Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 03:52:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The chances of CD being a double album??
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The chances of CD being a double album??  (Read 3213 times)
GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« on: September 14, 2005, 07:13:51 PM »

I know what your thinking...Dead Horse? Perhaps. However,
I was listening to The Smashing Pumpkins album 'Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness' the other day, which is like a double CD concept album. It's over two hours of music and a lot of the songs are epic pieces. It made me think,Mellon Collie was written,recorded and released in under 2 years and CD has been in the making for what? 6? Although double albums can sometimes be hit and miss, with a lot of filler etc, CDwouldn't need to be like that. Think about it, Axl must have more than 2 CD's worth of music after all this time. He could put all the best songs onto the double album and have a double album where every song is classic! An album that would make Rock n Roll history. I think Axl needs to do something BIG like this after all these years, not only to give back to the fans who he has left in the dark (Whatever you say, he's given us very little info) but it would really shut the critics up too. Unfortunately if Axl just comes out of hiding this year after the failed tour with a 10 track album of hit n miss material it would be commercial suicide. I think he knows this. A single album of classic songs would do the trick but a double album would just make so much more impact I feel. Anyone agree??

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
UseYourAppetite
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 08:30:17 AM »

I think it will be something big, perhaps a double or two albums coming out at the same time (like the illusion project) but i'll guess we'll have to wait and see.. drool
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 08:57:28 AM »

Whatever 'it' is, I hope the fans don't get ripped off.

I'd prefer single albums released simultaneously or within a short space of time of each other.

Here today...ready to rock
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 10:51:46 AM »

I agree a double album would be an impressive move.  It'd allow for more of everything - which is what I believe they've done: everything.  A little bit of this, a bit o' that and yet something else, too.  There will be something for everyone.  Just like the existig GN'R catalogue.  A double album would allow for more of the variety to come through.

Of course, a single 12-16 track album still adequately allows for there to be a few from each segment of the spectrum they're covering. Something like 4 epics, 6-8 straight/moderate to hard rockin' tracks, 4 radio/pop/hooky tracks and a couple tracks that are yet something else.

What do I consider 'something else'?  Something like the track "Village Gorilla Head" on Tommy's album of the same name.    It was groovy and off the beaten path. 

Could also include some 'signature' pieces from individual band members as well.  It could have a "Dizzy Special"... perhaps even as an stand alone instrumental.  There could be a couple of "Tommy Tunes" which Tommy sings lead / duets with Axl.  And I'd love there to be an all out guitar extravaganza featuring Robin and Richard whether they team up or go 'solo lead' on two seperate tracks.  Or one of each!  One Robin, One Richard, and then one where they tear it up together.

So a single album would be quite satisfactory but a double album would allow for so much more (like the tracks I mention right above).  And with GN'R, as most of you, I always want more  Cheesy
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 11:06:28 AM »

ooo... I just thought of something else...  Grin

How about an acoustic track with Axl playing guitar?
Or a track where Axl accompanies himself on piano and nothng else - another idea for an Axl only track.
I think that'd be cool - an Axl only track.  Either on piano or guitar.  Especially cool if there are the other featured/solo member tracks like I mentioned in my above post. 

And oh yeah, if there is a double album they could do a "don't cry" type deal where there is one song with two versions - one which they do with BH parts - and then the same song again (basically) except without the BH parts and instead at the same break(s) includes somethng from Finck/Fortus....  or what the hell - what if BH's parts are substituted with a parts done completely by Chris!?  Different lyrics of course - which could reflect in the track with the BH parts something about that BH time/era of the band...   and then the 2nd track could be Axl singing about the time/era of Buckethead's departure and express about that.

A double album would definitely allow more for these type of ideas.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 11:17:39 AM »

I think they want to sell a maximul of records. One KILLER album (Chinese Democracy) would be the best to start. Then they can release 1 or 2 other albums, but later. Maybe 1 or 2 years later.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Axlative
Rocker

All Better now!

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 11:19:17 AM »

I'd prefer single albums released simultaneously or within a short space of time of each other.

Ditto. Double album will always mean the sales take a hit. And multiple albums allows for continuous touring (assuming they're already recorded).
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 11:24:48 AM »

I like the idea of releasing albums in a short span of each other.
If they released the second disc a year later, it would be perfect. The best way to keep momentum going.

I don't like the idea of a double album to start off with. Honestly, I don't like double albums very much either. It ruins the flow, and never feels like 1 whole album. There's no listening to it all from start to finish.

Plus, I can imagine the critics if a double album was released...
Everyone thinks Axl is full of himself as it is...
And everyone says that double albums are usually pretentious
So, put it all together
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 11:32:25 AM »

OR... oooo ?

what if its a true "volume one" "volume two" with a chronological type setting. ?A story telling if you will. ?Volume one for example dealing with the ending of the old band, the initial forming of the new - that whole transition because as we know it was gradual. ? The ending of the old band and the forming of the new band.
The first track of "volume one" could be an almost violent agressive tragic composition. ?one of upheaveal. ?one of a power struggle. ?hard rockin'. ?then like Rocket Queen does, it closes with a slower tempo... like something barely breathing.... ?

This first track could be almost an 'outline'/ foreshadowing of the arc volume one would take.
Volume one could climax/end in with a solem sort of song... one which expresses the weariness of the struggle taking its toll on hope... but yet not suceeding in destroying its light. ?

Volume two opens with a hard in your face victorious almost anthemic type rocker. ?The album then goes on to pour out chapter by chapter... er, track by track I mean, a vibrant display of power - through triumphant epic and even a touch of the comedic perhaps in the the offbeat track and/or a pop/hooky up-tempo radio friendly rocker. ?then there's several tracks in a row which are those band member individual/ olo/featured tracks. ?Topped off by the Axl solo performance track then finally the coda. ?

The coda would be the mirror image of the first track/intro to the first volume. ?One which starts almost somber then wraps it all up leaving the listener entralled and wanting more - and importantly, leaves the listener with every reason to expect that there will indeed be more. ? ?Smiley
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 11:34:27 AM by Eva GnRAxlRosette » Logged
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 11:36:50 AM »

I like the idea of releasing albums in a short span of each other.
If they released the second disc a year later, it would be perfect. The best way to keep momentum going.

I don't like the idea of a double album to start off with. Honestly, I don't like double albums very much either. It ruins the flow, and never feels like 1 whole album. There's no listening to it all from start to finish.

Plus, I can imagine the critics if a double album was released...
Everyone thinks Axl is full of himself as it is...
And everyone says that double albums are usually pretentious
So, put it all together

do you guy think the 'volume one' 'volume two' concept could work if released say 6 mos apart?  I think it could work as a follow up.  But I'd want it all right away! hehehe  Grin
madagas
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 11:49:29 AM »

With Axl, you better get what you can get while you can get it! Grin Radiohead released Kid A and Amnesiac 6 months apart. Both albums were recorded during the same sessions. Chinese will be a bigger seller so Axl could move his to 9 months or a year apart. Axl kind of alluded to this with his three album plan mention in London. However, who knows what the plan is now-could be just an ep!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 05:28:16 PM »

an ep???I hope not nohow! Angry

Whatever 'it' is, I hope the fans don't get ripped off.

I 4th.  so as to we can digest each album better.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 05:35:11 PM »

Id rather get one album first then a year down the road another, then a double album now and no album down the road.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
MATT-A-REAL-FAN
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 05:50:13 PM »

I agree a double album would be an impressive move.? It'd allow for more of everything - which is what I believe they've done: everything.? A little bit of this, a bit o' that and yet something else, too.? There will be something for everyone.? Just like the existig GN'R catalogue.? A double album would allow for more of the variety to come through.

Of course, a single 12-16 track album still adequately allows for there to be a few from each segment of the spectrum they're covering. Something like 4 epics, 6-8 straight/moderate to hard rockin' tracks, 4 radio/pop/hooky tracks and a couple tracks that are yet something else.

What do I consider 'something else'?? Something like the track "Village Gorilla Head" on Tommy's album of the same name.? ? It was groovy and off the beaten path.?

Could also include some 'signature' pieces from individual band members as well.? It could have a "Dizzy Special"... perhaps even as an stand alone instrumental.? There could be a couple of "Tommy Tunes" which Tommy sings lead / duets with Axl.? And I'd love there to be an all out guitar extravaganza featuring Robin and Richard whether they team up or go 'solo lead' on two seperate tracks.? Or one of each!? One Robin, One Richard, and then one where they tear it up together.

So a single album would be quite satisfactory but a double album would allow for so much more (like the tracks I mention right above).? And with GN'R, as most of you, I always want more? Cheesy

Yo Eva,
? Yeah,wishful thinking and all but......everyone knows that any album that surfaces it will feature,more or less,the ENTIRE band. No one is going to be "spotlighted". At least not any member that isn't Axl.

Remember,he is the sole surviving original member and I don't believe he would give any song slots to the new guys,guys who the general public don't know yet,for an album that he is projecting to be his "comeback".

They didn't break it up a bit with the old group until the UYI albums by letting Izzy (good) and Duff (terrible) sing songs,primarily,on their own.

This is about one man and one man only. Axl fuckin' Rose.

Until CD comes out,the other guys don't matter yet to people who are not "in the know". After CD,I'm sure down the road,you might see some stuff like you had suggested. By then,the public will know them and recognize them,etc.

? BTW,where are my PAPERS?!?!?? ?Grin? Angry? Roll Eyes? Cry? Yeah,you heard me!!? My papers! Grin

? GNR FOREVER!!

? ? ?MATT
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 06:23:52 PM »

Dear God I hope not, I want the original plan where he slowly weans the fans onto the more progressive experimental GN'R music over the course of three albums.

None of this double album shit.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 06:51:29 PM »

Yo Eva,

Yo Matt!! ?Kiss
hehehe

?Yeah,wishful thinking and all but......everyone knows that any album that surfaces it will feature,more or less,the ENTIRE band. No one is going to be "spotlighted". At least not any member that isn't Axl.

Remember,he is the sole surviving original member and I don't believe he would give any song slots to the new guys,guys who the general public don't know yet,for an album that he is projecting to be his "comeback".

No one knows that any album - especially a double or "part two" type follow up - would not include spotlights by anyone other than Axl. ?Tongue
BUT ?I can get you're saying that it'd be doubtful - especially if it's a single album release or on any "part one" of a two part release.

The fact that the general public doesn't know them may be all the more reason to include spotlights as part of a single 2 disc release or on a follow up abum. ?It could excite and motivate people to come out to the shows to see the new band for a second/larger leg of the long tour (Axl has indicated he intends that they tour for years)

So yeah, on a 2nd album (whether released simultaneously or as a follow up) I believe spotlights would be a good idea.

This is about one man and one man only. Axl fuckin' Rose.

I can understand how you could say that - I do believe that yeah, ultimately, like with the old band, since day one - ?Axl will be held responsible for the outcome of the album/band's efforts,
BUT what have we heard from the band members - including Axl? ?That its not going to be 'The Axl Rose Album' because this is not 'The Axl Rose Band'

Until CD comes out,the other guys don't matter yet to people who are not "in the know". After CD,I'm sure down the road,you might see some stuff like you had suggested. By then,the public will know them and recognize them,etc.

Yeah, I get what you are saying - like I said - it would 'work' as part of a 2 album release. ? Not as half of CD as a single CD release.
The public will know and recognize them - will be excited to go see them all... to see the WHOLE band after enjoying their work on the album. ? ok

BTW,where are my PAPERS?!?!? ? Grin ?Angry ?Roll Eyes ?Cry ?Yeah,you heard me!! ?My papers! Grin

GNR FOREVER!!

? ? MATT

I am PMing you my home address. ?Send me a self addressed envelope large enough for the extra copies you want and include some money to cover the postage and I PROMISE I will stuff them in there and take it to the post office within 1-2 days of receipt. ?Depending on how much you send and how much it costs it will take between a few days (priorty) to a couple weeks (book rate) to get to you.

Really. ? Grin

And thanks for taking me at my word when I told you you should keep bothering me about it. ?I really don't mind. ? Kiss
But this is what it's gonna take to get me off my ass to do it. ?Tongue
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 07:58:50 PM »

I dont wanna be a party pooper, but I once talked about it in a topic o mine Cheesy well, Id like to have a doble album anyway...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 09:22:21 AM »

I almost started a thread like this about a week ago, but the subject has been brought up so many times I figured it would get dead horsed. Interesting how you snuck this past the mods. Cheesy I think the chances of a double album are actually better than we think. In the past, when this gets brought up, the main reason for not doing it is the inflated price of double albums. But now they're not as expensive as they used to be. I was at Best Buy, and the Foo Fighters double album was $11.99. At that price, or even a couple dollars more, a 2 disc Chinese Democracy would sell very well. So I dont think cost is a factor anymore in concern to whether its one or two albums. The deciding factor will be if Axl wants to put out that much material at one time.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 10:39:45 AM »

for now I rather have 1 album. I think it would be best for the band to do it that way. If Axl can stick to the plan he said in London then it will be great. an album with a few extra tracks then a year or so later another , then again. I ratjer have that so each album remains focused and gets the attention it deserves.

whatever presentation represents the pinnacle of quaility is the type of album I want.

and I want it nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Cry
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 11:00:13 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
anythinggoes
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 10:53:45 AM »

i want a time machine so i can trave forward say 10 20 years and get all if any of the GNR albums released i would then come back to now and upload them. as for it being a double album i think not i think it will be a 65 70 min album but like the others said one released every 2 years or so after
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: