Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 09:17:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "November Rain" being used to promote wrestling show
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "November Rain" being used to promote wrestling show  (Read 5926 times)
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« on: October 13, 2005, 12:03:27 PM »

http://hardcorehomecoming.com/

Click the above link and watch the video.

The show is called "November Reign" and it's the last Hardcore Homecoming show that will be held in Philadelphia, PA.

Hardcore Homecoming started as an ECW reunion in June and they have held several other shows since then.

When ECW held their "November To Remember" shows from 1994-2000 they always put together a video package set to "November Rain" every year.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 12:05:09 PM by DunkinDave » Logged
Evolution
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 12:18:43 PM »

The second i heard the title for this event i knew GNR would be used
BaDoBsEsSiOn418
Rocker

Yowza!

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 01:30:30 PM »

Yep, I remember when ECW had November to Remember with the November Rain video package.  That was awesome.  I always liked that song, even before I became a true Gunner  Grin

Why's everybody so obsessed with the album?  Can't you just be happy that Axl gets to hang out with rich fashion designers? -MotherGooseLuvR
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 01:57:06 PM »

yeah I remember that shit from ecw..
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 05:22:09 PM »

GNR + wrestling = Chaos in the trailor parks around the country!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 05:41:19 PM »

A question that someone here might be able to answer.  I was always led to believe Axl didn't want GNR songs used in just anything, i.e. the movie Blackhawk Down (the movie about the downed helicopter in Somalia, that ironically enough was listening to WTTJ for real).  Did the latest publishing deal change anything?  Are we to expect more and more increasingly silly GNR deals such as this wrestling thing?  Oh well, I guess it's good marketing.  Wrestling fans are part of the target demographic.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 02:44:36 AM »

Well ECW used it as far back as 1997 or maybe even earlier so who knows. I remember Bam bam Bigelow used Welcome to the Jungle as entrance song also!  peace
Evolution
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 09:33:19 AM »

Howard Finkel used it on WWF House Shows as enterance music hihi

As for a "silly deal", it's hardly silly if it exposes the song and in turn, the band to new people  Wink
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 12:33:30 PM »

Here's a cool story about Slash and ECW:

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=13656&p=1

I attended the 1997 November to Remember PPV in Pittsburgh, PA and I remember them hyping the show by playing November Rain by Guns N Roses all the time on ECW TV.? I also remember Joey Styles saying that Slash would be at the event to give a special performance.? Slash did not appear at the show however and I don't recall an explanation ever being given as to why.? Did they explain this at any time on the TV show or maybe before the PPV on TV and I just didn't hear it, or was the subject dropped never to be mentioned again?? Do you know the reason he didn't show?

Actually, I don't believe Joey Styles never mentioned Slash by name, although it was implied on an episode of ECW's weekly television show.? ECW was working on getting the famed Guns N' Roses guitarist to play the national anthem at November To Remember, but a deal was never worked out, and the idea was dropped.? To be honest, I don't think anyone really cared much at the time.? Tickets for the show, which was headlined by Shane Douglas vs. Bam Bam Bigelow, sold fine without him and I believe it was the biggest ECW house to date at the time of the show.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 04:32:02 PM »

How sad, dudes such an excellent song to promote anything is blasphemy...  they dont deserve it...
FlashFlood
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 11:40:15 PM »

i hate people who are against using songs to promote something. its just exposure. i can see where you are coming from when something happens like michael jackson lets nike use Revolution by the beatles for a commercial. THAT is blasphemy. oh and btw i dont think they had authorization to even use that clip. wrestling is a pretty slimy business. trust me my brother is a part of it.

poop
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 04:54:53 AM »

to me any exposure of such a cool song is all good,... 
You Gonna Eat That?
Rocker

Mada-Gaz-car

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 05:31:38 AM »

That song doesnt sound like somthing ECW would use... I couldnt imagine clips of them hitting each other with trashcans and Kendo Sticks and throwing each other through tables set to "So If you want to love me, then darlin' dont refrain..."

Dave Mustaine discusses the origins of the name of his band, Megadeath: "The band's name means the act of dying, but, like, really mega."
Evolution
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 10:47:23 AM »

wrestling is a pretty slimy business. trust me my brother is a part of it.

Cool, what does he do?

That song doesnt sound like somthing ECW would use... I couldnt imagine clips of them hitting each other with trashcans and Kendo Sticks and throwing each other through tables set to "So If you want to love me, then darlin' dont refrain..."

Im sure the production team will whip together a pretty tongue in cheek video. Perhaps during "trying to kill the pain" will play as some guy grits his teeth after a chair shot or something  Wink
disease51883
Rocker

Hey, you caught me in a Coma...

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 11:03:35 AM »

The yearly ECW "November Rain" videos were always great. The ECW clips mixed with the original GNR video just fine. They'd take a clip of, say, Tommy Dreamer crying after Beulah's had her neck broken, and they'd match it up with one of the sadder parts of the song. And if I remember correctly, the big solos and "You're not the only one" parts is where the chaotic ECW clips fit in. The ECW/Tommy Dreamer/Raven "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video was pretty good too. It captured the angst and anger of the characters. Good stuff.

I don't see how the videos could have ever caused any legal problems. It was just GNR's original video with wrestling clips inserted here and there. Not to mention that it was done by a smaller counter-culture wrestling promotion, and they weren't even "on the radar" for much of their existence. This new situation with a promotion naming a show "November Reign" is a little more iffy, but I don't really think that should be a problem either. It's promotion, really.

But yeah, wrestling sucks... Fuckin trailer trash... *Cough*
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 12:16:38 PM »

If you refer to a Singapore Cane as a Kendo Stick, you were never a true fan of ECW.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 12:36:31 PM »

pwinsider.com

NOTE: Yesterday, I mentioned that Slash and ECW had never reached a deal for him to perform at the 1997 November To Remember PPV.  A source close to the situation has informed me that a deal was indeed reached, but Slash had to back out at the last minute due to a domestic situation
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 06:04:05 PM »

Well the problem here is that they used the song, just because the name, nothing else... November Reign, give me a break...     NR, has nothing to do with wrestling, if those guys wanted to use a gnr song, after all, they should have used Get in the ring, that comes closer to that description.... or purpose
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 07:42:44 PM »

Well the problem here is that they used the song, just because the name, nothing else... November Reign, give me a break...? ? ?NR, has nothing to do with wrestling, if those guys wanted to use a gnr song, after all, they should have used Get in the ring, that comes closer to that description.... or purpose
It was because the PPV was called November Reign, what is the big deal here they used a GN'R song, it's great to hear the song being used people will moan about just about anything round here... Roll Eyes

It's like a case of damned if you do damned if you don't just be happy people want to use their great songs rather than complain about it not being appropriate....Get In The Ring would only be relevant on a song name basis too, Axl ranting on about people he doesn't like isn't exactly appropriate either...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 07:46:30 PM by Mr. Kennedy » Logged
You Gonna Eat That?
Rocker

Mada-Gaz-car

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 01:45:29 AM »

If you refer to a Singapore Cane as a Kendo Stick, you were never a true fan of ECW.
True fan? Probably not

Dave Mustaine discusses the origins of the name of his band, Megadeath: "The band's name means the act of dying, but, like, really mega."
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: