Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:36:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Chinese Democracy" and "O.K. Computer"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Chinese Democracy" and "O.K. Computer"  (Read 15828 times)
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2005, 10:16:37 PM »

chinese democracy will be the defining record of this decade, there is no doubt about it. even if the material doesn't live up to it's hype, the hype alone will carve it's way into rock and roll history.

rock n roll history as the biggest , longest running joke ever! Really though , if the material is shit then axk will never , ever live it down. If it sells slower then "Contraband" or any other VR album , he'll never live that down.

the critics/media will eat him alive , forcing him further into seclusion then ever.  nervous

I agree with that. This album is not the defining moment of rock n roll, but the defining moment of Axl's life: as the ultimate comeback rocker or the ultimate goat. Alot is on the line.

And you just have to realize that unless this album IS something very very very special , like an album you only get once , maybe twice a lifetime , unless it's that good you know the journalists allready have their reviews written. They've been written , for years. They just need the album to fill in the few blanks now empty on the review , like track names , musicans .. probably even down to album art.

All will be under the finest of microscopes , only because it's "been so long" .

I expect the critics to shrug this album off, too little too late is what they will say. Axl isn't very liked in the music world.

As an example, War of the Worlds was a very good film, but there were a signficant number of surprisingly sour reviews. They were most likely tied to Mr. Tom Cruise's Xenu enfused rants in the publicity run up. Critics are human and they don't like artists who act out in ways Axl has been known to.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2005, 10:19:45 PM »

Thanks Gypsy for the article. Cool read... ok
I def agree with you, Saul. The press is already skeptical about the album, and even if Axl put out something really good, they will bash him. I remember a review from the VMA's. Some asshole said Madagascar sounds "boring", "dated" and "cheap". I don't know if those were the exactly words, but it was something like that. Well, I submitted Madagascar to a lot of non-gnr fans and they all loved the song, even if some people didn't know that Slash wasn't playing on that tune.

Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2005, 10:25:09 PM »

Thanks Gypsy for the article. Cool read... ok
I def agree with you, Saul. The press is already skeptical about the album, and even if Axl put out something really good, they will bash him. I remember a review from the VMA's. Some asshole said Madagascar sounds "boring", "dated" and "cheap". I don't know if those were the exactly words, but it was something like that. Well, I submitted Madagascar to a lot of non-gnr fans and they all loved the song, even if some people didn't know that Slash wasn't playing on that tune.

Yes. Madagascar usually stands up to my blind tatse tests , IE: play it for groups of friends and not tell them who it is or when it was recorded.

But I have had people say it sounds too much like someone trying to put a modern spin on a led zep type sound/song.  Huh

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2005, 10:27:21 PM »

Saul and Vector, I disagree. I think the critics will surprisingly have an open mind when reviewing CD. They are just as intrigued by this album as we are. Sure, there'll be a few spiteful reviews, but most will take an honest look at it. If it sucks, they'll say so. If its great, they'll say so. Remember, Illusions got pretty good reviews, even though Axl was bashing the media at the time. They're not gonna give CD one star or an F just because Axl 'took so long'.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2005, 10:30:04 PM »

Hey Saul, how's this for a taste test: I played the new songs for my mom, and she thought it was 'old' GNR. LMAO!!

Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2005, 10:31:57 PM »

Hey Saul, how's this for a taste test: I played the new songs for my mom, and she thought it was 'old' GNR. LMAO!!

hmm , but what "era" of old gnr? afd or uyi?

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2005, 10:35:48 PM »

Saul and Vector, I disagree. I think the critics will surprisingly have an open mind when reviewing CD. They are just as intrigued by this album as we are. Sure, there'll be a few spiteful reviews, but most will take an honest look at it. If it sucks, they'll say so. If its great, they'll say so. Remember, Illusions got pretty good reviews, even though Axl was bashing the media at the time. They're not gonna give CD one star or an F just because Axl 'took so long'.

I guarantee you that almost every major media review will site how long this album took and the connotation will not be positive. The length of this process will be viewed as a detriment.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2005, 11:03:37 PM »

Saul, I think she meant 'UYI' era GNR. She always hated AFD, but liked 'November Rain', 'Estranged', 'Yesterdays', and 'Dust N Bones'.

Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2005, 11:05:02 PM »

Saul, I think she meant 'UYI' era GNR. She always hated AFD, but liked 'November Rain', 'Estranged', 'Yesterdays', and 'Dust N Bones'.

well then I can kinda agree with that assesment. Madagascar does have that plodding , building type feel to it of Nov Rain and Estranged.

damien24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2005, 02:13:53 AM »

we wont have any idea the significance of this album untill it comes out,
at the time of O.K computers release (im not a huge radio head fan- but i am thinking of buying this disc since...its the best?)      the album might be good, but will it be considered "a classic album"  like dark side of the moon in 30 years?.   how long did it take dark side to become a classic?  certainly not before it was released as we're speculating chinesse democracy to be.

we dont know how something will influence the world before it was ever made-   its like saying back in 1800 (or whatever)..  i cant wait for picassos next painting,  its going to change the art world-   heck- picasso's influence was'nt even felt untill sometime after he died and his paintings were great not only for its time-  but for times after as well.   

i guess what im trying to say is axl should cut off his own ear..no...wait.

but you all see my point anyways-   30 years from now O.k. computer might be down somewhere on that list around the 15-16 area,  and that Down album might be at the top?, 
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2005, 11:05:30 AM »

CD should have a 4 part grading scale that all the critics should answer to....

1-How does it compare to Old GNR
2- How does it compare to the present
3-How is the album by just listening to it without all the history and drama
4- Was it worth the wait

If they can sorta review the album liek that then maybe they wont bombard the review with all the negativity. I dont care if a journalist doesnt like it..as long as they dont like it cause the music sux not becuase theres no Slash and Axl is an Asshole...then its fine with me. Just review the music
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 11:15:03 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2005, 11:24:35 AM »

CD should have a 4 part grading scale that all the critics should answer to....

1-How does it compare to Old GNR
2- How does it compare to the present
3-How is the album by just listening to it without all the history and drama
4- Was it worth the wait

If they can sorta review the album liek that then maybe they wont bombard the review with all the negativity. I dont care if a journalist doesnt like it..as long as they dont like it cause the music sux not becuase theres no Slash and Axl is an Asshole...then its fine with me. Just review the music

U realize your post is a total contradiction & makes no sense, right? 1st u say to compare it to old GNR, then u say it's alright not to like it, just as long as it's not because Slash isn't there. Then they're supposed to judge it without paying attention to all the drama/waiting, then it's was it worth the wait?
 All reviewrs should just simply go in with an open mind & judge the music on it's merit. Doesn't matter if it's GNR or N'Sync, it's just how good is it.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2005, 11:51:28 AM »

i guess what im trying to say is axl should cut off his own ear..no...wait.
that was van gogh. Roll Eyes
but thanx for the laugh though. Grin

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2005, 01:11:34 PM »

U realize your post is a total contradiction & makes no sense, right? 1st u say to compare it to old GNR, then u say it's alright not to like it, just as long as it's not because Slash isn't there. Then they're supposed to judge it without paying attention to all the drama/waiting, then it's was it worth the wait?
It can suck compared to old gnr not just because of the old mebers are gone but because of the feel of the album, the attitude,vibe, etc. No directly player for player.

I agree with ur last statement..it should just be judged for what it is. But it wont be. ANd being thats the case if the reviewer can break it down then we can get a more honest review

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2005, 01:18:47 PM »

i must agree that younggunner's post was a total contradiction.

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2005, 10:12:19 PM »

i must agree that younggunner's post was a total contradiction.

and i thought i was captain obvious  Roll Eyes

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2005, 08:45:05 PM »

After all this time, the money, the fan support and the musicians, I expect a daring, eclectric, traditional and at the same time progressive album.

And I'm sure Axl has better sources than Radiohead to find inspiration for that.

"O.K.Computer" is just one of the most pretentious, boring and overrated albums of all time. Their lead singer obviously just sucked a little too hard on Michael Stipe's cock.

Well said  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2005, 09:09:03 PM »

OK Computer is a masterpiece

Some of you people need to broaden your horizons a little

I also think along with Achtung Baby, it is a very good reference point for CD (in terms of how we've heard the new material described)

Ok Computer is a masterpiece indeed.

I would name Zooropa(or even Pop) would be a better reference point.

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2005, 09:17:18 PM »

Funny how everyone keeps using a U2 reference when referring to CD. Not a bad reference though. I've said this awhile back when U2's new album came out, but I'll say it again: CD is gonna sell in large numbers. But, if Axl wants this album all over the radio and wants people of all ages to get into it, he needs a first single similar to 'Vertigo'. That was one of the catchiest tunes released in many years. Genius move by Bono in having that song as the 1st single. It caused the album to sell immediately after its release. Axl needs a first single that not just hardcore fans like, but a song that old people dig and young kids can dance to.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2005, 09:32:23 PM »

I doubt it will have any sort of OKC type of resonance, I don't think that's even realistic at this point in the game. 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: