which was just as effectively killed when Kurt killed himself (or someone killed him).? ?Grunge was probably the shortest lived musical style in history... I think that Disco even lived a longer life than did grunge.

However, that is nothing exceptional.? It's no more amazing than when Punk Rock stamped out the disco flames in the late 70s.? ?

It happens all the time... something comes along to kick mainstream music in it's collective ass and all the sudden the musical tide changes.? And it has just as much to do with who is listening to the music as it does to who is creating it... because as the current mainstream generation gets older, they get replaced by a younger crowd who have different musical preferences.

Kiss
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2005, 06:47:05 AM »

? ? ?I know everybody has their own opinion but I have got to say that The Beatles are the greatest band of all time. Their later material (i.e. The White Album, Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper's, pretty much everything from Rubber Soul on) is absolutely mind-blowing (the older stuff is pretty good too) and it's effects are still in music today. Those albums are the ones that created popular music and it sounded so different from everything at that time.
? ? ?If it wasn't for The Beatles, a lot of the bands out there today would not be around (For example, Ozzy's a huge Beatles fan and his favorite song is A Day In The Life)

Spot on man!!  ok
RichardNixon
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2005, 06:51:37 PM »

Some overrated bands of today: Although I like 'em.

Franz Ferninand
White Stripes
The Strokes

RichardNixon
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2005, 06:53:23 PM »

And if anyone calls the Beatles overrated, they should listen to the second half of "Abbey Road!"
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2005, 07:51:11 PM »

Some overrated bands of today: Although I like 'em.

Franz Ferninand
White Stripes
The Strokes

Yes - I must admit.  I love The White Stripes, but they are very overrated.  People talk them up so much, they're good but not FANTASTIC!!  Undecided                ok

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2005, 09:26:24 PM »

The most overrated band isnt even known.
Jonathan
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2005, 10:13:23 PM »

Nirvana and Rolling Stones.
StradlinRose
Clintron, check your PMs!
Opening Act

east coast struttin'

« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2005, 07:52:58 AM »

Nirvana

They ruined 90's mainstream rock.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2005, 11:19:42 AM »

Dream Theater. they think they would be the next "Yes".....come oooonnnnnnn!!!   Roll Eyes

Agree with you my friend, they think that they could be the next Metallica or Megadeth or something that is supposed to be the next, but I think they are trying to much to experiment with music that at the end they have lost that je ne se pas  that makes rock great
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 04:06:21 PM by Mr. Dick Purple » Logged

No man can be my equal
mr_yoshimaroka
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2005, 12:52:10 PM »

Nine Inch Nails. Trent is talented, but he's no genius.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: