Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 03:12:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228054 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Izzy quote
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Izzy quote  (Read 3177 times)
UseYourAppetite
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: September 15, 2005, 08:11:04 AM »

"Adler's drumming made the band;he made a big musical difference.His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel,afterwards,nothing worked."  Izzy Stradlin

What do you guys think of this comment? I personally think it's a bit harsch, i mean the illusion albums are fuckin?great as well and matt's an awsome drummer..
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 11:03:54 AM »

Adlers no Bonham.  Tongue

Fuck 'Em All.
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 01:27:44 PM »

I always felt like Izzy was the mastermind of the AFD era. I've read were he always was reading books, mags, etc.... & had much to do with what the band looked like & that loose, but tight, Stonesy feel they had. I think by saying what he said, he felt like his idea of what GNR should be was gone because Adler, while not a monster drummer, certainly kept the backbeat looser  than other drummers. Obviously, some things still worked since we have songs like loco-motive & YCBM, but they might be a little "tighter" than an Izzy Stradlin' would prefer.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 03:19:37 PM »

Izzy was there, so he knows more than we do.

In another interview I read recently, Izzy went on to say this,? ?"Matt Sorum hits hard, but he plods.? It wasn't that loose rock n roll feel anymore.? WIth his playing, Guns n Roses became a heavy metal band instead of the rock n roll band that we once were."

Personally, I feel when one guy leaves a band, the chemistry is never the same.? whether you like Sorum or Adler, the fact is, the five originals had the chemistry together, and it just wasn't the same without Adler.? Even if Sorum was "technically competent" as some people say, it takes that closeness between band members to truly make the music work.

I think that Steven brought exactly what was needed to the table.? Sorum often focused overplaying rather than doing what was best for the song.? and Steven didn't, he didn't play too soft or too hard, he gave exactly what was right, and I think he was able to do this without the other guys telling him to do it.? They just were all able to read each other's minds and just gel together in the necessary way.

and see, when Matt joined the band, he said the first thing he had to do was learn 30 tunes so they could record and tour.? that must have been hard for the guys, to have to teach another drummer how to play songs that had already been written, and it mustve been tough on Matt trying to blend in and fit in.? I can easily see how during that process, Izzy felt the "sense of swing" was lost.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 03:21:26 PM by Bridge » Logged
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 11:27:18 AM »

I think that Adler's ability to play drums is not as tecnichal as Matt but for AFD era was great, perhaps in Axl's mind he thought that Adler wouldn't fit The UYI records. I think Izzy felt that way after recording the Ilussions with Matt.

No man can be my equal
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 10:00:35 PM »

Boham's no taylor, so I think if you put Bohman playing in AFD he wouldn't fit cause is just not the same vibe the used to have as a band!, so I think Adler was great for the appetite era and I could be wrong but he could be great also in the Ilusions era  peace

No man can be my equal
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 12:58:36 PM »

Boham's no taylor, so I think if you put Bohman playing in AFD he wouldn't fit cause is just not the same vibe the used to have as a band!, so I think Adler was great for the appetite era and I could be wrong but he could be great also in the Ilusions era  peace

Point noted.  peace

Fuck 'Em All.
badapple81
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 01:25:13 AM »

I understand Izzy's point. Matt's a great drummer, but there some GN'R songs that I just felt weren't the same when he played them.. Mr Brownstone is one for example.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 05:28:52 AM »

Matts drumming has always annoyed me, n' there is a big difference between him n' Adler, Adler rocks man!! yes ok

Matts drumming is like he's programmed, his fills are all the same n' his solo's got boring.

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 05:37:00 PM »

I think Matt has more tecnique than Adler, but the best about adler is that he goes with the flow and in rock n roll that's 80% of the feeling  ok

No man can be my equal
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 05:14:32 AM »

I wouldnt say there was NOTHING after Steven left... I love MATT!!  But I loved Stevens Drumming aswell...?  They are both very talented. Thats all there is to it?!

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Mrs Slash Mckagan
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 04:01:39 PM »

Steven is the best!!! i agree with bridge, its never the same after one member leaves, and steven was just better, he had more attitude, and he was cute awwwwwwww love
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: