Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 02:18:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chris Cornell on '92 GNR/Axl
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Cornell on '92 GNR/Axl  (Read 39742 times)
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2005, 08:18:23 PM »

Sure, from fans and maybe backstage workers, media and such but it just seemed by Chris's statement that it even ment band members too, managment,? anybody at all..?

Media - likely since Axl didn't give that many interviews at the time

I don't really see the comments as something negative. Chris is just desribing what he saw. It's true that there were teleprompters on the stage and Axl used to wear those shorts.....

/jarmo

Actually, I didn't really take it as negative.  I see the teleprompters in the boots that I have.  They were always changing the set list so IMO, that wasn't a bad idea at all.   I love the shorts love Grin     Actually it always kind of facinates me when I read stuff like the about hallway in this case, it just tells me more of what went on behind the scenes that I haven't read about before.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2005, 02:34:36 AM »

Sure, from fans and maybe backstage workers, media and such but it just seemed by Chris's statement that it even ment band members too, managment,  anybody at all.. 

Media - likely since Axl didn't give that many interviews at the time

I don't really see the comments as something negative. Chris is just desribing what he saw. It's true that there were teleprompters on the stage and Axl used to wear those shorts.....

/jarmo

Actually, I didn't really take it as negative.  I see the teleprompters in the boots that I have.  They were always changing the set list so IMO, that wasn't a bad idea at all.   I love the shorts love Grin     Actually it always kind of facinates me when I read stuff like the about hallway in this case, it just tells me more of what went on behind the scenes that I haven't read about before.

I think Axl didn`t want anybody in the hallway, because he wanted to concentrate on the show and he didn`t want to be deflected by something. I don`t think that there was another reason for this or that this was weird.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2005, 02:42:50 AM »

I agree. Its not really that bad of a thing to do if you consider the circumstances. Axl was in the biggest band on the earth. He wanted to blow the opening band off the fuckin stage every night. His fans always expected to be blown away by his performance. Thats alot of pressure for one man to endure. So if he needed to get in "the zone" before going on stage, there's nothing wrong with that. Having to speak to someone during his walk to the stage would just cloud his thoughts. Axl was so great in July 1991 when I seen him, there must not have been anyone within 100 feet of him on his walk to the stage.

DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2005, 08:10:18 AM »

Just for the record, I don't think it's a bad thing that he is wants to be alone.  I do find what goes on backstage with him to be interesting and sorta fascinating because he does have all these rules some may be standard procedure and some of his own accord.  Ofcourse he has to prepare to perform, that is true of most performers but I just thought the hallways was a bit extreme for even band members to be in, that's all.

check it out!!
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2005, 10:55:57 AM »

I dont want to hijack this thread... but guys did you know Chris Cornell appears on the credits of Slash's Snakepit (It's five o'clock somewhere)?     can you tell me why?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2005, 01:26:41 PM »

I agree. Its not really that bad of a thing to do if you consider the circumstances. Axl was in the biggest band on the earth. He wanted to blow the opening band off the fuckin stage every night. His fans always expected to be blown away by his performance. Thats alot of pressure for one man to endure. So if he needed to get in "the zone" before going on stage, there's nothing wrong with that. Having to speak to someone during his walk to the stage would just cloud his thoughts. Axl was so great in July 1991 when I seen him, there must not have been anyone within 100 feet of him on his walk to the stage.

I agree with jameslofton29...it's a situation similar to a great baseball pitcher who has a no-hitter going.  Nobody goes near the guy.  Axl had the world by its "short n' curlies" through '93...nobody wanted to jinx him.

This was a hilarious interview...this is not Cornell "slagging off" on Axl.  It was simply a man recalling a surreal moment in his life.  Funny shit.  Smiley     

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2005, 04:23:26 PM »

Some Actors are so focused they dont want to be disturbed because that might kill they're mojo, Miles Davis was the same way before he went on stage. So why persecute Axl for being the same way, the stage was his domain and he wanted to give the best show possible. So fuck Chris Cornell if he doesnt get it.  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2005, 04:24:18 PM »

Although, even I must admit that article was pretty funny from the way he described it  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2005, 02:53:19 AM »

Did anyone else read the entire interview? I got the Blender mag the other day and I got to read the whole interview. A sad part of the interview is when he says Soundgarden probably wont ever get back together.

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2005, 11:08:01 AM »

ya know REALLY now.. who gives a flyin' fig!?

if he was sacrificing live chickens in the back and wore and indian headress on stage with a loincloth - so what!???

he put on kick ass shows with GN'R!? ok

No doubt he certainly did but part of Axl's appeal to me is that he is intriguing and I just would love to know the reason why for the empty hallways.?

I think the reason is that he spends a lot of time getting psyched up before gigs, and he doesn't want to run into something between the wardrobe and the stage that will fuck up his concentration.
now he probably didn't mind running into Cornell cos he was probably a fan of Soundgarden, if he wasn't, they probably wouldn't have taken them on tour in the first place.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2005, 11:35:12 AM »

ya know REALLY now.. who gives a flyin' fig!?

if he was sacrificing live chickens in the back and wore and indian headress on stage with a loincloth - so what!???

he put on kick ass shows with GN'R!  ok

No doubt he certainly did but part of Axl's appeal to me is that he is intriguing and I just would love to know the reason why for the empty hallways. 

I think the reason is that he spends a lot of time getting psyched up before gigs, and he doesn't want to run into something between the wardrobe and the stage that will fuck up his concentration.
now he probably didn't mind running into Cornell cos he was probably a fan of Soundgarden, if he wasn't, they probably wouldn't have taken them on tour in the first place.

I understand that completely, no doubt he puts on a hell of a show.  Probably did the same thing in 2002.

In the toyko DVD's there are people all over the hallways as they are walking to the stage.  Gets it's a matter of mood his is in or because the camera's were there he allowed it. 

check it out!!
madagas
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2005, 11:44:04 AM »

Axl was a big fan of Soundgarden back in the late eighties early nineties. I read an interview one time where they ask Axl what singers he liked and he said something like "Chris Cornell just buries me!" He liked Cornell for sure. ok
guantanamo
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2005, 11:02:08 AM »

GNR lyrics hardly ever follow a regular song platform i.e. verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse.?
Are you joking? With the possible exceptions of Coma, Get in the Ring, Estranged, My World and maybe one or two others, ALL of them follow this platform, adding a bridge here or there.
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2005, 03:02:11 PM »

Do any of you guys realize that Axl is just a person?
A normal human being.

He might not realize it. But Chris does.
Chris was just a regular musician who lives on planet earth.
Then he saw Axl, another musician, coming towards him wearing a feather boah, and Axl sneakers and a fur coat and bicycle shorts and one of those super long cigarettes with the holder. How would you react?

I'd think "Man... this guy actually believes himself?"

ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2005, 03:08:06 PM »

Actually, I didn't really take it as negative.? I see the teleprompters in the boots that I have.? They were always changing the set list so IMO, that wasn't a bad idea at all.? ?I love the shorts love Grin? ? ?Actually it always kind of facinates me when I read stuff like the about hallway in this case, it just tells me more of what went on behind the scenes that I haven't read about before.

Always changing their setlists?!
Almost every show on the Use Your Illusion tour was the exact same. Especially in '92.

I never minded teleprompters though. I don't see anything wrong with it. But GNR only had 3 CDs and an EP... But either way... Teleprompters = OK with me.
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2005, 03:48:45 PM »

Always changing their setlists?!
Almost every show on the Use Your Illusion tour was the exact same. Especially in '92.

I never minded teleprompters though. I don't see anything wrong with it. But GNR only had 3 CDs and an EP... But either way... Teleprompters = OK with me.

I haven't seen every show from UYI's tour, I have seen a few and yes their set lists don't change by much but by their own addmission they learn like 30 songs and pick from them.  In the shows I have seen, Coma, RNDTH, Perfect Time just to name a few haven't always been played at every concert.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 03:51:24 PM by DoubleTalkingJive » Logged

check it out!!
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2005, 11:00:19 PM »

In regards to the whole similar setlist thing, they really never had that much material to choose from.  Like someone already said, during the UYI tour they'd released 3 albums and an EP.  Its not like they had all that much to choose from.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2005, 10:49:09 AM »

In regards to the whole similar setlist thing, they really never had that much material to choose from.  Like someone already said, during the UYI tour they'd released 3 albums and an EP.  Its not like they had all that much to choose from.

I really think the whole teleprompter thing was " a just incase Axl got lost in the song or forgot a lyric here and there" not necessarily that he constantly looked at it, granted the setlists didn't change dramatically but in some concerts when he has messed the lyrics up he probably figured, put them all around so I don't do that again.  He is a perfectionist after all and that is not a bad thing sometimes but I could see why he had them.

check it out!!
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2005, 02:51:57 AM »

Yeah, I really don't think he looked at the prompters much at all.  We've all seen plenty of live GN'R footage.  How often is Axl even standing in the same place?  Its not like he's parked in front of the thing all show.  I don't have a problem with the prompters.  I'd rather him have one then completely forget a song, get pissed off, and walk off stage.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2005, 12:33:21 PM »

Cornell should be thanking Axl for letting SG open for Gnr. SG didnt get  big until after opening for Gnr, that is when they got noticed.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: