Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 09:54:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227937 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The Hurricane Katrina thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hurricane Katrina thread  (Read 32916 times)
POPmetal
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2005, 03:28:51 AM »

Anybody who thinks global warming is NOT aiding to these storms is foolish indeed.

Cell phones would be a tremendous help right now. Drop a few thousand off down there would help quite a bit.

Right, but there's about as much sound evidence that global warming is caused by human activity, and that it's not a natural cycle, as there is that cell phones cause cancer.

Says you, Mr bad analogy man.

[turns ON impersonation of SLCPUKE]
That's just your opinion, I'm right.
[turns OFF impersonation of SLCPUKE]
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2005, 03:29:34 AM »

Here's a list of what countries are donating for Hurricane Katrian relief....
Countries like Canada, UK, Italy, France, Germany etc. are providing those things because Washington asked specifically for only those things from them, which are in really short supply. The U.S doesn't need cash.

Fuck 'Em All.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2005, 03:32:45 AM »

Anybody who thinks global warming is NOT aiding to these storms is foolish indeed.

Cell phones would be a tremendous help right now. Drop a few thousand off down there would help quite a bit.

Right, but there's about as much sound evidence that global warming is caused by human activity, and that it's not a natural cycle, as there is that cell phones cause cancer.

Actually it should have read:

"That's just your opinion...your dumb"

But other than that you nailed it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 08:13:38 AM by Jim » Logged
POPmetal
« Reply #143 on: September 07, 2005, 03:34:09 AM »

Actually it should have read:

"That's just your opinion...your dumb"

But other than that you nailed it.

true rofl my bad  peace
SLCPUNK
« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2005, 03:43:30 AM »

The U.S doesn't need cash.

The USA is in debt up to their eyeballs...(Thanks to you know who.)
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2005, 05:17:42 AM »

The U.S doesn't need cash.

The USA is in debt up to their eyeballs...(Thanks to you know who.)

just like every *rich* countries in the world.

the usa doesnt need cash  ? that's for sure, but the black people i saw on tv sure need some.
so if you're happy that p diddy has cash, then good for you.

Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2005, 06:09:51 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, Genesis is from India so he was just taking a guess I suppose.

What is sad now is for the people who are coming back to the coast to find their house devastated or flooded...and then what, from there? I mean, how are they supposed to work when the office buildings are destroyed and most of N.O economy doesn't exist anymore? That's a fucked up situation...

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2005, 06:39:17 AM »

Here's a list of what countries are donating for Hurricane Katrian relief. Some of these offers are shocking and pretty much a slap to the face. And I'm talking about the some of the riches countries in the world and what they offered. I was really impressed when I first heard about countries all over the world that were going to help out with Hurrican Katrina, but the list is rather disapppointing.

As of September 6, the official list of donor countries includes:

Canada - 2 helos, 32-person rescue team, Air Canada evacuation flights, medical supplies
http://usinfo.state.gov/gi/Archive/2005/Sep/06-611544.html

Actually we are also sending several warships and coast guard ships down with over 1000 personel to help in any way.

Canadian ships sail to rescue

KATRINA: THE AFTERMATH
Canadian ships sail to rescue
As U.S. envoy thanks Ottawa 'for giving us your best,' schools open to usher in a semblance of normalcy

By GLORIA GALLOWAY

Wednesday, September 7, 2005 Page A1

With reports from Brian Laghi, Agence France-Presse, AP and Reuters

HALIFAX -- There will be hand-knitted teddy bears for the youngest of the survivors and body bags for those who died in the water's grasp.

Nearly 1,000 Canadian military personnel set out of this port yesterday on a mission to bring aid to those people caught in the worst natural disaster ever to befall the United States.

On the sunny deck of HMCS Athabaskan, the lead ship in the four-vessel convoy, politicians from both sides of the border praised the expedition as a clear demonstration of the deep bond between Canada and its large southern neighbour.

Until hurricane Katrina wiped out much of the U.S. Gulf Coast, U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins had spent a good part of his brief tenure deflecting Canadian outrage over softwood lumber. Yesterday, he had a chance to talk about friendship instead of irritants.

"On behalf of my grateful country, thank you," he told the sailors and those who sent them on the journey of rescue.

"Thanks to all Canadians for giving us your best when we needed you most."

The Canadian assistance is a reminder to all victims of this disaster, Mr. Wilkins said, "that the human spirit is, at its best, more forceful and powerful than any storm."

As the Canadian ships prepared to leave yesterday, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said he saw the first "rays of light" in his devastated city as army engineers began pumping the putrid water that had submerged entire neighbourhoods back into Lake Pontchartrain. Late last night, however, he instructed law enforcement and the U.S. military to forcefully evacuate residents who refuse to leave.

In Washington, President George W. Bush announced an investigation into "what went wrong" with the federal response to the destruction wreaked by hurricane Katrina in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi. The U.S. government has been slammed in recent days for taking so long to send help to the devastated Gulf Coast region. A congressional official said Mr. Bush intends to seek $40-billion to cover the next phase of relief and recovery operations.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Paul Martin, who was among those who arrived to see the Canadian ships set out for the U.S. South, promised that Canada will take in Americans displaced by the hurricane if asked to do so.

Appearing on CTV Newsnet, the Prime Minister reiterated an earlier undertaking by Public Safety Minister Anne McLellan.

"If we're asked to do so, we will certainly do so," said Mr. Martin, adding that he expects the Canadian contribution will increase down the line.

"I don't think there is any doubt that this is going to be a very long-term process and, as I said to the President almost a week ago, look, whatever it is they need, we have it, and it will be there as long as they need it."

The Prime Minister shrugged off questions about whether Mr. Bush was too slow to respond, saying the important issue is to offer as much help as possible.

Asked whether Canada would be ready in such a disaster, Mr. Martin said Canada is in good shape, but that Canada will learn from the experience in Louisiana and Mississippi.

Athabaskan, HMCS Toronto, HMCS Ville de Quebec and the Sir William Alexander, a Coast Guard buoy finder, will take four to five days to reach the Louisiana coast. Once there, the military personnel will operate under the orders of Canadian Commander Dean McFadden but will perform whatever tasks the Americans request of them.

The Canadians, who are taking four helicopters, motorized rafts, inflatable boats and a sea truck that can drive through the high fetid water covering New Orleans, believe their primary role may be to move relief goods from warehouses and hangars to the areas where people need them.

The supplies that have been loaded onto the ships were gathered over the holiday weekend -- much of it by the people of Halifax.

The cargo includes blankets, cots, syringes, diapers, baby wipes, tents and food. It also includes about 300 teddy bears knitted by a group of local women who make toys for charity. And then there are the 1,000 body bags.

"We need to get whatever corpses are in the water out of there," Lieutenant Marie-Claude Gagn?, a communications officer, said matter-of-factly. Like many of the others on the mission, she was called back from leave to help with the hurricane relief.

The ships are outfitted for 30 days, but Lt. Gagn? said "we can stay as long as we are needed."

When the extent of the devastation became clear late last week, the Canadian government asked the United States what it could do to help, but American authorities were too busy to respond. The military went ahead with plans for the relief mission, assuming that whatever resources it could take to the region would ultimately be needed.

"The pictures on TV, devastating though they may be, can in no way convey the reality of the lack of hope and the suffering that the people of the United States are going through as a result of Katrina," Mr. Martin said.

"Canada was built by neighbours helping neighbours in times of crisis and that doesn't only apply within our borders."

General Rick Hillier, Canada's Chief of the Defence Staff, said the role of the military is to help those who are in desperate need.

"It just so happens that those who need help are our friends, our allies and our neighbours."

But it was the U.S. ambassador who delivered the most moving tribute. There have been other times when the United States was hurting, such as after the terrorist attacks of four years ago, when Canada proved its friendship, Mr. Wilkins said.

"And once again Canada is coming to our rescue early and eagerly," he said.

"What you are doing today, ladies and gentlemen, is important. You are saving lives. And to those survivors in the United States, you are helping build back their lives."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050907/STORMCAN07/TPInternational/Americas
-----

The ships left yesterday for the Gulf Coast, and should be there by Friday.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2005, 07:46:09 AM »

all we got was food from Britain? Their food is horrible anyway. Haggis anyone?

You think they'd send that?

I don't think you'd be expecting a gourmet meal if you were living in a sports arena with nothing but the clothes you're wearing as your only belonging.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2005, 11:54:58 AM »

Not only does the Federal government have broad powers of national emergency that supercedes state law, it has complete jurisdiction over waterways that cross state lines. The river became part of New Orleans it also came under total federal jurisdiction. Period.

The city was right in the middle of the river now, and the US Marines could have dropped right in there if they felt like it. Took charge of the dome...done. They could have made camp right on Bourbon street, and been perfectly legal.

Instead they couldn't even spare a dingy.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2005, 12:34:54 PM »

WASHINGTON - The federal government plans to begin doling out debit cards worth $2,000 each to adult victims of Hurricane Katrina, The Associated Press has learned.

Homeland Security Department Secretary
Michael Chertoff descibed the plan in a conference call with state officials Wednesday morning. The unprecedented cash card program initially will benefit stranded people who have been moved to major rescue centers such as the Houston Astrodome.

"They are going to start issuing debit cards, $2,000 per adult, today at the Astrodome," said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

The cards could be used to buy food, transportation, gas and other essentials the displaced people need, according to a state official who was on the call and requested anonymity because the program has not been publicly announced.

___
POPmetal
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2005, 01:32:25 PM »

A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll of 609 adults taken September 5-6 shows:

Blame Game -- 13% said George W. Bush is "most responsible for the problems in New Orleans after the hurricane"; 18% said "federal agencies"; 25% said "state and local officials"; 38% said "no one is to blame"; 6% had no opinion. -- 29% said that "top officials in the federal agencies responsible for handling emergencies should be fired"; 63% said they should not; 8% had no opinion.

How predictable. That's teh usual 13% of MoveOn.org types who would blame Bush for everything.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2005, 04:41:22 PM »

Blame Game -- 13% said George W. Bush is "most responsible for the problems in New Orleans after the hurricane"; 18% said "federal agencies"; 25% said "state and local officials"; 38% said "no one is to blame"; 6% had no opinion. -- 29% said that "top officials in the federal agencies responsible for handling emergencies should be fired"; 63% said they should not; 8% had no opinion.

How predictable. That's teh usual 13% of MoveOn.org types who would blame Bush for everything.

I guess some people think the president actually is responsible when something this big happens and things don't get done properly in time.

Other people would never blame the president for anything.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
POPmetal
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2005, 05:07:21 PM »

I guess some people think the president actually is responsible when something this big happens and things don't get done properly in time.

Other people would never blame the president for anything.

/jarmo

That's true. There are about the same number 10-15% on the other side who would never blame Bush for anything.

And Bush does bare some part of the blame. If it was me in charge, I would have declared martial law, sent in the national guard, and just ignored the people who were inevitably going to chastise me for abusing power (which is basically the same looney 13%).
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2005, 05:41:59 PM »

all we got was food from Britain? Their food is horrible anyway. Haggis anyone?

nothing wrong with haggis, plenty of nutrients and it gives you plenty of energy, so it would be ideal for people in that situation...

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2005, 09:08:11 PM »

Its the though of eating intestine, where poop was at one time.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
SLCPUNK
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2005, 10:49:24 PM »

Hunger is the best cook.
Sterlingdog
« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2005, 11:11:10 PM »

Michael Sings for Katrina Relief
Tue Sep 6, 5:00 AM

Michael Jackson is ready for action.

The entertainer, who's been enjoying a lengthy vacation in the United Arab Emigrates, has announced plans to record a song to benefit victims of Hurricane Katrina. The song, titled "From the Bottom of My Heart," is set to be released on 2 Seas Records, a label owned by Prince Abdulla Hamad Alkhalifa of Bahrain.

"It pains me to watch the human suffering taking place in the Gulf Region of my country," Jackson said in a statement. "My heart and prayers go out to every individual who has had to endure the pain and suffering caused by this tragedy. I will be reaching out to others within the music industry, to join me in helping to bring relief and hope to these resilient people who have lost everything."

Of course, Jackson isn't the only celebrity pitching in on relief efforts.

Many of Hollywood's A-listers have been vocal about their contributions to hurricane-related charities in an effort to inspire donations from the masses.

Here's a look at how some famous folk are lending a hand in Katrina's wake:

George Clooney donated $1 million to the United Way for hurricane relief. "There isn't much any of us can do right now but pour money into this tragedy," Clooney said. "We're all in this one together."

Steven Spielberg and his family donated $750,000 to the American Red Cross for immediate relief and $750,000 to the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund for long term recoveryefforts.

Mississippi-based author John Grisham and his wife established the Rebuild The Coast Fund to aid in relief efforts on Mississippi's Gulf Coast and made an initial contribution of $5 million.

Oprah Winfrey spent time Monday among the 18,500 New Orleans evacuees who have taken refuge in Houston's Astrodome. "My pledge is to keep the stories of these people alive," the Queen of Daytime said.

Macy Gray also visited with displaced New Orleanians at the Astrodome, where she handed out clothes and toiletries on Saturday. "I just really wanted to help out," Gray said. "It is crazy when you don't know what is going to happen to you the next day and suddenly that is what their lives are like." Jamie Foxx hosted an auction event at Miami's Delano Hotel at which more $600,000 was raised in a few hours for the American Red Cross. A New Year's Eve date with Paris Hilton was sold for $200,000, while a date with Colin Farrell went for $10,000. Guests paid $200 a ticket to attend the event.

Producers of American Idol announced that the season four contestants would add a date to their Idols Live! Tour and play a Sept. 11 concert in Syracuse, New York to benefit relief efforts.

Organizers of Ozzfest teamed with Red Cross volunteers to accept cash donations from concertgoers Sunday at the tour's final date in West Palm Beach, Florida.

Green Day, R.E.M., John Cusack, Tim Robbins, Pearl Jam, Moby, the Beastie Boys and the Roots are among those who have joined with MoveOn.org to find housing for victims of the hurricane at HurricaneHousing.org.

Willie Nelson launched a radio ad campaign calling for donations for farmers who suffered severe losses due to Hurricane Katrina to be made through FarmAid.org.

Harry Connick Jr. and Branford Marsalis were named honorary chairs of Habitat for Humanity's "Operation Home Delivery, a long-term rebuilding plan for families left homeless by the hurricane.

Barry Manilow will add a dollar to each dollar donated through the Manilow Fund for Health and Hope with the fund also adding a dollar, turning a $1 donation into $3.

The Recording Academy has set up a relief fund with an initial donation of $1 million to help "music people" in need.

Montel Williams plans to devote an episode of his hour-long syndicated show to Hurricane Relief on Sept. 12.

The Urban Television Network, partnering with the Oasis Foundation, said it would put on a national telethon, a concert series and other events for hurricane relief.

Starting Sunday, Manhattan jazz musicians will embark on "When the Saints Go Marching In," a weeklong effort to raise money for the American Red Cross by playing concerts in clubs throughout the city.

MTV, VH1 and CMT's benefit special, ReAct Now, airs Saturday, featuring performances from the Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Paul McCartney, the Neville Brothers and Kanye West.

Stars including Sheryl Crow, the Dixie Chicks, Alicia Keys, Randy Newman, Paul Simon, Rod Stewart and Neil Young are scheduled to perform on Shelter for the Storm: A Concert for the Gulf Coast, a primetime benefit special to be simulcast on numerous networks, including E!, on Friday. Jennifer Aniston, Cameron Diaz, Ellen DeGeneres, Jack Nicholson and Chris Rock are among the celebrities slated to appear.

Finally, there was at least one celeb whose relief efforts reportedly didn't pan out as planned. According to published reports, Sean Penn traveled to New Orleans and boarded a small motor boat with the intention of rescuing children still stranded by the storm. Unfortunately, Penn apparently neglected to plug a hole in the boat, which began taking on water, forcing the actor to start bailing and thwarting his rescue attempts.

However, according to an eyewitness, Penn continued his efforts and went on to rescue numerous people in need. "I witnessed him rescuing up to 40 people," Douglas Brinkley, who was there on assignment for Rolling Stone, told the New York Daily News. "He was up to his waist in toxic muck."

Sterlingdog
« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2005, 11:11:43 PM »

Thank goodness we still have Michael. 
SLCPUNK
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2005, 01:42:35 AM »

Thank goodness we still have Michael. 

It is nice that he is offering this. But after so many surgeries you can barely recognize the guy anymore....

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: