Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 12:01:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Rank a band's entire discography (studio albums, live optional if you want)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank a band's entire discography (studio albums, live optional if you want)  (Read 35206 times)
GeraldFord
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2007, 09:42:50 AM »

Some people say that Sabbath's first four albums are the best, but I think they peaked with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage. I like their earlier work, but to me it's just way overplayed and overexposed and not really their best work. I also thought the last two with Ozzy were great and underrated.

Liked the Dio era and think that Born Again, with Ian Gillan was their most underrated album.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2007, 09:52:05 AM »

sabotage is sabbaths best.

the riffs are genius and so heavy for the year done.

html sucks
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2007, 10:54:49 AM »

Sabotage 10/10 Master piece! This album has everything! Is the most "honest" album, meaning you can feel what you listen.  Ozzy's singing as his BEST! songs that prove my stament: hole in the sky, sympton of the universe, the writ ...shit!, you can hear he is pissed off about his manager. 
I can talk and worship this album for days, so dont get me started  hihi

Blah!! Sabotage  hihi
Sympton of the universe is a great masterpiece, even played in salsa music would sound magnificent!  ok

No man can be my equal
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2007, 12:39:19 PM »

Sabotage 10/10 Master piece! This album has everything! Is the most "honest" album, meaning you can feel what you listen.? Ozzy's singing as his BEST! songs that prove my stament: hole in the sky, sympton of the universe, the writ ...shit!, you can hear he is pissed off about his manager.?
I can talk and worship this album for days, so dont get me started? hihi

Blah!! Sabotage? hihi
Sympton of the universe is a great masterpiece, even played in salsa music would sound magnificent!? ok

rofl  true...true

If the world would end today... Wink
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2007, 01:20:05 PM »

Bob Dylan (Studio albums):

Bob Dylan (1962): 7/10...his debut album....only 2 originals on it. ?Very raw.
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (1963): 10/10...The first of the "protest" albums...majority of original songs including "Blowin' In The Wind" and "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright".
The Times They Are A-Changin' (1964): 9/10...first all original effort, songs tackle all sorts of social issues. ?Contains the title track, "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll", "Boots of Spanish Leather" and "Only a Pawn in their Game".
Another Side of Bob Dylan (1964): 8/10...First album where Dylan starts to disembrace folk music. ?Contains the songs "It Ain't Me Babe" and "Spanish Harlem Incident".
Bringing It All Back Home (1965): 9/10...The 50% transistion to rock music, half of the album is electric, the other half acoustic. ?Contains "Subterranean Homesick Blues" "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" and "Mr. Tambourine Man".
Highway 61 Revisited (1965): 10/10...This is Dylan's lyrical masterpiece. ?"Like A Rolling Stone", "Desolation Row", "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues".
Blonde on Blonde (1966): 10/10...Dylan's trip into surreal lyricism, one of the first double albums ever. "Visions of Johanna", "Just Like A Woman", "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again", "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35".
Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits (1967): not rated...Released to gain on Dylan's absence during his motorcycle wreck..it contained the b-side "Positively 4th Street" which was favorite of the Beatles.
John Wesley Harding (1967): 8/10...Dylan's return to more traditional acoustic material. ?Contained "All Along The Watchtower".
Nashville Skyline (1969): 9/10...love it or hate it, Dylan's turn to country music came off as a solid, very well written effort (minus the infamous 'Country voice'). ?Contains "Lay, Lady Lay", "Tonight, I'll Be Staying Here With You".
Self Portrait (1970): 4/10...an album of covers, b-sides and instrumentals....Dylan originally intended this as a joke to people pushing him as the "leader of a generation". ?I actually enjoy the instrumentals like "Wigwam", but the rest faulters.
New Morning (1970): 8/10...This album is actually one of my fav. Dylan albums. ?He goes to new levels with the music on this one and gives a more accomplished effort. ?Contains "If Not For You" and "Sign On The Window".
Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol. II (1971): not rated...released due to Dylan's desire not to do anything for a while. ?Contained a few B-sides like "Quinn The Eskimo" and "I Shall Be Released".
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid (1973): 6/10...Soundtrack to the film of the same name, Dylan had a role in the film as well. ?Contains your favorite Dylan cover ever!!! "Knockin' On Heaven's Door". Lot of instrumentals as well.
Dylan (1973): 3/10...An album not intended to be released, but the record company done so because Dylan left Columbia. ?Contains some originals like "Sarah Jane" and some covers like "Can't Help Falling In Love" and "Big Yellow Taxi".
Planet Waves (1974): 7/10...Marked Dylan's first studio effort with The Band (who were just a touring band for him initially). ?Contains "Forever Young".
Blood On The Tracks (1975): 9.5/10...a masterpiece in itself. ?Written about Dylan's split with his first wife Sara. ?The songs tell stories of heartbreak galore. ?"Tangled Up In Blue", "Simple Twist Of Fate" and "Idiot Wind".
The Basement Tapes (1975): 6/10...basically a jam session with the Band in '66, recorded in their basement...they go through a number of old folk songs. ?Also available in a 5-disc extended, but bootleg form as "The Complete Basement Tapes"
Desire (1976): 8/10...Dylan's darkest album...I love this one. ?The way the album sounds is quite indescribable...due to the violin playing by Scarlet Rivera. ?Contains "Hurricane", Sara" and "Isis".
Street Legal (1978): 6/10...Dylan's downfall album....he went to a more pop oriented sound with female backing singers. ?Studio issues also factored in as the album came out not so well soundwise. ?Includes "Chaning Of The Guards".
Slow Train Coming (1980): 5/10...Dylan's first album after becoming a born-again Christian. ?Contains "Gotta Serve Somebody". ?
Saved (1980): 3/10...An even more overpowered Christian-Dylan album. ?Does save grace with the cover of "A Satisfied Mind".
Shot Of Love (1981): 3/10...The last of the holy trilogy of Dylan....contains the tribute song "Lenny Bruce" and "Every Grain of Sand".
Infidels (1983): 6/10...Dylan's return to secular music, the b-sides of this album were far superior to the actual released product. ?"Blind Willie McTell" eventually found release on the Bootleg Series Vol. 3. ?This album had "Jokerman".
Empire Burlesque (1985): 6/10...better than Infidels...the songs were more solid. ?Contained "Tight Connection to my Heart".
Biograph (1985): not rated...Box set containing a bunch of greatest hits and unreleased tracks including "I'll Keep It With Mine", which was originally written for his girl at the time, Nico of the Velvet Underground.
Knocked Out Loaded (1986): 6/10...This album was kind of not so good, except for the epic track "Brownsville Girl". ?It's 11+ minute story delves back into Dylan's lyrical trips from the golden years.
Down in the Groove (1988): 4/10...I can say I don't like anything about this one. ?Nothing good on it. ?Production is really horrible also.
Oh Mercy (1989): 7/10...Somewhat of a breath of fresh air for Dylan.....this one was quite listenable. ?Had "Most of the Time" and "Political World".
Under The Red Sky (1990): 3/10...Horrible, horrible effort, but some think intentionally as this was an album Dylan made for his daugther. ?Contains "Wiggle, Wiggle" featuring an uncredited Slash and "Cat's In The Well".
The Bootleg Series, Vol. 1-3 (1991): not rated...the Holy Grail at the time for Dylan collectors. ?Contained 3 albums worth of unreleased material and alternate takes. ?
Good As I Been To You (1992): 6/10...I actually like this and the next album. ?They were two solo acoustic albums of old folk songs. ?Dylan sings them with a sort of brutal honesty. ?Contains "Diamond Joe".
World Gone Wrong (1993): 6/10...The second album of the "Dylan goes back to his roots" albums....this one is a little more dark than the last. ?Contains the awesome tune, "Blood In My Eyes".
Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Volume 3 (1994): not rated...contained the unreleased song "Dignity".
Time Out Of Mind (1997): ?8/10...Dylan's return to mainstream success. ?This album is actually very good, with a mature sounding band that is on point throughout the whole recording. ?Contains "Not Dark Yet" and "Cold Irons Bound".
"Love and Theft" (2001): 7/10...another solid effort by Dylan and his amazing touring/studio band. ?This one is a little less serious than Time Out Of Mind, but great nonetheless. ?Contains "Po' Boy", "Summer Days", "Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum".
The Bootleg Series Vol. 7: No Direction Home soundtrack (2005): not rated...Pretty cool compilation containing Dylan's first ever recording from 1957 and a lot of alternate takes from the Highway 61/Blonde on Blonde albums.
Modern Times (2006): 8.5/10...The third album from Bob Dylan after his big comeback. ?Features a lot of older folk songs reworked into modern compositions...and a weird reference to Alicia Keys. ?"Someday Baby", "Workingman Blues #2", "Nettie More".
Dylan (2007): ?not rated...also not the same album of the 1973 type...this one is a recently released compilation album of either 1 or 3 discs containing previously released material. ?

I'll do the live albums later on.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2007, 02:02:17 PM »

Skid Row:

Skid Row: 8/10

Slave To The Grind: 8.5/10

B-Sides Ourselves [EP]: 7/10

Subhuman Race: 6/10

Subhuman Beings On Tour: 6.5/10

Thickskin: 7/10

Revolutions Per Minute: 3/10

Grim Reaper:

See You In Hell: 9/10

Fear No Evil: 7/10

Rock You To Hell: 5/10
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2007, 02:03:32 PM »

id  give slave 10/10. its just so good.

html sucks
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2007, 02:08:34 PM »

id? give slave 10/10. its just so good.
For that i would have to love and adore every track and consider them all strong, although i like tracks like Riot Act, Mudkicker, The Threat and Psycho Love i think they are weak compared to the rest, solid but not classics in my opinion, the rest of it is though yes
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2007, 02:23:15 PM »

now i love the threat.

to me the riff is genuis.

i guess its oppinion.

html sucks
GeraldFord
« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2007, 02:36:26 PM »

Skid Row:

Skid Row: 8/10

Slave To The Grind: 8.5/10

B-Sides Ourselves [EP]: 7/10

Subhuman Race: 6/10

Subhuman Beings On Tour: 6.5/10

Thickskin: 7/10

Revolutions Per Minute: 3/10

I loved B-Sides Ourselves (odd name for a cover EP). That may be my fav SR album in fact. Thought Subhuman Race was great--very uderrated. The Solinger albums are pretty bad though. He's my ranking.

Skid Row:

Skid Row: 8/10- a tad generic, but still great.

Slave To The Grind: 10/10- One of the best pre-Nevermind albums of the 90s.

B-Sides Ourselves [EP]: 10/10- My favorite SR album

Subhuman Race: 9/10- Very cool an daring!

Subhuman Beings On Tour: NA

Thickskin: 2/10- Ugg- SR trying to sound like the Goo Goo Dolls in 2003...not a good idea. Classic SR sounding songs are just plain weak.

Revolutions Per Minute: 2/10- Middle of the road, rehashed shit.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2007, 02:47:04 PM »

Black Sabbath (Ozzy era) One of my favorites bands ever!? ok

Black Sabbath 10/10 (but its too short)? This is album gave birth to Heavy music. enough said.

Paranoid 10/10 Perfect album! This could easily be a concept album. Every song suits the album's title. Geezer shines here!

Master of reality 10/10 . Led zeppelin released Zeppelin IV the same year Sabbath released Master of Reality, While Zeppelin wrote about a stairway to heaven, Sabbath was singing about the unpromised future caused by wars for the next generation in songs like in Children of the Grave.? A song like this could be sung now and wouldnt feel outdated.

Volume 4? ?10/10 The most underrated album ever! You can make 3 songs out of each song on this album, Its incredible these guys talent.
Under The Sun / Every Day Comes & Goes is the BEST example of a progresive HEAVY metal song. Bill's drumming is just unbelievable, is as Heavy as Tony's Riffs.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath 9.5/10? Close to perfect? The song "Who are you?" is the reason for the -0.5 lol? Still I like the song, but I dont think it suits the album.

Sabotage 10/10 Master piece! This album has everything! Is the most "honest" album, meaning you can feel what you listen.? Ozzy's singing as his BEST! songs that prove my stament: hole in the sky, sympton of the universe, the writ ...shit!, you can hear he is pissed off about his manager.?

Technical Ecstasy 8/10 Its a great album but shadowed by Sabotage's excellence. I dont know if its me , but i think this album could have had better lyrics, musically is brilliant.

Never say die! 7/10? A "Rock" album by Black Sabbath,? trumpets and Black Sabbath dont go well together, it wasnt a good idea, sounds a little like Thin Lizzy to me, or Thin Lizzy sounds like this Sabbath album, anyway is still cool tho but not their best effort.? Wink? (I think, Ozzy wasnt even thrilled with the final product)

peace

I was gonna do the Ozzy albums but I've been beaten to it. Angry Tongue

My favs are probably Vol. 4 (Tomorrow's Dream, St. Vitus Dance) and Sabotage (Thrill Of It All, The Writ). Never been as keen on the first album though (compared to the others).

And I don't see why so many people dislike Never Say Die. It's got some good stuff on it.

Maybe I'll do another band later.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2007, 03:57:12 PM »

LPs only....

Marilyn Manson
Mechanical Animals
The Golden Age of Grotesque
Eat Me, Drink Me
Portrait of an American Family
Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death)
Antichrist Superstar

Nine Inch Nails
The Fragile
The Downward Spiral
Year Zero
Pretty Hate Machine
With Teeth
GeraldFord
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2007, 05:41:07 PM »

People (even Reznor himself) seem to think With Teeth is NIN's weakest album. I really like it though. A little commercial maybe, but it's still great. Some of his best, most ambitious work, like "Beside you in time" and "Sunspots" are on it. And I think the singles are great.

Check out the song "Home" if you can, which is only available on the Japanese import. 
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2007, 06:09:06 PM »

Danzig (the band):

Danzig (1988): 8/10...this album rips it up.  Very raw bare-backed album with loose pounding drums, crunching guitar riffs and bluesy howls.  Best songs, "Twist of Cain", "Am I Demon" and the sleeper hit "Mother" which would become famous some 5 years later after a live release.

Danzig II: Lucifuge (1990): 9/10...So much more polished than the first in a good way.  This album shows Danzig's blues roots.  Best songs, "Her Black Wings", "Long Way Back From Hell", "Snakes of Christ".

Danzig III: How The Gods Kill (1992): 7/10...decent album, nothing really stands out as strong as the first two, but still holds it's own.  Best songs, "Sistinas", "Dirty Black Summer", "Godless"....plus awesome artwork by H.R. Giger.

Thrall: Demonsweatlive (1993): 6/10...the EP that sort of took off after the single release of the live version of Mother.  Had three original studio tracks on it including a cover of Elvis's "Trouble" and an original "It's Coming Down".

Danzig 4p (1994): 7/10...the last album to feature the original lineup of Danzig, it rocked pretty damn good.  Got a little on the experimental song with "Cantspeak" and it turned out quite nice.  Also "Brand New God", "Little Whip" and "Going Down To Die" round out the album nicely.

Danzig 5: Blackacidevil (1995): 5/10...Danzig starts to experiment with industrial sounds and drum loops on this one.  Doesn't really come off as a strong effort, moreso than a playaround album.  Jerry Cantrell guests, but nothing really solid stands out on this album other than "Deeper" which was a remix of "Deep" from the X-Files soundtrack.

Danzig 6:66: Satan's Child (1999):  6/10...A lot more harder while still retaining the industrial elements of 5.  Standout tracks include "Belly Of The Beast", "Cult Without A Name" and "Thirteen" which was written specifically for Johnny Cash by Danzig.  Cash recorded it on the American box set.

Danzig: Live on the Blackhand Side (2001):  4/10...A mashed up live set taken from various tour dates of the band (New band is featured prominently).  Sound quality was all jacked up on various songs and it was poorly mixed all around.

Danzig 777: I Luciferi (2002):  6.66/10...Industrial element was dropped for a more heavier doom-metal sounding effort.  A few songs were alright, but nothing spectacular....actually a little corny.  Good songs, "Liber Skull", "The Coldest Sun".

Circle Of Snakes (2004): 6/10...alright album, continues with I Luciferi's sound......nothing really stood out but "1000 Devils Reign".

The Lost Tracks Of Danzig (2007): 7/10...good to hear some unreleased tracks from the old band lineup.  A lot of these were floating in vault-purgatory for two decades waiting to be released.  The acoustic verison of "Come To Silver" is worth the price of this puppy alone not to mention two versions of "When Death Had No Name".

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2007, 03:29:12 AM »

Black Sabbath (Ozzy era) One of my favorites bands ever!? ok

Black Sabbath 10/10 (but its too short)? This is album gave birth to Heavy music. enough said.

Paranoid 10/10 Perfect album! This could easily be a concept album. Every song suits the album's title. Geezer shines here!

Master of reality 10/10 . Led zeppelin released Zeppelin IV the same year Sabbath released Master of Reality, While Zeppelin wrote about a stairway to heaven, Sabbath was singing about the unpromised future caused by wars for the next generation in songs like in Children of the Grave.? A song like this could be sung now and wouldnt feel outdated.

Volume 4? ?10/10 The most underrated album ever! You can make 3 songs out of each song on this album, Its incredible these guys talent.
Under The Sun / Every Day Comes & Goes is the BEST example of a progresive HEAVY metal song. Bill's drumming is just unbelievable, is as Heavy as Tony's Riffs.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath 9.5/10? Close to perfect? The song "Who are you?" is the reason for the -0.5 lol? Still I like the song, but I dont think it suits the album.

Technical Ecstasy 8/10 Its a great album but shadowed by Sabotage's excellence. I dont know if its me , but i think this album could have had better lyrics, musically is brilliant.

Never say die! 7/10? A "Rock" album by Black Sabbath,? trumpets and Black Sabbath dont go well together, it wasnt a good idea, sounds a little like Thin Lizzy to me, or Thin Lizzy sounds like this Sabbath album, anyway is still cool tho but not their best effort.? Wink? (I think, Ozzy wasnt even thrilled with the final product)

peace

I was gonna do the Ozzy albums but I've been beaten to it. Angry Tongue

My favs are probably Vol. 4 (Tomorrow's Dream, St. Vitus Dance) and Sabotage (Thrill Of It All, The Writ). Never been as keen on the first album though (compared to the others).

And I don't see why so many people dislike Never Say Die. It's got some good stuff on it.

Maybe I'll do another band later.

I dont dislike Never say die, I gave it a 7/10 which is not bad at all. I the Sabbath (ozzy era) album I like the least, that's all really.  And yes, Vol. 4 and Sabotage are truly masterpieces!

If the world would end today... Wink
IFINGLOVEGNR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2007, 01:16:59 AM »

Can somone do the following bands

Alice Cooper
Buckethead
Dio - Rainbow, Black Sabbath etc
Dream Theater
Kiss
Ozzy
Pink Floyd
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rob/White Zombie
Rush
Yngwie Malmsteen

thanks

5/12/06
5/14/06
5/15/06
5/17/06
NJ-11/5/06
NYC-MSG 11/10/06
NYC-CBGB 2/11/10
NYC-RoseBar 2/14/10
NJ-11/17/11
CT-11/19/11
NJ-11/26/11
NYC-2/12/12
Vegas-11/14,17,18/2012
NYC-6/6/13
NYC-6/8
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2007, 01:27:08 AM »

Can somone do the following bands

Alice Cooper
Buckethead
Dio - Rainbow, Black Sabbath etc
Dream Theater
Kiss
Ozzy
Pink Floyd
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rob/White Zombie
Rush
Yngwie Malmsteen

thanks

I may be able to handle a couple of those...give me some time to do some listening.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2007, 02:29:23 AM »

White Zombie
Astro-Creep: 2000
La Sexorcisto: Devil Music, Volume One

Rob Zombie
The Sinister Urge
Hellbilly Deluxe
Educated Horses
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2007, 10:24:35 AM »

Stone Temple Pilots:

Core: 6/10
Very average, grunge sounding stuff. Not much to say here, except that too much time is wasted on tracks like "Wet My Bed" and "No Memory".

Highlights are Plush, Sex Type Thing, Creep, Dead & Bloated

Purple: 9/10
A much more solid effort from the band. They started to experiment here and it comes across well. The guitar work is amazing, the lyrics and melodies stunning, ad is overall just a very solid album.

Highlights are Interstate Love Song, Silver Gun Superman, Vasoline, Unglued, Big Empty

Tiny Music...Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop: 8/10
Another huge stylistic leap. This album sounds very jazzy in spots, and the most noticeable change is the fact that Scott Weiland is using a much higher voice than their previous efforts, no longer sounding like a purported "Eddie Vedder clone".

Highlights are Big Bang Baby, Adhesive, Seven Caged Tigers, Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart

No. 4: 7.5/10
This was STP's first album after reforming from their first break-up or hiatus. This album ditches the whole Jazzy style almost completely, and is a return to more Purple-era hard rock.

Highlights are Down, Heaven & Hotrods, Sour Girl, and Atlanta

Shangri-La Dee Da: 7/10
STP's swan song. The opening track "Dumb Love" sounds like something straight out of the middle or Core and Purple, but misleads you into thinking the album rocks as hard as it. The album has a much more "psychedelic" flavor to it, and is lighter on the ears than most of their previous material.

Highlights are Dumb Love, Coma, Hollywood Bitch, Too Cool Queenie, Long Way Home
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 10:32:13 AM by (I Forgot) Tuesdays Left in '07 » Logged

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2007, 12:27:23 AM »

Stone Temple Pilots
Shangri-La Dee Da
Tiny Music ... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop
No. 4
Purple
Core