Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 05:44:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227983 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Green Day
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Green Day  (Read 32520 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2005, 09:55:48 AM »

actually that second guitarist does all the lead work.

he does the solos too.

quite strange really. maybe billie didnt want to have to worry about pulling off the solos live. Huh

Which would be strange because if you've seen them live before, you know that Billie Joe can play a lot more than the power chords in their songs.

Ha! Green Day's guitar work is as bad as Busted's hihi
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 10:19:45 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2005, 11:16:36 AM »

He's been with Green Day for years.
I forget his name off the top of my head... but he's definitely not a new addition by any means
Veon
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2005, 11:47:54 AM »

His name is Jason White
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2005, 11:50:28 AM »

Yeah I think he's been around since the Dookie days, I could be wrong though. ?

I don't really get the situation. ?Why not just make him part of the band since he plays basically every song. ?I don't know if it is an arrogant thing where the 3 want all the cake to themselves in interviews or what because that's the only time when he's not included. ?It sort of pisses me off to when at like the VMA's they will have the spotlight on the 3 and the guitar for hire will be off soloing in the shadows and they don't even show him. ?Obviously the royalties on the songs play a key issue. ?

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2005, 02:35:23 PM »

Their songs are based on power chords.  I heard Bille Joe breeze through Eruption and it sounded a hell of a lot better than anything to come of out Robin Finck.   It wouldn't suit their music to include long complicated solos, but that doesn't mean he can't play them (and make them sound good).  Therefore it's suprising that he would need someone else to play the small leads when he's perfectly capable of doing it.

Sorry, did you have a point other than you like to bitch about everything?
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2005, 04:04:09 PM »

Their songs are based on power chords.? I heard Bille Joe breeze through Eruption and it sounded a hell of a lot better than anything to come of out Robin Finck.? ?It wouldn't suit their music to include long complicated solos, but that doesn't mean he can't play them (and make them sound good).? Therefore it's suprising that he would need someone else to play the small leads when he's perfectly capable of doing it.

Exactly. Well put.

Billy Joe is a hell of a guitar player but since they've been playing punk structure songs since they were 16 years old, what's the point in playing like Yngwie Malmsteen? Truth is, for some of the doubters, if you check their first album 1039 Smooth out the slappy hours you can hear solos is pretty much every song. Billy joe was 17 years old at the time, and the solos were pretty good then. From that point onwards, the band has played more power chords than anything.

Some of you need to listen to some of the stuff before actually make comments about it. Izzy, no pun intended, but it's kinda funny you are talking about Green Day's guitar work when you are a self-confesed Limp Bizkit fan. Where's the guitar work there?

im rickjames bitch
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2005, 05:33:11 PM »

billie joe still did the when i come around solo at a gig i saw in january  smoking
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2005, 05:57:36 PM »

i've heard stories about billie joe playing eruption.

are there any clips or anything?

i just cant picture him playing it.
deliverthecow
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2005, 06:29:29 PM »

Billie Joe Armstrong does not get enough credit as a guitar player. He is a pretty damn good guitarist, i seen them play Def Leppard's Photograph and he smoked on the solo. He just gets slammed because alot of there early songs are three power chords. American Idiot has some fine playing on it, especially the song Homecoming, the riff is killer in that song.
badapple81
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2006, 04:53:52 AM »

I just listened to the old albums and forgot about how I used to love the old tracks like Welcome To Paradise and Basket Case. Walking Contradiction is a cool song too. GN'R fans probably don't like Green Day but for me they are a solid kick ass band with an excellent catalogue of good tunes (get their old International Superhits album) I'm regretting not seeing them at their recent gigs here. They even came back to Australia a second time for a huge gig at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2006, 09:59:32 AM »

GunnerDU,

Try even the older albums..."Kerplunk" & "Smooth out the slappy hours". Those were the first two Green Day albums. Released on 92 and 89. Lyrics are very similar (it's what you expect from a teenager, Billy Joe was 17 in 89) but the albums are good. Lot's of good songs in there. Both albums were released on "Lookout"; an independent label in Berkeley. The sound is more raw.

Try to download "Going to Pasalacua", "2000 light years away", "Who wrote Holden Caulfield", "No one knows", "At the Library".

Green Day were critically acclaimed then, small fan-base, great gigs (my first GD show was in 92). Then they became huge worldwide with Dookie,  some of the older fans critized them for changing labels (called them sellouts) and they had to carry that stigma since. Today, people just like to critize them cause they've achieved great success again with American Idiot (an amazing record). I guess it's the cool thing to do. Let's hate Green Day cause everyone likes them.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2006, 12:04:50 PM »

Try to download "Going to Pasalacua", "2000 light years away", "Who wrote Holden Caulfield", "No one knows", "At the Library".

I guess it's the cool thing to do. Let's hate Green Day cause everyone likes them.

That's always the way it is... once you're popular, everyone's got an opinion on you and a lot of the time it's negative.  I guess the dust has just about settled for American Idiot... It was pretty successful no?   Shocked

Yeah, definetaly start with Going To Pasalacqua... still one of, if not THE best song they've recorded.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2006, 06:05:53 PM »

Their songs are based on power chords.? I heard Bille Joe breeze through Eruption and it sounded a hell of a lot better than anything to come of out Robin Finck.? ?It wouldn't suit their music to include long complicated solos, but that doesn't mean he can't play them (and make them sound good).? Therefore it's suprising that he would need someone else to play the small leads when he's perfectly capable of doing it.

Doesn't change the fact Green Day's guitar work is rubbish. If he can play better then not only is he a member of a shite band, but an idiot for not using his ability

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2006, 06:13:56 PM »

Doesn't change the fact Green Day's guitar work is rubbish. If he can play better then not only is he a member of a shite band, but an idiot for not using his ability

Blah, blah, blah, they write a handful of the catchiest songs ever.  No need to mess with the formula.

Stop Whining!
Gunna_girl01
Rocker

ROCK AND ROLL A WAY OF LIFE

« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2006, 11:13:11 PM »

i dont get into green day myself....

LIVE IT LOVE IT CHERISH IT
FOR ROCK AND ROLL
IS MY LIFE
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2006, 02:26:17 AM »

Their songs are based on power chords.  I heard Bille Joe breeze through Eruption and it sounded a hell of a lot better than anything to come of out Robin Finck.   It wouldn't suit their music to include long complicated solos, but that doesn't mean he can't play them (and make them sound good).  Therefore it's suprising that he would need someone else to play the small leads when he's perfectly capable of doing it.

Shit like this is called trolling. If you don't like the bands guitar work, don't listen.  rant

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2008, 07:09:11 PM »

its been a good few years now since american idiot and green day were HUGE.

I liked the song when it first came out, as i could like pop punk back then and hadnt gotten into glam metal and other metal etc.

I could never appreciate jesus of surburbia or any of the awesome strong tracks on the album.

I turned my back on the band when i started to become sick of seeing them everywhere it drove me mad, green day everywhere.

Its been a long time now, being much more open minded in music and maturer than i was back then.

I can appreciate what a great album this was and what a great impact it had.

The album is made by a punk band. So they are going to be limited. But frankly, this album is not a punk effort.

It is an arena rock album. Just look at at, big drums, sing along parts. its got gang vocal HEYS. All the elements of an arena rock album that is exactly like a 00's formula of bon jovis slippery when wet.

some songs arnt as good as others but some songs are brilliant. The later videos when they got bigger, reminded me of gnr illusions era videos, huge videos that told a story, high budget.

The band did push for a big album and think about it, showed that an album can still be big in the 21st century, rather than just a single, they proved music can still be how the artist wants, aslong as it needs to be that epic 9 minute songs can hit the airwaves and receive frequent play. It was a huge album. Think about how big it was really. sure the band and the music isnt as good as for example def leppards hysteria, but in scale of popularity over one album and success this album is this generations big arena rock album i feel.

Sure theres better artists, everyone knows what music i love the most and support the most, but i wont ignore a quality album just because its by an artist with a reputation and label as a no brainer pop punk band.

(btw i like insomniac, i liked it when i was a kid, great aggressive album)

html sucks
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2008, 08:38:45 PM »

I like Brain Stew.
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2008, 01:56:22 PM »

I took my kids to see American Idiot.  I had never paid attention to them before that.  I must say my husband and I enjoyed it though!!!  I remember they picked 3 people out of the audience to come on stage.  One to play drums one to play lead and one on base I think.  Pretty entertaining mind you.  One of the 3 kids was having his 18th b-day that day, and Billy Joy let him go home with his guitar that night, a birthday I am sure he will always cherish.  They also had a fire hose they brought out and completely douched the audience with, that was completely unexpected!!!

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »

Blah, blah, blah, they write a handful of the catchiest songs ever.? No need to mess with the formula.

I wouldn't say they are the catchiest songs ever, but i agree that they're pretty awesome all the same.    I just checked wikpedia, apparently they're gonna begin recording a new album this month, should be pretty awesome when it's released!

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: