Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 10:33:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227937 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Anyone here ever a member of the old fan club?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone here ever a member of the old fan club?  (Read 3313 times)
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« on: August 10, 2005, 05:09:08 PM »

So was anyone here a member of the old fan club? The reason I am asking is I think there is a connection with the fan club and a phone call I got way back about the time Slash left the band. I figure that its the only way they (this person) would have had my phone number.
Anyway as I said I got this phone call one evening. The person on the line started by asking if they could ask me some questions about my music interests. So I figured hell its a tele-marketer that actually wants to ask me ?? I would like to answer. So I said sure! They began to ask me wide Huh about my favorite bands. Quickly they realized I was truelly a GNR fan. The Questioning went on to Huh like these:
How far would you travel to see gnr?
How far have you traveled to see gnr?
What kind of venue have you seen them in and what kind of venue do you like best?
Would you go see gnr if Axl was no longer in the line up?
Would you go see gnr if Slash was no longer in the line up?
And a few ?? I can't think of anymore. I thought it was quite interesting that I had gotten the call in the first place. I often think of it and have never run into anyone else who got a call like this. There must of been many of these calls made.
And as a side note I have often wondered about the person I talked too that night. I had a lot of fun talking to them. Wish I new more....
So did any of you get a call back in the day like that?
And no I didn't dream it!
amyl

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 05:41:12 PM »

No and Yes Tongue

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 06:02:56 PM »

1: there is no gnr without Axl
2: yes

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 06:23:07 PM »

1: there is no gnr without Axl

Let's say, hypothetically, that Slash was the one who blackmailed the rest of the band before a show into signing over the Guns N' Roses name to him (which he wouldn't do, because he's not a douche like a certain someone).

And hypothetically, let's say Slash went off and resumed Guns N' Roses with a completely new lineup, leaving himself as the original member.

If that happened, wouldn't we be able to say "there's no Guns N' Roses without Slash"?

What I'm saying is, the original lineup is all that matters. When GNR eventually gets in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it will not be Axl Rose appreciation night. You won't see Buckethead, Tommy or Robin there.

It will be dedicated to Guns N' Roses, the way it was, and the way it should be remembered.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 06:30:25 PM »

Thanks for answering my post. But I am not asking you these questions!! These were the questions asked of me, years ago!

MATT-A-REAL-FAN
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 07:26:32 PM »

Yo,
 I got a similiar phone call. It was before they started touring in '02. I was just getting ready to walk out? the door and I answered the phone,thinking it was my brother,who was picking me up,waiting outside for me.

It was a survey company and this one was about music. She listed several names and asked if I would see them in concert,if I had,would I go again,would I travel to see them,etc. I remember one of the other names was Eminem and I think Papa Roach too.? You could answer yes,no,maybe,definitely yes,definitely no to all of the questions.

She asked me if I would go see Guns N' Roses and then would I go see Axl regardless if he toured under the GNR name. I cut her off quick and said "Yes! It doesn't matter. Doesn't matter. He's my favorite and I'm there. I don't care."

Once she realized that,she had a couple more only GNR specific questions,as I had answered "definitely yes" to all of GNR questions and then thanked me for my time.

I asked her who she worked for and she said they were an independent survey company hired to do this type of thing. I never asked her how she got my name. I hung up,went outside,told my bro all about it.
 Btw,I was only on the phone a total of 5 minutes.

I'm guessin' that I was called from some form I had filled out,whether online or in person at a show or maybe my name was on a list and just sold to some company.

I've never belonged to the original fan club,so I know that ain't it.
I believe that bands will do this type of thing to gauge interest in coming to your area or perhaps touring at all.
 Movie companies do a similiar thing,when they do early screenings of films to see what the public likes and dislikes. They go back and change certain things like the ending or even the title.

I got another call a few months ago,maybe late last year,actually,about local politics and my voting choices and a local councilman in the news.
At first,I answered a couple of questions and then asked the guy who he was working for and he said,"I'm not at liberty to say." I repeated what he said in question form and he said "Yes",so I said "We have nothing to discuss at this point",and hung up.

After I got off the phone with the woman music surveyor from '02,I felt good,hoping that I had help contribute to having GNR play here (Philly) again.

Weeeeellll.....they were SUPPOSED to do 2 shows.... Angry ....but,that's been told before and now's not the time anyway to rehash.?

Okay,one really quick rant:? AXL!! YOU STILL OWE PHILLY!!!? BIG TIME!!!! ?IT'S A FACT JACK!! rant

Anyway,there ya go.
 If ya want the short version of that story....then,Yes. I had a similiar phone call. And,No. I was never a member of the old fan club.? Grin

? GNR FOREVER!!

? ? ? ? MATT

Eric
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 08:23:04 PM »

I was a member of the old fanclub-I still have my membership card-I think it ended around '95-they used to send out a newsletter I think about 4 times a year-it was pretty neat-a funny thing-one of the last newsletters I received I remember had a message from Duff to the fans-something along the lines of " Don't believe the rumors-were writing new songs for the new album"-hilarious.
wr
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 08:46:55 PM »

Willow,
I received the same phone call and like you often wondered what was going on.  Same questions.  I especially remember the questions about whether I would go see GNR
without Slash and vice versa.  Thought it was very odd at the time.  This was approximately
96/97, not really sure about the year.  I had at some point before then "tried" to join the
fan club.  Sent money but never received anything back, just a strange phone call.   Glad to
know someone else got that call.

wr
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 05:54:43 AM »

Cool guys thanks for responding! I wondered for a while if it was a pranck or not too. I wish bands did that more often. Now I don't feel so weird about it!
And yes she told me the same thing about being from an independent company too.
WR I'm glad I got you to make your first post! Welcome to the board!

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 06:04:44 AM »

I think they did a similar survey on the GN'R mailinglist in 1996/97.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 10:42:48 AM »

So was anyone here a member of the old fan club? The reason I am asking is I think there is a connection with the fan club and a phone call I got way back about the time Slash left the band. I figure that its the only way they (this person) would have had my phone number.
Anyway as I said I got this phone call one evening. The person on the line started by asking if they could ask me some questions about my music interests. So I figured hell its a tele-marketer that actually wants to ask me ?? I would like to answer. So I said sure! They began to ask me wide Huh about my favorite bands. Quickly they realized I was truelly a GNR fan. The Questioning went on to Huh like these:
How far would you travel to see gnr?
How far have you traveled to see gnr?
What kind of venue have you seen them in and what kind of venue do you like best?
And a few ?? I can't think of anymore. I thought it was quite interesting that I had gotten the call in the first place. I often think of it and have never run into anyone else who got a call like this. There must of been many of these calls made.
And as a side note I have often wondered about the person I talked too that night. I had a lot of fun talking to them. Wish I new more....
So did any of you get a call back in the day like that?
And no I didn't dream it!
amyl

I was a member of the old snail mail fan club out of california and I remember questions like that..
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 06:16:09 PM »

It sounds to me like Axl was polling his fans to see the reaction to Slash's departure. Axl's like a politician that never runs for office.

mrsaxlrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 06:35:06 PM »

I was a member of the fan club, still have all my membership stuff; I don't remember ever receiving any phone calls though

Yes, dammit, I WILL be Mrs. Axl Rose someday soon....
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 05:52:40 PM »

Thanks guys! At least I don't feel crazy anymore. I had a friend pulling prank calls on me at the time and I was worried that he got someone to ask me the questions. Didn't think he could pull it off, but always wondered.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: