Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:34:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Unfair Dress Code
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unfair Dress Code  (Read 6037 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« on: October 19, 2005, 09:41:56 PM »

What do u think of dress codes?

For instance school uniforms, job guidelines.

recently the NBA *national basketball association* instituted a dress code that has many players very very pissed off and even calling it racist.

NBA Player Dress Code

1. General Policy: Business Casual
Players are required to wear Business Casual attire whenever they are engaged in team or league business.

"Business Casual" attire means

A long or short-sleeved dress shirt (collared or turtleneck), and/or a sweater.
Dress slacks, khaki pants, or dress jeans.
Appropriate shoes and socks, including dress shoes, dress boots, or other presentable shoes, but not including sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, or work boots.

2. Exceptions to Business Casual

There are the following exceptions to the general policy of Business Casual attire:

a. Players In Attendance At Games But Not In Uniform

Players who are in attendance at games but not in uniform are required to wear the following additional items when seated on the bench or in the stands during the game:

Sport Coat
Dress shoes or boots, and socks
b. Players Leaving the Arena

Players leaving the arena may wear either Business Casual attire or neat warm-up suits issued by their teams.

c. Special Events or Appearances

Teams can make exceptions to the Business Casual policy for special events or player appearances where other attire is appropriate -- e.g., participation in a basketball clinic.

3. Excluded Items

The following is a list of items that players are not allowed to wear at any time while on team or league business:

Sleeveless shirts
Shorts
T-shirts, jerseys, or sports apparel (unless appropriate for the event (e.g., a basketball clinic), team-identified, and approved by the team)
Headgear of any kind while a player is sitting on the bench or in the stands at a game, during media interviews, or during a team or league event or appearance (unless appropriate for the event or appearance, team-identified, and approved by the team)
Chains, pendants, or medallions worn over the player's clothes
Sunglasses while indoors
Headphones (other than on the team bus or plane, or in the team locker room)

SO what do u think about dress codes?

I personally think they are ridiculous.

I mean who cares what the player wears to the arena or during interviews.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 09:55:32 PM »

School dress uniforms are ok... But dress codes at college or work is  no

Fuck 'Em All.
Evolution
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 10:45:17 PM »

In school it's fine, but in sport it is pretty useless and inconvient. WWE for example fine their workers all the time just for not wearing smart clothes. Kid Kash who only debuted proper last week wore jeans and a t-shirt to a meeting and his place in the company is already under threat!
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 09:41:37 AM »

I really don't think it's a big deal for athletes...I mean come on...you're already bringing down a nice pay check (you get to play sports for a living for pete's sake)...don't be so damn trifling about small sh*t like dress Roll Eyes
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 09:59:11 AM »

Businesses often have a dress code for their employees.

The NBA is a business.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the league to want their players to look professional.  The players are the most visible "ambassadors" for the league.  When they come to work, and are "on the clock, asking them to look professional isn't all that big of a request, I don't think.  Off the clock, they can wear what they like.

As for being racist, I've heard the accusation and think its pretty ridiculous.  It's not like they're ONLY holding one particular group to the dress code.  Everyone is being made to follow the same rules.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 12:47:02 PM »

Even though I am a Pacers fan, Jackson's comments are ridiculous.  Now if the commisioner said only blacks can't wear the bling then it's racist but the rules is for all.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 02:44:56 PM »

I must admit that catholic school girl outfits do not insult me. Especially on a hot 22 yr old girl....

But I digress....
Surfrider
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 03:51:48 PM »

Businesses often have a dress code for their employees.

The NBA is a business.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the league to want their players to look professional.? The players are the most visible "ambassadors" for the league.? When they come to work, and are "on the clock, asking them to look professional isn't all that big of a request, I don't think.? Off the clock, they can wear what they like.

As for being racist, I've heard the accusation and think its pretty ridiculous.? It's not like they're ONLY holding one particular group to the dress code.? Everyone is being made to follow the same rules.
I agree with all of this.  I think its about time these kids get out of their gangster rap clothes.  Set a good example.  While these people are fine wearing this stuff because they make millions, the poor black people that they influence also will wear that stuff to interviews etc. 

I have worked in places from suit and tie, to business casual, and casual.  From my experience the clothing worn does have an effect on the working environment.
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 04:14:30 PM »

Boo-hoo, those poor twenty-something multi-millionaires have to actually do what their BOSSES say they have to. Give me a fucking break. As was mentioned earlier, the NBA is a business, and when you work for a living(even though they're just playing games), you do what the boss tells you to do, or else you find another line of work. And don't forget the players union signed off on this, so it wasn't as if they didn't know it was coming. Their representative agreed to it! Wear whatever the hell you want to when you're not on the job(at the arena, or post/pre-game interviews at the arena), but when you're at WORK(at the arena, or post/pre-game interviews at the arena) you do what they say, or don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Unbelieveable how some "grown men" act, when they don't get everything their way. Grow the fuck up.

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 04:19:30 PM »

I can't remember who said it but one of the players wanted the league to give them an allowance to buy these new clothes!  Those poor guys....
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 04:40:25 PM »

I can't remember who said it but one of the players wanted the league to give them an allowance to buy these new clothes!? Those poor guys....

Yeah, I heard that the other day too. Can't remember who it was though. Again, give me a break. Catch those same players later at the club and they're bling-blingin' it from their grill to their the wheels.

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 11:47:21 PM »

I can't remember who said it but one of the players wanted the league to give them an allowance to buy these new clothes! Those poor guys....

I believe it was Marcus "Can'tbe"... what a fucking bum.  I bet it's tough to afford a suit when you only make a few million dollars a year!
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 03:09:51 AM »

I can't remember who said it but one of the players wanted the league to give them an allowance to buy these new clothes! Those poor guys....

I believe it was Marcus "Can'tbe"... what a fucking bum.? I bet it's tough to afford a suit when you only make a few million dollars a year!

Maybe he was being sarcastic. And plus, NBA players have a signature style. They shouldn't have to change that unique style. They're entertainers, so it's cool for them to be flashy.

Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 05:22:29 AM »

I actually thought D would write about his personal experiences why it isn't good or appropriate to dress up in womens clothes at work  hihi

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 06:55:37 AM »

wtf

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 01:11:55 PM »

americans dress so bad that it would be a good idea to have a dress code there ....

i kid, i kid Smiley

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 06:51:24 PM »

These NBA players make millions of dollars for playing in the league.  If the comish wants them to present themselves in a certain way then they should.  If guys weren't jumping into the crowd and punching fans they probably wouldn't have the dress code anyway.  Damn that ruined my season last year.  By the way I'm a Pacer fan.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 06:55:40 PM »

Maybe he was being sarcastic. And plus, NBA players have a signature style. They shouldn't have to change that unique style. They're entertainers, so it's cool for them to be flashy.

Well maybe they'll give them "casual Friday's" to show off their style. ?Tongue

Personally I don't see a problem at all with them wanting their players to look professional. ?How they dress is a reflection of the NBA. ?If you walked into a law firm and saw a bunch of people chillin' in track pants and runners, it will give you a certain impression about that company. ?This should make the NBA look like a respectable organization and not a music video.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 06:56:29 PM »

By the way I'm a Pacer fan.

Well there's your first problem.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 07:07:43 PM »

Personally I don't see a problem at all with them wanting their players to look professional. ?How they dress is a reflection of the NBA. ?If you walked into a law firm and saw a bunch of people chillin' in track pants and runners, it will give you a certain impression about that company. ?This should make the NBA look like a respectable organization and not a music video.

They're not lawyers. They play with balls for a living. And like that one guy said, "You can put a murderer in a suit, and he's still a murderer."
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: