Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 08:46:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227976 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Hair Metal
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hair Metal  (Read 14189 times)
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« on: August 28, 2005, 07:51:22 PM »

Ok, I've had to come out and defend hair metal several times on this board.  I think its time we have a hair metal thread to discuss hair metal, instead of me having to argue about it with everyone in various other threads.  What's everybody's problem with hair metal?  I know there's gotta be some more people on this board that like it.  What bands do you consider hair metal?  I think there's been some great hair metal bands.  In fact some of my favorite bands are considered hair metal.  Yeah!  I set the world record for most times using the word hair metal in one post.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 08:10:58 PM »

i love hair metal, fuckin' love it ok ok ok ok ok beer

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 08:12:35 PM »

Somehow, bands like Poison, Cinderella, and Enuff Z' Nuff (cock rock) get mixed in with real metal bands like Motley Crue, Skid Row, WASP, Ratt, Dokken, and Turbo-era Judas Priest. tr00 metalheads dismiss the whole genre because of this. People don't like the image of the bands, much like people make fun of black metal for the KISS style makeup some of the bands use. They ignore the music and mock the image. They're too insecure, since they know their own taste in music is probably very lacking.

Make them listen to WASP's album The Crimson Idol, and they will quickly change their minds.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 08:21:23 PM »

I agree that bands like Poison, Cinderella, and Enuff Z' Nuff should not be considered metal.  I am a fan of all those bands, but they're not metal.  I think that is part of why those bands are looked down upon.  Metalheads don't like bands like that being referred to as "metal".  For some reason bands like that are lumped inot the metal category by some people.  I don't even think the bands themselves would consider themselves metal.  Poison knows they're not metal.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 08:24:19 PM »

Has there ever been a fully bald hair-metal unit?

-----------

I like alot of "hair metal", as much as I can notice such horrid hair metal that makes me understand why it's so laughed upon by many.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 08:40:11 PM »

Has there ever been a fully bald hair-metal unit?

WHAT?Huh??
the dude from Strapping Young Lad has a full blown skullet happening.

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 09:56:55 PM »

Somehow, bands like Poison, Cinderella, and Enuff Z' Nuff (cock rock) get mixed in with real metal bands like Motley Crue, Skid Row, WASP, Ratt, Dokken,

Motley Crue and Skid Row are rock n roll bands, just like Guns N Roses.  They aren't metal.  If they were, I wouldn't listen to them.  Ratt and Dokken are good but they aren't any better than Poison.  All of them are among the same vein.  Cinderella is okay but nothing special.

But I do agree with your sentiment.  Several good bands got dismissed as "hair bands" when they really weren't.  Motley Crue and Skid Row are at the top of the list.  Yeah, Motley had the makeup and glam look early on, but the music was straightforward hard rock, no bullshit.  As for Skid Row, hell, they never even wore makeup.  They got called a hair band just because of the timeframe they came onto the scene.
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 10:05:41 PM »

I don't think that "Hair Metal" should be the term for it, "Glam Rock" suites it a lot better. I know they mean the same thing, but Glam Rock dosn't specify metal and includes guys like Poison and Cinderella. I was never really into the glam part of it, but I liked the music. I wouldn't mind dressing up like Vince from the 80's though...   Cheesy

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 10:14:31 PM »

I wouldn't mind dressing up like Vince from the 80's though...? ?Cheesy

It would definitely get you laid a lot.   Grin
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 10:48:13 PM »

I wouldn't mind dressing up like Vince from the 80's though...? ?Cheesy

It would definitely get you laid a lot.? ?Grin

Thats is, if the salmon can still flow upstream with the tights pushing down on the crotch  hihi

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 11:12:09 PM »

Motley Crue and Skid Row are rock n roll bands, just like Guns N Roses.  They aren't metal.  If they were, I wouldn't listen to them.  Ratt and Dokken are good but they aren't any better than Poison.  All of them are among the same vein.  Cinderella is okay but nothing special.

But I do agree with your sentiment.  Several good bands got dismissed as "hair bands" when they really weren't.  Motley Crue and Skid Row are at the top of the list.  Yeah, Motley had the makeup and glam look early on, but the music was straightforward hard rock, no bullshit.  As for Skid Row, hell, they never even wore makeup.  They got called a hair band just because of the timeframe they came onto the scene.

Shout at the Devil is definitely metal. Motley Crue deserves to be called metal for that album alone, since it was their creative peak. Skid Row was completely metal during the Bach years, except for a few ballads.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 11:26:48 PM »

The genre got a bad name because it burnt itself out and the new bands that came out in the late 80`s started to sound like bad carbon copies of the ones who started the scene.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 02:56:56 AM »

The genre got a bad name because it burnt itself out and the new bands that came out in the late 80`s started to sound like bad carbon copies of the ones who started the scene.

Very true.  After hair metal became popular, tons of bands got signed to record deals just cause they had that look.  Many of them had no business putting out albums, but any band with that look was given a shot at that point.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 10:46:11 AM »

Dave Mustaine

G.L.A.M. = Gay L.A Music  ok

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 01:04:51 PM »

In a recent interview Mustaine said he was a fan of both Cinderella and Ratt.  The interview is in the Gigantour thread.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 01:21:43 PM »

Hair metal rocks. i love Poison, Cinderalla. BTW, is Queensryche Hair metal??

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 01:29:08 PM »

I would say no regarding Queensryche.  Their first few albums are straight up metal (Iron Maiden style stuff).  Then they started to develop into more of a prog metal band.  The only album of theirs that could be considered hair metal is Empire, which is their most commercial album by far.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 01:37:40 PM »

The only hair metal that I like is guns n rosos in their early days, those bands like poison or cinderella or motley I think they suck puke
Queensyrceh in the first years they look a lot like hair metal but with the years go by they change for the best  Grin

No man can be my equal
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 02:37:19 PM »

I love hair metal - okay its fairly stupid but its fun - sometimes u want something that isn't too serious and has more guitar solo's than u can shake a stick at

For sheer fist pumping anthems no genre does it better than hair metal peace

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 02:43:40 PM »

That's the spirit, Izzy.  Music should be fun...at least some of the time.  Bands like Poison, Bon Jovi, Cinderella...they all had a good time with what they were doing.  Why should that be considered a bad thing?

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: